Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

signalnoise posted:

OK I am going for a Skynet vibe with my PHR guys. Is this too simple a scheme to use on an entire army?

Some silver highlights would also go a long way on that little guy. Maybe color your metal tubes parts brass?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

BULBASAUR posted:

Some silver highlights would also go a long way on that little guy. Maybe color your metal tubes parts brass?

WWTKD (what would t-1000 do)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

signalnoise posted:

OK I am going for a Skynet vibe with my PHR guys. Is this too simple a scheme to use on an entire army?

I'd think about picking out the radiator panels in a darker colour, and maybe the fans on the engines, but apart from that, it looks good!

Ugleb posted:

I think the take home here is that while DzC can certainly do the 'mass battle' thing, it probably isn't the go-to game size. The next time we do a Battle sized game I'm thinking we might go with 2000 points. That is 500 more than the tournament standard but still low enough that you can't just take everything and it should keep the game from slowing down.

Yeah, the extra 2 foot of board threw us, and we spent a lot of turn 1 trying to figure out where to place out units.

Then our shooting was terrible - we have 6 sabres and 4 Ares fire at each other, the next result was one dead Sabre! At least my new Phoenix was awesome, it didn't take any fire but it can put out some nice damage!
We also used a lot of fast movers, and I think the UCM's Seraphim is actually under rated - the close fire can pick off a unit quite easily, and the Sledgehammers been boosted to Demoliser D3+3, meaning a hit on 2+, then enough energy to get a 2+ damage roll means your doing 4-12 points of damage to a building - a couple of them will take down most buildings using the tournament building DP of 10/20/30. (Which is our default now, so as not to get into bad habits of thinking buildings are harder than they are.)

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm looking to pick up a Ruinscape, but its out of stock everywhere in the states. Anybody know of a online store that has it in stock at a reasonable price?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

BULBASAUR posted:

I'm looking to pick up a Ruinscape, but its out of stock everywhere in the states. Anybody know of a online store that has it in stock at a reasonable price?

I ended up just buying it direct from Hawk. The dollar is decent enough against the pound right now that it's not much difference buying direct, though to make it work out for shipping you have to order about 140 bucks worth of stuff total.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
My FLGS hosed up my order so now I have some Praetorian Snipers. What's the best way to use these guys?

atal
Aug 13, 2006

burning down the house
In my experience people tend to over-estimate the amount of models they can kill per turn and they end up refusing to put infantry anywhere near them.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Got my resistance starter set this week and yesterday I picked up the Alexander and some freeriders as well as the commander cards . I have to say I love the Alexander in every way from fluff to stats to the actual model itself. It's so godamn ridiculous and I look forward to playing it in some games. Any other models I should pick up?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

The Sisko posted:

Got my resistance starter set this week and yesterday I picked up the Alexander and some freeriders as well as the commander cards . I have to say I love the Alexander in every way from fluff to stats to the actual model itself. It's so godamn ridiculous and I look forward to playing it in some games. Any other models I should pick up?

Put that together and get a feel for the game I'd say otherwise I'm going to tell you to go buy most of the stuff out there... ;)

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
The first batch of the new infantry has gone up for pre-order on Wayland games along with fluff descriptions. Interestingly the Ronin apparently don't come with bases so I guess that makes them almost small vehicles. I'm assuming that the Mortars will be indirect fire and that the Longreach Team will get the shaped charge rule and passive counter measures.

http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/2177-dropzone-commander

UCM - Legionnaire Mortar Teams

The Colonial Legionnaire Corps commonly use infantry portable support weapon teams alongside the deployment of regular troops. Each legionary is trained to use these weapons and many hope for a rotation to support duty where they can cause destruction. The firepower gained is fair more than their assault rifles and despite losing their most effective tool in CQB engagements most troopers willingly make the exchange.

The Standard Infantry Mortar is a versatile weapon that is most dangerous when used in groups where they are able to rain down unstoppable firepower. It requires a crew of 2 to operate and can fire explosive cluster round.

Scourge - Eviscerators

Although normal Scourge Destroyers are brutal and dreaded opponents, Eviscerators are truly terrifying. It is well known that Scourge parasites begin to lose their grip on their host when they reach and old age which can result in the insane remnants of the hosts wracked psyche coming forward. Using a destroyer as a host is even more dangerous, turning them into raging monsters with a desire to destroy every living thing around them.

Shaltari - Ronin

As the frontline assault troops of the Shaltari, their primary role is to strike first from unexpected places. Each of these individuals lives for nothing but war with an obsession that is all consuming. During battle they favour heavy war suits and towering constructs. Though too large to enter building, when armed with a pair of Gauss Carbines they are great to dart and weave their way through the battlefield and killing their foe.

