Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Aight

I am currently on a tear trying new games, and DZC's on the list. Are there currently any pitfalls to avoid when buying in new? New edition coming out soon? Anything? Also I am wanting to play with PHR and Resistance, so I don't want the starter set. What supplies do I need?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

My commander? Is that in reference to the command cards? Do I need those? Should I get them? Or are you talking about there being Warma style commanders where I need to pick one?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Alright, so I'll buy a PHR starter box, command cards, and one of those commanders. What should I get for Resistance to be similar in terms of power? My preferred outlet does not have the starter for Resistance.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Tequila Ranger posted:

Resistance starter box, command cards, and one of the Resistance commander blisters; all the starter boxes are fairly balanced against each other.

Give a 2nd thought to picking up the 2 player starter set anyway, since you'll need the rulebook and the card terrain it comes with is pretty nice for cardboard. Maybe you can sell (or give) the Scourge and UCM plastics to a friend who you can then play against. Just a thought.

Yeah that makes sense. I'll just pick up the 2 player starter and see where I wanna go. UCM was my 3rd choice anyway.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

How "mass" does this game play? I don't know poo poo about mass battle games and I'm looking at DZC to fill that spot really. But recently someone told me it ends up playing somewhat like a smaller scale game because it's still little mans, except your mans are tanks now. I have TONS of skirmish level games with 5-10 dudes per side. I'm wanting to make sure this is solidly in the "mass battles" category, of which I have no idea.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Wales Grey posted:

Define "mass". Do you mean "large play area"? "Huge number of dudes"? "Abstractly represents an entire theater"? "Rules allow and support scaling up of armies to absurdly sizes while still being relatively swift in game resolution"?

I don't even know man. I posted a thread about this and no one replied. I am pretty heavily invested in skirmish games and I passed up on Kings of War. Now it's a far out wait for Warpath so I'm digging into whatever the opposite of skirmish is, in part out of curiosity. I already bought my stuff and I'm gonna play, I'm just trying to wrap my head around the kind of strategy paradigm shift I'm going to need. I've never played any of those formation plate games like Warhammer Fantasy, never played anything other than 28mm each to their own base. So playing with tanks and abstracted squads seems cool, but I do want to experience everything there is in non-historicals. Some day I'll try fleet battles maybe, but right now it's Dropzone.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

MCPeePants posted:

To get some idea, look at the points of the starters: Resistance for example comes in between 502 and 577, depending on transport upgrades. Tournament standard is 1500, with bigger games not unusual. Obviously as you expand your army there would be more expensive choices, but it's still worth noting that the starter boxes are small armies.

Sounds good. I went and pulled the trigger on some stuff. When I want to get out of using card terrain, what are the good options for 10mm stuff? I'd LOVE to use the tiles that Hawk produces, but they're kind of uhhhhhh pricey? And the Novus Design stuff I see is actually 6mm, not 10mm. What do you guys use when you're not using card?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Is there a way to get the resin building tiles without ordering them from the UK? I'm calculating how much it'd cost me to make a building and it's pretty steep, but it appeals to me in a fundamental way as I love building stuff from kits.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Safety Factor posted:

You probably don't want to get resin buildings from Hawk. They're really really expensive for what they are and you can probably find substitutions pretty easily. It's already been mentioned that N scale model train stuff is equivalent to 10mm. I haven't looked into it myself, but it may be worth checking out.

Yeah, I just couldn't find anything thematic that was worth the money. Any specific links?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Just assembled my first DZC model, a Resistance M3 Alexander tank. The level of detail and production quality has me mad at other companies.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

What do you guys use for storage? These are some really wonky shapes compared to the standard infantry models I'm used to

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yeah I just ended up saying gently caress it and bought pick and pluck sabol and portable warfare trays. I'll cut the trays to fit KR cases I guess.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Does anyone base their walkers and stuff? I feel kinda weird not having bases.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yeah magnetizing is too much work for me honestly.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

It's harder than just buying more poo poo

edit: Are there going to be any times that I'm going to want my tanks and stuff in base to base contact with anything? I'm trying to minimize gameplay impact while adding bases.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 30, 2015

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

What's the appropriate magnet size for magnetizing for dropships

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Where's the best place to get them that isn't ebay?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

OK, I read through the book and I like the rules. I want more of this game, if even just to paint. Beyond the starters for PHR and Resistance, what should I buy to expand my options, rather than just buying more of the same? What are the units to avoid that are just poo poo?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Welp

The resistance starter turns out to have been sold out at the place I ordered it from.

Horseshit

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

OK I am going for a Skynet vibe with my PHR guys. Is this too simple a scheme to use on an entire army?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

BULBASAUR posted:

Some silver highlights would also go a long way on that little guy. Maybe color your metal tubes parts brass?

WWTKD (what would t-1000 do)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

BULBASAUR posted:

I'm looking to pick up a Ruinscape, but its out of stock everywhere in the states. Anybody know of a online store that has it in stock at a reasonable price?

I ended up just buying it direct from Hawk. The dollar is decent enough against the pound right now that it's not much difference buying direct, though to make it work out for shipping you have to order about 140 bucks worth of stuff total.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I want to pledge but cannot bring myself to do it until I can get just UCM and PHR.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Serotonin posted:

You can. Get the Lt level. Buy bolt ons.

Yeah but then I don't get the high rank bonus

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

If I understand correctly, DZC plays at 1500 points on a 4x4 table. Confirm/deny? Also can someone tell me how big 1500 points is relative to a starter box?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Bistromatic posted:

It's also a good idea to be familiar with the Battlegroup/Slot system before placing a big order so you don't get a bunch of stuff you don't have the slots for.

Yeah I own the starters for PHR and Resistance but I suppose I should like... read the rules or some poo poo

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Do youse guys prefer to glue the rod holder thingie in place before or after painting?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

So would I be missing out by just running the starter packs at like 500 points?

I should rephrase: How many points is best for the combination of learning the game and enticing me and my friends to play it more often?

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 17, 2015

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

That ship has Beavis' underbite and it bugs me a lil bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Pierzak posted:

You've got the nose art figured out then.

Oh god