Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Slyphic posted:

Considering how much I rag on TTC for lack of quality control, it's crazy to think they're holding back enough horrific mistakes to make 60 cubic inch blocks of them.

I think if you can gently caress up casting one piece moulds you probably failed life somewhere in primary school.

Now that I think about it that's probably why they're 2 pound blocks of resin, the casters can't be trusted not to gently caress up a 2 part mould pour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Well the whole point of their resin terrain is to grind up and recycle resin, so why not just go for it?

I do wonder if at some point they will run out of their waste resin backlog to recycle into terrain and be unable to restock things.

Would they start buying other companies waste?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

If they don't announce the 32mm game by Christmas I dunno what they are doing.

Can't decide if I like this siren thing. It is a bit unusual which is good, hopefully they don't go overboard on sexy cyborg ladies though.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

Ugleb posted:

If they don't announce the 32mm game by Christmas I dunno what they are doing.

Can't decide if I like this siren thing. It is a bit unusual which is good, hopefully they don't go overboard on sexy cyborg ladies though.

That's not even a unit in the game right now, at least not one I recognize.

Spandex crotch is edging towards fodder for the Uninspiration thread.

Head looks lifted pixel for pixel off the gas mask alien lady from Mass Effect.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Slyphic posted:

That's not even a unit in the game right now, at least not one I recognize.

https://ttcombat.com/products/siren-corps-1

?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

"They don't wear helmets and carry dual pistols!" The internet cries out. But yeah I assume it is some melee Siren variant.

It kinda bugs me that all of the elite PHR infantry is female for some reason. Hopefully they take the Carnevale approach and aim for roughly 50/50 gender representation.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Nothing really matches 'Siren Corps' sirens for me.

On the other hand, Valks are just junior sirens, per their description:

quote:

The Siren Corps is an elite group of women, capable of utilising the multiple viewpoints of their weapons and their superior training to deadly effect. The ability to make the grade is rare however, owing as much to genetic makeup as it does to personal ability and mind-set. Hundreds of PHR warrior women do not make the grade, yet are highly trained and implanted with top level military modifications. This enhanced dexterity and athleticism is used by PHR forces in the form of Valkyrie squads.

and helmet looks most like the new Valk sculpts (not so much the old ones), and the rest of the model sans armor.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

New BBs coming next year - https://community.ttcombat.com/2022/12/13/advent-calendar-2022-day-13/

UCM Hanoi

Scourge Beelzebub

We've jokingly called my Perth 'The Compensator' for a while now, but he's nothing compared to the Hanoi. Looks like it's still prow magnetizable to me, but unless there's another piece for a BB kit #2 that's much cooler I think I'll probably pass.

Need a better view of the ventral side of the Beelzebub to pass judgement, but 'big hanging gun' looked dumb on the Remus (and the Slaughterer in zone, and the Eradicator's Bio-Mortar variant ... and the Obliterator's stupid hat gun. Man, I really hate big weapons hanging off models) and I'm not feeling it either. That said, I was also down on the initial [strike]Brigand[/strike] Corsair with Arc Caster, and it got better, so fingers crossed Dave tweaks them til they're better.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Scourge one feels a bit front-heavy with that head:body ratio, but might just be the picture. I hope the underslung weapon is for bombardment, it'll be nice to have something outside light tonnage for that role.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Sojenus posted:

Scourge one feels a bit front-heavy with that head:body ratio, but might just be the picture.

It's definitely a rendered picture issue. The lack of focal length really skews models like this. You can see it in the UCM one as well. It'll look way better when they get a test print out. At least the prow. It still has ship dong.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Honestly I think they are fine but don't excite me. Presumably the other factions also have new variants on the way.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

https://community.ttcombat.com/2022/12/16/advent-calendar-2022-day-16-drop-universe-news/

32mm models are on sale now.

There's no game for them yet.

is coming 2024(?) but in the meantime there's a coup[e side projects in the dropverse, one of which is a boxed game named 'hunter' about picrel

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Hunter has to be a Kaiju battle game on that jungle planet, right? Shangri-la I think?

Presumably it is 10mm using the beasts.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Dropfleet Famous Commanders Released - PDF Link

This feels less like a well thought out expansion to the game and more like Flightwing Commander. Something to mostly ignore after January.