PHR - Immortal Longreach Team

The Long reach Rifle is usually carried by a heavy weapon bearer among regular immortal teams. However, on some occasions, whole squads have been sighted armed with these rules. Individually they are dangerous, but collectively they are lethal to armoured units, where they are extremely accurate and have high velocity fire.

These long reach teams are also anti-personnel snipers whenever they are called to a task, there their high powered weapons represent total overkill against the heaviest infantry armour.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Do any of you folks magnetize your dropships and vehicles so that you can have stuff hanging from your dropships as they drive around? I'm trying to figure out how to do that for the UCM dropships that come in the starter set (Condors).

I've got a few problems:

First, if I'm slapping three smaller tanks (Rapiers or Sabres) in a Condor, it looks like I can only mount two tanks on each dropship without getting in the way of the airship stand mount. I suppose I can deal with that by just magnetizing the front and rear mounts, and leaving one of the tanks off the table when they're embarked?

Second, where do you guys throw the magnets? I can see two options - I could mount them along the spine of each Condor. But if I do that, it looks like I'll need to mount the magnets somewhere on the top of my Sabres, Rapiers, and Bears. But I don't know if that'll work, because I won't be able to get the mounting points on the Sabres/Rapiers close enough to the magnets on the Condor for them to stick. Similarly, it looks like I'd need to drop the magnets somewhere in the Bear's turrets, which I think might end up pretty ugly. Alternatively, I could mount them in the grippy clamp things on the side. That seems like it'd work better, but for some reason it makes me a little nervous about getting the spacing just right. Is that the typical thing?

Third, how do you guys position the turrets on the UCM tanks (Sabres, Rapiers)? I like the idea of having those turrets up a little bit, so they're more dynamic, or able to rotate as they drive around the table. But it looks like they really need to be tucked away as flat as possible to fit in the dropships. Am I missing something? Or is there a way I can have my cake and eat it too?

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

I do for all my Scourge and PHR but not really too sure about the UCM stuff

The effect is worth figuring out though, looks fantastic when your ships drop off their cargo

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
The AT-77 Lifthawk can carry 2 Hannibal tanks as advertised with no modifications, which would also apply to the Zhukovs. However, it cannot carry the 3rd Jackson halftrack, nor can it carry the M3 Alexander because both of those use the central mounting point which is obstructed by the flying base stick.

You would have to change the way the dropship is mounted in order to allow them to fit on. It's a really cool thing to aspire to but honestly I can't deal with the amount of asspain it would cause me to make my Lifthawk model carry those.

Also the Scourge are the easiest, as the only one I had issues with was the Rapier AAGT, and it's down to the turret elevation.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

I tend to mount my flight stands to magnets anyway so if I ever do resistance It'll just involve another magnet on the bottom of whatever tank, similar to what I did with the Scorpion Tank

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost
Any Dropzone players here going to gencon? I would love to get some games in if anyone else is interested.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I think UCM are the hardest faction to magnetise and require things like custom flight stands to make it work well. I haven't seen any examples of finished units that I can think of. :(

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Finally had time to work on my little micro machines. I spent a good 4 hours cleaning, magnetizing, and gluing about 10 PHR vehicles.

The detail is amazing, but because of how tiny these models are the tiny mold lines are annoying. They’re in hidden places though, which is a well thought out perk. I’ve also found that the resin has little raised edges everywhere almost like the marks left over after you machine a piece of metal. I have no idea if these will stand out after I paint the models, but I’ve been sanding them away with fine grit sandpaper which removes them and some the detail with it. The drat panel lines pretty shallow before I do that, so I then have to score into them with a blade.

I didn’t expect this much work. That said, I just cleaned and magnetized 1/5th of my army in a few hours so it’s pretty quick compared to 28mm.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
My stuff isn't 100% complete but it's in a state where i'm not ashamed to put it on the table :v:

That said, UCM are indeed a piece of work to magnetize. I ended up milling my own claps that have a bit more clearance than the originals. If you use the resin ones and was them to properly grab around the sides of the tank you're stuck putting the guns in the folded position.

I use 1mmx1mm cylindrical magnets and put them at the end of the clamps and the sides of the vehicles, everything i'm encountered so far has features that help with alignment, like panel lines or counting grooves on the attachment points. My own clamps come with holes for the magnets, on the stock one you should again be fine with counting grooves and then punching a decent pilot hole with a pin before drilling.
l]

It's possible to fit all three tanks under a condor if you make stand with an off-center peg, it should go right in front of the second to last clamp-mounting-point thingie. I milled a little bit that fits around the ribs of the spine in that place to give me a little more meat but the spin itself is wide enough that you can drill a hole for 1mm steel wire into it if you're careful.

And yesterday i finally got around to milling Raven clamps, with wolverines the rod fits between them and with a longbow i am just going to put a hole for the flightstand into the longbow itself and have the dropship rest on top of it.

