Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Anyone managed to get a game in or paint some new models recently?

I finished some new Stormwagons, but haven't had a chance to field them yet. Had to postpone a game against a friends newly painted Shaltari army due to sick child, but we might be able to throw down this coming weekend.

And if US customs can get their poo poo together, I've got a order of more UCM ships arriving soon I'm excited to paint up. I really enjoyed painting the 6 cruisers and 8 frigates and was suprisingly happy with how they came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Ugleb posted:

Did I cross post this? I probably forgot.

I have made an effort to build the last 4 unpainted Dropzone models so I can cross them off the bucket list. I have an inclination to try and demo to the locals so I need to round off my Resistance a bit.

All my Technicals are new TTC casts, so they come with resin riders and I DO NOT TRUST THEM. I've had a lot of breakage out of their resin infantry. So I'm grabbing old Hawk branded packs of the buses, and splitting the dudes up. Rockets to the technicals, Guns to the bus platforms. (And because only being able to focus 3 shots really hampers the effectiveness of the rockets, while the guns pew-pew all the same. )

Also, cat knocked one bus off and the puppy chewed it up (beyond the point of 'battle damaged', past 'terrain wreckage') so I've got 3 school buses and 2 coaches, wich is an awkward number given current Force Orgs.

I think I'm done fiddling with my Swifthawks, but I'll probably do a bit more weathering for the hell of it. There's a lot of work I have left for the Resistance.

My Scourge on the other hand are almost complete, barring the new stuff that just arrived yesterday. Slightly out of date pic below. But I'm keeping up with them vs the Res where I'm scrambling to make progress.

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 13, 2021

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Specifically Resistance Fighters and Berserkers in resin from TTC are a trap. Heavy losses from snapped ankles. The Vets and Sappers are bit sturdier sculpts I'm less concerned about, but went metal anyways because I could.

The technicals mostly worried me for their storage and handling. I'm probably being overly cautious.

A full Thunderstorm is also my goal. I've got 6 down, 6 more to go.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

That is a damned fine looking board. I'm still using the papercraft terrain set and a bunch of homemade (mostly finished) scatter terrain, because I lack permanent board space.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Some disappointing casting on my new UCM models. Ugly gates and visible mold misalignment, right smack dab on the top of the model, the most prominent visible spot possible. What's extra frustrating is these are the ONLY casting errors from all three blisters worth of components.

Santiagos are fine.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Wowshawk posted:

Get back to ttcombat, they've got great customer service.

Cross Atlantic shipping and customs is an absolute bitch right now. My last order took 3 months to arrive. Much as I'd like some pristine pieces, I really don't want to wait that long. Again.

Also, the problem isn't that the mold failed, it's that the mold was designed incompetently. Every cast is going to have that vent in the same place. The solution isn't a different piece, it's a better process.

Wowshawk posted:

is the stuff on this blog still more or less accurate? https://orbitalbombardmentgamers.blogspot.com/
Not really, no. The most up-to-date guides I know of are at http://thetacklezone.net/guides/?sort_by=name_a_z&game=688 And even then, they don't have the 2nd wave BCs or Lighters.

Torpedo changes means all those units that used to be garbage for carrying them are now at least average. Sorry dude, no good resource yet. Someone is going to have to play a bunch of games and write a new one.

I'm doing my part for DZC on my blog, but I don't have anywhere near enough game time with DFC yet.

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Oct 15, 2021

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Ugleb posted:

If I have followed along correctly, TTCombat have expanded their resin production quite substantially over the past couple of years. Part of that has been hiring and training new staff to run it. So I suspect the issue here is partly a lack of experience as staff are learning what works and what doesn't, and maybe partly translating metal sculpts to resin.

The problem TTC says they have is that their facility is just really cramped and their health and safety regulations are severely limiting the number of people they can have in their casting/cutting/etc rooms. Like a quarter of the people they used to have. They furloughed casting people because they couldn't get them in to work at the start of the pandemic, and a bunch of them never came back, so they've also got a skilled labor shortage on top of the ongoing limit on bodies. Very recently, they said they were replacing their casting equipment for higher volume and also fewer bodies and manual processes per machine.

I believe they're also expanding facilities as well. There's a lot of muddling between TTC and the parent company and its other subsidiaries, so that might be 'on-loan' as it were.

