Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I just had a little thought about the Nemesis. Given that it is a 190 point (plus commander unit) dedicated almost entirely to firing that one shot per turn from the big gun, and given that any opponent with sense will try really hard to keep out of its LOS, it really does matter that it actually hits something.

Would it be over powered to give it the targeting computer bonus of the Ares (cannot be modified to be worse than a 3+)? I was just thinking that if you are playing against skimmers then that death laser will probably spend most of the game trying to hit on 4+, one or two misses and it really won't contribute much to the battle. Maybe even just grant the bonus to the main gun but not the two railguns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Im just surprised it lost the nanoswarm

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

MisterShine posted:

Im just surprised it lost the nanoswarm

It needed to be meaningfully different to the Hades. Also Hawk get two uses from the same component as Barros uses it as well. Molds are expensive! ;)

Wind Tempest
Oct 9, 2007

I am the culmination of all that is wrong with japan.
Just wait for the White Mage variant of the Hades. White nanomachines everywhere.

I would totally field it.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I have about 200 bucks to spend on PHR.

What should I buy?

I was thinking:
Starter, Zeus blister, Triton A2 blister, Janus Blister

but, then some goon comes in talking about Angelos swarm, and i get confused.

Vvvvvvvv: thanks a ton!

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Apr 9, 2015

Wind Tempest
Oct 9, 2007

dexefiend posted:

I have about 200 bucks to spend on PHR.

What should I buy?

I was thinking:
Starter, Zeus blister, Triton A2 blister, Janus Blister

but, then some goon comes in talking about Angelos swarm, and i get confused.
I would say replace the Janus Blister with the Mercury Drones. Those guys are super useful for objectives while still being fast enough to help out. They also give the Tritons a pair of E10 missiles for free to give it a chance at cracking some of the bigger tanks. Other than that I think that is a good start.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

A second starter pack is really useful and the cheapest way to give yourself more options.

You will probably want to pick up a few Triton A1's and Sirens too, they are pretty much core units.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
God drat. These are some nice miniatures.

I'm super excited about this game, and looking forward to getting my first game in on Wednesday.

Is there a good way to get cheap terrain other than the paper stuff?

I am going to experiment with modding some Really Useful Box's.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Kleenex boxes and sharpies?

I'm having a hard time imagining cheaper urban terrain than printed and stapled buildings.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Just got done working with stencils. What do you guys think?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Painting Thread X-Post

I really am happy with how they turned out! I also got to play around with enamel filters and washes!

Edit: Um, it looks like i missed a panel line! Guess i get to go touch that up!

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

dexefiend posted:

Painting Thread X-Post
<snip>
I really am happy with how they turned out! I also got to play around with enamel filters and washes!

Edit: Um, it looks like i missed a panel line! Guess i get to go touch that up!

These look excellent!

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Very nice indeed!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Those are great. It's going to be interesting to see how that scheme translates onto the robots though. They're a bit more fiddly and I'm guessing it'll be harder to get the stencils on them, especially on the legs. You'd probably be better off painting them before assembly.

Speleothing posted:

I'm having a hard time imagining cheaper urban terrain than printed and stapled buildings.
Yeah, the card buildings put out by Hawk are actually pretty nice for what they are. They're nothing special, but they're fairly sturdy if you glue or staple them together. The only issue is that then they can't be broken down for easier storage.

atal
Aug 13, 2006

burning down the house
The card buildings are good - I've not glued mine because a big selling point for DZC for me is its portability - if I have to carry around a huge bag of glued buildings that lessens substantially.

Those PHR look amazing, by the way.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Either this can go terrible or extremely well.

[size=150]Standard Army[/size]
Clash: 1493/1500 points
Standard Army
  • PHR Standard Roster [1493/1500 pts]
    • [color=#915591]Hand of the Sphere[/color] [380 pts]
      • Nemesis: Nemesis(Grand Vizier), Poseidon [380 pts]
    • [color=#98741F]Battle Pantheon[/color] [414 pts]
      • Battle Squad: 4x Ares, 2x Neptune [248 pts]
      • Battle Squad: 2x Phobos, Neptune [166 pts]
    • [color=#697641]Immortals[/color] [212 pts]
      • Immortals: 2x Immortals, Neptune, 2x Juno A2 [140 pts]
      • ^ Sharing ^ Immortals: 2x Immortals [72 pts]
    • [color=#A29B28]Heavy Pantheon[/color] [275 pts]
      • Hades: Hades, Poseidon [275 pts]

Wind Tempest
Oct 9, 2007

DJ Dizzy posted:

Either this can go terrible or extremely well.

