Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
The GW Death thread (RIP) introduced me to Dropzone Commander and it seems pretty cool. What's the best way to determine if people play it in my area?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Pash posted:

Probably Facebook/Hope and Prayer...

Thanks for the tip, I normally don't like using facebook, but I found a store.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Will there be Scourge space stations? It seems like there should be, since they have all those space ships that might need overhauls or veterinary checkups or whatever.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

So I went to a local hobby store to try this, had quite an interesting experience.

There were only two armies for four people interested, so we played with two-man committees for each side. I forget what the scenario was called but it had five control points that you won by having the most points worth of dudes near.

On turn one we deployed everything, no major action.

On turn two my/our scourge AA went in and got one of the UCM gunships. It later got the second gunship, which didn't accomplish anything. Our infantry managed to score three of the five objectives, including two Destroyer squads in the central objective.

On turn three our commander in the Desolator went in on a group of nine UCM tanks (the tanks and AA with two damage points each, forget what they're called). He killed one anti-air tank.

On turn four the Desolator went in to minimum range (taking half his hp in damage from the AA) on the tank blob and killed NOTHING. Ugh. Some other stuff was killed.

We never did turns five and six because one of the other people had to go but it was judged that the Scourge would probably still hold all three objectives on their side of the board, and be able to contest the objectives on the UCM side. I'm not sure about that because most of that tank blob was still alive and I'd be forced to try to kill it with my infantry once it reached the center objective.

All in all I enjoyed it and once I figure out the most economical way to convert MTG cards I'm not using into DZC minis I'll pick some up.

One thing I noticed was it felt like the guy's Scourge list couldn't really do much to kill heavily-armored enemies. Unfortunately I don't have the full list with me.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Bob Smith posted:

Some of the big Firestorm Armada ships are 6-7" long and to be honest they become a chore to paint at that point. Just a massive slab of resin covered in tiny little greebles.

The "double sized" Beijing is 284mm, half that is 142mm, which is 5.59 inches. I'd guess six inches is the upper limit.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

All that flat space is begging for somebody to put the ship names there.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Time to pull the trigger. Not sure what I'm going to bolt on besides the BC. Maybe a launch assets pack?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

The BCs seem to be the only part that's KS-exclusive, so I guess I'll do a nice Basilisk, launch assets (I love me some fighters), and then maybe a map set. To do bolt-ons, you just add the money to your pledge and then say which ones you want in the post-KS survey, right?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Pash posted:

Ya, just make sure you remember to include money in your pledge for shipping to.

It looks like it handles that for you, unless you have to pay separate shipping for additional items.

(This is the first time I've kickstartered something that had a physical bit.)

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Pash posted:

I think its a set amount of the whole thing. It was something like 10 pound to ship to the US.

Yeah. I'm lucky backer 2650 :toot:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

The exclusive battleship is a display model and isn't actually game-sized. There will be non-exclusive variants of the BCs.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

YF19pilot posted:

So the battleship is just a nonfunctional display piece basically? Okay, that will save me some money. What about the Captain level battlecruiser? Will there be a non-exclusive variant of that as well?

I believe so.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Picked up my two-player starter set of DZC today for the price of two MtG cards that I didn't use anymore.

It's a pretty hefty package. Looking forward to assembling it and trying to get my friends to play.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Ugh, how do you rename an army in FFoR?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

For the plastic Dropzone Commander bits, is it necessary to wash the sprues before assembly? Painting thread mentioned something about mold remover spray.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Thundercloud posted:

I'd wash any plastic sprue in water with a bit of detergent anyway, whoever the manufacturer is. It gets rid of any residue and dust that could stop undercoat sticking properly.

I'm still waffling about what I'm going to paint them, so I may play with them unpainted for a bit. Is that a problem?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

LazyAngel posted:

Bad phone pics;

Note that the PHR cruiser here is considerably bulkier than the Shaltari heavy cruiser next to it.

More pics, please.

I've decided to paint my Scourge cyan with purple and red edges, in honor of dead (50%) bad game series Sword of the Stars and its rear end in a top hat space dolphins. Who makes a good cyan paint?

Also, does anyone ever use the Slayer and Tormenter? They seem a bit expensive and hard to fit in.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

So I'm assembling my scourge. I'm having a little difficulty with the Invaders.

1. The wing racks seem to require a fair amount of fiddling to go in, and I don't want to get glue on my fingertips. Can I put them in, then glue around them?

EDIT: Fixed problem 2.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 11, 2015

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

So right now I'm working on my first list, for Scourge. I really want to fit in an Annihilator, but it seems pretty tough to fit.