I'm pretty disappointed, there's basically nothing here that would change force orgs, and the abilities are per TTC's usual all over the place from extremely meh to "did you fuckers even playtest this? Even once?" And many of them don't even really make much sense.

I want to especially call out Quetzalcoatl for an ability that has no mention in his blurb whatsoever, isn't limited to his ship's weapons, and you can see the entire thought process on display 'dur, it's named uranium and uranium is radioactive'. That's it. That's all the further they thought this through. They based the ability off the name of the ship class, not the commander. It's like if there was a commander whose backstory is about superlative time-on-target munition use, but his ship is named the Fiesta, and thus his ability is some poo poo about piñatas.

Please for the love of god tell me this is from before Dave took over and TTC didn't infect him with their mediocrity!

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 20, 2022

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

That Hunter PHR walker is feeling a bit too... anthropomorphic for my taste.

Did they develop Rumbleslam on their own? As far as I know, all their other systems were existing ones they bought, so if not, would that make Striketeam their first fully in-house developed game? Flightwing sort of counts but I'd consider that more a mini-game.

Wish the Achilles admiral had more oomph to it, the Achilles is a ship I always want to work but never does enough.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

They labelled it with "both players must agree to using these rules" which means they know it isn't balanced or going to be used in tournaments as-is.

Which does mean that it will probably end up collecting digital dust.

Sojenus posted:

That Hunter PHR walker is feeling a bit too... anthropomorphic for my taste.

Did they develop Rumbleslam on their own? As far as I know, all their other systems were existing ones they bought, so if not, would that make Striketeam their first fully in-house developed game? Flightwing sort of counts but I'd consider that more a mini-game.

Wish the Achilles admiral had more oomph to it, the Achilles is a ship I always want to work but never does enough.

Yeah I'm pretty sure Rumbleslam was an TTCombat original. They also have an all MDF spaceship game lurking in their webstore that exists for some reason. So I guess Striketeam or the Halfling jousting game will be original game #3.

Ugleb fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 20, 2022

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Sojenus posted:

Did they develop Rumbleslam on their own?
They did. Lewis Clarke did an interview where he talked about it. They did a kickstarter with only a rough idea of how the game would play, and he wound up assigned to making it an actual game.

Lewis Clarke posted:

“Have you got experience using Adobe Suite?” “Yep, I’m very well versed in all of that.” And they’re like, “Cool because we’ve got this game RUMBLESLAM, and we’re sort of 50-60% of the way along, but we’ve got no idea how to turn it into an actual game”.

They’d got all the rules and the models were getting made and stuff, but as far as graphics and presentation and actually writing things up in a coherent way, they didn’t really know what to do with it. It was the first game they put up on Kickstarter, it was successfully funded, and it was about a year and a half later at the point I joined. So I went upstairs and joined in and sort of took over the design of that and was extremely bossy and very belligerent towards everyone, and sort of pushed everyone out of the way and became head of design eventually after that, as well.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

New Resistance unit is on the way, The Atilla.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Those weird looking tracks from the preview image make more sense now, but I can't decide if I like it or not. It looks silly in a good way, but also stumpy! I wonder if they're not giving their in-house painter enough time to work on these things, this and the Ravens from yesterday both have a grainy texture that seems like something you'd want to strip off and redo on a model you're showcasing.

In any case, played a game of Fleet for the first time since last autumn over the weekend, and forgot how fragile the Scourge dreadnought actually is compared to what you'd assume. It's so tempting to go in blasting with it, but not taking advantage of stealth/cloak just gets it dumpstered.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Sojenus posted:

Those weird looking tracks from the preview image make more sense now, but I can't decide if I like it or not. It looks silly in a good way, but also stumpy! I wonder if they're not giving their in-house painter enough time to work on these things, this and the Ravens from yesterday both have a grainy texture that seems like something you'd want to strip off and redo on a model you're showcasing.

I like the low angle shots of it, but it is a quirky thing. Curious to see what the rules are, it strikes me as a mini version of the Pizzaro.