While they've had this massive shrinkage to production capacity, they've also steadily expanded their number of molds and models. So they're just stretched in every way.

Z the IVth posted:

I feel that "don't place gates in highly visible areas of detail" is a fairly elementary concept in resin casting though. It's right up there alongside "don't drink the polyurethane hardener.".

They also have a business ethos like a less competent Valve, where anyone can do anything, just grab some random employees and git'r'dun. So we quite literally have a dude that normally operates a MDF cutter he was trained on like a month ago being told to knock out some molds, just like watch this guy we trained last week and do what he did, got it? I've heard that from more than a few of their former employees that left on good terms for better jobs in less rear end-end-of-nowehere Cornwall.

Ugleb posted:

Has anyone handled any infantry designed by TTCombat? I don't know how durable the new Valkyrie are.

Friend of mine that plays PHR has some. He had 2 snapped off their exhaust plumes when they arrived. There's apparently one of them on the sprue that's a little too skinny at one point, but the others seem fine. They've held up to a couple games how.

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 18, 2021

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Ugleb posted:

I wonder if that new casting equipment is siocast? From what I've seen of it TTCombat are probably just the right size if company to really lean into it and they wouldn't need very experienced staff to run the machines.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was Siocast, but I'd sure be disappointed. TTC resin is already a step down from Hawk in material quality and mold competency (95% of the time. The less said about original UCM Bear APCs the better).

in better news, had a good game with a friend this weekend. It was his first, he brought Shaltari; a starter plus a bunch of ronin in place of all but one stand of Braves plus an Ocelot. I brought a mishmash assortment of Resistance.

Got my rear end kicked. Nu-Ronin are bonkers. 15pts for 2 E10 shots at 3+ and 12", but also armor 9 and 2DP, and oh yeah, it can use every gate on the board. They need to be 5-10 points more expensive, or lose a DP, or not have become infantry. Point for Point, they're better in every way than Braves.

Also his Kukri one-shotted half my infantry first activation of turn 2. The game only got worse for me from there on out.

We're talking about some local houserules at this point, because v2 non-simultaneous CQ is just deeply unsatisfying, and the Search rolls being tied to turn number is some gamey bullshit.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

https://community.ttcombat.com/2021/10/20/resin-overhaul-wip-wednesday/

I don't think they've gone Siocast. And they're moving towards more specialization of roles, which I'm all in favor of.

Meantime, got 2 UCM BC hulls mangetized and one of each of the 4 prows. Also a UCM BB, but I'm having alignment issues with it and I'm not happy yet. Also also, I know, gap filling, I'm getting to it.

Jesus gently caress are the santiago corvettes bendy.

Basically anything other than painting the half finished rocket technicals and bus on my pallet. Takes me like 2 months of procrastination to finish each squad of them.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

GreenMarine posted:

What's the trick to getting clean pin washes on (for example) the PHR plate seams and so forth? Or is there some other good way to get those to pop, but also not bleed into the panels.

I made a homebrew panel lining wash. 10 parts water, 10 parts matte medium, 1 part flow aid, a few drops of black acrylic ink. Then slop it on the model and work it into the seams, brushing it off the flat surfaces. Also, paint your model a bit brighter than you want it to look at the end. It's how I did my UCM ships.

I've got a bookmarked video of a guy doing PHR infantry with the same technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0Wxomjt8v8&t=298s

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

And here's the announcement of all the new light units we could tell were getting attention internally, explaining why so many unit changes over the last year have been for a light vehicle meta no one was playing.

https://community.ttcombat.com/2021/12/07/advent-calendar-07/

UCM buggies have a good silhouette to them. PHR skimmers are weird lookin, can't tell what that unit is supposed to do visually.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Ugleb posted:

Anyone want to play guess the RRP on these Armour Group sets?

£30

It's a hard sale on a shelf at £35 or higher when you can see how much more you get in a starter set than one of these expansion boxes. Scourge for instance Savager and Harbringer is £30 MSRP by themselves, but it's also got Corsairs (£10) and the new things which I'd guess if sold in a pack of 4 by themselves would be £10 as well.

The cost of the models is still mostly in design and labor, not materials, so it makes sense to sell more resin at less margin for just more currency flowing.