So yeah, if you don't have access to a CNC mill good luck with magnetizing UCM. It's certainly possible but you'll have to mount your weapons flush and find a way to get custom flightstands.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Bistromatic, just incase your wondering, your poo poo owns

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

Bistromatic posted:

My stuff isn't 100% complete but it's in a state where i'm not ashamed to put it on the table :v:
<awesome stuff>

That is pretty fantastic.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Goddamn that looks awesome.

Unfortunately I only have 3mm magnets on hand right now, meaning all my tanks are going to have some bizzarely huge magnets on each side. Oh well, at least the army will have a unified look? And there will be matching magnets on the clamps so that's something. Doing two per vehicle like you have would be nice to keep them aligned, though. Maybe I'll get some small magnets and do that next time. (Also I might have been dumb and used a drill instead of a dremel to do my 3mm holes because the bit wouldn't fit in my hand drill, and I might have slipped once or twice so that now I have some "battle damage" on some tank treads...)

How did you do the custom flight stands? I figure that for now I won't worry about them and will just load two tanks into each condor to preserve access, but in the long term I'd like to do something like that. I was thinking of using some sort of bent metal wire, but I have no idea where to start.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Thanks y'all!

The flight stands are also self made, using again the CNC mill at work. I've actually been thinking of selling those and gotten some interest but nothing has come of it yet.
They're made from 1.5mm acrylic and 1mm steel wire. The wire is just pressed into a slightly smaller hole. If you can get some acrylic bases without a hole and a 0.9mm drill you should be able to do the same. To press in the wire i remove the bottom end of my pin vise so it holds the wire like this:

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Ugleb posted:

I think UCM are the hardest faction to magnetise and require things like custom flight stands to make it work well. I haven't seen any examples of finished units that I can think of. :(

And now I have! Great stuff there Bistromatic!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Has Dropfleet Commander got a release date yet? This year perhaps? Me and a friend were about to buy some Firestorm Armada stuff for BFG proxies but after seeing the models for the UCM we decided to hold off.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ijyt posted:

Has Dropfleet Commander got a release date yet? This year perhaps? Me and a friend were about to buy some Firestorm Armada stuff for BFG proxies but after seeing the models for the UCM we decided to hold off.

The tentative goal is out in time for Christmas, but might be early 2016. So something like 6-9 months from now.

It sounds like they are mostly done on design and are getting the manufacturing lined up.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I'm still questioning the absolute utility of the Feral Beserkers, they seem like an extremely niche unit which for 9 extra points could be a bunch of loving amazing general infantry which can do pretty much everything the Berserkers can do and actually shoot mans properly. If you used a Battle Bus, the Occupation Vets end up being better due to the ability to gently caress homies up with drive-bys, therefore you'd almost be better off using them Jacksons carried around in a Lifthawk, but then you have a small unit size AND they are more expensive.

They both got a 4pt reduction in the FAQ but I'm still not convinced that Beserkers are worth the reduction in armour and loss of guns when the Occupation Vets gets guns, E11 hit for every 3 hits, and Dodge +5. It's a shame that they both take up an Exotic slot because you could have a really awesome CQB murdermachine Feral thing if Berserks could just be Troops.

e: Could it be that you just don't want to send in your good mans to clear a building? You'd still need to follow up with regular Fighters in order to capture an objective, but on the same hand you could send in Occupation Vets into the same scenario and they'd pretty much do just as well.

Recoome fucked around with this message at 12:23 on May 22, 2015

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
I found a bunch of stuff I bought for this ages ago, a UCM resin starter that was missing one dropship and the Sabre unit. I've since bought in quite big, buying the plastic UCM starter, a blister of Falcons (having just read the thread from pages 1-7 I see I may have blundered, they're not supposed to be all that but they look cool), a Kodiak and a Condor for it.

If I understand right I can arrange these units into a list like this:

quote:

Command Section:

Kodiak + Condor
3x Rapier + Condor

Armour Section:

3x Sabre + Condor
2x Falcon

Infantry Section 1:

3x Legionnaires + Bear
3x Legionnaires + Bear
Condor

Infantry Section 2:

3x Legionnaires + Bear
3x Legionnaires + Bear
Condor

Support Section:

3x Rapier + Condor

After adjusting around for points, is that enough to make a solid starting list? I know nothing of the rules, it's just going on what I own and what looked cool. My next priorities, I suppose, are bulking out my tank squadron to the full 9 tanks/4 Gunships, getting some of the recon buggies for my command section (should I get missile or chaingun ones, I think the missile ones look cool as hell) and maybe some more tanks?

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Laser Lenin approves of hobo murder simulators.
Falcons got evade (like most gunships) in a recent FAQ so they're a lot harder to kill now, and so are pretty drat good.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Yeah Falcons got much better recently so don't worry about that.

