Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Ohhh yeah, me and my buddy are one of the last 140. Feels good man. I know other people in Canada who've recieved theirs we're just unlucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Hey folks, I know I don't post here very often but I play Shaltari and UCM in both games. Well, I'm planning on building into UCM fleet later. Anyways.

Have any of you done the math on the Cloudfliers?

At 18 points each, they're 108 for a full squad of 6.

They're super fast so they're probably going to be shooting by turn 2, at 30 attack dice, 10 should hit, and against a 3+ save that's about 3 damage or so, at 4+ that's 5 damage, and at 5+ that's 7 dp or so.

They're 12 hp total, but it takes 6 weapon fires to kill the whole squad. They can dive into atmosphere and still shoot. They can hit any target. Their weapon isn't close action. I dunno, seems really good for 108 points. I could see myself taking 4 groups easily and just eating up their troop ships from atmo. I'm not worried about them not being able to crit because the volume of dice is pretty great, so on average you should be doing steady damage. I dunno, seems good even compared to the 100 pt Granite that almost is sure to do 4 damage.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

head58 posted:

Hi folks - I’m selling off my DFC UCM fleet. It’s almost entirely assembled, primed and magnetized to swap between ship configurations because I’m terrible at making decisions.

Battlefleet Box
-1 Battlecruiser (magnetized)
- 6 cruisers (1 San Fran, 5 magnetized)
-8 frigates (4 Tokyo/Taipei/New Orleans, 4 Jakarta/Lima)
-3 corvettes
Command and activation decks, stands, decals, and a baggie of extra bits.

5 more New Orleans frigates
2 Destroyers (Kiev)
1 cruiser sprue
Rulebook

Looking for $100 for the whole lot, plus shipping. Let me know if you’re interested.

Nice post/game combo.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

How good is dropzone at the moment? Last time I played a few games (years and years ago) shaltari were still considered OP and freshly nerfed (I think their move speed or TP rules) and medusa? (8 wound infantry that could only take one hit at a time or something) was pushing PHR to be fairly strong.

Is this still fairly true about the game or has the balance shifted ?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

My heart tells me a deep dark purple or green might look good, if subtle.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

oooof. I love dazzle camo but my painting skills, while much better than a long time ago, are not suited for clean decisive lines or attractive designs.

Witness my ugly first UCM model. It isn't done but the camo looks pretty bad and I'm wondering if I should give up on it considering how much these guys cost, I'd prefer to have a clean and simple army.

I also really should have used a darker green rather than black for the recesses.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

I've got a question about drop fleet commander...

When you're allocating attack dice from one activated group of ships, and lets say for example you're pooling 3 close action weapons into one target, will the target's point defence only get one chance to roll against the hits in this pool of attacks? Or will it respond against the three different close action weapons at full value.

E:
I can't really provide list advice flipswitch but I made this list on a whim after reading through the rules again and deciding I wanted to do all lights.

Shaltari Light Runners 1500 pt ARMADA (1487 Tru* Value)

Line Group ... 320
Eternity Lance, Granite Cruiser ... 100
~ Star Shaman ~ ... 20
Mirror World, Emerald Cruiser ... 100
Refraction, Emerald Cruiser ... 100

Pathfinder Group ... 321
Jade 1-4 ... 180
Amethyst 1-2 ... 96
Voidgates 1-3 ... 45

Pathfinder Group ... 321
Jade 1-4 ... 180
Amethyst 1-2 ... 96
Voidgates 1-3 ... 45

Pathfinder Group ... 525
Mercury 1-3 ... 180
Mercury 1-3 ... 180
Silicon 1-3 ... 165

Personally, I love the jades, that for a whopping 180 points can pump out up to 4 damage with their particle lances.

The two Granite for 200 points can potentially double it, and even without a fire order still produce 4 damage too. Of course I don't really know how important signature and speed are, but at a glance they seem horrible which is why they're in the list.

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 25, 2020

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Flipswitch posted:

I think musing on it, I do remember the ground-game being very important so I might be tempted to bin the Viennas for a Madrid in the Pathfinder Group 2. It's a 1pt change so it's easy to experiment with. The Vienna's seem a little weird, very slow AEGIS ships and with BTLs.

FWIW the Aegis ship needing to be within 4", along side the 4" thrust, coupled with the fact that when you're defending using point defence you're in close action range, leads me to believe the Madrid is probably a better all rounder choice.

In a king of the hill type situation where you're going to be parking your ships over a big city cluster, you may want the Monitor Aegis for it's staying power and dps. If you're splitting up into 2-3 groups to capture a bunch of places? It seems like a poor choice.

Actually I think Dropfleet list building probably would pair well with infinity style tournament list building. I don't know how tourney play works with the game though so, if they're doing something similar already that's cool.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Arcturas posted:

Hey, can someone point me in the direction of the fusillade rule? I kickstarted this and played a few games back then, but a bunch of the newer ships have fusillade and I can't remember what that does, and don't think it was in the launch rulebook.

It's in the core rules too. If you do weapons free or whatever the shoot order is you get extra dice on the weapon equal to the fusillade number.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Hey hey hey.... reading the main rules and it says launch assets phase works by launching the fleet's assets all at once one by one until it's time to resolve the effects.

