Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Another related thing to remember is that if you manage to hit infantry on the walls with a template weapon they take 2d6 hits. At least around here people don't seem to be very aware of that and i've had several opponents be pretty surprised by a longbow shell going into a window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I stumbled across an interview with Dave Lewis on a german miniatures site, it has a lot of stuff you probably heard already but also some new stuff about the ground aspect of dropfleet. There's a short german preamble but the interview itself is in english. http://www.magabotato.de/podcast/item/interview-2

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

signalnoise posted:

If I understand correctly, DZC plays at 1500 points on a 4x4 table. Confirm/deny? Also can someone tell me how big 1500 points is relative to a starter box?

Yes, the standard game size is 1500 on a 4x4. The starter boxes hover round 550 points. A quick way to get to around 1500 is two starter boxes and a commander although you might want more specialized units instead of the second starter for more variety.

Edit:
If you like you can fiddle around with the fan made army builder here http://www.dzc-ffor.com/
It's also a good idea to be familiar with the Battlegroup/Slot system before placing a big order so you don't get a bunch of stuff you don't have the slots for.

Bistromatic fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 12, 2015

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
There's supposed to be painted shaltari photos later this week, maybe those will do more for you. I always find that Hawks stuff looks much better in photos than in renders and much better in person than in photos. Maybe it's just me but the difference seems to be larger than for other companies.

And i found that dropzone is comparatively easy to get into, the scale and number models keep painting time and cost pretty reasonable in my opinion. I have no idea idea why it's billed as a mass battle system actually, it feels "one step above skirmish" to me with maybe twenty to forty minis per side depending on list and faction.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Loxbourne posted:

Was he the guy who had his Ferrum converted to have a big set of fan engines? I wondered if he was proxying the UCM command gunship.

Yep, that's Mike

Maybe i'll be able to make it to autumn invasion this year, plane tickets from germany aren't that expensive...

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Shaltari photos are out in the latest Update:

Also bonus glowy praetorians i finished yesterday :v:

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
gold leaf

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Ugleb already covered most of it, starting at 1000 you need a commander after that it mostly comes down to how things fit into the battlegroup slots and balancing the different roles.

Wolverines are handy, they provide some light AA and because they're scouts they can serve as spotters for the kodiak/longbows and open up Expeditionary Corps BGs.

As for scale, here's the 1500 army deal as an example:

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
The interceptors become available at 1000 points, artillery and gunships are available at any level as long as you have the support slots.

You'll also want some command cards once you start playing with commanders.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Loxbourne posted:

How are people finding the UCM Gladius?
No idea to be honest, i'm mainly holding off on purchasing them because they're going to be combined into one blister with the scimitars so i'd rather magnetise the turrets.

signalnoise posted:

So would I be missing out by just running the starter packs at like 500 points?

I should rephrase: How many points is best for the combination of learning the game and enticing me and my friends to play it more often?

You could add a commander and possibly something small so you get to try out more specialized units as well as command cards, should put you around 800 points.

For a little con earlier this year we had the following lists:
UCM
Scourge

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
If you're serious about masking and stenciling you could look into a silhouette cutter. You might be able to find a used one or older model for a reasonable price.

And yeah, the cards seem useful but they feel like something that should be in the starter set.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
UCMF Metric Conversion. It was accidentally built twice as big. including all interior equipment. people are standing on comically large chairs mashing oversized buttons on consoles they can barely reach across :v:

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
If you look at the engine section I think we're looking at it slightly from above and slightly from the front. The light cruiser was way worse for me, I actually couldn't stand looking at that one for long.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
As a UCM player I think it's gonna feel great to corner shaltari so they're screwed no matter whether they choose shields or point defense :v:

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I was always under the impression that the acrylic tokens and faction dice are kickstarter exclusive but they aren't clearly marked as such and i guess they might not be? I could reduce the lump sum a bit in that case and there's one more Q&A coming up iirc.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
The way I understand it it's Strike Carriers and Motherships for ground troops and Fleet Carriers for wangs. For Fleet Carriers im pretty sure we've only seem UCM and scourge that both have their hangars near their engine sections.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Here i was just hoping we'd get to the 500K for the free frigates :v:

And i suspect there's lots of people splitting larger pledges, i'm doing that with a couple of friends.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Shouldn't be, just wash them as normal before priming and it'll get rid of any traces of skin oils.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Shouldn't be a problem at all. Just put a drop of superglue on a piece of plastic or whatever else you have handy and use a thin wire to transfer tiny bits. It should have a low enough viscosity to run into the gap and under the tiny rack thing. If there's any doubt, be a bit more generous on the underside where you won't be able to see it later.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I definitely want to go to Invasion some time, especially after the hawk guys at the fair in Essen liked my army enough to tell me i should show up. Won't be this one though.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
It's the same for the Legionaire rocket launchers so if it's for interaction with something upcoming it must have been in the works a long time.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I've liked the idea of a direct fire longbow for a while now. I'm wondering what kind of abilities the Crossbow has since this theodel definitely looks like a narrow fire arc and even with infinite range it's going to the really hard to line anything up without a last/first doubletap.

