Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

Newsletter #38 has just gone out. There's links to the new errata (including unit cost revisions) for both the core and expansion rulebooks, more info on the new command units and some extra stuff can be found within.

Interesting timing for my gaming group as we was just discussing how it'd be nice if more companies would be willing to address certain issues their games have rather than just waiting until they re-edition their rules. This is given that problems aren't so deep as to require a significant overhaul.

As expected by my comments above, I like the approach that Hawk has taken with this, as they express their expectations that players would appreciate updates like this. It's not like it's a frequent occurrence, but revising unit costs in particular is not something I recall seeing or hearing about elsewhere. This would be the second time they've done so, along with the recent update to command cards for all except the Resistance which one would be expect to be current.

I can't comment on the changes as I haven't played enough games to form a valid opinion, but I trust they've been made with careful consideration. The only issue I have is the lack of full rulebook PDF options available, with updates to reflect revisions such as these. Changes like this really draw attention to their absence.

Edit: Didn't realise how late I was on this, the email found me late last night.

Danoss fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

After wanting a simple, easy to read and use reference for all the faction units, and not finding one that I liked, I decided to make one of my own. It started out as a spreadsheet-like layout, but then I simplified it to something usable on my smartphone.

Given I have no idea how to create an app, I thought a PDF with links displayed at full-screen would be functionally similar in the most basic way. It's still a work in progress (as error-free as I can manage) and made to suit the Nexus 5 screen dimensions, but should scale okay with faction logos being the only rasterised aspects. Figured I might as well share it in case anyone else has a use for this. Here's the link to it on Google Drive.

I also made a general reference sheet, based on one I saw on the Hawk Forums. It's more for printing (A4 page size), but should be fine on tablets too. If there's interest for that, here's the link.

As for faction discussion, the Resistance is what inspired me to jump on the game and I pre-ordered the big army pack from Hawk very early on. Especially after the release date changed, the wait was killing me. I caved and bought some Scourge soon after and have been loving it ever since. My Resistance models have been slowly coming together, but they haven't even hit the table yet with the Scourge having plenty to offer and mess around with. At least there'll be plenty of time to experiment with weathering effects the Resistance models really deserve.

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

MisterShine posted:

Have they released the new command cards yet? Or announced what theyre gonna be doing with them/is every faction just getting a 3rd edition version

New command cards have been out for a while now. They should be available whenever you get your DZC stuff from.

The strange thing is that the SKU is the same and the packaging provides no indication that it's the new version. The only way to tell is to have the shop open the package (the deck will remain pristine) and look for "1.1" in the top right corner.

You can still use the older card versions and rely on the PDFs Hawk has provided for the upgraded text. The only faction without upgraded cards is the Resistance, being new enough to have any changes considered before release.

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

Wales Grey posted:

If you have two commanders in your list and the higher-ranked one is in a command unit but the lower-ranked one isn't in a command unit, when using the lower-ranked commander to measure SoI for command cards do you use the higher ranked commander's radius in full or half it for not being from a non-command unit?

You always use the CV and Radius of the highest ranking Commander on the table. The lower-ranked unit behaves much like a Scout in this instance. Page 38 of the core rulebook has the info for Sphere of Influence.

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

I wonder if you could spray some varnish on the board to protect it before spreading on some thinned PVA glue and sprinkling on the flock, just like it was another hand-crafted terrain piece.

Also, if any players in Australia want to reinforce their cardboard buildings, Aetherworks make some MDF kits for then to slide over. They also make MDF kits to suit the print and play buildings on the Hawk website. I think the latter are better as they have ledges built into the design, whereas the others rely on the folded cardboard at the top. No idea what their international shipping is like if anyone else is interested.

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

BULBASAUR posted:

• The square flight stands should really be circles instead.

One advantage to square stands is the ability to eyeball front/side/rear arcs without needing to use a template. The only exception is the front (narrow) arc, but the square base helps align the template—particularly this one from Warsenal.

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

Ugleb is correct. You cannot embark having shot that turn. The rules are very clear about this. For all non-hovercraft-transported units, the rules are as follows:

Main Rulebook, p.48 posted:

Embarking/Disembarking Units may not shoot in the same turn as doing so. The transport may still fire its weapons in the usual way.

For hovercraft-transported units, the rules state:

Reconquest: Phase 1, p.119 posted:

A unit disembarking/embarking from a Hovercraft may forfeit its second disembark/embark allocation to fire its weapons in the same turn.

Hopefully that clears things up for you.

Danoss fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 20, 2015

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

dexefiend posted:

The goal of this kickstarter is to buy molds. Hawk wants this game to be sold at brick and mortar stores, so they can't give the entire game away in the Kickstarter!

You all probably know this, but I just wanted to see if you guys have the same viewpoint.

Of course. They've made their intentions quite clear before the Kickstarter and during. Plastic moulds are bloody expensive as far as I'm aware, so they're doing the right thing by themselves and backers.

Anyone moaning they're not getting enough bonus random crap to meet their perceived value are looking in the wrong place. Backing a known quantity like Hawk, I only required answering a couple of questions.

Is it something I'd like to see happen? Yes.
Am I getting value for money? Yes.

Well, that was simple enough. I'm fortunate enough that I play Scourge and a gaming buddy plays UCM. We're both pledging at Captain and should be able to simply exchange faction items between ourselves. Even without stretch goals I was already satisfied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

Flipswitch posted:

I feel loving retarded for this but I can't seem to actually put the pegs into my flight stands, they seem too big.

There's a slight flare to the end of the pegs which causes this. Lightly scrape it and test fit them until they slot in just right. Removing to much will result in a fit that is too loose.