Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

I really like the look of the scourge dropships when fully loaded. Once they drop their ships though I just drive them into a building out of pure embarrassment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Laser Lenin approves of hobo murder simulators.
One of my many, many, many potential future projects is to convert the medium ones to have the tanks hanging below the main dropship body, rather than above. I think that'll got long way to de-derpifying them.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

As a Shaltari player I seem to end up driving like half my stuff onto the board because all of my poo poo is expensive and I could buy more gates I guess, except I like to have redundant gates for my infantry just in case and also more gates=less PEW PEW PEW.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hawk owns. I bought some Helios tanks from ebay and one ended up having a nasty miscast on the turret. I contacted the seller and he told me "Just email them, they'll send you a replacement part for free. They did this for my army a few months ago."

So I sent them a picture of the unopened package and asked if I could exchange it. The next day they mailed me out a replacement, no questions asked. Now I have x4 hover tanks instead of x2 :v:

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

BULBASAUR posted:

Hawk owns. I bought some Helios tanks from ebay and one ended up having a nasty miscast on the turret. I contacted the seller and he told me "Just email them, they'll send you a replacement part for free. They did this for my army a few months ago."

So I sent them a picture of the unopened package and asked if I could exchange it. The next day they mailed me out a replacement, no questions asked. Now I have x4 hover tanks instead of x2 :v:

I find Hawk to be something of a double edged sword on this front. I have had to contact them about missing or miscast parts a couple of times now, but each time I have they send the part quickly and no questions asked. So I love them for their customer service but would rather not need to use it so much.

I am giving them a certain amount of leeway as they are still a young company and most of this technical stuff seems to be issues with their earlier resin designs.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I've got a newbie rules question for you all. The rules on embarking and disembarking are confusing to me. You can embark and disembark in the same turn, but not embark, disembark, then embark again, yeah? I assume that's to stop you from shuttling APCs to pull infantry out of a building and then back onto the drop ship all at once?

But how does that work when multiple units are doing stuff. Assume, for instance, that I have a drop ship with transport with infantry in the APC. I fly up to a building (half speed on the drop ship), disembark the APCs (do I need to land the drop ship?), then the APCs can move half their speed then disembark the troops? Can the troops then enter a building? Or can they only do that directly from the APC without extra movement?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Arcturas posted:

I've got a newbie rules question for you all. The rules on embarking and disembarking are confusing to me. You can embark and disembark in the same turn, but not embark, disembark, then embark again, yeah? I assume that's to stop you from shuttling APCs to pull infantry out of a building and then back onto the drop ship all at once?

But how does that work when multiple units are doing stuff. Assume, for instance, that I have a drop ship with transport with infantry in the APC. I fly up to a building (half speed on the drop ship), disembark the APCs (do I need to land the drop ship?), then the APCs can move half their speed then disembark the troops? Can the troops then enter a building? Or can they only do that directly from the APC without extra movement?

You want page 49 section 8) Transports Within Transports. You can perform two embark/disembark actions with each transport in a single turn.

Your Dropship moves up to half of its full move to drop off the APC within 3" of itself. You can choose to land the dropship if you want, or to keep it in the air. As it says at the very top of page 49, landing & taking off again is considered part of the disembark action.

Your APC has at this point performed one of its disembark actions to get itself on the ground. It may now perform a half move of its own and use its second disembark action to unload the infantry it is carrying, at which point it is done for the turn.

If the infantry are being deployed within 1" of a building, then they may deploy directly inside of it.

Going in reverse, the infantry could leave the building to board their APC within 1" of the building, which can then do a half move to return to within 3" of the dropship and embark. The dropship can then do a half move but the APC's will not be able to disembark again this turn as they have already performed two embark/disembark actions (loading the infantry then boarding the dropship).

If you had an APC on the ground with troops inside at the beginning of the turn, then embark into its dropship which would do a half move, then the APC can disembark. The APC could do a half move either before boarding the dropship or once it disembarks but not both. It also won't be able to deploy the infantry this turn as it spent the whole time getting on and off the dropship.

