Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Incy posted:

Here's the Invasion attendance for the weekend - I can't help but think I picked the wrong army with Shaltari! Then again, they do seem to have had some changes recently as I brought the 1500pt starter, which turned out to be about 1800 after the nerfs.

You should be fine, those are really showing popularity - the Shaltari got a well deserved nerf, but it may have been a bit to far - although its hard to tell, as a lot of the biug boys moved away from Shaltari as they felt they were winning becuase of the race, not their skill.

My stats from Invasion have the following W/L/D percentages

pre:
	        Win	Draw	Lose
PHR	        47.50%	18.75%	33.75%
Resistance	44.62%	15.38%	40.00%
Scourge	        48.89%	8.89%	42.22%
Shaltari	45.00%	15.00%	40.00%
UCM	        38.67%	10.67%	50.67%
Dammit! Don't post before I'm done!

This is data from 305 games across a massive skill level difference. As you can see, everyone is pretty well balanced. The UCM suffer a little, but they may just be being used my more newbie commanders due to their presence in the starter set - on the other hand the Scourge winn the most games, but are all or nothing and draw the fewest.

Science geek that I am, I'm looking forward to adding another 250+ games to this spreadsheet and seeing how the numbers change.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jan 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Oh yeah, the Meta go so shaken up, I know I had no plans to deal with double medusa lists - in fact, I drew one game, won two and lost hard to the same list - 2 medusa, 2 Valkyres, 2 phobos and four Helios. I was running a air heavy UCM and this was kyrptonite to me.

I was soooo happy when I faced what was basically the same list twice.

Scourge should do well again, the Raider/screamer combo, if used right, can give them the edge in infantry combat. if Mike runs his UCM again though, it will be murder - That list with 4 Falcons, a Phoenix and two Archangels was literal murder.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Pash posted:

They mentioned in some video somewhere (Beasts of war mabye?) that the strike carriers carry more elite troops (probably higher armor groups in this case) while the San Francisco's carry more massed rank and file.

I've always assumed that dropzone was featuring the more unique parts of a battlefield rather than the main fighting. Recon missions, extractions and other specialized missions.

The implied short timescale of a game says both sides are trying to get the job done before the masses turn up and turn the whole city into ruins. Which is why all the buildings are intact at the start of the game.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

a 6mm massed battle game.....

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Ugleb posted:

You are obsessed with tiny man's.

But hey I'm grappling with a 28mm hospital taking up half my dining table right now so I can't argue too much I guess.

Gods own scale. Gods own scale.

28mm for skirmishes/sports
15mm for company level games
10mm for Dropzone
6mm if you actually want it to look like a battle.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

Yo dudes got a bit of a question on experimental units. Are these legal for tournament or league play? Someone is asking me as im TOing for an escalation league and I'm assuming these are not legal for tournament play.

All experimental units are legal - the only units that are not are the famous commanders.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Thunderstorm needs a good dosing of nerf though, it has a stupid amount of firepower, is hard to hit and has a ton of hitpoints - AND its a bloody transport.

I've finished my game report, if anyone is board and wants to watch it.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Yeah, the way I see it, it looks like they could break down like this - (Conjecture, probibily wrong)

Scourge - Sneak in close and hit hard
UCM - Mid ranged, good fire arcs due to turrets, but less power on each shot.
PHR - Mid ranged with fixed arcs - front firing or broadsides, but heavy hitting.
Shaltari - Long range sniper with shields. fragile, except when their player rolls well on the sheilds.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

That's because Dave no longer does the infantry - he hates modelling people, and it shows. Now someone else does the ground pounders, the quality has improved.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Ugleb posted:

These new models aren't coming out of their Adepticon stand or something are they? This may be their most stealth release yet. :shrug:

"Its a March release if we sell it SOMEWHERE in March!"

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Loxbourne posted:

This is very true. I know I've met you without realising it.

Grey Hunter too.

I tend to go to tourneys with my Avatar on a T-shirt (part of a sort of bet with my RPG group on how long it will take for someone to recognize the croctapus. But yeah, if you've been to Invasion in the last year, you may well have met Ugleb and I.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

That was our first 1500 point game I think. It was not one for tactical subtlety.

I'm looking forward trying an overseer boosting a brick of nine hunters.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Yeah, and a single base of razorworms is enough to at least damage a squad of most races basic infantry - they'll die against exotics, but most things do.
Its not a unit you'll want two of, but one of them will be great in most missions.