Any suggestions?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

I ran this list at Warfare, it's a little light on AA, but I won three, drew one and lost one, so its a viable list.

pre:
Medusa Protocol
Clash: 1491/1500 points
Standard Army
	Standard Roster [1491/1500 pts]
		Oppressors [450 pts]
			Oppressor: Oppressor, Harbinger(Master, +Mini Arc Caster) [300 pts]
			Annihilator: Annihilator [150 pts]
		Vanguard [351 pts]
			Hunter Squad: 3x Hunter, Marauder [146 pts]
			Ravagers: 3x Ravager, Harbinger(+Mini Arc Caster) [205 pts]
		Warriors [204 pts]
			Warrior Horde: 2x Warriors, Intruder Alpha [94 pts]
			Screamers: Screamer, Raider [110 pts]
		Warriors [94 pts]
		Occupation Patrol [196 pts]
			Minders: 4x Minder, Intruder Beta [56 pts]
			Destroyers: 2x Destroyers, Intruder Alpha [140 pts]

Huh, that looks good. I wish I could include my AA skimmers, since they're possibly the best models in the plastic kit, but having spares for other stuff (or if I ever do a 2500 point game) is nice.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

You could swap the ravagers for reapers, you'd lose volume of fire for accuracy, and the loss of the harbinger also drops your shots. That said, they are cheaper, so you could sneak in some vampires.

I was thinking that, except adding a Reaver rather than Vampires, since my "meta" is a bit tank-heavy.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

Wade is a Famous Commander - which means he's not at all balanced, and should only really be used when both sides have a FC. That said, I've never played with/against one, so I can't help there.

Cato looks really cool, but I haven't played UCM... ever.

Wade's main problem is that I don't think the unit he's based on exists yet, so you can't use him as something else.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

DeadGame posted:

Does anyone have a cool paint scheme recipe for Scourge? I can't find a scheme I like.

The guy that ran the demo I played in did forest cammo on top, orange on the bottom for the "ambush predator" vibe. It seemed pretty interesting, but I feel like he used the wrong orange.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

DeadGame posted:

Executing on something like that is challenging.

Oh god all those tiny lines.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Yikes. I don't know how they could do so much better with the Bears (or the Invaders) and so poorly with that.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I really wish the Invader was useful in non-starter games. It's possibly the best mini I've seen in DZC from a technical perspective. That bottom piece fits into place perfectly. I could almost skip gluing it.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I gotta say I'm a little annoyed there's no assembly instructions included with the resin scourge I've been buying. It's not like it's hard to figure out how to assemble them, but I always like to know exactly what a piece should look like before I trim/file it.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Kickstarter progress report, there's a latecomer pledge thing for adding on a 2-player starter set. Also going to be new, not-see-before ships at Open, so whoever's going get some pictures please.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Ugleb posted:

News just in, the Medusa is getting its points raised from 90 to 100, and this will apply to Invasion lists.

This sounds about right to me tbh.

Huh. That takes the double type-4 list you posted earlier to 1508 points, so something would have to give.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Maybe:
code:
Drop the Building
Clash: 1490/1500 points
Standard Army
	PHR Standard Roster [1490/1500 pts]
		Hand of the Sphere [245 pts]
			Nemesis: Nemesis(Councillor) [245 pts]
		Battle Pantheon [206 pts]
			Battle Squad: 2x Phobos [126 pts]
			Apollo Squad: 2x Apollo-A [80 pts]
		Battle Pantheon [223 pts]
			Battle Squad: Phobos [63 pts]
			Helios Squad: 2x Helios, Neptune [160 pts]
		Immortals [202 pts]
			Immortals: 2x Immortals, Triton A1 [101 pts]
			Immortals: 2x Immortals, Triton A1 [101 pts]
		Heavy Pantheon [405 pts]
			Hades: Hades, Poseidon [275 pts]
			Heavy Squad: 2x Enyo [130 pts]
		Pegasus Group [209 pts]
			Medusa: Medusa [90 pts]
			Valkyries: 2x Valkyries, Triton A1 [119 pts]
Or:
code:
Drop the Building
Clash: 1489/1500 points
Standard Army
	PHR Standard Roster [1489/1500 pts]
		Hand of the Sphere [245 pts]
			Nemesis: Nemesis(Councillor) [245 pts]
		Battle Pantheon [185 pts]
			Battle Squad: Phobos, Ares [105 pts]
			Apollo Squad: 2x Apollo-A [80 pts]
		Battle Pantheon [223 pts]
			Battle Squad: Phobos [63 pts]
			Helios Squad: 2x Helios, Neptune [160 pts]
		Immortals [222 pts]
			Immortals: 2x Immortals, Triton A1(+Stealth Missiles) [111 pts]
			Immortals: 2x Immortals, Triton A1(+Stealth Missiles) [111 pts]
		Heavy Pantheon [405 pts]
			Hades: Hades, Poseidon [275 pts]
			Heavy Squad: 2x Enyo [130 pts]
		Pegasus Group [209 pts]
			Medusa: Medusa [90 pts]
			Valkyries: 2x Valkyries, Triton A1 [119 pts]
I'm thinking about PHR as my second army, so I don't have any actual experience, this is just guessing.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Ugleb posted:

I think I prefer your first list, walk on Phobos is more useful than an Ares I think as your real AT is coming from the type-4's and Medusa.

