Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

iSheep posted:

You should remove the red cast from some of these:

But then how will we know it's the 70s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it shriveled up
Jun 28, 2004

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Sorry bro, these belong in a new thread - Coolest Dad Pics.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

God drat what a dad

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

A young Wilford Brimley plies his wares at the annual horse race wherein everyone got hammered and no one actually watched the horses

Sure, having three young girls in your trunk was "cute" back then, but I do it now and busybody judges get involved.

As I've said before, never get into a fight with a train; you'll lose and the train won't even know there was a fight.
Dad actually knew these two; they lived across a lake from a childhood friend of his, and the male half of the couple was quite the screeching rear end in a top hat who would come flying down the driveway if anyone even approached within 100 feet of his property line, and his girlfriend was a much younger, timid thing.
Showing this to my father earlier this year, I heard him mumble "yell at everybody now, you mouthy bastard" at the monitor.

Hit by a car? Fat Cop don't Give a gently caress.

Loading docks are a great place for nappin'

Everyone in this photo died of dysentery shortly thereafter. They're in a mass grave outside of town. Some say that if you visit at night, the the scent of peperony and chease can be detected on the breeze.

You expect to find certain things in your dad's photos; an apparently time-travelling Craig Robinson is not one of them

White people. :rolleyes:

Another in the "landscapes I dig" series

A young North Carolinian destined for Great Things

...and two cars behind her, living, breathing proof that the Throne of the Lord sits empty

My dad's best pal, circa 1974. This is apparently how they spent their weekends. And he says I wasted *my* youth.

I leave you with some interesting negative damage that I couldn't clean off, which just so happened to be on a photo of two super rad dudes.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Good dad pics imo.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

My dad's best pal, circa 1974. This is apparently how they spent their weekends. And he says I wasted *my* youth.

hahahha Schlitz.

This is some grade A cool dad posting

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

iSheep posted:

Good dad pics imo.

Good dad pics, bad trigger discipline

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Shellman posted:

Good dad pics, bad trigger discipline

on the plus side, it's only a BB/pellet pistol. Still, remarkable that no one ever lost an eye during all this weird drunken debauchery

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

A change of pace due to the fact that I've caught up my scanning for now (the 4 boxes packed with 1996 and 1997 in the garage still looming over me like a thundercloud), and the fact that I skeeved his 2004-2015 photo archive off his PC over christmas.
Apologies that these are newer, but I think some of them are interesting at least.

From March 2008, I was shocked he never told me about this one. Though given his political leanings, I shouldn't be surprised.

Though hard to see at the resolution I shrank it to, a certain affable peanut farmer returned to town for a funeral a few years ago. As you can probably guess by the glowering sunglassed men, the Secret Service wouldn't allow him any closer.

Talk about your undignified exits; two WWII vets nearly get backed over by an idiot in a Suburban during the St Patrick's Day Parade. Sorry "20 $ DOG", you lose today (subsequent shots show they're on a traffic median, not actually in the street)

From the same parade, a kid that doesn't give a gently caress.

I have no clue why there was a serious altercation over flowers, but here we are.

Random/Weird People Being People

:catdrugs::catdrugs::catdrugs::catdrugs::catdrugs::catdrugs::catdrugs:

North Carolinians understand.

Alocholic North Carolinians will understand In case you missed it, that's 4 cases of Busch stacked up on that DUIcycle

Dad is not above a cheap joke when it falls in his lap.

Nor tugging at the ol heartstrings.

Cat Tax?

Merry Belated Xmas Goonz

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.
Here's some WWII-era photos.

My grandfather, on Normandy not long after D-Day. He didn't participate in the invasion, but best research I can come up with (he didn't talk much about the war) was that he was in counterintelligence and was in the Battle of the Bulge before taking the city of Cologne.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I really dig that last one

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
I found some old negatives over the Christmas break and tried to save a few of them;

There were a bunch of these photos like this of my ma and uncle at some catholic retreat. I guess visiting these places is what you did for fun when you were in the back-arse nowhere in Irleand in the late 60s.

I think this one is a picture of my uncle, my grandad was in the Irish Air Corps and these were their training planes.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

i found this in someone's trash but the correct thread is already in archives.

e:fixed the colors a bit

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 29, 2016

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Reviving this dead rear end thread with a pic of my Grandpa water skiing.

iSheep fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Apr 8, 2016

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.
Japan, around 1990.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

iSheep posted:

Reviving this dead rear end thread with a pic of my Grandpa water skiing.

this owns a lot

Soopafly posted:

Japan, around 1990.

I dig this one too

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

My rating for the past two dad posts: Two Thumbs Up!

