Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
My father lost his battle with cancer last week so I've been going through old photo albums, has been rather cathartic

Here he is chilling with one of his dobermans, I think there's a speargun in the background...

He worked for CP Rail for quite a long time, these are from 1991 somewhere up in the Sunshine Coast area of BC (I think around Schelt) an avalanche blocked some tracks

He had an old SLR, hoping to find some more pics as we go through all his things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

neckbeard posted:

He had an old SLR, hoping to find some more pics as we go through all his things.

Diggin' this shot especially :v:

Sorry to hear about your dad, he certainly had some cool pictures. Also, you should definitely shoot that old SLR yourself.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Really like the texture on this one.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ExecuDork posted:

Sorry to hear about your dad, he certainly had some cool pictures. Also, you should definitely shoot that old SLR yourself.

Seconding this. I inherited my dad's old OM-10 a while back and shooting my kids with the same camera my dad used to shoot us has a nice warm circle of life feel to it.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Why did it take me so long to click this thread? :confused:

This is awesome!

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
I think it would shatter my dad's delicate ego if he found out I was looking at photos of other cooler dads on the internet.

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

I BLEW $74K IN KICKSTARTER MONEY AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS UGLY AVATAR

Soopafly posted:

I'm not kidding when I say I'd love to see every last one of those you're willing to put online. Thanks for sharing, this stuff is fascinating.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Having largely exhausted the people/crime/exciting stuff scans I currently have, and being on a semi-hiatus in scanning new ones (warm weather means I'm Doin Thangs), I guess I'll toss up some landscape and streetscape type stuff.

Ladies love a dude with a camera, a case of beer, and a copy of Dark Side of the Moon in his car.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

his face

:stonk:

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.
Not mine, but this thread needs some life. Welcome to 1970's Philadelphia.

Street Gang Members, August 1973 by The U.S. National Archives, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yaaaaaaaaay it's back :toot:

That painter picture at the very end is phenomenal

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Hopefully the new boxes have some interesting stuff. The last box, 1992, had...churches. Fuckton of churches. "Hey. Pops." I say. "What's with all the churches?" "Some minister was collecting photos of every church in the county for a book or something, I dunno what. He paid $10 per picture, so yeah why the hell not."

I never want to see another church again.

EDIT: Holy gently caress why did I make that so big

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 13, 2015

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

loving owns.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
That's like $4000 worth of church pictures.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Hopefully the new boxes have some interesting stuff. The last box, 1992, had...churches. Fuckton of churches. "Hey. Pops." I say. "What's with all the churches?" "Some minister was collecting photos of every church in the county for a book or something, I dunno what. He paid $10 per picture, so yeah why the hell not."

I never want to see another church again.

EDIT: Holy gently caress why did I make that so big

Make this into one of those composite images where the big image is made of thousands of little images. Obviously the big image should be either a naked woman's silhouette or Bob Marley, if my time spent walking around inside the mall has taught me anything.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It reminds me of some of the photo collections the Library of Congress has online. They sent photographers all over the country to record the state of things and there's a lot of "documentary" shots like that.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

Make this into one of those composite images where the big image is made of thousands of little images. Obviously the big image should be either a naked woman's silhouette or Bob Marley, if my time spent walking around inside the mall has taught me anything.

Dickbutt

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

xzzy posted:

It reminds me of some of the photo collections the Library of Congress has online. They sent photographers all over the country to record the state of things and there's a lot of "documentary" shots like that.

That's really cool, does anyone still do anything like that? Sounds like a sweet gig, for anyone not independently wealthy.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Don't be blasphemous, please. Steeplebutt is clearly the logical choice.

EDIT:
It actually worked better than expected

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 14, 2015

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Thank you

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

EDIT:

:golfclap: Hail Dad Pics!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

That's really cool, does anyone still do anything like that? Sounds like a sweet gig, for anyone not independently wealthy.

I don't know if they still do it, almost all of it is from the 60's and earlier. It was the same sort of program that got us all those depression era shots from Dorothea Lange.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

EDIT:

holy poo poo hahahahahaha

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

EDIT:

Yes

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Just found this thread today. Loving everything, especially the NC photos (I grew up not too far from this). Rev Bleech_, I know a history archivist in the Triangle- if you and your dad are interested in donating these I think it would be really a really fascinating collection. Sounds like some but not all are public record already though the newspaper. But seeing them all together like you've been presenting, holy poo poo.