The paint jobs are falling a bit short of inspirational, I do agree. The Carnevale models are solid though, either it is a different painter or maybe vehicles aren't their style.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Ugleb posted:

The paint jobs are falling a bit short of inspirational, I do agree. The Carnevale models are solid though, either it is a different painter or maybe vehicles aren't their style.

I think I saw a post from them mentioning that a model came back from commission, so who knows who's painting what!

Anyway, I gave a shot at putting a little bit of effort into assembling a slideshow with free Youtube music video of the previously mentioned game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbktetiuvCY

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
What's the enth year reflection on dropzone commander like, is it an obviously broken/boring game or is there an accepted fair rules/missionset?

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Toalpaz posted:

What's the enth year reflection on dropzone commander like, is it an obviously broken/boring game or is there an accepted fair rules/missionset?

Without recounting the whole storied history, the best received edition of the game was the public beta from 2018 that was beingly widely played in the great lakes region of the US. That was the height of the game's popularity. The 2017 tournament pack was the best missionset.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Slyphic posted:

Without recounting the whole storied history, the best received edition of the game was the public beta from 2018 that was beingly widely played in the great lakes region of the US. That was the height of the game's popularity. The 2017 tournament pack was the best missionset.

Thanks, this is really helpful. I'd love to take a slice of those rules and try and decide if I can sell this game to friends again.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Toalpaz posted:

Thanks, this is really helpful. I'd love to take a slice of those rules and try and decide if I can sell this game to friends again.

Scroll down to the Beta section, it's all there. https://wiki.friestman.net/dzc/files 2.4.1 was the last official release, but while the company was going under and being bought out by new management, the playtesting group was still iterating and expanding to cover all the units, but it's in raw text and tables marked 2.5.7. And there's been quite a few units released since the Beta was taken behind a woodshed and executed.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

We played a 1750 pt game UCM vs PHR on TTS. (Version. 2.x)

It was just as uh, idk. The game just always had a bunch of high stakes 3-6 dice rolls that can be deflating when you miss. He knocked out 4 (6 hits) of my tanks with stealth missile crits. The game was fine, but the Super heavy tank walker + sirens felt difficult to play around, so all my armour got blown up and even though I took 6 rapiers, and 8 AA wolverines I was unable to down more than 1 drop ship.

His own Anti Armour did nothing, just stealth missiles + strafe gauss and sirens mopping up my 10 bases of infantry. Still I took down a fair portion of enemies, it just felt weirdly decisive.

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 13, 2023

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

The UCM don't have many good counters to the PHR hexapod walkers. Mostly the Broadsword which is a single die attack and still feels swingy, but that's your can opener.

Sirens are also a problem, they're one of the baddest rear end CQ units in the game and the UCM just kinda doesn't have anything like that. You kill them with fire, crashing vehicles, or by dropping buildings.

6 Rapiers should have been making more of a dent than that, barring EM Field bullshit or bad luck. Wolverines vs PHR were always going to be a struggle, they're just not built for taking down that heavy of targets. Now vs Scourge light flyers, they make great fly swatters.

This was a first game? at 1750pts? Who built the forces?

You typically start off with a 999pt almost symmetrical game for good reason, there's absolutely lists that just dominate others.

In regard to the Beta rules though, the biggest difference in the game you played would be the Sirens would be less overwhelming, as they take simultaneous CQ damage, so they can't just alpha strike their way through 10 bases of infantry. They were also more limited availability.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

I've played like 3-4 over many many years. We each made our own lists, but he just took things he has irl. He likes the fat walker, I just mostly lose to it.

In the new simplified rules they specify that buildings only create collateral damage on critical hits (which like, we assumed was a 6's but that's actually overkill in previous editions right?) and we played the bunker mission with actual bunkers, (20 damage pts) so the opportunity to knock down buildings was low.

I took a janky Kodiak + 6 longbows mostly because I wanted to fart around with indirect fire. I think a flame tank + better building destruction rule adherence would make the sirens manageable. We may go play beta rules again, because we both liked the simultaneous combat phase too and the CQB 'shooting' felt bad with the whole defender disadvantage thing (missing a turn).

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

I forgot to call out the mess that is Collateral. Blocked it out of my mind.

They replaced the simple blow through damage that's deadly to infantry with a convoluted token tracking system that hits weakly, is meant to kinda-sorta represent the building crumbling AND fire spreading , which it never does, it only represents fire dying out which is lame and boring. I hate it. A person that isn't good at designing games wrote that garbage.