One FAQ needed already, does a bunker count as a building? Bunker Assault is a favorite at Invasion, and spending a few turns firing Razorworms into a contested bunker is going to ruin the enemies day.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Ugleb posted:

I think many Scourge players will have that dilemma! Monitors bring Scourge a low energy weight of fire option they have been lacking... But everyone loves that cheap AA cloud... ;)

Yeah, it's a hard one, the self destruct gives them some teeth, but AA is so nice.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Eagle is scary enough, and a heavy/slow gunship is more the PHR's thing. plus the UCM already has the Phoenix,

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I'm just going to be moving them around going zooom.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

yeah this is basically what I'm doing now. I've started taking a full squad in a Condor sharing with a Flak Team to search for objectives and cockblock flyers getting near and flattening every other nearby structure with Katanas. Seems to be working well and will be better Flaks getting buffed in the next book.

I might have to colour co-ord the bases of my Legionnaires though as I'm about to finish painting them all and it's a fuckin mass of dudes.

6 bases of legionaries is a nice 6 rocket and 6 AA shots, which is their number 1 strength.

That and being the guys who die in droves to make the film look good.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

This is what I'm thinking so far.

quote:

Critical Engagement 2016
Clash: 998/1000 points
Standard Army
  • Standard Roster [998/1000 pts]
    • Field Command [309 pts]
      • Kodiak: Kodiak(Captain) [203 pts]
      • Hazard Suit Team: 2x Hazard Suit, Raven A(+Missile Pods) [106 pts]
    • Armored Formation [308 pts]
      • Rapier Squad: 3x Rapier, Condor [166 pts]
      • Sabre Squad: 3x Sabre, Condor [142 pts]
    • Legionnaire Corps [80 pts]
      • Legionnaires: 2x Legionnaires, Raven A [80 pts]
    • Expeditionary Group [234 pts]
      • Hazard Suit Team: 2x Hazard Suit, Raven A [98 pts]
      • Praetorian Snipers: 3x Praetorian Snipers, Raven A [136 pts]
    • Air Wing [67 pts]
      • Archangel Squad: Archangel [67 pts]

I'm a little worried its a bit infantry heavy - I could remove a haz team, drop the commander to CV2 and get some another Sabre squad - or an eagle, or some Falcons.

I'm just not sure!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

That's if the focal points are in buildings......

1000 points really gets you questioning your list building. I'm looking forward to it though!
I just need to do the rims on my Praetorian Sniper bases before Saturday....

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

My UCM force is going to be Red and black, with some silver in there - maybe a bit of gold in a few places - Roman colours.

The Scourge are going to be cribbing heavily from the Vorlon colour scheme from Babylon 5.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Loxbourne posted:

Any idea how the Phoenix will get nerfed? I've heard of UCM air lists sweeping all before them at tournaments, so it's not a big surprise.

I actually have no idea where you heard that.

UCM are actually the second weakest performing faction in tournaments - and this is worldwide stats for the last couple of years. this is every tournament that posts its results and player count to the forums.

This is the UK data I have collected myself.

While everything is pretty well balanced, the UCM have always performed poorly at tournaments - its not to say they can't win, and a UCM air list is powerful thing, but it really depends on the missions given - any focal point missions will hurt a UCM air list as they don't have many boots on the ground. I've also never personally seen a Phoenix in a winning list - Ferrums, even double Ferrums yes, but not the Phoenix itself. I'll be a little upset if the UCM get a nerf without a corresponding boost elsewhere.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Scourge and ucm struggle with focal points and ground control missions. The UCM because a lot of their good stuff is airborne, the scourge because most of their units go squish and are not around to score at the end of the game.

I'm currently doing a sheet for faction vs mission type, i'll post that up when it's fairly full.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

A literal swarm of Falcons. It would be awesome.

On other news I finally managed to get a test game in with my Crossbows, they're really neat but drat being support makes them really, really hard to put into lists. Kind of wish they were exotics or something.

That's the ucms main issue - all their Good stuff is either exotic or support except for Archangels.

Stat wise, it will be interesting to see what phase 2 does, I'll put a stat break in to see what difference it makes. The corruptors and overseer could shake things up a bit.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Katana's are great, but have their flaws = they low energy can hurt against targets with high armour, and sometimes two shots on one unit can be a little bit of overkill.