I wouldn't be surprised at £35. £40 would be a price at which you'd have to really want every model, a dismal prospect for any long time player.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

New stuff. 5 new standard chassis, one for each faction, each with two weapon options. And a new dropship for the UCM. PDF and builder updated with them.

https://community.ttcombat.com/2022/01/21/dropzone-commander-armour-battlegroup-releases/

I like the Vulture, but neither the sculpts nor stats for the polecat. The prospect of being able to carry more Wolverines or Longbows for cheaper is appealing, and it just has a nice profile, reminds me of the Alien dropship. More low-E weapons, is... who gives a poo poo, infantry never go to walls unless you're a noob or a paintchip aficionado.

Scourge skimtanks, I've got a group order with a friend for the battle box, it seems a good balance of stats for the Plasma Lance. I'm annoyed by the Photon blaster just slapping some scifi name on some rules, it doesn't feel coherent to me. And the profile of it is too minimal for me.

I'm not a fan of how little differentiation there is between the new PHR models, but I like both concepts. The way the Aurora's rules are written is horrible. I get what it's supposed to do, but I'm not sure I could have worded it more poorly if I was deliberately trying to be obtuse. Also, the rest of the PHR skimmers losing a point of evasion because this one needs to be dodgier feels unnecessary.

I really like the Arrowhead's rules and concept, but I like the shape of the Atlatl better. And I despise yet more Shaltari teleporting weapons, it doesn't feel clever, just annoying to play against. There's no good defense against it, no clever counter play. It's a 'Gotcha!' game mechanic, and those can gently caress right off into the land of beer'n'pretzels.

Not a fan of the Patton at all. It's a better weapon with better transport options than the Hannibal in a better slot for a little less armor. But also, it's an AFV that doesn't transport troops which feels wrong. I don't like how it fits into the Resistance army composition at all.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Re: Cutters

Shaltari have good silhouettes and that Remnant ship is aping the classic CR90 which still looks great. I wasn't a fan of the Havana due to the asymmetry versus the rest of the fleet, and I haven't changed my mind yet. PHR looks exactly like the corvette to me, except for the one with the thing sticking out of the bottom; the corvettes are pretty.

Hate the scourge models. They look like something I made out of sprue leftovers.

Rules wise, I don't like the Parasite's 'Energy Siphon'. Spikes don't represent only energy output, they're also a measure of activity and comms traffic and information density. It makes no kind of sense whatsoever that Active Scanning orders and Detectors could accidentally boost a ships power by listening too hard. How this rule made it through the whiteboard phase is baffling (its not actually baffling, they have no editor).

I'm tepidly hopeful they set aside 5 minutes to correct a bunch of accrued typos now that they're giving the rules and stats their biannual week of attention. And nerf the gently caress outta the Agrippa.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Warning fellow Dropzone players, TableWar.com is selling a DZC mat, but it's a bait and switch

I ordered this mat, 4x4 'Urban Zone' mat - https://tablewar.com/collections/fatmats/products/4x4urbanzone-10mm

It's supposed to look like this

or this

or this

But what they sent me was

While they did send me a full refund, they also argued with me that there was nothing wrong with the mat I received.

quote:

The mats look very different under different lighting. All I can tell you is that the mats in our warehouse are the color you received and the designer confirmed that they are correct. I do not have a mat to send you that matches the box label (which always prints out differently than the mats due to CMYK coloring and the way they print on mats vs. paper)

My guess is they have an entire print run that failed and just don't want to admit it for some reason.

Which means the ONLY dropzone mats out there are these from DeepCut - https://www.deepcutstudio.com/product-category/game-mats-for-games/compatible-with-dropzone-commander/

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Played a game over the weekend on the blue mat. https://yadzcb.friestman.net/battle-report-2022-02-19.html

I wanted to get some shots with the papercraft building set and a variety of models on it. Still hate it.

I ordered a Deep Cut mat which should arrive within the next two weeks, and then I can get some side-by-side pics and I'll write up a full scathing review as a blog post.

In the meantime, the Scourge battlebox arrived and it's a lot more compact than I thought it'd be. Everything was packed in bubble wrap bundles. Oppressor for scale.

The new Spectres are slightly less wide at the tips than a Hunter and just a bit shorter lengthwise. But overall skinnier.

