Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
I found a bunch of stuff I bought for this ages ago, a UCM resin starter that was missing one dropship and the Sabre unit. I've since bought in quite big, buying the plastic UCM starter, a blister of Falcons (having just read the thread from pages 1-7 I see I may have blundered, they're not supposed to be all that but they look cool), a Kodiak and a Condor for it.

If I understand right I can arrange these units into a list like this:

quote:

Command Section:

Kodiak + Condor
3x Rapier + Condor

Armour Section:

3x Sabre + Condor
2x Falcon

Infantry Section 1:

3x Legionnaires + Bear
3x Legionnaires + Bear
Condor

Infantry Section 2:

3x Legionnaires + Bear
3x Legionnaires + Bear
Condor

Support Section:

3x Rapier + Condor

After adjusting around for points, is that enough to make a solid starting list? I know nothing of the rules, it's just going on what I own and what looked cool. My next priorities, I suppose, are bulking out my tank squadron to the full 9 tanks/4 Gunships, getting some of the recon buggies for my command section (should I get missile or chaingun ones, I think the missile ones look cool as hell) and maybe some more tanks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006

Ugleb posted:

Yeah Falcons got much better recently so don't worry about that.

If you haven't already, download the FFOR army builder, there's a link in the OP. It is great for visualising options with battlegroups.

I've downloaded FFOR and it doesn't seem to let you have units share a dropship - if I select an Infantry section with the "2 Bears + 1 Condor" transport option, it gives me an error saying that I've selected the wrong transport option (even if I have 2 full units of 3 stands of troops each). Is this a problem with the program or is the starter box unit selection not legal?

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006

Ugleb posted:

Only observation I have atm is that people don't normally bother putting the Kodiak in a Condor. It's job is usually to be parked behind a building bringing down its indirect fire pile driver from space.

That's not to say you can't do it, just that it is generally considered not worth it. If you have a few points spare then why not.

I was misinformed then - when the people I was talking to about the game were explaining how to get started they said everything starts in a transport and you could only take units without aircraft if you were defending.

I take it if I buy some of the artillery pieces they probably don't need airlifting in either?

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
I played my first game today and it was super fun. I had my UCM stuff and was up against Scourge. We both had similarly sized forces, the starter set plus a command vehicle and a small unit of gunships.

In my opponent's case the command vehicle was a giant space crab thing that had a 12" radius zone of death that did Energy 11 hits to everything on the ground within 6" on a 3+ and 7-12" on a 6+. What I quickly realised was that while my command vehicle was a beefed up APC which could be shot at by his dropships, his tanks, his command vehicle and basically everything, his was a 6HP flyer that moved fast enough to nuke my AA (which needed 3's to hit and 4's to damage) and could potentially kill multiple units per shot more easily than a single E13 Area 5 shot hitting on 4+ most of the time (2+, -2 for Indirect Fire, can't fire on the move).

The game ended up a draw as I drew a lucky Underground Monorail card and hopped from one objective to the next, while my Falcons got a hail Mary shot off on his last surviving APC and did just enough wounds to destroy it, followed by a 6 on the explosion chart to kill his full-strength infantry squad. All he had left was a single tank (which missed my Kodiak on a 2+ to hit for 3 turns running), all his dropships (because my AA had all died trying to bring down his command plane) and that damned command thing on 3 wounds left.

My only losses were my AA unit and 2 single infantry off one stand, killed by falling rocks after he shot his command plane's laser on full beans Energy 13 Devastator mode into the building they were hiding in.

It seems against Scourge at least bringing more AA is a good bet - being able to lock down approaches against dropships with your overwatch threat, and being able to reliably take on the giant flying laser crab thing, seem vital. My tanks ran out of targets super quickly after my Falcons annihilated his tanks, a nuke from the Kodiak killed his entire AA unit in one shot, and their cannons were reduced to shooting buildings. Meanwhile the gunships used their absurd move to stay out of his short ranges, kill all his APCs and that was that.

I now want to buy all the models and play more games of this. Given I currently have all of 2 starter sets save one unit of Sabres, plus 2 Falcons and a Kodiak, are there any must-have UCM units? Because I'm now quite scared of the Scourge command bomber thing, and one of the other people at my club has bought Resistance including their special character bomber, I figure some AA threat is a good bet. Looking at the list the options seem to be more Rapiers, although I already have 6, some Archangel fighters which look sweet as hell, or the Wolverine scout car things which also increase my radius for playing cards and can spot for the Kodiak.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
How does this list look for a first attempt at 1,000 points?

quote:

Standard Army

Clash: 998/1000 points

Standard Army

Standard Roster [998/1000 pts]

Field Command [261 pts]
Kodiak: Kodiak(Squad Leader) [143 pts]
Wolverine Squad: 4x Wolverine A, 2x Raven B(+Missile Pods) [118 pts]

Armored Formation [308 pts]
Sabre Squad: 3x Sabre, Condor [142 pts]
Rapier Squad: 3x Rapier, Condor [166 pts]

Armored Formation [210 pts]
Katana Squad: 3x Katana, Condor [130 pts]
Falcon Squad: 2x Falcon [80 pts]

Legionnaire Corps [219 pts]
Legionnaires: 3x Legionnaires, Condor, 2x Bear [141 pts]
^ Sharing ^ Legionnaires: 3x Legionnaires [78 pts]

Too much AT and not enough AA? Not enough infantry?