Hopefully I explained that clearly and correctly!

Ugleb fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 31, 2015

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
I played my first game today and it was super fun. I had my UCM stuff and was up against Scourge. We both had similarly sized forces, the starter set plus a command vehicle and a small unit of gunships.

In my opponent's case the command vehicle was a giant space crab thing that had a 12" radius zone of death that did Energy 11 hits to everything on the ground within 6" on a 3+ and 7-12" on a 6+. What I quickly realised was that while my command vehicle was a beefed up APC which could be shot at by his dropships, his tanks, his command vehicle and basically everything, his was a 6HP flyer that moved fast enough to nuke my AA (which needed 3's to hit and 4's to damage) and could potentially kill multiple units per shot more easily than a single E13 Area 5 shot hitting on 4+ most of the time (2+, -2 for Indirect Fire, can't fire on the move).

The game ended up a draw as I drew a lucky Underground Monorail card and hopped from one objective to the next, while my Falcons got a hail Mary shot off on his last surviving APC and did just enough wounds to destroy it, followed by a 6 on the explosion chart to kill his full-strength infantry squad. All he had left was a single tank (which missed my Kodiak on a 2+ to hit for 3 turns running), all his dropships (because my AA had all died trying to bring down his command plane) and that damned command thing on 3 wounds left.

My only losses were my AA unit and 2 single infantry off one stand, killed by falling rocks after he shot his command plane's laser on full beans Energy 13 Devastator mode into the building they were hiding in.

It seems against Scourge at least bringing more AA is a good bet - being able to lock down approaches against dropships with your overwatch threat, and being able to reliably take on the giant flying laser crab thing, seem vital. My tanks ran out of targets super quickly after my Falcons annihilated his tanks, a nuke from the Kodiak killed his entire AA unit in one shot, and their cannons were reduced to shooting buildings. Meanwhile the gunships used their absurd move to stay out of his short ranges, kill all his APCs and that was that.

I now want to buy all the models and play more games of this. Given I currently have all of 2 starter sets save one unit of Sabres, plus 2 Falcons and a Kodiak, are there any must-have UCM units? Because I'm now quite scared of the Scourge command bomber thing, and one of the other people at my club has bought Resistance including their special character bomber, I figure some AA threat is a good bet. Looking at the list the options seem to be more Rapiers, although I already have 6, some Archangel fighters which look sweet as hell, or the Wolverine scout car things which also increase my radius for playing cards and can spot for the Kodiak.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Ugleb, thanks! That helps a lot. And if a unit embarks or disembarks, it cannot shoot, regardless of whether it is the transporter or transportee, yeah?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Arcturas posted:

Ugleb, thanks! That helps a lot. And if a unit embarks or disembarks, it cannot shoot, regardless of whether it is the transporter or transportee, yeah?

Correct, although the dropship itself can still shoot.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Bob Smith posted:

I played my first game today and it was super fun. I had my UCM stuff and was up against Scourge. We both had similarly sized forces, the starter set plus a command vehicle and a small unit of gunships.

In my opponent's case the command vehicle was a giant space crab thing that had a 12" radius zone of death that did Energy 11 hits to everything on the ground within 6" on a 3+ and 7-12" on a 6+. What I quickly realised was that while my command vehicle was a beefed up APC which could be shot at by his dropships, his tanks, his command vehicle and basically everything, his was a 6HP flyer that moved fast enough to nuke my AA (which needed 3's to hit and 4's to damage) and could potentially kill multiple units per shot more easily than a single E13 Area 5 shot hitting on 4+ most of the time (2+, -2 for Indirect Fire, can't fire on the move).

The game ended up a draw as I drew a lucky Underground Monorail card and hopped from one objective to the next, while my Falcons got a hail Mary shot off on his last surviving APC and did just enough wounds to destroy it, followed by a 6 on the explosion chart to kill his full-strength infantry squad. All he had left was a single tank (which missed my Kodiak on a 2+ to hit for 3 turns running), all his dropships (because my AA had all died trying to bring down his command plane) and that damned command thing on 3 wounds left.