Scroll down to 'Demolition and Collateral' - https://yadzcb.friestman.net/dzc-houserules-v220.html if you want to drop-in some rules corrections to v2 that fix demo.

I'm going to preemptively respond to any cries of 'but that makes buildings too deadly to infantry, too easily destroyed', yes, that's the point, that's how it should be. Dropzone works best in a rock-paper-scissors-lizard-spock pentagon of intermeshing systems. You shoot down air transports with your AA, you shoot AA with anti-tank, you shoot tanks with heavier tanks, you ignore heavy tanks to drop infantry in buildings to capture objectives. If you ignore enemy tanks, yeah, buildings fall. Got a problem with falling buildings? Shoot some damned tanks.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Buncha new units came out today. https://community.ttcombat.com/2023/03/10/multiple-armour-battlegroups-are-available-today/

They actually went through with the Dingo that got leaked 2 years ago, that has a concrete cannon it fires to reinforce buildings. Scourge and PHR new units look fairly cool. Meh on the Shaltari and UCM, and the resistance walker doesn't work for me at all.

But also, the worst typos I've ever seen. Like to the point they have to be taking the piss, right? The Scourge box was so bad I threw it in a text editor to track everything wrong with it.

Oh yeah, still have the 2021 leaks of the Dingo and Jackal, for comparison's sake.

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 10, 2023

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

The Dingo has had some anti-infantry added to it at least. The idea of killing a swarm of Medusa nanobots with a can of concrete spray foam is funny.

The Luna seems powerful at first glance, while the rest of the units look generally ok, which is fine. The worst seems to be the Jackal, the high shot low energy units never seem to accomplish much besides demo, and tech killer stops it from that.

And yeah, I gave up reading the post when I got the Scourge box description and just went to look at the boxes on the store to check out what was in them. I'm not expecting poetry out of marketing copy, but at least fixing the colored underlines in Word seems like a reasonable baseline standard.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

I think I might actually get one of the Scourge boxes. A spazzing cat caused two of my models to break in unfortunately unfixable ways; a ravager and a stalker, leaving me with 2 of each which is completely loving worthless. So I need to replace those. And another Harb would be useful, I have the other other big walker but not this one, and I kinda like the new scourge models.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

So, Dave is getting more visibly active again:

A Q&A about lore/hobby stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLLfEPl1Zdk

Additionally, they're looking for feedback about the current rules for Dropzone to start work on a new version, so if you used to play but dislike the state of the game now (which frankly seems to be the more common opinion), they're asking for emails at gophermafia@gmail.com detailing examples of the good/bad/ugly.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

New Version is happening, gently caress yeah. Dave is righting the ship.

Now, to compile my spittle flecked hateful rantings into a coherent document I can show other people.

This may take a few days.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

He did say it was harder to get comments about things people like over dislike, so having your manifesto include comments on the good from any version of the rules will probably get it more weight from him.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Sojenus posted:

He did say it was harder to get comments about things people like over dislike, so having your manifesto include comments on the good from any version of the rules will probably get it more weight from him.

Good note, I can definitely do that. My own houserules is like a collection of the best bits from all three editions, so there's definitely things I can put forward as "I love this, here's why" as opposed to just making GBS threads all over v2. But there's exceedingly little I actually like about v2 that wasn't in the beta first. ... non-deviation of indirect attacks (with tweaks) and objective passing (with tweaks)... yeah, I've got literally nothing exclusively positive to say about Clarke's rules.

ETA:

sky posted:

Sky here. Effectively I have been asked to collect data and feedback on all versions of the rules, and fan addendums as well. As such, I am trying to facilitate as much as possible by putting the different versions of rulesets I was asked to focus on out there for the community. Hence the addendum to 2.0, and also the 1.5 Beta. Other folks addendums and homebrew stuff is good for testing too, I just need feedback and testing info to be clear and balanced so I can put it all together for review at an unspecified time later in the year. Part of this is awkward because there is no NDA, just a pre collection of feedback and testing before we (Dave himself) go to outlining the next step, and we then test that a little before we probably make an big change. That and I don't want any of this to seem like it in any way invalidates the current rules, but just helps determine what the DZC community loves and doesn't.