I see a lot of people talking about driving Katanas on rather than airlifting them, is there a good reason for that?

EDIT: A guy at my club has put LEDs in some of his Scourge, which makes them look great as they eat my tanks with the area of effect lightning storm.

Bob Smith fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 15, 2015

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Seeing how the PHR are just Imperial Navy via a Giger and "bad guy ships from 80s space anime" filter, and you don't get PHR in the two-player starter, I am incredibly tempted to drop from a "1 starter box" pledge to the bolt-ons only pledge and buy 2 PHR boxes.

I don't even play PHR in Dropzone, I just love that broadsides and smooth curved surfaces design because it reminds me a bit of Legend of the Galactic Heroes with a Halo slant.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006

Prefect Six posted:

4.3 inches is gigantic. This game is going to be :krad:

I guess the bigger BFG ships were close to that too.

Some of the big Firestorm Armada ships are 6-7" long and to be honest they become a chore to paint at that point. Just a massive slab of resin covered in tiny little greebles.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
I want to do the PHR stuff in really glossy colours with the guns in a very dark gunmetal. Something like racing green would look good, possibly with a huge insignia stencilled on the side in white.

It would be a good excuse to get the hang of using stencils.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
I don't play PHR in DZC, don't have any intention of playing PHR in DZC, and yet I've changed my pledge to 2 PHR starters and probably a Leonidas because needle-like space opera ships with massive broadsides are absolutely the best.

It is probably mentioned in the fluff, which I confess I haven't read, but are the broadsides supposed to be kinetic or beam? The look of the PHR makes me imagine they're those bendy lasers you see in certain kinds of space opera.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
I think the pledge manager may be having issues, I went through the link provided, put in my whole Lieutenant pledge and it wouldn't let me confirm it, saying the item was "out of stock" and couldn't be added to my cart.

It also hasn't given me my credit to buy extra stuff.

I will try again later, I think. It's probably getting hammered.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006

wdarkk posted:

Now I'm wondering where I can find a O'Neill cylinder to scale.

I can't recall what scale Dropfleet is but I remember trying to plan how to build one for Firestorm Armada, which is claimed to be 1:10,000, and it turned out that a properly sized colony would be about 8 feet long at that scale.

I like the idea though and to be honest the docking bay of a colony, or the mirrors, would make great static scenery as a board centrepiece as well as letting me recreate all my favourite Japanese animes with dice and miniatures.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
I don't know if anyone is in this neck of the woods but Wayland Games, who are kind of a big player in the UK wargame selling business, are running a Hawk Open Day tomorrow at their Southend store. It's going to have Dropzone demo games, a mini campaign and so on and there's the possibility Dropfleet stuff will be there to wonder at.

This is the event page (For some reason they don't list events at their smaller store on their website to my knowledge, only Facebook).

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well, I went to the event today and it wasn't all that. There were a couple of really helpful Hawk guys who gave me some pointers on expanding my UCM force, but the attendees were mostly the regulars at the store hanging about.

They sold a lot of models though, although they had very little UCM stock so all I left with was the special character Ferrum (which I will use as a regular Ferrum most of the time).

I played in the starter box league and it went OK. First round was against a Hawk rep's PHR, and I won quite decisively. Then I lost horribly to a Shaltari player whose strategy was "mob up all my infantry and mass Gate them into any building my opponent challenges to wipe out his guys", and lost a very tense game to a PHR player because my guys decided finding objectives was just too difficult (out of numerous search rolls over 5 turns I passed one, in turn 6).

I came home with a little UCM dogtag which is quite nice.

They had a few Dropfleet resin models to show off, but none of the rules or plastics so all we could do was admire them.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
I've just been painting a vast amount of Dropzone I bought on a whim the other day, getting some Raven As for my starter box infantry, an Eagle and some Longbows. What's the best way to use Longbows? Is it building demolition, smoke coverage or just indirect firing at tanks from two feet away?

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
In great news my Lieutenant pledge (plus additional PHR starter) arrived today!

In significantly less great news I seem to be missing an entire PHR starter from it. Everything else is in order, but I am short 3 cruisers and a frigate sprue. I even seem to have the bases for them.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
In more cheerful news than internet moaning I went to the Hawk-run open day at Wayland Games today. In an impressive display of confusion it started 45 minutes late because somehow Hawk had been informed the event would be beginning an hour before the shop was supposed to open, and the earliest we could be let in was 9:45 for a printed 9am start (to allow the shop staff to do things like prepare the tills).