My only losses were my AA unit and 2 single infantry off one stand, killed by falling rocks after he shot his command plane's laser on full beans Energy 13 Devastator mode into the building they were hiding in.

It seems against Scourge at least bringing more AA is a good bet - being able to lock down approaches against dropships with your overwatch threat, and being able to reliably take on the giant flying laser crab thing, seem vital. My tanks ran out of targets super quickly after my Falcons annihilated his tanks, a nuke from the Kodiak killed his entire AA unit in one shot, and their cannons were reduced to shooting buildings. Meanwhile the gunships used their absurd move to stay out of his short ranges, kill all his APCs and that was that.

I now want to buy all the models and play more games of this. Given I currently have all of 2 starter sets save one unit of Sabres, plus 2 Falcons and a Kodiak, are there any must-have UCM units? Because I'm now quite scared of the Scourge command bomber thing, and one of the other people at my club has bought Resistance including their special character bomber, I figure some AA threat is a good bet. Looking at the list the options seem to be more Rapiers, although I already have 6, some Archangel fighters which look sweet as hell, or the Wolverine scout car things which also increase my radius for playing cards and can spot for the Kodiak.

I can't speak from experience, but I hear good things about Katanas and Wolverines. Again, it all depends on your list. With my PHR my goal is just to own enough to make whatever army I feel I want to play.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Ugleb posted:

Correct, although the dropship itself can still shoot.

Really? Huh. That is strange. I'll have to re-read that section.

That said, I played my first game this morning. It was excellent, and the game's focus on objectives really stood out. My friend and I played the standard starter game (4'x2' board, UCM and Scourge starter armies, 3 objectives placed in middle buildings). I was able to annihilate all his AA with a lucky round of shooting from my three tanks. From there I was able to dominate the middle of the board, picking off all his tanks and losing only one. Unfortunately I couldn't kill off his APC's dropship and, when I concentrated my troops in the middle building to kill off one squad of his infantry, he snagged a side objective and snuck it off the table. I wasn't able to discover (seize?) either of the two remaining objectives with my squads, meaning I lost 2-0 even though I killed all his units except for a single APC with 3 infantry bases in a dropship with one DP left.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I played Scourge for my first few games and yeah, AAA such as the Rapier are absolutely pro against that kind of poo poo. The issue is that you'll have less against more conventional forces like PHR or Resistance, which can actually bring a suprising amount of armoured hurt.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
So the game has had an update what is the new good video to teach me how to play?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Herr Tog posted:

So the game has had an update what is the new good video to teach me how to play?

The updates are wide ranging tweaks to point costs and a handful of stats/abilities. Also the command card decks. The actual core mechanics are unchanged really so the old vids are still good.

Maybe the biggest mechanics change is that commanders in aircraft can take focal points now.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ugleb posted:

The updates are wide ranging tweaks to point costs and a handful of stats/abilities. Also the command card decks. The actual core mechanics are unchanged really so the old vids are still good.

Maybe the biggest mechanics change is that commanders in aircraft can take focal points now.

sweet, thanks!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Finally got a Ruinscape and am working on setting it up. For the money, its a fantastic deal and a fast way to get into the game. Pretty impressive for $35.

For those of you with the paper buildings- did you do anything to reinforce them? The paper is nice and thick, but it bows on the bottom and isn't that heavy. Any easy solutions?

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

I was more interested in the fact it could flat pack back down so I haven't made any changes to it

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

MisterShine posted:

I was more interested in the fact it could flat pack back down so I haven't made any changes to it

This tbh! :)

I have heard of people mounting them onto thicker card for more rigidity though. I can see the appeal if you have the space to store it all.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

I debate mounting the 1x1 s on a foam board or something

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
That's exactly what I'm doing- mounting everything to a foam board. On a related question, any idea how people got this effect with flock?