The new Harbinger troop compartment is a giant hunk of resin. I think I can drill a hole in the middle to accommodate the widget in so it can magnet onto the bottom of a standard harb dropship. What's really irking me though is that it's not a stretch to believe a Screamer could contort itself inside, but the Spectres ain't going to fit unless they're flexible or something. It's about exactly wide as two of them side by side in the middle of the compartment but they're widest on the rear end end, the door in front can pass exactly one, and if you leave off the weapon you could stack 'em 2 high and 2 wide and maybe fit them in, but no way with the weapon. Maybe, maybe, if you had some in backwards and they like folded up somehow for storage. But it'd look like the classic 2 Hannibals sideways in a Kraken.

It feels like they just stopped caring about WYSIWYG transportation.

Also, the Corsair ion attachment looks like scaled down with some engines slapped on it'd make a fantastic DFC fighter model (stop loving around with behemoths TTC and just give me faction specific DFC launch packs already. Also factional DZC command cards.)

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Dave Brookshaw posted:

So, years after my group moved over to Dropfleet, I've got a couple of buddies interested in playing Dropzone, so I've been reading the new rules / statcards.

Am I right in thinking that some units are just... Missing? Like, I'm a PHR player, and Hyperions, Enyos, Dianas, Triton-Xs and probably more I'm not remembering aren't in either the stat cards or the army builder on the website.

EDIT: Which is especially odd as Dianas are the newest unit in the army.

It's TTC, so you need to know the stat cards linked from the builder site are the wrong version and don't have any of the latest releases in them. For those, you need the links from their store site. You missed The Great Renaming last year where they renamed some things for no good reason. PHR and Resistance got hit the hardest by it.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

zerofiend posted:

Wait, really?

Does this apply to Fleet as well? I notice that they don't have full stat sheets for the factions in Resources for them.

Really.

https://dropzonecommander.com/resources links to the UCM stat cards https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0965/1274/files/UCM_Stat_Cards_962c8872-b737-4ffa-97c3-9c623f4b5da5.pdf?v=1628846583 which don't have the Polecat.

Over at the storefront, https://ttcombat.com/pages/dropzone-commander-resources links to the UCM stat cards https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0965/1274/files/UCM_Stat_Cards_4b7b6b31-3c76-4646-865e-83e2f521c21c.pdf?v=1645630499 which DO have the Polecat.

Meanwhile in space, the storefront resource page has the rules and some sheets for newer ships but nothing like the cards for DZC, and the builder is sporting some dead easy to fix but significant typos that have been there for years now in some cases.

* Admiral values are incorrect for Heavy ships. See: https://www.reddit.com/r/DropfleetCommander/comments/q8rtzo/for_anyone_else_baffled_by_admiral_points_recently/
* Lysander doesn't have its 'Stealth Observation' rule in the builder at all.
* Shaltari Bombers are 15" Thrust and Fighters are +4 PD in the current digital rulebook, but the builder has them respectively at 12" Thrust and +5PD. I honestly can't tell which are supposed to be correct.
* Istanbul is supposed to be Thrust 4" instead of 6"

This is all par for the course for TTC. Just a baseline of incompetence and neglect.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Oh, I see the weapon options now. And an Aether is now just a Helios with an alt weapon, too.

Thanks, everyone!

The best one is the Resistance helicopters. The Typhoon got renamed to a Cyclone, and a Cyclone is now a Cyclone with Missiles.

All because some graphic designer got their panties in a wad over the layout of the builder looking too cluttered.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Ugleb posted:

It feels a bit like Dave is responsible for and does a list of jobs remotely, then 'somebody' is meant to pick it up and do these other steps at TT HQ. Only that 'somebody' is probably an ever changing group of people who all have other jobs.

They've stated it plain that Dave is working remotely, and all he does is CAD and blurbs for new models. All the game design is primarily Lewis Clarke, but he's also the lead on every single game. Other people suggest ideas, but he's the final arbiter.

Ugleb posted:

Carnevale seems more consistent and I suspect that is because the boss man Lewis is keeping a closer eye on it. And so the staff reporting to him probably are as well.