That said the event itself was excellent fun, I was the only person there whose stuff had arrived early enough to get any of it built or painted and so I was the only PHR player among the demo tables of studio-built UCM and Scourge. The Hawk team, Dave especially, are all excellent people who really seem to be trying to do their best and were very open about the nature of the delays and their efforts to get stuff sent out as quickly and efficiently as possible.

I played two games, both using a fleet of 1 Orion with 2 Europas, 1 Ajax with 2 Medeas and 1 Bellerophon. I won both, the first after a very bloody battle which left the only ships alive a damaged Seattle, a damaged Toulon, one Medea and one Europa and the second a more decisive affair where I lost only the Bellerophon (which Dave advised my opponent focus on because he believes it's possibly a bit too cheap but he couldn't reasonably increase its cost further).

Things I learned:

- PHR bombers are great, but all bombers are incredibly nasty. Even a Seattle can put out an awful lot of crits at 24" range.
- The Moscow on weapons free is terrifying and will quite easily eat most of a cruiser in one salvo with some decent rolls.
- Burnthrough lasers are really swingy damage-wise, but are a hell of a lot of fun.
- An Orion with some Europas is a really solid and cheap (minimum 188 points) bruiser unit for PHR, effectively putting out 11-15 dice hitting on 4s on each side. In my second game the Orion sniped the Moscow (which my bombers had already taken 4 health off) from across the map thanks to its major spike, rolled 5 crits and then got the double six on the crippled chart, causing the thing to suffer a further 5 damage (3 from the double 6 then another 2 from the second crit) and blowing it up spectacularly.

The spike mechanic is incredibly flavourful and I really think PHR need to go silent running for the first turn or two to move up, then get between enemy formations and let it rip. Don't do what I did and go weapons free on an Orion with a cruiser in each arc and roll 14 1's and 2's out of 16 dice. I like the idea your ships have a firing range for all weapons rather than BFG's mess of "this gun shoots 45cm but this identical-looking gun on a different ship shoots 60cm, and because I bought this 10 point upgrade which isn't visually distinct this third ship which is identical-looking to the second ship shoots 30cm but gets a to hit bonus," and that ships are very clearly distinct and weapon profiles are standardised within a faction. It's an elegant game and I can't wait to play more.

EDIT: Medeas are awful, awful excuses for a ship and PHR are completely hosed if a frigate hides in atmosphere until the Echo comes out.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006

Flipswitch posted:

Atm I'm a bit uncertain how you get to the atmosphere level strike carriers as non-Scourge. Curious to see how that pans out. Weapons free Moscow and hoping for a 6 isn't my idea of a good play.

The answer for PHR, straight from Hawk Dave, is a Standard Orders Ajax.

His words: "throw a fuckton of dice"

Not being able to use CAWs in atmosphere seems a potentially really annoying thing, it would kind of work to shoot missiles/lightning bolts at stuff your main guns can't easily hit.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006

LordAba posted:

Did the Medea do anything for you? I haven't played too many games with the beta, but so far it has done a whole big bag full of nothing. It doesn't have the shots to make bombing count with all the rolls you have to make.

It will be interesting to see when the corvettes come out. I assume they are in the official rulebooks?

It landed troops and in one game got some CAW crits to kill a Toulon. I also managed to kill something with bombardment but quickly found it was easier just to land more tanks on top of their tanks.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006

dexefiend posted:

I dont even know the rules, but i want to Nelson at Trafalgar as PHR. A shitload of standard PHR cruisers Crossing the T of my opponent.

Soooooo, i just want a shitload of their bog standard ships.

PHR List

Vanguard (497 + 40)
Leonidas (195), Lv2 Admiral (40)
Leonidas (195)
Orion (107)

Line (321)
Orion (107)
Orion (107)
Orion (107)

Line (321)
Orion (107)
Orion (107)
Orion (107)

Pathfinder (373)
Orpheus (135)
2x Medea (78)
2x Europa (80)

1,492/1,500

gently caress all objectives, just sling a load of dice at everything.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
I think I've got my 999 point fleet for PHR sorted.

quote:

Vanguard (280)
Bellerophon (180)
- 2x Pandora (100)

Line (227)
Orion (107)
- 3x Europa (120)

Pathfinder (308)
2x Ikarus (230)
- 2x Medea (78)

Pathfinder (178)
Ajax (100)
- 2x Medea (78)

I'm not sure how much objective grabbing force is too much, but 4 strike carriers at a sub-1000 point game seems enough to contest objectives well.

To expand to 1,250 I add another group comprising an Orpheus and two more Pandoras. Then for 1,500 drop a Europa and add a Battleship instead. I don't know how well it will work but I think it should be fun and that's what counts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006

Renfield posted:

Please don't paint them like vibrators, like so many other people are !

I've gone for a sports car green which is so dark it doesn't photograph at all well, with silver and gold detailing. It looks great in the flesh but without a proper light box it might as well just be black.