Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I would have loved Hawk-approved paper maps, but this way I can take them someplace local and get them printed, which means I have unlimited maps. So I'm okay with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I've played more DFC than I have DZC, and I like DFC more. That's largely because I like spaceships more than I like tanks. I imagine if I'd started playing DZC earlier I'd like it almost as much. DFC has the big advantage of being their second game, so they've cleaned up some of the rough edges.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

wdarkk posted:

DFC seems much easier to store and transport, too.

Not having to set up a billion buildings to play a game is awfully nice...

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Ugleb posted:

I think I I like this one more. What about dropping the Seattle group's Jakarta to upgrade the Toulons into another cruiser? Dunno if that goes too far into offence and not enough defence though.

He could also use the Jakartas to Active Scan when the group doesn't need to go WF. I'm not the hugest fan of Jakartas, but it's a decent use of em so the points aren't wasted when they're not providing cover.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Each starter fleet's base set is pretty fairly balanced. So if you don't like the look of the UCM or Scourge, you can pick up a PHR starter set and play fairly with their starter fleet (1 heavy cruiser, 1 cruiser, 1 light cruiser, 2 striker carriers, 2 frigates, iirc. I just forget which ships are selected) against the UCM/Scourge/Shaltari starter fleets. If you don't like the look of any of the minis you can play with tokens or whatever other minis you like, as others have suggested.

And in general the starter fleets are pretty solid. I think people like PHR's Bellerophon much more than the Hector so you might swap that out, but I think the Hector's recently got a buff?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I like that list a lot. I'm still on the fence about Santiagos, but dropping them doesn't really get you much, and I suppose UCM does need to contest the corvette game at least a little. I'm tempted to try something similar in my next list.

Are you finding much success with the Lima? I'm always on the fence about mine.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I think you go with lower SR groups at 1250. Having an SR 4 New Orleans, Santiago, or Taipei group is handy for pulling turn order shenanigans.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

The rulebook is beautiful but useless. It wouldn't be so bad if it had a functional index. Or a consistent scheme for when special/odd rules are in sidebars.

I'm really glad I saved the quickplay reference sheet from my starter set since it has the game phases laid out really nicely and concisely. It helps so much when trying to remember the order of ground phases and fights and when orbital lasers and such fire.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Grey Hunter posted:

Yeah. When ugleb and i played a few weeks ago, we had to spend ten minutes hunting down the proceedure for orbital bombardment.

The actual rules are simple enough, but hidden in three places.

Yeah, what are the rules for that? It's like...make the bombardment roll at weapon value (unless it's not a bombardment weapon, in which case 6+?), if you hit there's some sort of armor save for the sector to do damage to the sector hp, and if the sector takes damage then every token within the sector takes a point of damage that they save with their orbital bombardment save (3+ for infantry, 5+ for tanks)? Or do you have to roll to hit tokens as well?

And all of this is only available if there are no friendly tokens there. And if you kill all sector hp, all tokens die? Or do they get displaced?

Fake edit: gently caress I should learn these rules before I build a Madrid. I should build one, though, because they look neat and are 2/3 the cost of a San Fran.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Huh, so if a sector takes 3 damage and has 4 tokens in it, only 3 of the tokens take saves? For some reason I thought every token makes a save for every point of damage.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Thanks. It's nice having it all laid out. That said, our lengthy discussion and inability to remember is a mark of the rather clunky rules. And these are simpler than the regular ground rules!

(I love this game so much but everything ground-related is a clusterfuck.)

Though I'd slightly modify your explanation like so:

Ugleb posted:

Roll to hit sector at 6+ (or lock value if bombardment)
Roll save using sector types armour
Criticals ignore armour
Sector takes damage, replace with ruins if destroyed
For each point of damage dealt, a token rolls a save (Infantry and Batteries on 3+, Armour on 5+). These must be allocated as evenly as possible.
If the sector was destroyed, each token is also destroyed on 2+

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

wdarkk posted:

I haven't really been impressed by my Nickars, but that could be because I'm always trying to kill PHR stuff with them.

Trying to kill PHR strike carriers seems like such a losing game. 5 health and 3+'saves...

The one game I played with corvettes I found my Santiagos were better off contesting his Echoes, and then I just leveraged cheaper strike carriers to win on the ground.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Grey Hunter posted:

The PHR get a double whammy of having the best strike crusiers (they are both tough and can bombard) AND troopships with multi-roles - I think all the PHR fleets at the weekend were rocking 4 Strike cruisers and 2 troopships, to the UCM's average of 4/1.

As a UCM player I am super jealous of the Orpheus compared to my San Franciscos. 130 pts vs 110, but you get 3 extra hull, lose 1" movement, and get a light cruiser's worth of weapons instead of a frigate's. Plus the Orpheus broadsides seem like they'd be good at fishing for strike carrier/corvette hits if there's nothing else great to shoot at.

I'm a little surprised you're finding tournament UCM's going for fewer ground assets than PHR. Does tournament UCM usually take a Madrid as well? I would have thought the cheaper UCM assets means there'd be room for more of em. Or maybe I should just be doing that anyways (6/1 in a 1250 list?).

EDIT: After looking at it, 6/1 plus 4 santiagos is 391 points, which seems like an awful lot of your 1250 point list. Though I suppose the old rule of thumb from Dropzone was to go a third, a third, a third.