If you dog pile one ship with like 3-4 carriers worth of bombers, does its point defence just roll once against your fleet's worth of bomber tokens?

If so bombers seem pretty sweet... in comparison you need much bigger numbers on close action weapons to do similar effects.

E: Wow, all of the particle lances getting fusillade 1 is a pretty big deal too. Pretty neat balance work but I wonder what the though process was considering it's very nearly a 33-40% damage buff to some ships. I knew it always felt a little low at 1 shot 2 damage for the Opals though.

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 28, 2020

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Had a 1500 point table top simulator game because, covid. We were really just re-learning the rules and such. Was fun. My friend commented that PHR was much better with fusillade, and I have to say that it felt like an even fight myself.

It was power grab, only made it until the end of turn four before we had to wind down for the night...

You can see here my bold strategy of putting all my ships down the centre line, to contest the centre cluster worth 1 point.

Fighting is hectic... the ignoble amethyst and phr frigates bomb the centre cluster...

All of my frigates swarm the frontline as the wretched enemy pick off my valuable emeralda motherships and basalt carriers. The Chromiums and Cobalt peel off, maintaining a low profile while trying to neutralize the strike carriers on the northern cluster.

Game feels a lot better! I have to say I also realized the particle lances are a lot less broken than I thought they'd be, as the weapons fire order combined with the narrow arc make a fusillade unlikely.

Also, I forgot how necessary it was to delete atmospheric landing frigates, they're not ideal for that either.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Actually! Looking at the most recent 2020 errata.... there isn't a particle lance buff mentioned at all! :(

Some army builders include point alterations and particle lance fusillades, and some don't. They all have the chromium destroyers, so up to the recent book.

Did the recent errata walk back points changes/fusillade on Shaltari? Which army builders are correct? Do I need to find older erratas and use those in conjunction with the Jan 2020 one?

Also help, my friend really hates the PHR lighters despite being incredibly points efficient and epic.

Sure they're shot down easily, but two for 60 points and you can turn off cruisers for a turn? If they're on normal orders until they enter combat they're usually safe because they're only 2" sig. Ships only have 3 turns of good shooting... turning off a battleship for 1-2 of those turns is almost OP.

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 29, 2020

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Incy posted:

The dropfleetcommander builder is the source of the current ship stats.

Ah I see... a shame it looks so ugly and is hard to use, but this clarifies things a lot.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Aren't Glass Cloudfliers a little broken?

They move like 16" a turn, and have 5 shots apiece that hit on 4+ in atmosphere for 18 pts... That means they can move 32" and dive into atmosphere, then next turn enter low orbit, adjust, move 12" and dive into atmo again and unleashing 30 4+ close action weapon shots against atmospheric enemies...

For 200 pts you get 12 and shut down all of the assault carrier frigates.

E: I guess the counterplay is staying in low orbit... because their effectiveness drops way off and they have no survivability. Also cruiser+ lander carriers.

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 30, 2020

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Any idea why they nerfed torpedoes to not come back if you roll a 1 and miss? The ships that have them trade pretty large weapon systems for the privilege of flat 6 hit or crit usually, seems strange to nerf them when they're so capped by limited fire too.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Here are my Platinum and Opals.

The lighting is bad and I'm not really capturing a lot of the browns with my bad camera but they're mostly neat and done.I tried to give the jewel things a nmm coppery look. The corn cockpit things are supposed to have a weird milky brown look, but the shading isn't apparent at all in the photo. :(

I really need to be more strong about how I shade my minis, but as I'm painting them I'm always gunshy and I don't end up putting enough dramatic depth.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Ugleb posted:

Painted is progress! Maybe try an extra layer of wash into some recesses to get some more depth as a simple next step?

I will probably wash them again, that's the simplest solution. :)

Had another 6 hour game with my dear friend. Scourge vs Shaltari on power grab.

Here you can see us contesting the northern cluster. You can catch the Scourge corvettes approaching my lonesome red gates. This is just a few turns before those corvettes wipe out my gates, basically collapsing my southern landing forces.

My own corvettes dash through the north east. They meet the scourge caw frigates and assault landers, which due to sabotage, manage to catch the cloudfliers before they dip into atmosphere wiping them out.

My platinum manages to put serious hurt on the scourge 'akuma'. The combine launch 15 manages to make quick work of all the cruiser sized ships, but the atmospheric frigates fair much better.

The scourge admiral, manages to ram a basalt at full hull, killing it in an instant.

By the end of the battle however, the corvettes wiping out my void gates in the south, and concentrated fire on my motherships resulted in me being unable to hold the ground clusters. I lost at power grab. :(

The platinum supercarrier did almost nothing all game, which was disappointing. The bombers being unable to do anything about various atmospheric ships made the game mostly a struggle to roll sixes against atmospheric frigates.

The scourge monitor isn't game breakingly broken, but it's incredibly strong. Being slow is mitigated by bonuses to active scanning. They each have potential of 4 damage, on one weapon system, that criticals on 5+, with a full front arc that they can fire while active scanning for 40~ pts. On other ships that is mitigated by splitting up the weapon into two pieces, like the granite who has to go weapons free to make use of it's two (four I guess) shots. It's really hard to line up the narrow arc though. Usually it's flying around with a single two damage weapon online.