Sorry to hear that Neckbeard. My condolences.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Just found this thread today. Loving everything, especially the NC photos (I grew up not too far from this). Rev Bleech_, I know a history archivist in the Triangle- if you and your dad are interested in donating these I think it would be really a really fascinating collection.

Cool...I'll float it by him, but I'm not really sure if the paper technically retains ownership of pre-1996 shots or not. I'll try and find out.

Forgive the miserable condition of the negatives, but I found a roll in a box that the old man has mentioned to me several times but thought was lost forever, but it needs a little bit of explanation.
See, in the ridiculously wealthy part of the county, just a block from homes that sometimes go for over a million dollars and less than a mile from the site of several prestigous golf tournaments sits a bar. This bar is called The Tater Barn, seen here circa 2014 along with its' single Google review.

Looks like they've classed the place up the last few years with vinyl siding but make no mistake, this place is the diviest dive that ever dived, completely out of character with the surrounding community. Until he steps in the door here, Greg Louganis will not truly know what "dive" means. It's maybe 400-500 square feet and populated by creepy boozehounds. When I say "creepy" I mean creepy in a Lovecraftian sense; there's something so off about them* that you half expect to find an altar to Dagon where the jukebox would be in a normal bar, the yellow-skinned barflies chanting fell passages and tossing offerings of Milwaukee's Best at it. That reviewer? I imagine him walking out of the place the same way Ronette walked down the railroad tracks in Twin Peaks.

Dad mentioned these photos from the early 80s after I had delivered pizzas here one night (I had to share my revulsion with someone), but believed them lost. You see, one night a fire broke out next door to the Tater Barn. Unfavorable wind conditions managed to start the back of the Tater Barn itself burning. People usually try to get out of burning buildings.

Not at the Tater Barn; after a few minutes of gawking the dedicated alcoholics went back inside and resumed drinking as the firefighters were working to extinguish the back of the building.

I like to imagine that some fat lazy eyed dude was playing "Nearer My God to Thee" on a mouth harp just out of frame. The Tater Barn still inexplicably stands, in the midst of a community that literally codifies what colors you can paint your front door and forbids visible playground equipment in back yards

* - My father knew at least one patron of the place in the 70s and early 80s; a local painter and alcoholic who appeared in the local hardware store the day Martin Luther King Jr. was killed, whereupon he purchased several cans of sterno and told the clerk he was "celebrating". You do the math.

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 25, 2015

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
Rev.Bleech_ holy poo poo your pictures are awesome.

Here have some cool grandad pics, I'm trying to save the photographic history of my family by scanning old ones I find. Most of our pictures and stuff were lost somewhere during the process of migrating to the US.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

HNasty posted:

Rev.Bleech_ holy poo poo your pictures are awesome.

Here have some cool grandad pics, I'm trying to save the photographic history of my family by scanning old ones I find. Most of our pictures and stuff were lost somewhere during the process of migrating to the US.

Those are some hella Sikh pics! :haw:

(Seriously though, look forward to seeing more)

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Both these latest additions to this thread are totally rad.

Best thread in Dorkroom!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

rad as hell

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Here are a couple of cool dadpics (technically grandpa-pics, from my mother's family in Ohio)

Babby is drinking a beer that begins DREW--- any idea what brand that would be?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Whereabouts in Ohio? Guessing that first one's somewhere along Lake Erie. No idea on the beer offhand but I think there were always a number of smaller breweries around Cleveland a ways back.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Defenestration posted:

Babby is drinking a beer that begins DREW--- any idea what brand that would be?

wanna party with this babby

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

Whereabouts in Ohio? Guessing that first one's somewhere along Lake Erie. No idea on the beer offhand but I think there were always a number of smaller breweries around Cleveland a ways back.

They're from Toledo area but that's not to say they couldn't go on a fishing trip elsewhere.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Defenestration posted:

They're from Toledo area but that's not to say they couldn't go on a fishing trip elsewhere.

Ha, born and raised. What part?

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

Ha, born and raised. What part?
sorry, would rather not say. I'm not from there, anyway.

Community Corner pizza and hero shop, circa 1967. Very Mookie-esque. Probably in Queens though.

and this one, which really confused me until I figured it out.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

No worries, those are awesome pictures in any event

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm glad that even in the 60's people weren't afraid to make jokes about recent tragedies.

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.
Found some old dadpics over the holidays - here's my dad's 1970-something road trip across the US. More to come from Oklahoma farms when I get them scanned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
You should remove the red cast from some of these:

• Locked thread