My current thinking had moved on a bit from what I posted here, I think the latest iteration dropped the Enyo's in favour of an Athena and a couple other tweaks. The trade off I'm contemplating is ditching the Hades' Poseidon and simply having both type-4's walk on. This frees up points and allows for turn 1 shooting but really reduces my ability to redeploy and contest distant focal points. So I dunno.

That Medusa nerf is significant as a spare ten points can make a surprisingly big difference. I frequently don't upgrade Tritons as I cant spare the points, so something will definitely give somewhere!

Ha, I was thinking of the Ares as a demo unit of last resort, since it (and the stealth missiles) were replacing the Angelos.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Has anyone else had a LOT of trouble assembling the Scourge Raider dropship (the one that comes with the Screamer)? I can't get the tail section to fit onto the main body at all, there seems to be an absolutely huge gap in the middle. I said "gently caress it" and tried to glue it, but it wouldn't even stay glued.

EDIT: Not the best picture, but I think it gets across the gap.

It feels like the main body shrunk somehow. Everything looks fine, but when I go to fit it's horrible.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 14, 2016

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

nesbit37 posted:

I put mine together this past weekend and it had a gap that looked even worse then yours there. I ended up a wad of greenstuff in the gap, superglue in the top part that lined up with the spines, and then just smooshed it into place trimming off the greenstuff that squeeze out. There wasn't a better way to do it from what I could tell.

Depending on how I hold it the gap can look much worse. Do you think mounting putty would work, or do I need actual greenstuff?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

wdarkk posted:

Do you think mounting putty would work, or do I need actual greenstuff?

I gave it a try, and it seems to work so far. Obviously if the tail falls I'll buy the greenstuff.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

So I had my first game with my own army today. Since there were a fair number of new people (including me) the game took too long and we only got through 3 turns.
code:
Clash: 1498/1500 points
Standard Army
	Standard Roster [1498/1500 pts]
		Oppressors [450 pts]
			Oppressor: Oppressor(Master), Harbinger(+Mini Arc Caster) [300 pts]
			Annihilator: Annihilator [150 pts]
		Vanguard [304 pts]
			Hunter Squad: 3x Hunter, Marauder [146 pts] 
			Reaper Squad: 3x Reaper, Marauder [158 pts]
		Warriors [204 pts]
			Screamers: Screamer, Raider [110 pts]
		Warriors [94 pts]
		Occupation Patrol [250 pts]
			Reavers: Reaver [54 pts]
We were using the "Secure the Flanks" scenario. The enemy had UCM with I deployed my armor and commander towards the focal point to the right of my deployment zone, the solo warrior group to "my" objective, and everything else to the center (the Annihilator hiding behind a building).

Some highlights:
For some reason the enemy was unwilling to enter the center structure with all my Destroyers, a Warrior Horde, and the Screamer parked nearby. Thus the Screamer never got to actually DO anything. Even if we'd continued the enemy didn't have that much infantry and wasn't really interested in a CQB.

The Reaver got wrecked by an Archangel while my AA wasn't yet online. Its valiant sacrifice saved an infantry transport from taking the same hit.

The Annihilator killed an average of 2.66 tanks/shot. MVP.

The enemy Kodiak absolutely wrecked my Oppressor. Two consecutive 2-damage hits.

My AA seemed somewhat insufficient, but that may have been poor deployment.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Yeah putty worked fine.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I don't think it's actually ready yet, since the only thing that seems to be there is the late backer thing.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Checked out successfully once I checked my spam folder.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Notahippie posted:

Does anybody know what the official carrying capacity of the UCM drop carriers is? For fun (I'm a big ol' nerd) I've been trying to figure out what the basic structure and doctrine of the UCM military is. I assume that the doctrine will be based around a unit of maneuver that fits on one dropship, but I don't know if that's a battalion or a brigade or what. I figure if you assume that each condor carries a platoon of troops, you can estimate the unit based on the number of condors in a typical ship, with the other dropships giving you some input about the associated support units.

IIRC they built a 10mm scale strike carrier, which carried something like 200 condors. It's possible Dropfleet's book will have more information on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

There are also larger Troopships (based on the cruiser model) that hold more troops than an Avenger does. I'm not entirely sure how much more, but let's do some back-of-the-envelope math.

Avenger model is 62mm. San Fancisco Class Troopship is 107mm.

Divide 107^3 by 62^3 and you get 5.14, so the Troopship will likely carry 5-10x as many troops. It probably has a higher ratio of infantry to armor, if you can believe its designation.