Lewis did a few interviews last year, and you could hear his voice and demeanor change between DZC and Carnevale. He loves Carnevale and Rumbleslam he gets excited about them and wants to dive into details and process, they're his bio-kids. DZC/DFC are his step kids. In particular, he talked about the big database he meticulously maintains for Carnevale units. Meanwhile, DZC gets a couple typos fixed every lunar year.

Ugleb posted:

And from the way the army builders keep going down they seem to have an IT infrastructure issue. That needs fixing, you can't tell everyone that all the stats are online and keep having outages.

They lost their web guy just before the big unit stat change and renaming last year, and since then they've gone through a series of essentially web-interns. They can make a pretty UI, but they struggle with basic stuff like databases, dev environments, server maintenance and the like.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

The Deleter posted:

Speaking of PHR, I'm thinking of dipping my toes into Dropfleet by grabbing the PHR fleet starter. Anybody know any next steps after that? I'm not super keen on dropping ~£100 on a bunch of plastic all in one go, so any methods for slow building things would be appreciated.

A second starter.

PHR strengths are in their core cruisers and frigates.

Corvettes are mandatory for just about everyone except PHR; either bring light calibre high shot count cruisers, or Echo corvettes, or Jason destroyers, one of the three options for hunting strike carriers once they get into atmo.

The Pollux monitor has great synergy with your bomber carriers like the Bellerephon heavy cruiser or Priam battlecruiser.

So any of those three packs is a good place to expand, if you don't just get a second starter.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

The Deleter posted:

Alright. Would you just build the stuff in Starter 1 as the stuff on the box or is there a better/more beginner friendly configuration to be made? I'm probably not gonna mess with magnetising things too much since I don't have the patience.

2 Medea, basically mandatory ships

Ether 2 Calypso or 2 Europa. You'll eventually want at least 2 Calypso, but you don't have to start out with them.

1 Orpheus, you'll need a bulk lander of some kind, and it's easily one of the best in the game.

1 Bellerephon, to cover launch and burnthrough and because it's one of the most well designed ships in the entire game

Last cruiser either an Orion, Ajax or Theseus for the generalist role.

The box and insert have you building a Hector, which is a terrible ship you should not build, and an Ikarus which is fine but. But the Bellerephon is better at each of those ships roles than either.

The best most up to date PHR ship guide I know of is http://thetacklezone.net/guides/phr-ship-overview/. Its only slightly out of date, missing the newest battlecruisers (Agrippa & Pompeius), the lighter (Harpocrates), and the brand new cutters (Pegasus & Ourania)

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Final followup on the Table War blue mat. Two weeks ago, I found an eBay auction for one of the mats, and the guy selling it's pics looked normal, and it was going for $30 all told, so I bought it.

It arrived last night.

Lo and be-loving-hold, IT'S NOT MY LIGHTING. Table war can eat all my dicks.

In theory, the Deep Cut mat I ordered before finding the eBay TW one should arrive eventually. It shipped from Vilnius Lithuania, which is about half an hour from Belarus, so I'm not begrudging them the two weeks it took to get it shipped out. It's slowly crawled across Germany through Cologne, and has been catching its breath near Amsterdam all weekend. I'll be delighted to see it before April.

I'll do a side-by-side of all of them and write up a blog post DZC Mat Review once I have all of them.

Now, I need to finish writing my diatribe I'll be sending TW attached to that picture.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

moths posted:

Did you try emailing that photo to Tablewar? I'd be very curious to see their response.

I did. Got most a response back.

quote:

"That is a dramatic difference. I will send the picture on to both the designer and the factory to see what changed. I am glad you found what you were looking for and apologize for the trouble ordering directly with us."

I'd be surprised to hear further.

My Deep Cut mat should arrive tomorrow, fingers crossed.

Cynic Jester posted:

Goonhammer ... sent a freebie 2 player set

TT finally promoting the game is fantastic to see. I saw the initial game overview post, but an actual Bat-Rep is up, huzzah! https://www.goonhammer.com/bored-space-yacht-club-dropfleet-commander-starter-set-review/

On the flipside, motherfuckers stole my Scourge color scheme.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Best battle report for Dropfleet I've seen in forever just went up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWfdq7Bpwck

I recognize the Remnants ships from DakkaDakka, where there's a whole gallery of them

https://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/images-2438-65204_Dropfleet%20Resistance.html

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Shaltari station looks a bit too much like a plant stand. Maybe it'll look better painted up. The PHR one needs that classic inner ring Bentusi glow effect.

