Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
So having been to Salute (and buying my son a UCM starter) I have to say I'm super excited about Dropfleet Commander especially as it is not at all what I was expecting.

What we know: not a deep space fleet game. It's orbital combat.
Battlefield will be a country/continent miles below the combat, with cities a few inches across.
Lots of emphasis on electronic and sensor warfare- stealth/silent running, jammers etc, but all built seamlessly into stats/ mechanics. Much like DZC and counter measures
Fleets will all have very different feel to each other.
Emphasis on objectives based play. All about getting drop ships and orbital bombardments into position.
Played on 4x4 board
8-12 big ships a side.
Done in 2 hrs for tournament ease.
Will link with DZC in terms of campaign play etc
Models looks amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

signalnoise posted:

What do you guys use for storage? These are some really wonky shapes compared to the standard infantry models I'm used to

KR do specific faction foams/cases. They are really good

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The pledge levels are poo poo. It's made our gaming groups buy in not as easy as I hoped. Oh well in at Captain and will have to buy a load of bolt ons

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

You can. Get the Lt level. Buy bolt ons.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Latest update has shown the bases, and they come with stickers with ship names on. That clears that issue that some whiners were moaning about

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

I've got my son hooked. He's 9 and we spent the weekend building and painting his UCM starter and then he beat me 3-2 in the introduction game!

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Painted my first Shaltari models in about 2 years. Lovely models apart from the Ocelot's slightly droopy gun!

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Ok need some army advice. I bought in on day 1 player a couple of times and barely touched it since. Aiming to rectify that now.

I've got the Shaltari starter, a Gaia, 4 extra bases of troops, jaguar, ocelot, Coyote, 2 spirit gates and 2 Tarantulas. What could I add to get a reasonable 1500 points ?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Cheers guys that's very useful. I'm way behind the curve on what's good and current

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

How does this look? (Realised I owned 2 Jaguars). Anything obviously bad or dumb standing out?

Clash: 1487/1500 points
Standard Army
Standard Roster [1487/1500 pts]
Gate Group [276 pts]
Eden Gates: 3x Eden [150 pts]
Spirit Gates: 2x Spirit [86 pts]
Haven: Haven [20 pts]
Haven: Haven [20 pts]
Court of Elders [277 pts]
Coyote: Coyote(Warchief) [205 pts]
Yari Squad: 3x Yari, Yari(+Light Ion Cannon) [72 pts]
Swordpoint [224 pts]
Tomahawk Squad: 3x Tomahawk [114 pts]
Tarantula Squad: 2x Tarantula [110 pts]
Warrior Clan [140 pts]
Braves: 2x Braves [70 pts]
Warrior Clan [70 pts]
Warfist [270 pts]
Jaguar Squad: 2x Jaguar [220 pts]
Totem: Totem [50 pts]
Warfist [230 pts]
Ocelot Squad: Ocelot [95 pts]
Kukri Squad: 3x Kukri [135 pts]

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Incy posted:

Using that, I would split up the jaguars (either move the kukris to the 2nd warrior clan and put the second jaguar with the ocelot, or put it with your commander) otherwise you have to keep them within 3" of each other.

As for things to think about, three squads of troops isn't really enough for an invasion tournament list, but could work for some scenarios. Also you are hovering on the lower bounds of AA (there are a fair few tough flyers around now, like a6 lifthawks and the phoenix with its infinite damage points), so be careful with how you use your kukris.

I wondered about the troops and if I was not bringing enough. 4 squads enough? I'm assuming the new walker AA is worth taking? I love the walker designs so need no excuse to buy more

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Ok I've bought a totem, a panther , and Yuris

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

My lieutenant pledge was attempted to be delivered today. No email just a missed parcel card in my letterbox.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

lots of loot. Sadly the stickers are all missing. Hopefully they will send replacements soon. Not had a chance to read the rules.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Can someone go over some of the crossover campaign stuff, who has the rulebook? Is there enough for an actual campaign or is it pretty generic?

There appears to be a lot of stuff for integrated campaigns. 4 pages of rules and ideas how to do it.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Safety Factor posted:

As in they didn't get all of the contents or literally did not get the actual box?

