Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Played a 1500 point game, Shaltari vs. Scourge. Came down to who controlled one Focal Point, and I was 60 points shy. The Gharial owns pretty hard and is great for killing armor and flamethrowering the Christ out of enemy infantry in buildings.

Shaltari own, Scourge own, this game owns, Dropfleet Commander looks like it's going to own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Time to start selling plasma and extraneous organs so I can buy tons of Dropfleet.

Hopefully my FLGS has room for me to set up a dialysis machine.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

This is like the tenth time I've looked at these ships and they somehow get even better each time I see them.

Goddammit, Hawk, take my money, take all my money, give me amazing spaceships.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

As a Shaltari player I seem to end up driving like half my stuff onto the board because all of my poo poo is expensive and I could buy more gates I guess, except I like to have redundant gates for my infantry just in case and also more gates=less PEW PEW PEW.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

New update posted
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hawkwargames/dropfleet-commander/posts/1399882

They didn't expect the PHR to unlock until Week 3 :allears:

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I like the various people on various forums grumbling cuz "this kickstarter is a mess, these stretch goals are dumb, how could they not have planned this better" as if Hawk should've realized they'd exceed their target goal by 450% in less than 48 hours.

It reminds me of when another game kickstarter ended with 70,000 GBP or something like with a 35,000 GBP goal and some people were calling the kickstarter a failure and maybe the company should go back to the drawing board and try again, all because "well Mantic's Kickstarter got a million dollars therefore".

People are.... are not very bright, are they?

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 31, 2015

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Holy moley, those Shaltari Ships!

:eyepop:

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Those PHR ships! :circlefap:

I... I'm going to end up buying every fleet, aren't I?

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

That one ship that has 3 guns that automatically cause 2 critical hits and if you don't activate shields, they cause 3 :fap:

EDIT: Yesss the Obsidian

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I once played a game where I took four Caimans and two Ocelots.

It was glorious.

I'm also That Guy who almost never uses his gates and doesn't take much infantry and just shoots everything. It's surprisingly effective most of the time!

Hell, I play Shaltari more like PHR.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Dec 28, 2015

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

I will give him credit for being the first person I have taught to actually shoot occupied buildings. Falling masonry is mean.

Yeah, from what I've heard people almost never do this and I don't understand why. I play Shaltari and I usually bring the minimum amount of Infantry and maybe some Firstborn. Everything else is just big guns, and when applicable I grab the objectives closest to me and try to demolish buildings that are out of my reach. It usually works out pretty well for me.

I'm weird and I bring only like three Edens and a couple of Spirits and I just turtle and mow everything down. It's pretty rare for me to actually utilize the faction's mobility.

I remember I was playing the Super Laser Bunker scenario with the local Hawk Talon once. He was playing Resistance with a boatload of infantry and he had a ridiculous number of berserkers in the laser. So I just thought a moment and then asked "Can I destroy the laser?" and he sighed and, n a very defeated tone said "Yeah, you can."

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

So general release probably won't be till August. I want my super awesome space ships. I want them so bad. :argh:

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I know guy who has his Warmachine Retribution of Scyrah guys painted grey with Balkenkreuz...es...Balkenkreuzen? all over them, but I know the guy well enough to know he's (probably) not a Nazi, but I still kinda cringe internally whenever I see them.

Back when I played 40K, though, there was a guy who had his Imperial Guard army standard bearer holding a red flag with a black triskele in a white circle in the middle and that... that was... not good.

EDIT: Actually it technically was not a triskele since the ends weren't spirals. It was more like that old three-pronged Skaven symbol.

EDIT EDIT: In general it's probably a Very Bad Idea to include any kind of blatant real-life military references in your tiny plastic/resin/metal space/elfmans

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Unless you're playing historicals.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 19, 2016

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I'm now sorely tempted to start playing Bolt Action or something, buying a German army and painting their uniforms lavender or some other grossly historically inaccurate color.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I want that gravity-warping Shaltari frigate and I want as many of them as possible.

I may not win a lot of games but I may cause some table flips!

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Mid October? :smith: The wait is killing me.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah I didn't support the kickstarter, as a rule I don't do kickstarter (but I'm wishing I made an exception for this one). RIP me.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I tend to find many BoW videos to be rambling and a touch obnoxious. It's like "OK, Darrel or whatever your name is, I really don't give a gently caress what you think about the game right now, show me how to play it, go through a turn, and then you can start waxing philosophical about it". Like any time I click on a "HOW TO PLAY X!" game and see that it's 90 minutes long I groan and roll my eyes.

Maybe that's changed, though, I haven't watched anything from them but a couple of Dropfleet videos in years.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 29, 2016

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Played my first DFC games last night, Shaltari Starter vs. UCM starter.

Game is super fun! I lost the first game really bad when I put up my Mothership's shields far too soon and kinda left it in the middle of nowhere by itself. Second game I still lost but it was much closer. Shields up vs. Shields down is a pretty important tactical decision for Shaltari, since most of the time I found I actually really preferred the smaller signature and the point defense. The voidgates are handy for potentially popping dropships in atmosphere.

Overall I'm really happy with the game and am looking forward to playing it more.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I played a game with the Scourge this time. I lost but they're hilariously killy. Get shot to poo poo running up to the enemy while screaming but if you live you then melt their face off with buckets of Scalding weaponry :getin:

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Hey, does anyone know why Battleships seem to be always sold out at all US retailers? I've been wanting a Diamond/Platinum for months now but they've never, ever been in stock anywhere and it's getting actually quite frustrating.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

wdarkk posted:

IIRC the US distributor is a huge piece of poo poo about restocking.

Possible, I suppose, but there are a couple of US distributors, unless they're getting their supply from the same intermediary or some poo poo. I don't know how this kind of stuff works, but that sounds.... unlikely. Either way, it's really soured the local FLGS to Hawk (not helped by some bizarre incorrect shipments in a DZC order) and it's really making me hesitant to try to promote the game... Telling people "Oh yeah some of the stuff is only available from Hawk directly, hope you're ok with paying $25 shipping or waiting until enough people get a group order or something".

Oh well. Maybe some day it'll all get ironed out. :(

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

If this buyout by TTCombat means my FLGS can reliably get stuff from US distributors, I will be ridiculously happy. It was so hard to get stuff when the game launched that it really left a bad impression on the FLGS owner.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I'm glad they're available again. I guess I'll have to harass my FLGSs to harass their distributor(s) since when I message TTCombat a while back they said they were ready to to go, they just needed NA distributors to actually put in orders.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Oh, yikes, I definitely hope the US distributors pick things up... Shipping on the DZC 2-player set is about $40 :yikes: Smaller stuff is about $7, which isn't too bad, all though I think it'll be really tough to get people interested if the only way they can get it is to pay MSRP and then also shipping from the UK

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

darnon posted:

Noble Knight generally stocks TT Combat's stuff here in the US so at the very least I would expect to see things available there.

Good to know, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I actually sent TTcombat an email a while back asking about the lack of availability in the US, and this was their reply:

"Kingsley Distribution is our sister company that deals with orders for retailers. We're currently working to try to get the previous distributors in the states to keep up with their orders. At the moment we're just waiting for them to get their orders in! The best thing for DZC and DFC fans to do to get that to happen is to go to your local store and keep pestering them to stock the games! We're pretty much ready to go whenever, we just need stores to get involved! :)"

This was in January.

I'm still trying to hope the situation will improve, but I'm not very optimistic.