Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

So having never played a single table top game or assembled a model in my life I decided to get the two player starter and the PHR set. I have no interest in the Scourge models though, so is there a good place in particular other than ebay to sell them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Loxbourne posted:

Where are you located? I've got a friend in NZ who is interested in picking up people's unwanted Scourge.

GA. I'd be willing to mail them out when the stuff gets here.

edit: oh man I misread that as "AZ", I'd still ship them but I have no idea what the shipping costs to NZ are.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Also I probably should have clarified I meant Dropfleet, oops.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

LordAba posted:

I would be interested in Scourge and I live US. Either trade for Shaltari starter or cashmoney. Send PM when you get them in.

Great, I'll let you know once things arrive. If not I'll see if you still want them, Chalupa.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

does anyone know if there are any plans to add in actual models for things like fighters/bombers and torpedoes?

http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/dropfleet-commander/33904-launch-asset-pack

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

So I ordered a battleship to go with my stuff, and it was all supposed to get shipped out together when battleships were released, but I see some people commenting that they've been delayed?

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Finally received my stuff, never worked with models before, already broke off two guns on the PHR frigates. Getting the fronts smooth on them where they're clipped off seems like an exercise in futility.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Yeah, a couple have that. It's not as noticeable after the two halves get glued together at least. Might try filling it in with some plastic putty or something like that.

There's also just me trying to figure out how to smooth down the plastic left over after clipping.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

I've got PHR and UCM and I've been magnetizing all of it except for strike carriers since the idea of being locked into particular classes and having to buy more or pretend they're different types is anathema to me.

PHR frigates are simple, cruisers are tedious but work fine, UCM frigates don't even need magnets, and UCM cruisers are straightforward except for their top. It somewhat snaps into place but there's a gap, and the regular cruiser top seems too thin to drill into. Might drill deeper into the main hull and glue magnets directly to the surface of the top piece?

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

PHR cruisers are simple enough to magnetize, you'll just need a lot of magnets to do so between the broadsides and the keels. The only issue I've had is making sure the magnets in the weapon banks are placed precisely enough to leave space for the hangar doors underneath and also don't jut out the side. Had to shave off a tiny slice on each side of the doors due to some slightly off-center magnets. Used a combination of 2x1 mm and 1/16" magnets since that's just what I had around.

Sojenus fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 14, 2016

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Yeah, I magnetized a UCM cruiser first and it was a breeze compared to drilling into all those tiny PHR weapon banks. Drilling for the keel pieces isn't so bad since the slots on the bottom are all 2mm and you can use the ridges as a guide, and the main hull sides seem to work fine without much precision, but ugh the weapon banks would be a pain without bracing and/or steady hands.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Finally got the time to finish painting my two starter sets. First poo poo I've ever painted (or photographed). Scourge in particular could be better since they're all at different points of figuring out how to make and use washes. PHR cruisers all magnetized, and I modified the prow laser to get rid of the underbite since I think it looks better with the front lined up.

http://imgur.com/a/EnWba

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

I've found it best for both PHR and Scourge to build the main hulls and leave the wings off until after painting.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Thanks to a mistake in an order I've got a pack of Glasses to offload if anyone's interested.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

I don't think it's a third piece, I think it's just the torpedo one flipped over so you can see said torpedo.

Also the Scourge one is great, it's basically an organic PHR battleship.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Charybdis have to be in low orbit to bombard as per the errata/FAQ. You can still dip them into atmosphere to avoid an attack, at least.

Sojenus fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 1, 2017

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

PHR and Shaltari battlecruisers shown off:

I think Scourge takes the winner for best looking of the four.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

"The Advanced Sectors Pack is now available exclusively direct from the Hawk Wargames website."

boooo

I just got the regular sectors and they look great, I hope these don't stay website exclusive.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

The space station kit is doing nothing but giving me crippling analysis paralysis.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

wdarkk posted:

I "solved" this by more or less recreating the ones on the box art.

Yeah, I was thinking of just modifying the box art setups.

Or gently caress it and:

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

One of the things that drew me in to this over other tabletop games, is that you don't need to buy and paint and set up a bunch of terrain to get a nice looking game. Just a couple space stations and some sectors on a decent looking mat and I'm satisfied with the aesthetics of it. The only other thing I did was glue the debris fields on top of small bases with very short stands to give them some three dimensionality. If I wanted to get into DZC, or any of the more prominent tabletop games (besides X-Wing but mehhhh Star Wars), I wouldn't be satisfied until I had spent way too much time and money on scenery.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

That looks great, I like the damage counter in particular; think there will be difficulty with something like a battleship in high orbit? I've managed fine with the regular bases but I'm hoping version 2.0 or a better third party one like yours comes out eventually.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

probably going to pick up a couple of these, rules look solid:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0159/4298/files/rules.pdf?243094244154544308

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Scourge have the best card that should be used at any possible opportunity: For The Species.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Yes, and never not ram a battleship into the atmosphere at a strike carrier.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

The Hector got linked broadsides (here's the updated rules) but it still has the problem of needing to go weapons free to use both the guns and the laser, which doesn't combine well with a front narrow weapon.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Just found a blister of Shaltari corvettes I forgot I had and will never use. Free to a good home if you cover the cost of shipping (US).

Spoken for!

Sojenus fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 23, 2017

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Top row looks better.

All I've got is a terrible laptop camera and half a box lit by a flashlight with parchment paper taped over it but I finally finished all my poo poo and I'm posting the garbage pictures regardless: https://imgur.com/a/5zdBe

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Pretty unfair to make the PHR start with their Priam having engines crippled.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

I haven't had any issues with the Scourge frigates but the side wings on the cruisers have popped off enough I consider it a feature of easily converting them to light cruisers, magnet-free!

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Those look fantastic, I like the spectroscopic graph looking signature part in particular.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

When are the Kickstarters for Dropfleet Armada, Dropsquad Commander, and Dropsquad Soldier?

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Must have been a bundle deal with the Avenger.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

the white sphere was actually just a soccer ball with a speaker inside it

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

I played a game against someone using the battlecruiser with those orientation changing weapons and they didn't accomplish much. That might have just been a match-up issue though, PHR doesn't have many of the front narrow weapons that would seem to be priority targets for the coils.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Picked up a cheap starter set and some Odins a while ago and finished with most of it. Probably not going to get around to the infantry and APCs for a bit, though. Might add another color to them later but happy with it for now.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Maybe just a bit of a wash and call it there? I think they would look good at that point.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Also, on painting, I've got these tiny fuckers done to a standard I can tolerate, but no idea on what to do with respect to basing and even how to do it so it looks decent at this scale:

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

I'm glad they're leaning towards compiling everything into version 2 rather than having to get a mix of 1.0 and 2.0 books.

Also the robot crab dinosaur thing is neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

I think it looks great and I'll probably get one to ruin with paint regardless of what happens with those rules. I see they wrote in a way to mirror the allied/feral Resistance thing for Dropfleet so I assume it'll be a full faction in the future as opposed to just add-ons for UCM/PHR.