Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Laser Lenin approves of hobo murder simulators.
I am so incredibly pumped for Dropfleet Commander. It sounds and looks Awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Praetorians. They're your elite building storming choice. You'll already have 2 square of Legionaries from the starter set for normal building searching and objective grabbing.

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

I'm fairly sure they have confirmed the name as Dropfleet Commander, to tie it in with Dropzone Commander.

The idea of having the battle area being low(ish) orbit and having scoring units being troop transports that manoeuvre into place to drop forces onto cities is a genious idea.

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Aaaaaaactually, there is a gameplay reason not to base your walkers. As per Hawk Wargames, movement is a "if it fits, it's legal" meaning that, not only can your walkers move over enemy tiddlers in the way assuming they can move far enough to have their feet unobstructed on the ground, they can end their move straddling an enemy if they both fit.

PHR type 2 walkers can easily straddle Resistance technicals, and Shaltari big walkers can straddle almost any normal ground vehicle.

Removing or lessening that option with basing would make it that much easier for your opponent to restrict your moment, preventing you getting LoS on a valuable target for instance, or moving into scoring range for focal points.

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Bistromatic posted:

Also is that a PHR lady surfing on a wave of tiny drones in the second infantry pic?

Apparently, and I'm not sure how to feel about that.

The Shaltari and Scourge stuff looks awesome, but I can't help feel the UCM power armour looks a bit lovely.

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

katana light tanks are actually a really good swapout for sabres as well; they drop a point of armour but are faster, have greater ranged firepower and are cheaper to boot.

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Falcons got evade (like most gunships) in a recent FAQ so they're a lot harder to kill now, and so are pretty drat good.

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

I drive all my scourge tanks on as well. It sometimes takes them an extra turn to get in range, but I have 3 or 4 more tanks when I do which normally works out better long term. (Also the original med and large drops his for Scourge are silly looking).

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

One of my many, many, many potential future projects is to convert the medium ones to have the tanks hanging below the main dropship body, rather than above. I think that'll got long way to de-derpifying them.

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

it's going to take almost as long to prepare one DZC model as a single 28mm infantry figure.

Yes, but, especially the PHR walkers you're probably talking about posing are just as big as a 28mm infantry, but you need a lot less of them. I agree with most your,other points, though I am constantly surprised about people's objections to infantry bases. I must just be used to it, playing mainly Epic and Flames of War I guess.

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

The infantry are so uniformly atrocious as well; I don't know how they managed to make all the plastic infantry bad considering they already had much better pewter sculpts. It's not a limitation of the plastic casting process with its necessary removal of undercuts, there's already multiple example of 6, 10 and 15mm plastic infantry out which are of much higher quality.

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Driving "fast" vehicles on (anything with 6" move or more basically) allows you to save points from dropships and buy more tanks.

Scourge do this best with their 9" move MBTs; it's just coincidental their dropships look like rear end :)

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Went for the captain level; I tell myself that it's cause the cruisers and frigates are modular and I bet both make up the backbone of most fleets so having the ability to make extra variants will be very useful......

But I did really want that battlecruiser as well.......

I will totally grab a Shaltari starter set it they make one as well, maybe even a PHR one as well.

The bases look to have dials on them, which should cut down some on the token clutter these games always need. Hooray.

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Being a longtime player of Spartan games Firestorm Armada which has the dual problems of masses of tokens following every ship and being shackled to legacy bases so unable to innovate there, the more details that can be crammed onto the base, the better. Star Wars Armada does this as well, with the four shield facings being dials on the bases themselves; much easier to keep track of.

I wonder if they're going to follow FFGs lead on measurement as well; the beasts of War vids seem to have measurements being from flight peg to flight peg but the ships themselves massively overhang their bases. In X Wang/Armada, the base is everything and if a ship model interferers with measurement, it;s removed or positioned higher/lower with the multi-part flight pegs. The hawk widgets they use would allow for that easily enough.

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

I'm confused; are there now two KS exclusive UCM battlecruisers? The UCM Atlantis and Avalon are listed as separate entities, but the text of the Commodore level implies/outright states that there's only one UCM battlecruiser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Ugleb posted:

People thought it was unfair that there was no UCM BC available to non-high rank backers, so now there is 5.

Which is actually kind of annoying at the commodore level as you have to take the atlantis as one of your four.

Yup, as I suspected. I'll probably just add £14 onto my commodore to get the other UCM BC as well then. Gotta catch 'em all after all.