Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Slyphic posted:

Also, the problem isn't that the mold failed, it's that the mold was designed incompetently. Every cast is going to have that vent in the same place. The solution isn't a different piece, it's a better process.

TTCombat need to fire their casters. The mouldmaking is atrocious. I had a dropship that had a seam and vent which ran right across some tiny sculpted on vents. It was impossible to clean ans the only solution was to sans everything flat on both sides to make it look like there was nothing there in the first place. They could have just as easily sacrificed the detail on the hidden underside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ugleb posted:

If I have followed along correctly, TTCombat have expanded their resin production quite substantially over the past couple of years. Part of that has been hiring and training new staff to run it. So I suspect the issue here is partly a lack of experience as staff are learning what works and what doesn't, and maybe partly translating metal sculpts to resin.

Has anyone handled any infantry designed by TTCombat? I don't know how durable the new Valkyrie are.

That all said I gather the PHR Monitors had horribly placed gates, but I think they went back and changed that.

I feel that "don't place gates in highly visible areas of detail" is a fairly elementary concept in resin casting though. It's right up there alongside "don't drink the polyurethane hardener.".

Edit - I would have a little more sympathy were these really complex sculpts (say Kingdom Death or some other artisanal poo poo), but 6mm stuff really isn't and all of it has great big empty areas underneath to site your gates that no one will ever see.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

GreenMarine posted:

What's the trick to getting clean pin washes on (for example) the PHR plate seams and so forth? Or is there some other good way to get those to pop, but also not bleed into the panels.

Varnish gloss and then use an enamel wash such as Tamiya Panel Liner.

Efb

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sojenus posted:

beep boop terrain

Lovely! Whose MDF buildings are those?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Enjoy having whopping great seamlines and mold-slips through all that intricate detail!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Slyphic posted:

My TTC era Razorworms have their one and only gates IN THEIR FACES.

Yeah it's not great. Have the gates underneath then no one will care if it obliterates some detail.

I had a carnevale group which was more flash than miniature, and I had a DZC dropship where the gates were positioned right over the detailing on the side when there was a flat area 2mm away that would have served just as well.

Their resin casting team leaves much to be desired.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Slyphic posted:

My understanding is this is a conflux of a niche skill (mold mastering and casting) in a low labor pool area (rural South England), low pay and extreme micromanagement (from former employees and the stuff exposed by the SWG exchanges) leading to high turnover and a stream of newbies learning as they go then going just about the time they get competent.

I agree that resin casting is very much an art form and even lots of so-called "professionals" produce abysmal work (see Forgeworld). However there are a number of excellent contract casters available that could have done the work.

Also it seems to me that the original Hawk castings were superior - probably because they were farmed out to a contract casters.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ugleb posted:

Hawk had a couple of early duds but generally were very good. The resin PHR APC was cast in two halves split down the middle with a great big join line running along the centre when you assembled it for example. If one part shrank more than the other then good luck to you.

They fixed that by making plastic APC's and discontinuing the resin version entirely.

I don't know if Dave was involved in designing the resin molds or not, but I'm pretty sure he isn't now.

On Carnevale, I've only done 15 minis or so but have found the casts to be decent enough. Some bits came with a lot of fine flash but it cleaned off very easily.

The carnevale stuff was fine once the flash came off. Details a little soft and but not really a dealbreaker.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Slyphic posted:

https://asciolist.org/index.php/2022/11/28/dropzone-resin-buildings/

The resin buildings are 2 pounds of SOLID RESIN

I figured for sure they'd be slabs you glue together, but no, it's a monosculpt loving brick of resin.

Building boxes out of resin slabs is a pain but there are very reasonable ways of putting an insert in there to make them semi-hollow and save on material. It's not like the building needs to be solid for structural strength.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Slyphic posted:

Considering how much I rag on TTC for lack of quality control, it's crazy to think they're holding back enough horrific mistakes to make 60 cubic inch blocks of them.

I think if you can gently caress up casting one piece moulds you probably failed life somewhere in primary school.

Now that I think about it that's probably why they're 2 pound blocks of resin, the casters can't be trusted not to gently caress up a 2 part mould pour.