That said, they are very useful for shooting up AV6 buildings and low armour, multiple HP enemies such as Resistance battle buses.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Corrupter's are a good unit, but I doubt you need to add EXTRA infantry - in fact, I was thinking about dropping a infantry squad and using the compulsory warriors as ferrys for objectives found by the Razorworms.

This is what I'm thinking of giving a go - Maybe swapping the Desalator for the Oppressor.

pre:
Max Corruption
Clash: 1496/1500 points
Standard Army
	Standard Roster [1496/1500 pts]
		Oppressors [305 pts]
			Desolator: Desolator(Master) [225 pts]
			Corruptors: Corruptor [80 pts]
		Vanguard [314 pts]
			Hunter Squad: 3x Hunter, Marauder(+Vampire) [156 pts]
			Reaper Squad: 3x Reaper, Marauder [158 pts]
		Vanguard [351 pts]
			Ravagers: 3x Ravager, Harbinger(+Mini Arc Caster) [190 pts]
			Stalkers: 3x Stalker, Harbinger(+Mini Arc Caster, +Vampire) [161 pts]
		Warriors [134 pts]
			Warrior Horde: 2x Warriors [54 pts]
			Corruptors: Corruptor [80 pts]
		Occupation Patrol [196 pts]
			Minders: 4x Minder, Intruder Beta [56 pts]
			Destroyers: 2x Destroyers, Intruder Alpha [140 pts]
		Occupation Patrol [196 pts]
			Monitors: 4x Monitor, Intruder Beta [56 pts]
			Destroyers: 2x Destroyers, Intruder Alpha [140 pts]

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Yeah, it looks like some evil bug.

I'm still not sure whether I want to gloss my Scourge ships or not. I like the look of the shine.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

A little sad about the nerf to the Phoenix, but the Hazards suits were a little on the to good side - they were great for hammering buildings. The flack teams could make a nasty surprise for your enemies now.

Making Vampires cheaper is good, same for the Oppressor - he was a little over-costed compared to similar large walkers.

Basically, these all look like good changes.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Annihilator might work - the double shot or extra 6" range would make it very scary. With the double shot against resistance, you would actually WANT some scatter!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

wdarkk posted:

I don't think there's enough points for both an Annihilator and an Overseer (although an overseer was considered).

Sleep deprived, read Oppressor as Overseer.

The Annihilator is still fun, and creates a nice no go zone for enemy troops.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

My ucm are post war Soviet so I'm gonna use their naming.

Roman Generals/Emperors.

Although fitting Scipo Africanus and Pompey Magnus on the little tabs may be a little hard......

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Currently heading from Yorkshire to the lakes, so yeah, going to miss this one.

We will be at warfare in reading though.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Gently rocks back and forth

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Yeah, howe dare they ship to Other People first??!?

I've cleared two shelves in my cabinet for them an everything!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Yeah, dropzone is an amazing fluid game, so Dropfleet should be space based goodness.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Valatar posted:

Buying the correct models for your army is "pay to win".

Hrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrnnnnnnnng.

loving people.

[Edit: I mean, I get not wanting to blow more cash than necessary, I'm planning on trying to magnet up ships that can reasonably be quickly swapped on the fly with magnets. That's just using common sense. But if two classes are too different for a magnet part swap to let you convert from one to the other, I wouldn't still plop it on the table and expect my opponent to just deal with it.]

So this Berlin represents a Bejing, this one a Moscow, this one a.......

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

YF19pilot posted:

After the amount of salt I've seen on display on Facebook this weekend, I don't think I'm ever going to complain again about how long Dropfleet is taking. One guy posted how he's going to refuse delivery and issue a chargeback on his bank account. Wish I could've gotten a screenshot, but away from my computer this weekend.

I'd love to see that one in court.

"So, did you not receive your product?"
"Oh, They sent it, but I was annoyed that they fulfilled written contractual obligations over verbal ones and refused it, now I want my money back."
"You what?"

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Dispatch email!

So excited for tomorrow!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Colour test on my first UCM cruiser.

I still need to touch up and do the inside of the hanger bays and such, but how does the overall colour scheme look to you guys?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

Colours on a bit thick there chap, I'd thin them out a fair bit, better to paint with multiple layers than few(er?). :)

The scheme itself is cool though, get the contrasting and shading down and it'll come along nicely!

Actually the paints not on thick at all, its just a combination of having no touch up and being hard to find a good angle on the ship for the photo. The silver also looks terrible in the photo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

http://dflist.com/ ?