To do something like that, what do you all think of a list like this:

--------------------------------------
UCM 1250 - 1249pts
UCM - 6 launch assets

SR11 Vanguard battlegroup (242pts)
1 x Atlantis - 205pts - H
   + UCM Vice-Admiral (80pts, 4AV)
1 x Lima - 37pts - L

SR15 Vanguard battlegroup (295pts)
1 x Moscow - 163pts - H
1 x Seattle - 132pts - M

SR7 Line battlegroup (175pts)
1 x San Francisco - 111pts - M
2 x New Orleans - 64pts - L

SR15 Line battlegroup (281pts)
1 x Berlin - 105pts - M
2 x New Cairo - 176pts - M

SR4 Pathfinder battlegroup (88pts)
2 x Santiago - 44pts - L
2 x Santiago - 44pts - L

SR4 Pathfinder battlegroup (128pts)
------------- dflist.com -------------

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 29, 2017

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Gotcha. I didn't realize it was 999. How do you like the Osakas? I think about building some pretty often because the models are neat, but I feel like I'd rather have New Cairos.

(Shouldn't your Commodore be 20 pts? Free upgrade for being in a heavy?)

What do you think about running 5/1 at 999, with 4 corvettes? My sample list is pretty similar to yours but runs a second Berlin instead of the paired light cruisers, and drops the Jakartas.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I think that 4 New Orleans, 1 SF, 1 Madrid would be alright but on the light side? Dunno, haven't played many 1250 games. Adding a second SF would probably be a good idea.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Flipswitch posted:

Yea I kinda find at basic format it boils down to who brought the most drop so probs that. Wish bulk landers could drop one armour.

Do you have any corvettes? Those can sort of compensate.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Flipswitch posted:

Yeah bud I got a full set. I'll be taking at least 4.

So first draft:

I like the list. I think I need to play more with Jakartas (and more against carrier-capable PHR/Scourge to justify them), because I kept experimenting with dropping them and/or the Lima. (Always remember you can active scan with a backfield New Orleans you plan on using to claim your home objective, particularly if you have decent asteroid belt cover. Same for a San Francisco though its vulnerability lasts longer. So long as you don't need the special order for something else.) Your list is surprisingly tight, points-wise. I was wondering if you could drop both Jakartas and the Lima for a second Berlin and that only gets you to 104 points free. Alternatively, drop the Lima and one Jakarta, and you can take two New Cairos in place of the Berlin. That's probably not a great trade given the Berlin's improved survivability, but at least it gives you more high priority targets for your opponent, to shield the San Franciscos and Madrid a bit.

EDIT: Also, Bistro, congrats on getting your ships' photos featured in the formal gallery on Hawk's website. They're fantastic.

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 3, 2017

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I think the Shaltari normal cruisers look way better than their light cruisers; but I haven’t used either.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

The carrier and the atmospheric ones look rad. Something to counter dropship spam and also get crits on the side? And a viable alternative to the Seattle? Hell yes.

Not sure about the torpedo one. It doesn’t have limited-1, but I imagine that is an oversight? Or is that what they mean by having the torp separate?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Does that Electra look ridiculous to anyone else? 7 HP with 3+ armor for 60 pts is really solid, and front arc H+S shots seem like they'd be really good at helping snipe down heavy cruisers and up. Plus you can keep them in the back and start shooting about the time the battle lines engage.

The Ariadne seems kinda eh. Having another bulk lander option is really nice, and I suppose the weapons loadout is solid for a back-line option (again, front arc shots on H+S stuff that's likely to be weapons free anyways, and the Ariadne has the Electra's firepower until the Electra goes weapons free).

The Jason blockade runner seems hilarious for chasing down corvettes and dropships. Flit around the sides of a battle using 3+ drones to crit & kill strike carriers? Don't mind if I do! And you can still plink away at anything that goes weapons free...

The Odysseus also seems really good. Use that to go counter strike carriers on side objectives, so you can out-drop the tanks with 3 infantry. It might not be points-efficient and it is probably a bit too vulnerable compared to adding strike carriers instead, but I like the idea.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I’m not sure how I feel about bucket of dice, but one thing it does do compared to going for a 2+ lock or whatever is change the crit ratios. Where you want the crit ratios depends on what you want the DN to be effective against and what you want to be effective against it.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I think the only advantage to status quo is it means your stat blocks have stuff that should be evenly matched have similar values on both scales. It’s a little archaic but it makes it a little easier to compare stat blocks at a glance. Not sure if that is worth the combat streamlining.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Has anyone tried playing much on tabletop simulator or Vassal? It seems like a better solution than trying to get my friend who lives an hour away together for us to push unpainted grey space fleets at each other.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Hey, can someone point me in the direction of the fusillade rule? I kickstarted this and played a few games back then, but a bunch of the newer ships have fusillade and I can't remember what that does, and don't think it was in the launch rulebook.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Toalpaz posted:

It's in the core rules too. If you do weapons free or whatever the shoot order is you get extra dice on the weapon equal to the fusillade number.

Thanks. I'll dig out the rulebook again, but that's a helpful reminder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

You can also paint them without the pin lines, seal them with a gloss coat, and apply some pin liner that's normally used by the ww2 tank modeling community. I think it's from Tamiyo? I forget exactly, but I'm sure someone can give you a link. Matte coat over the top after you do that, and it works great.