The atmospheric layer is so hard to deal with to be honest. I am going to take a fleet less skewed to dealing with cruiser and higher tonnage next time thought, so it should be less frustrating.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Ugleb posted:

The Selenium heavy voidgate might be worth using if you aren't already, and maybe Glass corvettes?

The Helium Voidflyer lighters may be a good option for interception, but I don't think they will be great in atmosphere. They can go into atmo but don't have air to air on their 1 shot weapon.

Cloudflier == glass

Voidflier is something else I didn't take.

Moonwolf posted:

Glasses are lock 5+ and therefore can't crit. They can't kill equal points at all, you get 1.66 hits per glass and then they get PD + armour and you fail to bring down a single lander with 6 of them. They look like they should be good but that 5+ renders them absolutely trash.

Air to Air gets -1 to hit son. Glasses are hitting things in the soup on 4+.

E:
This is literally the funniest FAQ. My personal opinion that while the Selerium can throw a decent amount of dice for the points, it's roles are so muddled that it isn't worth taking. Monitor alongside escape velocity and voidgate is such a nonbo.

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 10, 2020

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Flipswitch posted:

Do you guys use the multiple orbital levels much? Me and a friend played some games tonight and found it to be the one rule we didn't use much.

We're going to simplify the ground combat rules to make it faster as it's a drag otherwise.

Atmosphere is pretty important, especially for scourge as a faction I imagine given all of their frigates are atmospheric. Orbit vs Low Orbit is a little more iffy, but I do like it and use it personally. Its nice that troop carriers will tend to be in low orbit, and navy carriers will be in high orbit and get a little cover bonus against most ships fighting in low orbit while launching bombers.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

What's the enth year reflection on dropzone commander like, is it an obviously broken/boring game or is there an accepted fair rules/missionset?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Slyphic posted:

Without recounting the whole storied history, the best received edition of the game was the public beta from 2018 that was beingly widely played in the great lakes region of the US. That was the height of the game's popularity. The 2017 tournament pack was the best missionset.

Thanks, this is really helpful. I'd love to take a slice of those rules and try and decide if I can sell this game to friends again.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

We played a 1750 pt game UCM vs PHR on TTS. (Version. 2.x)

It was just as uh, idk. The game just always had a bunch of high stakes 3-6 dice rolls that can be deflating when you miss. He knocked out 4 (6 hits) of my tanks with stealth missile crits. The game was fine, but the Super heavy tank walker + sirens felt difficult to play around, so all my armour got blown up and even though I took 6 rapiers, and 8 AA wolverines I was unable to down more than 1 drop ship.

His own Anti Armour did nothing, just stealth missiles + strafe gauss and sirens mopping up my 10 bases of infantry. Still I took down a fair portion of enemies, it just felt weirdly decisive.

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 13, 2023

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

I've played like 3-4 over many many years. We each made our own lists, but he just took things he has irl. He likes the fat walker, I just mostly lose to it.

In the new simplified rules they specify that buildings only create collateral damage on critical hits (which like, we assumed was a 6's but that's actually overkill in previous editions right?) and we played the bunker mission with actual bunkers, (20 damage pts) so the opportunity to knock down buildings was low.

I took a janky Kodiak + 6 longbows mostly because I wanted to fart around with indirect fire. I think a flame tank + better building destruction rule adherence would make the sirens manageable. We may go play beta rules again, because we both liked the simultaneous combat phase too and the CQB 'shooting' felt bad with the whole defender disadvantage thing (missing a turn).

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Happy to have gotten an e-game of dropfleet. Relearning the rules as a result of watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes (1989). (You can see the fleet action that inspired me by clicking through.) I took 11 Toulons at 1k.

The Toulon Frigate swarms devoured those PHR light cruisers, almost two a turn. The squadron guns rule makes them very good, but I didn't realize while making the list that you couldn't stack two 'squads' and benefit from the squadron rule. They get grouped up at the start of the game into a larger squad called a group. :I 2d6 less squad guns, but still very good fun.

Luckily they never catastrophically exploded. I imagine it could set off a huge chain reaction. I might play them differently in the future, but UCM is much more intuitive to play compared to space shaltari. X9

I did the dice calculations on shaltari, and it's almost always better to take disintegration compared to those weird particle guns. Critting on 5's really evens out the dice rolls in a way I didn't understand back when the game was released.

Shields are also much better than I realized, saving crits is important but it's hard to understand the tradeoffs of everyone in the table getting to shoot a shielded ship.

Those are all my thoughts, I'll be trying to play a larger game, shalteri list, 1500 and focus on disintegrators + using shields to make enemies focus on my larger ships while crowds of frigates set up.

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jul 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Sojenus posted:

and you can trigger it per target if you fire enough guns at multiple ships, so it's not all downside at least!

:aaa:

Does anyone know how you do shaltari?

It seems really hard to actually land a granite all weapons, are the disintegrators considered more reliable than the particle ships?