[size=150]Standard Army[/size]
Clash: 1493/1500 points
Standard Army
  • PHR Standard Roster [1493/1500 pts]
    • [color=#915591]Hand of the Sphere[/color] [380 pts]
      • Nemesis: Nemesis(Grand Vizier), Poseidon [380 pts]
    • [color=#98741F]Battle Pantheon[/color] [414 pts]
      • Battle Squad: 4x Ares, 2x Neptune [248 pts]
      • Battle Squad: 2x Phobos, Neptune [166 pts]
    • [color=#A29B28]Heavy Pantheon[/color] [275 pts]
      • Hades: Hades, Poseidon [275 pts]
You are going to need at least another Pair of Phobos otherwise your opponent is going to be flying all over the place.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I agree, more AA will be needed. Maybe get some Helios in there in place of Ares? I'd even consider losing an infantry squad and putting the third in a Triton to free up a few points.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Maybe consider dropping the dropships for the Nemesis and Hades? They both (especially the Nemesis) have enough range and enough speed that they'll be threatening the middle of the board just by walking on the table. Just about the same points as 2 Phobos in a Triton too (I don't have the army list builder open and am too lazy to do the math).

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013
Can anyone point me to some words on how the different factions play? There are enough excellent models spread across the factions that pure aesthetics aren't going to make the choice for me, so I'd like to have some idea of their table personality to help decide.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

MCPeePants posted:

Can anyone point me to some words on how the different factions play? There are enough excellent models spread across the factions that pure aesthetics aren't going to make the choice for me, so I'd like to have some idea of their table personality to help decide.

I really need to go back and add that bit to the OP. Chip in with your words of wisdom people so I don't write utter bollocks.

The brief versions:

PHR: The walking turret army. Slow, heavily armoured walker units typically packing long range and high powered weapons but due to fairly high costs will have slightly less units on the field. I often feel like I'm firing fewer but more powerful shots than my opponent.

Scourge: The opposite of the PHR! Fast but fragile, they are the most aggressive army with brutal but painfully short ranged weapons. If they can get their guns into position, the target will bleed.

UCM: The air faction, at least in theory. Recent changes are pushing them more in line with this original theme. They have a lot of tanks. I see them as being quite middle of the road as they are not as tough as PHR but not as mobile as Scourge/Shaltari.

Shaltari: Teleportation is their thing. They use units equipped with teleportation gates to magically move units across the table. They have lighter armour but more defence shields ('passive' invulnerability saving rolls) than the other armies. They have a very different play style to the other factions as they behave so differently.

Resistance: Two armies in one and the faction I have most trouble summing up (because I haven't actually played them yet). Can be played as Mad Max post-apocalyptic 'Ferals' or as the noble freedom fighter 'Allied'. Depending on which you pick certain unique units and command cards are available. The core units are either recovered over-engineered pre-war military vehicles (big heavy stuff) or scavenged and repurposed civilian gear. There is an option here to play them as a horde army or as a much smaller elite force.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

The better version

PHR: The true saviours of the galaxy.

UCM: Ignorant, wayward brothers. They will be destroyed.

The Scourge: Dirty xenos

The Shaltary: Dirty xenos

The Resistance: Who?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Giant Ethicist posted:

Maybe consider dropping the dropships for the Nemesis and Hades? They both (especially the Nemesis) have enough range and enough speed that they'll be threatening the middle of the board just by walking on the table. Just about the same points as 2 Phobos in a Triton too (I don't have the army list builder open and am too lazy to do the math).

I missed that bit, definitely drop the Poseidon carrying the Nemesis at least. It is intended to sit at the back of the table firing the death beam. It was the first thing Hawk Dave said about it while I was at Invasion, the point of giving it infinite range is that you don't need to advance with it other than to lock down any focal points near to your table edge.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I've been slowly building up a PHR army over the last 6 months. It'll probably be a while before paint them all, but I'm most excited about having really cool I-am-legend style terrain

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Feral resistance owns bones, sorry.

I really liked the tanks and dropships to begin with but now I am really into the mad-max style feral poo poo and want to take berserkers

Wind Tempest
Oct 9, 2007

Only reason why I play feral resistance is because of Salakahn. I am fielding an old earth army. All tanks all the time. None of this re-purposed mad max stuff.
I also play PHR.

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

After wanting a simple, easy to read and use reference for all the faction units, and not finding one that I liked, I decided to make one of my own. It started out as a spreadsheet-like layout, but then I simplified it to something usable on my smartphone.