The loving box.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Mind you all whining aside Ive just rechecked my package and realised there's an entire starter fleet missing. A little annoyed

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Yeah from my brief rule book reading ( I play Shaltari) they use gates to deploy troops as opposed to bulk landers as the. Other factions do. They have special rules around having a shields up order that gives them improved saves at the expense of lighting themselves up like Xmas trees in terms of scanning. They seem cool

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

wdarkk posted:

Kickstarter comments are so angry. There was a period where it was ok but this week has totally broken them.

I'm a little miffed to be honest. My book cover was damaged in one corner and I thought little of it assuming it must have taken a knock in transit to me (although the package Itself wasn't damaged). I look on FB and there's a number of other backers with the exact same damage on their books too. Clearly Hawk received from the printers in this state and they still sent them out. Not a massive issue but along with no ship base stickers and a whole starter fleet missing I'm not overly impressed. I don't think that's unreasonable whining to be fair.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

ijyt posted:

I just forget about everything I kickstart and it's like a present from my past self when a parcel arrives. At the end of the day it's a small team getting a couple thousand parcels out.

Agreed. It's a free wargaming gift.
I'm disappointed into package errors but I'm not going to be all over FB slagging Hawk. I'm sure it will be sorted in time

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

There's a lot of variety and that feels challenging right now having never played the game, only having skin read the rules and having a burning desire to build and paint. I think without stating the obvious that some form of strike carrier/ troop ship is vital and probably in significant numbers. Although as a Shaltari player it's tricky trying to work out how many motherships I need to build.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Ugleb posted:

A few people seem to be swearing blind that one is not enough, but it's really hard to say at this point as most people don't have any stuff yet.

I think I'll be holding back a bit on assembling all my stuff as I don't want to double up on something I may not actually need.

I've got 10 cruiser sprues once I've swapped my extra freebie bits with my mates. So far I've made a Obsidian Heavy Cruiser, a mothership, a fleet carrier and I think the Amethyst cruiser. I'm going to hold off and try and get a game or two inch before committing to any more building.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Shaltari are a piece of piss to paint. Will use same technique as I did on my Dropzone models. Airbrush, wash, dry brush and detail. Did my entire DZC force in half a day.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

I've not had any replies to my email about mispacked Kickstarter. I guess I'm going to have to wait till everyone has had their packages shipped.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Pash posted:

If beasts of war is anything to go by it sounds like non-bombardment weapons hit on a 6+.

Yeah its a 6+ for normal weapons targetting ground sectors. Bombardment over comes that penalty. Its good.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

LordAba posted:

Dos anyone know if the "Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure" rule is still in?

It's in.

Hawk emailed me yesterday saying they would ship out all my missing Kickstarter bits.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

My first Shaltari DFC cruisers done. Quick and easy but I'm happy with them

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Flipswitch posted:

They look great mate!

http://dflist.com/

Fleet builder!

Thats a cool builder. No way to print it yet though?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

wdarkk posted:

Yeah, they're pretty nifty. What's the light blue for the main body?

Vallejo game colour Hawk Turquoise washed with nuln oil, then dry brushed a few times up to 50/50 Turquoise and P3 Frostbite.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Why would you pledge for a level you didn't want with the intention of changing it later? Seems an odd thing to do.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Yeah you really want to be using plastic glue with these kits. They go together fantastically well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Playing my first 1000 point game tonight. Managed to play a couple of starter fleet games.

Here's my list, no idea if it's any good, just want to get new toys on the table.

--------------------------------------
Shal 1000 - 1000pts
Shaltari - 4 launch assets

SR12 Vanguard battlegroup (255pts)
1 x Jet - 165pts - H
2 x Jade - 90pts - L

SR11 Vanguard battlegroup (240pts)
1 x Adamant - 200pts - H
1 x Opal - 40pts - L

SR7 Line battlegroup (200pts)
1 x Amber - 110pts - M
2 x Topaz - 90pts - L

SR7 Line battlegroup (130pts)
1 x Emerald - 100pts - M
2 x Voidgate - 30pts - L

SR7 Pathfinder battlegroup (175pts)
2 x Voidgate - 30pts - L
1 x Basalt - 145pts - M
http://dflist.com/s/#/share/2740aba19f5f

My plan was to try and engineer an early alpha strike with my Adamant going weapons free, maybe even turn 1, and using the Opal to shield boost it to try and protect it from the inevitable response. I'm guessing that could work.