So it basically needs something that let's it fire outside the normal rules.
I could see it getting some sort of reaction fire equivalent so it could overwatch a narrow corridor.
The only other thing i can think of is lightninf reflexes or whatever the ability that lets you fire after unloading is called but that doesn't feel like a good fit thematically to me.

And good to know that when i get around to scratchbuilding falcon gunpods for my ravens i can knock out some missile pods in the same go :v:

Edit: I do like those PHR LazyAngel but i can definitely see how it could be a bit of a pain with cleanups. On the other hand it encourages you to learn and stay within the lines :v:

Bistromatic fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 30, 2016

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I'm most interested in when the repackaged dual option blisters are going to hit. I've actually been holding off purchases because i want multiple options to magnetise instead of the current single ones.

Apart from that of course the new UCM units, especially the Crossbow and the new Seraphim. Will the Crossbow have any special firing rules like i speculated? What's the retaliators deal?

And if you want to talk about more general game design stuff i've been wondering forever why they chose the damage table instead of comparing Energy + d6 to Armor and if it's higher you do damage. Up the current armor ratings by four and you get the exact same outcomes while feeling much more intuitive IMO.

Oh, and any current plans to make APCs more attractive?

If you're really running out of stuff: Are they considering any changes to Fast Movers or FACs? Or are they happy with where they are now?

Bistromatic fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jan 31, 2016

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
if you can ignore some german text, almost everything is reposted here http://www.brueckenkopf-online.com/?p=162150

only thing i don't see in there is this photo of renders

that said, i think it's idiotic that the group is closed. It feels like it's solely a ploy to get people to join instead of just looking. What in there needs to be kept secret from outsiders?

Edit: did some quick measuring of the pdf templates and assuming a narrow fire arc on the Crossbow it should have a 4" wide arc at 24" range.

Bistromatic fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 1, 2016

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I'm done with a Star Wars Armada side project so it's back to endlessly hemming and hawing over the exact shape of my raven tails :v:
(the vertical stabilizers are placeholders with no detail)

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I'm pretty excited for this and i'm not even going :v: Thanks for being our informant, krushgroove!

the one thing i was unenthused about in the BoW videos were the d6+x close action dice, pure gut feeling without any actual playing experience but it comes off as too much variance to me. Otherwise the rules seemed very solid at that stage and i can't wait to get all the stuff into my hands.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Flipswitch posted:

Bloody hell, how long does it take for the Hawk guys to confirm accounts on their forum? Mines been waiting for approval for like a month and I wanted to post some club related stuff on it.

E: Also how much do people use Wolverines? I think they're baller as hell model wise.

I had to email them too to get my account activated.

I use a group of four As in most games, they're pretty speedy and make a nice deterrent in my experience since people don't want to risk light dropships taking fire and against ground units they carry the threat of a kodiak strike. But then both me and the people i play against don't have all that much experience yet so don't take it as gospel.

Also crosspost from the painting thread:

Bistromatic posted:

Got back to working on dropzone stuff after that armada sidetrack.

Previously i had tried to attach tails to my light dropships on top of the existing models but that never looked quite right. So today i made a little jig to accurately position them on the cnc mill and carved out a little pocket.

As a result the latest revision fits much better with the existing lines and i'm almost satisfied enough to do a little 12 piece run.

The only things i want to change as of now are stronger bevels and a different lower panel line on the vertical stabilizers. I'm thinking of putting it parallel to the bottom edge. If anyone can think of anything else i'd be happy about suggestions.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I'd love to know more about UCM frigates.

Is there anything that stands out for how squadrons work?

Are there any details you could share about the roles? The one with the guns seems obvious.
For the mussile one how do close action attacks currently work and can they combine fire?
The one with the domes was supposed to add spikes to enemies last i heard, is that still true?
And is there anything noteworthy about the PD one aside from presumably adding to nearby ships PD?

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Thanks for the answers! All the questions were meant in the scope of UCM frigates but i guess that didnt come across clearly and i do appreciate the general reaponse too.

Edit: Also many thanks for the fuckton of photos.