I'm guessing they used a spray adhesive and just sprinkled it over the top.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Fuckin' wizard powers

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
It sort of looks like what happened when I spilled my superglue, and then my flock right after, because I was surprised by spilling my superglue and tried to save it, and the flock was in its floppy plastic tray thing.

Maybe you could recreate the accident, like when Doc tries to help Marty get home.

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

I wonder if you could spray some varnish on the board to protect it before spreading on some thinned PVA glue and sprinkling on the flock, just like it was another hand-crafted terrain piece.

Also, if any players in Australia want to reinforce their cardboard buildings, Aetherworks make some MDF kits for then to slide over. They also make MDF kits to suit the print and play buildings on the Hawk website. I think the latter are better as they have ledges built into the design, whereas the others rely on the folded cardboard at the top. No idea what their international shipping is like if anyone else is interested.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
The rules for the PHR snipers and the UCM mortars are up on their respective pages and some guy on the forums dug up a link to the eviscerator rules even though they aren't officially linked yet: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0159/4298/files/Eviscerators_-_Experimental_Rules_1_web.pdf

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Eviscerators are going to be horrific in CQB and a bitch to kill. Armour 4 and can never lose more than 1 DP to a hit? Nasty. I really like that they get penalties for objective searching and Intel rolls. They can't find objectives in the first turn of search and are more likely to set off a bomb when looking for Intel - and they cant find objectives that way either.

Immortal longreach teams look good. 5 shots per base with shaped charge at 24", so 10 per squad! I really like that they are a troops choice rather than exotic, but are rare so probably won't replace regular immortals entirely.

I see on the Hawk forums a lot of people think that we will start to see a meta shift towards more infantry, and they are probably right. Of course that also means that flamer units will become more relevant in turn, which is great!

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Please make Beserkers infantry now, so I may complete my Mad Max resistance

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I spent about 10 hours this weekend putting together some of my PHR army, including plastic, metal, and resin. I now feel pretty familiar with the materials and quality so I thought I'd share my experience so far:

Pros
  • Detail on the resin models is outstanding and, in my opinion, more intricate than Forgeworld
  • Plastic vehicles have less detail than the resin ones, but it's not too significant a difference. The plastic kits are a great deal and good way to add more core transports and units into your army
  • You don't need to wash the resin models with hot water and soap after you prep them
  • Because of the scale, there aren't that many opportunities for conversions, which means I can't go crazy with them
  • Very few mold lines on the plastic vehicles. They are much less work to clean than the resin ones

Cons
  • Plastic infantry are very poorly detailed. I'm throwing all mine away and using metal ones instead (PM me if you want them for free)
  • Resin models have a strange surface texture similar to metal after its been machined flat a few times. I'm not sure if this will show after a layer of paint, but I'm going over everything with fine grit sandpaper because I'm worried that it will. This adds a lot of time to the project
  • The resin models have lots of annoying little mold lines, on par with what I get from Forgeworld. At 10mm though, removing them means you end up scraping away detail in the process. At 10mm, probably not as big a deal, but its still annoying since you pay premium to have that detail in the first place
  • Not a fan of the infantry bases, which look out of place when the rest of the army has no stands. I've based all my infantry on tiny individual bases instead
  • Because land vehicles have no bases, its hard to pose them in dynamic ways while keeping them upright. The end effect is that most of your army looks like it's just standing around in place. I prefer this over having bases, but it does limit what you can do
  • The square flight stands should really be circles instead. They also come with some serious sprue runner nubs... which end up looking scratched when you sand/scrape them away

All-in-all I'm excited to get playing, but I expected it would take less time to clean these models and pose them. Between the sanding, magnets, drilling, cleanup, and painting it's going to take almost as long to prepare one DZC model as a single 28mm infantry figure.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah but then your poo poo is all magnetized and when you play at the game store people go

"What the gently caress is THAT game?"

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Wow the Juno is such a piece of poo poo. The resin model has a giant rear end seam running down the middle right through tiny rear end details. I can't think of any other tanks that put the main seam right down the god drat centreline.