Given I have no idea how to create an app, I thought a PDF with links displayed at full-screen would be functionally similar in the most basic way. It's still a work in progress (as error-free as I can manage) and made to suit the Nexus 5 screen dimensions, but should scale okay with faction logos being the only rasterised aspects. Figured I might as well share it in case anyone else has a use for this. Here's the link to it on Google Drive.

I also made a general reference sheet, based on one I saw on the Hawk Forums. It's more for printing (A4 page size), but should be fine on tablets too. If there's interest for that, here's the link.

As for faction discussion, the Resistance is what inspired me to jump on the game and I pre-ordered the big army pack from Hawk very early on. Especially after the release date changed, the wait was killing me. I caved and bought some Scourge soon after and have been loving it ever since. My Resistance models have been slowly coming together, but they haven't even hit the table yet with the Scourge having plenty to offer and mess around with. At least there'll be plenty of time to experiment with weathering effects the Resistance models really deserve.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Are there any UCM or PHR models that are just huge stinkers rules-wise? By the same token, are there any UCM or PHR models that are essentially autoinclude (either as part of faction design or because they just happen to be way too good)?

Edit: reason for asking: is there anything that I shouldn't fall in love with aesthetically because it will only let me down, or any models that I will definitely be taking so I had better learn to like the look of?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sulecrist posted:

Are there any UCM or PHR models that are just huge stinkers rules-wise? By the same token, are there any UCM or PHR models that are essentially autoinclude (either as part of faction design or because they just happen to be way too good)?

Edit: reason for asking: is there anything that I shouldn't fall in love with aesthetically because it will only let me down, or any models that I will definitely be taking so I had better learn to like the look of?
There was a FAQ pretty recently that addressed a lot of the problem units in the game. For example, the UCM gunship gained evasion countermeasures and a points decrease while the PHR dropships were discounted across the board. Hawk seems to want every model to be usable which makes a lot of sense. This means you're free to buy whatever catches your interest.

As far as auto-includes go, there's not much other than basic infantry. Yeah, each faction's standard tanks and anti-air are going to feature in most lists, but they can be worked around if you want. Infantry are an absolute must though given how objectives work in this game.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

There was a FAQ pretty recently that addressed a lot of the problem units in the game. For example, the UCM gunship gained evasion countermeasures and a points decrease while the PHR dropships were discounted across the board. Hawk seems to want every model to be usable which makes a lot of sense. This means you're free to buy whatever catches your interest.

As far as auto-includes go, there's not much other than basic infantry. Yeah, each faction's standard tanks and anti-air are going to feature in most lists, but they can be worked around if you want. Infantry are an absolute must though given how objectives work in this game.

Cool, okay. I'm going to wait for images of the starship game before making a decision (BFG was a huge part of my adolescence, and hearing last year that Andy Chambers was on board is what switched me from "that looks cool" to "guess that'll be my mid-to-late-2015 hobby project") but I appreciate any help I can get. There are some Resistance and PHR models I really love, and I dig the fluff for both, but most of the UCM range speaks to me in a way that many Resistance/PHR models don't. I think I might dislike the hovercraft and walkers, respectively. But I also hate the big C&C-style UCM tracked aircraft carrier.

Edit: If I were to pick up a blister of Raven Type As, Raven Type Bs, or Falcons, just to paint, which of the three would be the easiest to fit into a fledging starter-box-based UCM force if I end up going that route?

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 20, 2015

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Are the refrigerators for UCM still worth running?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sulecrist posted:

Edit: If I were to pick up a blister of Raven Type As, Raven Type Bs, or Falcons, just to paint, which of the three would be the easiest to fit into a fledging starter-box-based UCM force if I end up going that route?

Well, the Raven A's are infantry transports so you'd be able to use them, but you'd have to switch out the APCs and their transport to do it. The B's would need other models since they can only transport the war buggies and an artillery unit right now. Falcons are just taken on their own so they'd probably be your best bet and give you some sort of air support. They got a boost recently and are actually worth taking now.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

DJ Dizzy posted:

Are the refrigerators for UCM still worth running?

Hell yes, they are not a must take, but the drones are fantastic for keeping your opponent on their toes - you can rush them into AA before your other aircraft - you opponent is then given the choice of firing on them, using up their AA fire for this turn, or letting them come in and hoping they don't wipe out the AA unit, allowing them to fire at a more juicy target.
Just treat the drones as what they are - expendable thorns in the enemies side. But make sure you protect your fridge - losing it can hurt.