Bistromatic fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 6, 2016

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I think in one of the BoW videos they said dreads would be the same length but bulkier than battleships.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
When the time for the pledge manager came i forgot about the free cruise liner and only saw the extra i ordered for a friend so i added another. So i'll have two as well i guess :v:

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Based on what weve seen from the ucm so far i'm exepcting to do the hull type (light/medium/heavy/carrier) fixed and make the weapons swappable.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Had my first 1500 game last night, also including the first time i used hazard suits and my eagle.

The game started out amazing with both of my archangels coming out of reserve on turn one and exploding a fully loaded despoiler in turn 2. Afterwards things went south though, i lost most of my hazard suits to razorbirds and i couldnt stop eviscerators in time to carve up my praetorians. Even with the main tank force gone all my AT took way too long to kill the enemy crab and i think the kodiak got a single strike on the table with all other rolls being 1s.

In the end i lost by objective points but i still had a great time. I definitely want to give the hazards and the eagle another go to see if i can get more use out of them.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Barely :v:

I put them in a large objective building on my side together with some legionaires. I hoped to be flexible between shooting and helping to search but a razorbirds command card killed four out of six before they could do anything and with just two shots left i opted to use them for searching the rest of the game.

That said, in retrospect does razorbirds hit squads or bases and is it global? Neither of us was super firm on all the command cards and i didnt look at it.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I've talked to Sean and James and i think i got a demo game from Dave way back when they were starting out. Every interaction with Hawk has been pleasant on a personal level though it is difficult to get ahold of them via email.

I also tweaked my Vanadian Advance Legion logo a bit and couldn't resist making some activation markers with the new version:

I'm also currently working on status counters, so far i have Reaction Fire and Articulated and an idea for Concussive Barrage. That's about all i can think of for UCM at the moment since i want to try and make some smoke could out of insulation foam instead of tokens.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

koreban posted:

UCM Praetorian Snipers gaining the Infiltrate (18) rule.

Do tell. I assume they can deploy 18" in? Are there any other shenanigans you're allowed to spill?

And thanks for all the ship pics, i always think "normal" pictures bring across better than the super professional studio just what nice miniatures they are.

Can't wait to get my hands on them and stuff as many magnets as possible into them.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Thanks! Are they allowed to bring a transport too or do they have to walk if they want to go anywhere else? Can't even play a Call For Extraction on them if they didn't have a transport originally.

Also it would be neat to put a landed Raven on the roof and throw a tiny camo net over it :v:

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Looking at the UCM card, should the Atlantis Class have launch capacity or is that only for the Atlantis, the namesake ship of the class or whatever you'd call it?

Edit: I guess that's indeed the case since the Avalon Class has the same rear turrets and other cruiser but the exclusive Avalon has double turrets there.

Bistromatic fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 22, 2016

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Since i'm not an admiral i can only partially figure out the cards but they're still really interesting.

Possible card errata from what i can figure out:
New Orleans should be a Strike Carrier not a Strike Cruiser unless something weird is going on with the classification.
If the Atlantis was indeed missing its hangars, how about the Avalon? I'd expect it's mass drivers to have Attk 4 since the model has double turrets there.
The Seattle and the Avalon are the only ones that deviate from the standard 8" thrust of the medium/heavy cruisers though i have no idea if that's intentional.

How has the beta test been so far? How responsive is hawk? What's your impression of the development process? And how are the other admirals?

It's also very tempting to ask about corvettes but i know you shouldn't spill too much stuff :v:

Also i sprayed two of my aftermarket spoilers in basic camo pattern so i could attach them to my two half painted raven before i continue. I'm really pleased with how well they fit in and my longbows will be riding in style on thursday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
1) Nominate a target.

2) Does your target have Active Countermeasures?
If yes: Check if your target is within your R(C) range. (Applies to most vehicles and aircraft)
If no: Check if your target is within your R(F) range. (Applies to buildings, most infantry and Resistance improvised stuff)

3) If your target is not in range, nominate a different one. If your target is in range, roll to hit.

4) Assuming you hit, check if your target has Passive Countermeasures.
If it does, the controlling player makes a saving throw. If he passes the saving throw the attack is over and you do no damage.

5) If your target has no Passive Countermeasures or failed its saving throw, roll for damage.

Also this reminds me that i'd really thankful if any admirals could tell Hawk to keep rules and fluff strictly separate. It's one of the things that really bothers me in the DZC books. Don't put fluff and rules in the same paragraph, let alone the same sentence. If you feel compelled to give a fluff reasoning for your rules do so in a little sidebar or a separate italicized paragraph, don't sprinkle it throughout. If you mix the two it just leads to arguments from verisimilitude and Rules As intended debates as well as making everything less clear.

edit: shamefully beaten. also thanks koreban.

Bistromatic fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 23, 2016