The plastic version much better. If you must juno, please only plastic juno.

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

it's going to take almost as long to prepare one DZC model as a single 28mm infantry figure.

Yes, but, especially the PHR walkers you're probably talking about posing are just as big as a 28mm infantry, but you need a lot less of them. I agree with most your,other points, though I am constantly surprised about people's objections to infantry bases. I must just be used to it, playing mainly Epic and Flames of War I guess.

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

BULBASAUR posted:

• The square flight stands should really be circles instead.

One advantage to square stands is the ability to eyeball front/side/rear arcs without needing to use a template. The only exception is the front (narrow) arc, but the square base helps align the template—particularly this one from Warsenal.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

BULBASAUR posted:

Wow the Juno is such a piece of poo poo. The resin model has a giant rear end seam running down the middle right through tiny rear end details. I can't think of any other tanks that put the main seam right down the god drat centreline.

The plastic version much better. If you must juno, please only plastic juno.

The resin Juno is probably Hawk Wargames worst ever product for this reason. Casting shrinkage can mean that some people end up with one side of the tank longer than the other. As you say, buy plastic.

On the other hand you are also right about the plastic infantry being inferior to the metal, they are the one weakness of an otherwise great set.

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

The infantry are so uniformly atrocious as well; I don't know how they managed to make all the plastic infantry bad considering they already had much better pewter sculpts. It's not a limitation of the plastic casting process with its necessary removal of undercuts, there's already multiple example of 6, 10 and 15mm plastic infantry out which are of much higher quality.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Joe_Richter posted:

The infantry are so uniformly atrocious as well; I don't know how they managed to make all the plastic infantry bad considering they already had much better pewter sculpts. It's not a limitation of the plastic casting process with its necessary removal of undercuts, there's already multiple example of 6, 10 and 15mm plastic infantry out which are of much higher quality.

Hawk Dave is sort of on record saying that he doesn't like doing people. The new wave of infantry coming out now (in metal) were designed at least partly by their in house artist who was hired last year. I forget his name right now.

I'm guessing that when it came time to do the plastic infantry Dave struggled and decided to find someone to help him out next time.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
How does this list look for a first attempt at 1,000 points?

quote:

Standard Army

Clash: 998/1000 points

Standard Army

Standard Roster [998/1000 pts]

Field Command [261 pts]
Kodiak: Kodiak(Squad Leader) [143 pts]
Wolverine Squad: 4x Wolverine A, 2x Raven B(+Missile Pods) [118 pts]

Armored Formation [308 pts]
Sabre Squad: 3x Sabre, Condor [142 pts]
Rapier Squad: 3x Rapier, Condor [166 pts]

Armored Formation [210 pts]
Katana Squad: 3x Katana, Condor [130 pts]
Falcon Squad: 2x Falcon [80 pts]

Legionnaire Corps [219 pts]
Legionnaires: 3x Legionnaires, Condor, 2x Bear [141 pts]
^ Sharing ^ Legionnaires: 3x Legionnaires [78 pts]

Too much AT and not enough AA? Not enough infantry?

I see a lot of people talking about driving Katanas on rather than airlifting them, is there a good reason for that?

EDIT: A guy at my club has put LEDs in some of his Scourge, which makes them look great as they eat my tanks with the area of effect lightning storm.

Bob Smith fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 15, 2015

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

You will want one or two more squads of infantry for objective grabbing most likely.

That Desolator looks pretty cool, I like the tanks getting tossed about. :)

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Driving "fast" vehicles on (anything with 6" move or more basically) allows you to save points from dropships and buy more tanks.

Scourge do this best with their 9" move MBTs; it's just coincidental their dropships look like rear end :)

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

I always found the half move on keeps my tanks too far back to be effective, am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
If it's going to lob shells at buildings or has a big old range and footprint, like the Hades, then you have the option to march it on. But its a trade off- you won't be nearly as good of a position, but it costs less.

I can't speak from experience, but I know some dudes march/drive on their backfield AA.