Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
An extra thing to note is that they were discussing the possibility of a Phase 3 book covering both Dropzone AND Dropfleet. That would mean the book's Dropzone half isn't valid for much longer than a year, so you'd be buying it for the plot and to keep yourself interested until 2nd Edition launches.

I will be honest and say I've not been keen on Dropzone's metaplot. I'd vastly have preferred it if they'd left the front lines vague and just given us a galactic map with big arrows instead of naming each and every Cradle World. Naming individual planets would have been fine but not every single one of them, meaning players can't make up their own warzones. We've also not had any info on the PHR that isn't more handwaving OMINOUSNESS, and it got a little tiresome seeing the UCM get shafted all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I would play the heck out of a Pungari Liberation Army list.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Where are these pictures you're all drooling over?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I chatted to Dave and he mentioned some things about Dreads:

UCM "gun dreadnought" can throw 30 dice a turn. Will have fusillade weapons similar to the Kiev, and 2+ armour. UCM will also get a supercarrier.

Shaltari dread has a 28" signature with shields DOWN. PHR dread still seeing extensive testing.

There will be tweaks to the battlegroup rules to accomodate single-dread battlegroups in smaller games.

Andy Chambers is back consulting on the new rulebook.

Loxbourne fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Apr 15, 2018

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Ugleb posted:

I'm not sure I want bucket of dice mechanics but I guess its going to be fairly inevitable with floating battlestations in play. I'd rather they drop the dice pool and fiddle with lock values etc. Supercarrier is good though, I think UCM should be throwing out the strike craft.

28" base sig on a Shaltari ship is...curious. Is it meant to be particularly big or are the other races even more ridiculous?

If the PHR dread is 'still in extensive testing' I'm reading that as 'currently kinda broken'.

Should Dreads even be in smaller games? Unless they consider 1250pts to be a smaller game in the context of dreads I guess.

Some of this was covered in our conversation. Dave would like Dreads in smaller games but doesn't want them becoming must-picks. He does like the idea of lone DNs in smaller games or tournament-level matches as a kind of "hunt for the Lonely Queen" type scenario, and dreads will be specifically exempt from the battlegroup cap. All dreads will have very high sigs - given the talk of 2+ armour on the UCM one the idea is more that they just tank hits rather than make any attempt at stealth. He quoted figures for indicative hull points too, I don't remember the exact numbers but they were a big jump up from even battleships. Dreadnoughts are intended to force the whole battle to be played around them.

That 30 dice figure was with fusillade. Of course I should have asked if it included CAWs...

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Flipswitch posted:

its a relic of the old lovely british games dave grew up with.

Specifically Epic 40K and Battlefleet Gothic. That table turned me off Dropzone and I held off on backing the Dropfleet kickstarter until I confirmed it wouldn't be there. Wargames should not have firepower tables in TYOOL 2018.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
You would use all the wing sections to build 2 Kievs, and be left with the centre pieces for the other classes.

I'm thinking of magnetising mine.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The link doesn't work, I'm afraid.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Looks decent. I'd like to see it bow-on to get an idea of how the "sheaf" of weapon decks all fit together.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
That'd be the group I left after their moderators repeatedly took no action against the guy posting Nazi-themed armies?

Just sayin', that might be influencing the quality of the debate.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I was worried about the UCM dreadnought but it looks pretty decent. Obviously mass turret overload but what were you expecting? Leeetle disappointed in the recycling of the Remnant cruiser gun turrets; you'd think the UCM would have a different turret design after 160 years.

Kinda reminds me of the Comet Empire missile cruiser.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I think the UCM one will look a lot better sans those irritating turrets. Stick some WW2-style triple or quad guns on there and it'll look a lot better.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Ugleb posted:

The Scourge dreadnought was always going to be some massive squid beast and I'm OK with that.

I feel it's the wrong way round, probably out of a desire to recycle the Akuma nose. If it were tentacles-first, like the Aquan dreadnought from Firestorm Armada, I'd be all for it.

I'm perfectly fine with the PHR death-whale, it knows what it is and makes it work with a modicum of style. And the UCM one will be fine as soon as I reshuffle the turrets.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Ugleb posted:

Just had a random thought that may be terrible. What if there was a 'blockade' ship class in Dropfleet? Something, probably a smaller hull, that could inhibit your opponents ability to reach clusters? It sits over a cluster, so in low orbit where other ships can target it, and then proceeds to get in your opponents way forcing them to kill it if they want to contest a cluster.

We are supposedly getting defence monitors in Battle for Earth. They will presumably have some way to interdict a cluster.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Full Cloak on the Nosferatu?! Holy catfish! They're both pretty light on firepower though (Scald keeps them suitably painful), but I'm having flashbacks to Akuma Supremacy.