So to be safe and not take away TTC's ownership In deciding when to make official announcements, we stay unofficial, but with a very official purpose and reporting to the source of our dropverse. Probably enough careful and vague word salad lol"

"Effectively do a lot of pros and cons of the different elements of the systems. As per Dave, it is a lot harder to get info on what is good than it is to get info on what is bad. Also, specific breakdown would be good; as in show what happens when there aren't open transports, vs. when there is, and how that impacts the objective game and AA usage. Whatever feedback you out together just email it to the Gopher email and I'll keep compiling it all. No amount is to little to be appreciated, but for the sake of completion we need some empirical examples not just lists of complaints. And again, we need the good things too! Now, there is an indeterminate amount of time for all this, but you'll know we are getting close to the end of me compiling when I start putting out polls for questions I want more data and feedback on. Hope that helps, we are all in this together!"

So, by request of Dave/TTC, but being done by Gopher.

I shall write my magnum opus of dropzone criticism, fit to make Harold Bloom shed a tear of admiration.

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 21, 2023

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Necro

Played a game of dropfleet yesterday, 1k of my friend's PHR vs some shamefully underpainted (except for two cruisers) Scourge of mine. Just a refresher game mostly, as it's been a while since had DFC on the table, and we all had new models. But also, TT made some major changes to both of these factions and we were curious if it was as bungled as it looked.

Scourge burnthrough lasers are either a colossal fuckup or typo but that's a meaningless distinction so let's go with colossal fuckup and leave it at that. The Daemon scourge BB there did 16 points of damage with a single shot on turn 2; 9 crits from the 4 atk 3+ lock burnthrough 10 corruptor lasers, and then because those were all crits, 7 of 9 failed saves during cleanup for damage control. loving evaporated the damned thing. Which lead us to go hol' up, wtf, seriously? and check the rules and stats and sure enough that's what Corruptor does, those are the stats in the PDFs, but NOT the stats in the builder which had it at lock 4+ and no corruptor so we had to check the FAQ and sure enough, the bullshit version is what they intended. Immediate summary houserule, and game continues. The PHR without fusillade and with so many linked broadsides has no good reason to go WF ever which feels very meh.

My big dude opened up WF on turn 3 and crippled three ships (one of them would have been another 14 damage if we had used the busted B5 Shadowtech laser), which then ate everything the PHR could throw at it with a flared up signature and it died before the end of the turn. A blaze of glory. Calibre H hurts.

Frustratingly, the ground game was pretty boring because nothing could really reach opposite side clusters, and the center was basically a stalemate. We were really careful to get all the debris field penalties and checks right, which is something we often forgot.

I like the Scourge stealth play style, and the ships are gorgeous, but more than ever I feel like if we're going to play this more than once in a blue moon we really have to knock up houserule stats. TT updates them about about half as often as we play and there's always seemingly some dog turd in them we have to step around.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
That's unfortunate with the rules. I stopped playing due to a combination of pandemic and hating the fleet builder website, and was hoping Dave being more involved with the rules would improve them a bit.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

It's a shame that Scourge burnthroughs (and light calibres) were so disproportionately tuned up, because I think most of the other changes were good. Wouldn't have minded random CAW attacks remaining on a few things like Wyverns for the gambling fun, but every ship having them did slow things down for not much benefit. The bombardment boost and Senator changes are what I want to mess around with when I get the chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

I don't miss the random CAW rolls at all, and the bombardment I'm kinda sad we didn't get to try out at all because I think it was a good change. It's just really overshadowed by the stuff they screwed up for no good god damned reason in our minds.

Don't feel the smooth parts, just all the snags and snarls.

I didn't mention in earlier, but the ships that downed the Daemon, that damage was pretty evenly from a pair of Castors on weapons free (100pts, fusillade guns), pair of Electras on weapons free (130pts, heavy calibre guns), and a single Ajax on standard orders (90pts, light broadsides).

Also, something I never noticed before now, when I wanted to check the PHR names because I get them wrong often. The PDFs have those list of 'famous ship names' for every class of ship, and the first famous name of a Medea strike carrier is Castor.