If you haven't already, download the FFOR army builder, there's a link in the OP. It is great for visualising options with battlegroups.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006

Ugleb posted:

Yeah Falcons got much better recently so don't worry about that.

If you haven't already, download the FFOR army builder, there's a link in the OP. It is great for visualising options with battlegroups.

I've downloaded FFOR and it doesn't seem to let you have units share a dropship - if I select an Infantry section with the "2 Bears + 1 Condor" transport option, it gives me an error saying that I've selected the wrong transport option (even if I have 2 full units of 3 stands of troops each). Is this a problem with the program or is the starter box unit selection not legal?

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Bob Smith posted:

I've downloaded FFOR and it doesn't seem to let you have units share a dropship - if I select an Infantry section with the "2 Bears + 1 Condor" transport option, it gives me an error saying that I've selected the wrong transport option (even if I have 2 full units of 3 stands of troops each). Is this a problem with the program or is the starter box unit selection not legal?

You have to tell FFOR that you want to share the transport. You can set that via a contextual menu by right-clicking on the infantry element with the transport.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Only observation I have atm is that people don't normally bother putting the Kodiak in a Condor. It's job is usually to be parked behind a building bringing down its indirect fire pile driver from space.

That's not to say you can't do it, just that it is generally considered not worth it. If you have a few points spare then why not.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
If you have two commanders in your list and the higher-ranked one is in a command unit but the lower-ranked one isn't in a command unit, when using the lower-ranked commander to measure SoI for command cards do you use the higher ranked commander's radius in full or half it for not being from a non-command unit?

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

You'd only use the lower value one when the high rank one is dead, no?

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006

Ugleb posted:

Only observation I have atm is that people don't normally bother putting the Kodiak in a Condor. It's job is usually to be parked behind a building bringing down its indirect fire pile driver from space.

That's not to say you can't do it, just that it is generally considered not worth it. If you have a few points spare then why not.

I was misinformed then - when the people I was talking to about the game were explaining how to get started they said everything starts in a transport and you could only take units without aircraft if you were defending.

I take it if I buy some of the artillery pieces they probably don't need airlifting in either?

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

Wales Grey posted:

If you have two commanders in your list and the higher-ranked one is in a command unit but the lower-ranked one isn't in a command unit, when using the lower-ranked commander to measure SoI for command cards do you use the higher ranked commander's radius in full or half it for not being from a non-command unit?

You always use the CV and Radius of the highest ranking Commander on the table. The lower-ranked unit behaves much like a Scout in this instance. Page 38 of the core rulebook has the info for Sphere of Influence.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Bob Smith posted:

I was misinformed then - when the people I was talking to about the game were explaining how to get started they said everything starts in a transport and you could only take units without aircraft if you were defending.

I take it if I buy some of the artillery pieces they probably don't need airlifting in either?

Some scenarios require that all units start off the table 'in readiness' which means that everything moves onto the table in turn 1. For most things that means you will be flying them on in dropships but you can walk/drive units on under their own power IF they do not have a transport. If they do have a transport then they must fly on and deploy from it.

Units like the PHR Nemesis (a massive type 4 walker) in particular are intended to walk on and sit in the back doing their thing. You would then pair them up with scout units which project your commanders sphere of influence further into the field while they hang back in relative safety.

Indirect fire artillery are another good choice to walk on and again pair up with scouts to help direct their shooting.

So basically I'm saying that not everything must be in a dropship and that you should look at scout units for synergy. Mmmm synergy.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Bob Smith posted:

The rules for Longbows (the UCM artillery) specify that transports are compulsory for them since they can't move on their own at all.

I've seen some discussion about waiving the dropship requirement if dropships aren't allowed by the scenario and just using them as stationary defenses basically but that'd be a house rule.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Bob Smith posted:

At invasion this year I actually mentioned to Hawk Dave that I feel a little bad about driving the Kodiack on.

His reply was "Don't - Always be driving on."

Also, when you get a Ferrium, you don't want to be paying for an Albatross to move a unit that will spend all its time sitting around pumping out drones.

Bistromatic posted:

The rules for Longbows (the UCM artillery) specify that transports are compulsory for them since they can't move on their own at all.

I've seen some discussion about waiving the dropship requirement if dropships aren't allowed by the scenario and just using them as stationary defenses basically but that'd be a house rule.

Not 100% true - if you are playing a scenario that allows direct deployment, then you don't need the dropships - however, you'd need to know this ahead of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Laser Lenin approves of hobo murder simulators.
I drive all my scourge tanks on as well. It sometimes takes them an extra turn to get in range, but I have 3 or 4 more tanks when I do which normally works out better long term. (Also the original med and large drops his for Scourge are silly looking).