The UCM Dicenaught is as expected, and I like the way their supercarrier keeps the heavy guns. The PHR whale-dread looks pretty cool but I'm not sure I see the point of the !planetcracking one.

Shaltari having lighter DNs with voidgates is a nice touch, too. All in all the dreads look pretty good.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I really hope the new supplement and new edition injects life back into the game. I'm about to unpack my UCM and PHR fleets after a house move and I realised none of them has seen a table in anger.

I've never gotten a game of Dropfleet since the launch and there's this infuriating aura of "haha it'll be crushed when Games Workshop releases Battlefleet Gothic 2" in my local FLGS. The aura of toxicity around the Kickstarter seemed to put a lot of people off right when the game was ramping up :(

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm finally buying the Shaltari and Plague starters off a guy here. Anything I should know? Or can I just get kitbashing?

Magnetising is harder than it looks but can be done. The Scourge cruisers are surprisingly friction-fit - I haven't even glued most of mine, since the difference between a light and standard cruiser is the shape of the wing sections. Oh, and the Scourge wings are sharp. Watch out for them as you cut them off the sprues.

If you mean in terms of fleet builds, all the starter fleets are solid and the game is fairly low on trap options. Expect Scourge cruisers to die quickly (their light cruisers die if you sneeze on them). The Shaltari are the irritating git faction so play them accordingly and lean into their gimmicks.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Well, I said I'd do Amarr-style golden PHR and here they all are, sitting in my display cabinet:

The PHR cruiser gun banks are magnetised, and the battlecruiser's fins have an appointment with a hot water bath after getting bent during a house move. But all in all I'm quite pleased although doing all the tiny hexagons was (a) hell and (b) good practice for the Shaltari.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
How do I make Shaltari ion chamber things not look like novelty Christmas tree ornaments? I can get them to an even blue but can't find any way to highlight their detail that doesn't look deeply silly.

Any suggestions?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
It did turn out quite well, you can be pleased with that.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
That's some gorgeous work, wdarkk.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Dave is a massive C&C fan. This is clearly a UCM Mobile Construction Vehicle.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The theme for BFE seems to be Huge Setpiece Models, which I suppose is fitting for the big finale assault of the Reconquest before whatever plot revelations they throw in for a second edition.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Ugleb posted:

Any word on if they are the same faction, or two distinct fleets?

It's the Resistance "two different approaches to the same list" method again. The shiny ships are from Kallium, an isolationist colony that refused to join the UCM and is now basically Space North Korea. The scrappier ships are remnant fleets, with the biggest remnant being survivors from Vega.

Given we now have a PHR-occupied cradle world, I wonder if they'll seek out revenge.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Is there a reason to use the 2-HP heavy tanks now? That was my big bugaboo with v1. If you're going to base your core faction on GDI then I want to use mammoth tanks, dammit.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I've not read BFE, what sort of units ARE Behemoths? I get they're huge giant kaiju things, which is a bit of a departure for some factions.

I can't see the UCM being that invested in a single unit, or the Resistance being able to afford one (unless it's something like a huge mining excavator or such, which would be excellent). Are they all giant robots of some kind or is there more nuance?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Ugleb posted:

New ships for Dropfleet!

Corvette sized Lighter class huh. A resistance fireship and a UCM...transport? Ewar?

Given all the fluff about the Lysander I'm guessing a combination of Full or Partial Cloak and Detector. Maybe drop capacity?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I do find myself wondering just what the Lysander is for. It supposedly has one extra rule, which I guess might be dropping super-duper-black-ops troops?

The Scourge boarding ram is lovely.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The PHR art style so far hasn't given them visible point-defence weapons. So my money is on close-action batteries of some kind.

What's the current state of torpedoes? Were they given a buff in the update?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Ptolo posted:

Six years later I finally got around to painting all the ships I received from the Kickstarter rewards.

Those UCM hangar bays are superb! Can you share the paint mix you used on the interiors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Fewer plastic sprues and a smaller rulebook with half the pagecount...seems costcutting is the order of the day. TTC probably are stretching their existing plastic stockpile as renewing tooling etc could be very expensive. Or I could be wrong and this is a production capacity issue, and whoever does their plastic sprues has drastically cut their output or raised their prices. That would at least explain why it took so long to get more starter boxes. It was really frustrating watching all the positive coverage come and go with nothing on the shelves!

If you cornered Dave at a convention he'd usually tell a few stories about his Spartan Games days, mostly about early Firestorm Armada sculpts. It sounded like he and his group got out early on to found Hawk, which is why Spartan had such a huge change in art style from FSAv1 to FSAv2.

I always wanted to ask him why FSA had so many different Terran cruiser designs.