Sulecrist posted:

You'd want Ravan A's - if you play a bit you realize that the APC/Condor option is too slow and to unwieldy. Most people at Invasion were running at least two infantry units in light dropships, as its faster and much more flexable. and UCM infantry is so bad they will die if attacked in CQB by most other races, so you want to be able to spread yourself around.

The B's are only useful if you want Longbows or Wolverines (you will) and the Eagles have just gotten a nice boost. They were to expense and fragile before, now they are cheaper and harder to hit!

When I get paid I'm picking up the Oppressor, the Phoenix and some Archangels, I really want to try a air heavy force for the UCM now.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

Hell yes, they are not a must take, but the drones are fantastic for keeping your opponent on their toes - you can rush them into AA before your other aircraft - you opponent is then given the choice of firing on them, using up their AA fire for this turn, or letting them come in and hoping they don't wipe out the AA unit, allowing them to fire at a more juicy target.
Just treat the drones as what they are - expendable thorns in the enemies side. But make sure you protect your fridge - losing it can hurt.

You'd want Ravan A's - if you play a bit you realize that the APC/Condor option is too slow and to unwieldy. Most people at Invasion were running at least two infantry units in light dropships, as its faster and much more flexable. and UCM infantry is so bad they will die if attacked in CQB by most other races, so you want to be able to spread yourself around.

The B's are only useful if you want Longbows or Wolverines (you will) and the Eagles have just gotten a nice boost. They were to expense and fragile before, now they are cheaper and harder to hit!

When I get paid I'm picking up the Oppressor, the Phoenix and some Archangels, I really want to try a air heavy force for the UCM now.

That's exactly the kind of force I'd want to run. The Phoenix is, at least in pictures, my favorite DZC model I've seen, and an UCM air force would breathe new life into my moldering Aeronautica Imperialis dreams. Hopefully there are some starships at Salute so I can make a faction decision already.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Salute is meant to be the big reveal for the spaceship game, so not long to wait now!

Before the recent errata came out I would have told you that the Kodiak can often be an underwhelming unit and that the Phoenix looked to be much more fun, but then it got buffed to have an AoE attack so it will probably be much more scary now.

For the PHR the Menchit has often been maligned but it too got buffed. It probably still suffers from over specialisation as do all flamer units, but hopefully will prove more useful now.

Sirens and light dropships (Triton A1) are very common picks for PHR as are Enyo's. You will probably always find room for at least a couple of Phobos in your lists as they are a really solid AA unit. Basically you should get a plastic army set or two and magnetise the arms on the type 1 walkers to give yourself some core options.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm really excited for more infantry across all the different factions. I love tanks, but having different troops that can take on vehicles owns. The game is all about buildings anyway, so it'll make it more interesting.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, you'd totally want to replace the APCs with aerial transports. I should have mentioned that that's pretty much standard for all armies right now. I'm not really sure what they'd need to do to make regular APCs more attractive. Most of them carry more infantry, but they're not nearly as flexible.

BULBASAUR posted:

I'm really excited for more infantry across all the different factions. I love tanks, but having different troops that can take on vehicles owns. The game is all about buildings anyway, so it'll make it more interesting.
It seemed like Hawk has some cool ideas for expanding infantry a bit. I remember that they're looking at power armored UCM dudes, little Scourge monsters, more various cyborgs for PHR, and who knows what the gently caress for Shaltari. Infantry right now basically come in two versions, basic guys and CQB specialists. It'll be cool to see more variations like those Resistance bikers.

I know they're planning on showing off the spaceship game at Salute, but has anything been said about when we might see these new units?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Safety Factor posted:

I know they're planning on showing off the spaceship game at Salute, but has anything been said about when we might see these new units?

At Invasion in February they were talking about (hopefully) getting a new expansion book out by the end of the year. The new commanders final rules would clearly be in it and it would be very likely that the new Infantry will be too otherwise it would be a pretty lightweight expansion.

I think we may be seeing more teasers on the infantry at Salute along with the remaining famous commanders.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Aight

I am currently on a tear trying new games, and DZC's on the list. Are there currently any pitfalls to avoid when buying in new? New edition coming out soon? Anything? Also I am wanting to play with PHR and Resistance, so I don't want the starter set. What supplies do I need?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
The PHR plastic infantry suck, otherwise the plastic starter box is a good deal and you'll use all of the units. The only unit not worth taking is the Menchit. Otherwise a starter box or two and 2+3 boosters + your commander is more than enough to have a fun solid army.