Have they said if these are compatible with the generic station kit in any way? because if they're just mono-pose resin kits I'm going to be deeply unimpressed.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Tulip posted:

Is there a TTS discord or group for DFC? I'd like to give it a shot sometime but I'm pretty averse to in person stuff.

https://discord.gg/Yb7eYDEhKq
https://discord.gg/CG4R7gEe

One of those probably works. I'm still banned for arguing with the owner of TT, so I can't check. (and Louis is still an unfunny rear end in a top hat and a liar)

The discord is the best place to discuss the game I ever found. There's a mostly dormant thread on dakka, an slightly more active subreddit, a few blogs scattered about... and there's an FB group but it's a hugbox that liberally deletes anything too negative about the game and the admins are an insular gaggle of fuckers and TT employees, or both!

Other than those places, I haven't seen hide nor hair of the game being discussed online in recent years.

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 29, 2022

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Sojenus posted:

They might have changed what weapons the behemoths will have, that Scourge gun with the pustule things looks like the bio-artillery on one of the crabs but the book mentions either a giant plasma gun or an electric weapon. Unless those blobs are just generic Scourge decorative effects now.

I'm betting new weapons. It's been sooooooo long, they had ample time to tinker with the renders.

From the beta rules 'leak', the Scourge Behemoth had Energy Cyclone Projector + Heavy Plasma Cannons or Arc Maw + Arc Lances on the top half of the model, and Seeker Lashes/Surging Lashes on the bottom.

First pic is almost certainly the Arc Lances. But I'm not seeing any of the other weapons in that last picture. Plus, TTC loves to 'tease' stuff like that.

I'm excited for them to get Behemoths out of their system so they can move on to cool stuff like factional command cards or DFC factional launch assets that won't ruin the game. And I'll eat my hat if Behemoths aren't a broken mess. The Harpocrates, Parasite, Arrowhead, Patton and Flail should be ample evidence they have no real clue how to design for these game, and aren't testing poo poo at all.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

PHR behemoth stats are mostly out - https://community.ttcombat.com/2022/04/21/the-chronus-walks-forth/

It doesn't look all that different from the beta unit that leaked.

Which is a really bad sign. The playtesters from back when TTC had them said they were horribly unbalancing to the game, unfun to play with, and just generally did not work in Dropzone.

Well poo poo.

Also, guess TTC were lying when they said, back when the beta stats leaked, that the release stats would be substantially different.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Grey Hunter posted:

I've always been viewing them as collectors prices. It's like titans in 40k, impressive models, but in no way practiable.

Which is an approach I'd be fine with. Or tie them to scenarios, 'Sink the Bismark'. But from all sources, TT has been adamantly intent on cramming them into the regular game, no matter how much it distorts the rest of the units. The playtest group said the only workable solution they found was to do something like 40k Apocalypse, where you scale formations up and make it a separate game mode.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Kingsly Distribution has the prices up already.

£95 MSRP

That's not a price that entices people into a game. These things are solidly for the whales.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

wdarkk posted:

That's about twice most Dreadnoughts, which I always considered a pretty decent value for an army centerpiece.
I really want to see one next to a dread, because they seem like they're quite a bit bigger than them. I was really expecting only slightly more than the Resistance dread, so like £70-75.

£95 is the price of a starter, armor expansion box, and at least two more blisters of units.

I'm not going to say I expected better of them, because I don't at this point, but I'm still rather disappointed.

For once, they're claiming they actually playtested these units (I refuse to believe they ever actually tried to use a Flail in a real game) so this represents the height of their abilities as game designers. 90% chance of DZC game this weekend, and we're definitely proxying one or more of these bastards, because there's novelty in marveling at a dumpster fire before walking away.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Scourge stuff is up - https://community.ttcombat.com/2022/04/22/scourge-behemoth-sighted/

I hate Focus. It's pointless extraneous dice rolling and doesn't make sense within the context of all the weapons in the game that fire more than one round but have a high Energy value. You know what outcome you want when you pick a target, figuring out the optimal energy to shots ratio is some boring probability work.

