Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Are there any UCM or PHR models that are just huge stinkers rules-wise? By the same token, are there any UCM or PHR models that are essentially autoinclude (either as part of faction design or because they just happen to be way too good)?

Edit: reason for asking: is there anything that I shouldn't fall in love with aesthetically because it will only let me down, or any models that I will definitely be taking so I had better learn to like the look of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

There was a FAQ pretty recently that addressed a lot of the problem units in the game. For example, the UCM gunship gained evasion countermeasures and a points decrease while the PHR dropships were discounted across the board. Hawk seems to want every model to be usable which makes a lot of sense. This means you're free to buy whatever catches your interest.

As far as auto-includes go, there's not much other than basic infantry. Yeah, each faction's standard tanks and anti-air are going to feature in most lists, but they can be worked around if you want. Infantry are an absolute must though given how objectives work in this game.

Cool, okay. I'm going to wait for images of the starship game before making a decision (BFG was a huge part of my adolescence, and hearing last year that Andy Chambers was on board is what switched me from "that looks cool" to "guess that'll be my mid-to-late-2015 hobby project") but I appreciate any help I can get. There are some Resistance and PHR models I really love, and I dig the fluff for both, but most of the UCM range speaks to me in a way that many Resistance/PHR models don't. I think I might dislike the hovercraft and walkers, respectively. But I also hate the big C&C-style UCM tracked aircraft carrier.

Edit: If I were to pick up a blister of Raven Type As, Raven Type Bs, or Falcons, just to paint, which of the three would be the easiest to fit into a fledging starter-box-based UCM force if I end up going that route?

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 20, 2015

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

Hell yes, they are not a must take, but the drones are fantastic for keeping your opponent on their toes - you can rush them into AA before your other aircraft - you opponent is then given the choice of firing on them, using up their AA fire for this turn, or letting them come in and hoping they don't wipe out the AA unit, allowing them to fire at a more juicy target.
Just treat the drones as what they are - expendable thorns in the enemies side. But make sure you protect your fridge - losing it can hurt.

You'd want Ravan A's - if you play a bit you realize that the APC/Condor option is too slow and to unwieldy. Most people at Invasion were running at least two infantry units in light dropships, as its faster and much more flexable. and UCM infantry is so bad they will die if attacked in CQB by most other races, so you want to be able to spread yourself around.

The B's are only useful if you want Longbows or Wolverines (you will) and the Eagles have just gotten a nice boost. They were to expense and fragile before, now they are cheaper and harder to hit!

When I get paid I'm picking up the Oppressor, the Phoenix and some Archangels, I really want to try a air heavy force for the UCM now.

That's exactly the kind of force I'd want to run. The Phoenix is, at least in pictures, my favorite DZC model I've seen, and an UCM air force would breathe new life into my moldering Aeronautica Imperialis dreams. Hopefully there are some starships at Salute so I can make a faction decision already.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

I'm so loving in. Buying into UCM in the next 72 hours. Wish me luck!

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

If I'm getting the UCM starter, some Raven-As, and then an additional blister of infantry, what infantry should I get?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Would anyone in the US be interested in trading the UCM half of the 2P starter to me in exchange for the Scourge half? I want to get the 2P starter but I'm not really interested in keeping the Scourge stuff.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Devlan Mud posted:

Oh god my OwnZone Commander starter is coming in on Monday, I've been waiting for it for over a month. Then I gotta magnetize and paint it in the three weeks that my pal is out of state. Then, ownage. So pumped.

Mine just arrived at my apartment. Might sneak out of work early if the day slows down.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

My FLGS hosed up my order so now I have some Praetorian Snipers. What's the best way to use these guys?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Went in for Captain. I was going to wait for my birthday, but I saw all of the unlocks and said gently caress it.

Edit: the Atlantis looks way better in those other pictures.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 1, 2015

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

I, too, upped to Commodore. Although it's plausible I'll go back to Captain and just add on another 35 GBP starter.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

High rank backers get a free civilian ship! :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Ugleb posted:

Four days left for Dropfleet and £70K to raise to hit that 500k stretch goal. I think it is doable with the final surge, but might be tight...

I'm trying to figure out what if any add ons I should be thinking about to go with my commodore pledge...

I'm getting space stations and a map pack with mine. Haven't decided for sure about anything else.