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
My dad never touched a camera but my mom loved to take photos, I just found some negs that I didn't even know we had, I thought we left em all when we moved to Canada. There's some weird yellow gunk on some of it though, how do I best clean these?

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
About 30 years ago. Grandpa pics.

This is the only back he wrote on:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yo your grandpa rad af

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I love this thread so much.

lightandplanetary
May 23, 2016

My Dad (and Mum) before the stress of having two children aged them considerably. Oh how good the 80's were.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I found some slides in my dad's stuff. I don't know who these people are or whats going on, but I think they're my family and they seem to be having a good time.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

drat all of that owns

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

My scanning pace has slowed way down, and the mid-90s aren't as interesting, but still some stuff of interest.

Once upon a time, before NASCAR was the gleaming behemoth devoid of personality that it is today, small town newspaper press passes could still get you into the infield.
Pictured: goddamn american hero bahgawd

Pictured: the Fastest Man Alive

Finding this little series delighted me; a brush fire breaks out in a local trailer park. The residents come out and use a rake (useful for brush fires, but not the way this guy is using it) and brooms and mops to fight it.

The fire department showed up eventually as did this magnificent sonofabitch, clad only in boxer shorts and a shower cap

From the "People Being People" file

The Landscape file

And the "landscape only I could care about because this was once a beautiful spot for stargazing, and now 20 years later it's a subdivision" file:

EDIT:
And this one isn't old, it's from a house fire this past March, but I like it. :ohdear: ...he turned out okay IIRC

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 20, 2016

Catsby
Sep 28, 2016
Really nice thread.
I scanned some of my belated grandparents prints earlier this year, that some of you might enjoy.

My grandfather was working for some time on Svalbard, here my grandmother is visiting him.

Grandfather in front of some Svalbard mountain.

Grandfather in his Svalbard office. My personal favorite of these.

Grandfather and grandmother cozying up.

Grandfather and my mother, some time in the 70's

New Year's Eve sometime in the 70's

These are my favorites, I have a few more if people are keen.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Catsby posted:

How can you tell it's the 70s?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Catsby posted:

Really nice thread.
I scanned some of my belated grandparents prints earlier this year, that some of you might enjoy.

My grandfather was working for some time on Svalbard, here my grandmother is visiting him.

Grandfather in front of some Svalbard mountain.

Grandfather in his Svalbard office. My personal favorite of these.

Grandfather and grandmother cozying up.

New Year's Eve sometime in the 70's

These are my favorites, I have a few more if people are keen.

Don't hold back, keep sharing

Catsby
Sep 28, 2016

Helen Highwater posted:

How can you tell it's the 70s?
My mum told me.

Spedman posted:

Don't hold back, keep sharing

Here's the last ones I've scanned so far.

More New Year's shenanigans
[timg]http://imgur.com/qaRUNxO.jpg][/timg]
Mum, aunt, uncle and some random kids

Mum in the middle, with few teeth, when she was hospitalized for something I can't remember.

Mum at the hospital with some kid she befriended. The kid died in that hospital later.

What I think is my uncle, chilling in the couch

And lastly, my favorite picture of my grandfather, hanging out in his boat.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yo your grandpa is pro af

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Catsby posted:

And lastly, my favorite picture of my grandfather, hanging out in his boat.

Now that's a three hour tour *I* would sign up for.

Catsby
Sep 28, 2016

DJExile posted:

yo your grandpa is pro af

He's unfortunately dead now, but he was quite cool.
I'm out of pictures to share for now, but I have a bunch of negs I should get around to scanning one of these days.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
That last picture is awesome

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

i was gonna give you guff for being out of focus but since he's the fastest man alive your dad is off the hook

(seriously though this thread very good)

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

I think this exists in color too but here's dad's college buddy

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum
I am really happy I found this thread. There is some amazing stuff in here. I am way dad old myself by most of your standards (50) and I am planning to send my dad's slides out for scanning in the next few weeks. They're just family pics, nothing as cool as the photojournalist stuff in this pro thread, but if anything is cool I'll post it.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
I managed to scrounge half a dozen postable pics from a batch of 700, you can do it!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
There will be *something* cool in any old set of photos, guaranteed. Post 'em as soon as you can, please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I've been put in charge of scanning a box filled with ektachrome. Like way too much ektachrome.

So I should have some stuff for this thread sometime soon*.

*ᶜᵒᵘᶫᵈ ᵇᵉ ᵗᵒᵐᵒʳʳᵒʷ ᶜᵒᵘᶫᵈ ᵇᵉ ᶰᵉˣᵗ ʸᵉᵃʳ

• Locked thread