But this is from the guy who unironically redesigned the Napoleon to roll more dice because that would make it more fun.

A 13 seems like a mistake. The armor drop, despite Resilient, on my big crabs has seen them dying much earlier in games. This thing is going to get worked like a speed bag. Hell, I've had a group of 6 Ronin kill an undamaged Oppressor in one volley on turn 2 TWICE in the last 4 months.

And as little as I respect TTC's design team, I never actually expected them to not give something like the Crocodile Dev-X(Behemoths) but after reading that article... whoo boy. Fingers crossed it's just Lewis forgetting how to play his own game or something.

They can't be that incompetent, can they?

Can they?

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Ugleb posted:

On focus, last time I played I had a Hades and a Nemesis alpha striked off the table on consecutive turns by a squad of scourge gunships. It was kinda broken.

3 out of the last 4 games we've played, a Frostdrake has one-shot a Hades on turn 2. In one game, it got a Hades AND a nemesis by turn 3.

Really the Type-4s have, and the Scourge big crab walkers, have largely failed to impress. Especially the Type-4s because of the cost of transportation plus there's no longer a Heavies only BG, so they have this standard unit tax attached.

All the Force Org changes since launch have been bad ones.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

We had a game scheduled for the weekend before TTC even started hyping Behemoths, so we made a last minute force tweak and tried one out in a game.

https://yadzcb.friestman.net/behemoths-released.html

Lotta words and pics.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Sojenus posted:

Seems like the drop harness damage set off the rapid downward cascade for it, wonder how it would have played out if it walked on or dropped onto less units instead?
The harness is super swingy. It attacks squads, but the more poorly it rolls the more damage it takes. It's actually less effective vs trash squads of small vehicles. I can't figure out what exactly is supposed to be going on while you're using that rule that both dealing and taking damage should be happening. But it's also moot because we'll certainly never use that method again.

We'd maybe try one more proxy of another faction's, just to compare. Eh, we're more concerned with fixing the core rules to work better with the units we actually have and play with.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Only related, but TTC have got themselves into a good ol' fashion internet slap fight. Easy reading links here -> https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3849301&pagenumber=866

I seriously wonder if all the angry ex-Hawk employees went through something similar when TTC bought them out. It would explain a lot.

I'm still giggling over:

Justin, owner Secret Weapon Games posted:

Mr. Simpson [owner of TTC] opens his public statement by saying that he has not read the statements that he is responding to. That’s a weird flex, but I guess it was too difficult for him to read, so away we go…

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Ugleb posted:

There's a huge amount of he said she said in this. I suspect both sides have made mistakes but some things line up.
They're both small businesses, this is sadly pretty normal B2B wheeling and dealing. There's almost certainly fault on both sides.
TTC coming out with a personal insult in their response, which they published on their website, was some seriously amateur hour poo poo.

Ugleb posted:

I've had very little interaction with their staff to get a read on them.
The regular staff I've talked to have all been fine (their former web de Chris was a cool dude, their US rep is chill and helpful), but their managers have all been huge assholes. Smarmy duplicitous assholes.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

quote:

The Troll Trader stream is having a special guest tomorrow. The Creator of the Drop-Universe, Dave Lewis will be painting up a tank from the Space Halfling Kickstarter and answering your questions.
8:30AM until finished.
https://www.twitch.tv/trolltrader
Time to politely word all my many Dropzone questions and see how long it takes to get kicked from the stream.

Rough list:
What's the internal meta like? Quick Battle Report of the last game you played or saw played at TTC?
How are y'all using Polecat Buggies, I can't tell what niche they're supposed to fill?
I can't figure out how to use the Flail effectively, what am I doing wrong?
When will PHR get mixed walker squads back?
Why does the Circe skimmer not get the Devastator bonus against walkers?
How does the Constantine tank work, narratively? What's it doing with the orange shield thing on the turret?
Why do Bomb Buses have to pause an entire turn to blow up, and why can't they damage buildings?
Do Ronin have Resilient or not, we can't tell because the builder and cards say different things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Dave, gushing behind the studio Shaltari Behemoth. (Which came out BTW)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOeEF6ev7hk

I hope between this video, the twitch stream, and the PHR PDF, we're at the dawn of the third era of Dropzone with Dave back championing the game.