Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

DAD pics, not mom pics.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

SoundMonkey posted:

you are not going to gently caress up a thread this good

I Still like you! :lol:

You're a good mod SoundMonkey.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

VendaGoat posted:

I Still like you! :lol:

You're a good mod SoundMonkey.

do not post in dorkroom again. the rules have been updated to reflect this.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Grandpa and Grandma lookin rad in '58

Great Grandpa out watching Grampa do Carrier Quals in the early 60s.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

hooollly poo poo this is cool

Shrinking Universe
Sep 26, 2010
Muse sucks FYI

Beet Wagon posted:

Grandpa and Grandma lookin rad in '58

This is the best photo on a carrier where the jet lined up on the cat isn't the coolest thing in frame, but is instead a vague background detail.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Shrinking Universe posted:

This is the best photo on a carrier where the jet lined up on the cat isn't the coolest thing in frame, but is instead a vague background detail.

:same: Granddad didn't talk a lot about his father but I vaguely recall the gist of this story being that the very first plane ride my Great Granddad had ever been on was sitting next to the open door in the helicopter that took him out to U.S.S. Lexington to watch his son get carrier qualified. I love the tiny hint of pride he's let through his otherwise impassive face here, particularly in light of the story and the incredibly cool jet aircraft that's just sort of hanging out in the background.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

aaaa that green cap :3:

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo

Club Chill

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
Reportedly chillin' on chocolate mescaline @ bass lake. Still together 43 years later. Found a stack of several choppers my dad built, still need to can them in. poo poo is a trip!

Edit: added some more cause I think it's cool as poo poo. It's crazy the emotional impact an old box of photos can have.

Mom & Friends

Pop After Nam

Pop

Chopper Build 1

Chopper Build 2

Choppers

Choicecut fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Apr 29, 2017

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Choicecut posted:

Reportedly chillin' on chocolate mescaline @ bass lake. Still together 43 years later. Found a stack of several choppers my dad built, still need to can them in. poo poo is a trip!

Edit: added some more cause I think it's cool as poo poo. It's crazy the emotional impact an old box of photos can have.

Most of these are pinging as "no longer available," which is a shame because the ones that do show up are great.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

Allen Wren posted:

Most of these are pinging as "no longer available," which is a shame because the ones that do show up are great.

Whoops. Drunken computers. Should be displaying now. I accidentally uploaded them all as public on my flickr feed, then moved them to friends and family status.

Edit: Really glad you think they are cool too. I was on the fence about sharing them with you guys. I'm going through boxes of photos from my parents and scanning and archiving them. It's a huge undertaking, but drat is it great to have them. So easy to forget things!

Choicecut fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Apr 29, 2017

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Korean war stuff. Just some from the first roll that I scanned. I have a ton more of this stuff to organize and process. Most of it color slides. :psyduck:

akadajet fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 5, 2017

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Dude on the left is "A soldier from St. Louis'. My grandfather on the right.

Rest of the group.

dump a month's salary on a Zeiss Contax IIa camera and you still end up with double exposures. the shutter on it doesn't work at all anymore, unfortunately :(

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

All of those own and I'm glad this thread is back

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

My great uncle and a cat. 1954. Some kind of mold or mildew on these slides. I'm afraid to try to clean them though.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

akadajet posted:

My great uncle and a cat. 1954. Some kind of mold or mildew on these slides. I'm afraid to try to clean them though.

Those colours :eyepop:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Spedman posted:

Those colours :eyepop:

kodochome

:chome:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Box was labeled "Japan November 1953"

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

akadajet posted:

jesus man. The mildew is the only thing that lets you know it's not an Instagram post from last week.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

jesus man. The mildew is the only thing that lets you know it's not an Instagram post from last week.

Ugg... I know the mildew sucks. I ordered some stuff called Pec 12 to try to remove it with. Hopefully, I don't destroy anything :ohdear:

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Just make sure to blow them off with a bulb blower first to knock off any solid dust or you'll scratch them; avoid canned air there's no guarantee the filler is free of any particulate that may ding your slides. Q-Tips are 100% cotton and good soft cleaning instruments (Q-Tip brand, not the store label stuff, who knows what ground up Chinese children are in them). PEC-Pads for larger areas if you want to save time. Kimwipes cost less but have to be wet to guarantee no scratches. I usually clean my negatives with lighter fluid (its cheap and doesn't damage modern film bases) and a kimwipe but I have no idea if that is safe for an old slide.

I wanna see more.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sauer posted:

Just make sure to blow them off with a bulb blower first to knock off any solid dust or you'll scratch them; avoid canned air there's no guarantee the filler is free of any particulate that may ding your slides. Q-Tips are 100% cotton and good soft cleaning instruments (Q-Tip brand, not the store label stuff, who knows what ground up Chinese children are in them). PEC-Pads for larger areas if you want to save time. Kimwipes cost less but have to be wet to guarantee no scratches. I usually clean my negatives with lighter fluid (its cheap and doesn't damage modern film bases) and a kimwipe but I have no idea if that is safe for an old slide.

I wanna see more.

Yeah, I'm using a bulb blower and have the pec pads. They work great for some of the slides. This mildew just gets smudged though. I think having the emulsion cleaner will help.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
See if you can get some silica gel packets to toss into the slide box next time you store them. They don't last forever but will eliminate any chance of future mildew if your home gets humid often.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sauer posted:

See if you can get some silica gel packets to toss into the slide box next time you store them. They don't last forever but will eliminate any chance of future mildew if your home gets humid often.

Not a bad idea. I'm going to be moving them all to archival binders, so I can throw a packet in there with them.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Just lol if you're not using the xpro mildew filter on your sick IG shotz.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

This howitzer gun was responsible a lifetime of tinnitus by the way.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Looking at the wikipedias I think that's an M114 howitzer that's being fired.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M114_155_mm_howitzer

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

holy poo poo that second one :stare:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is he the soldier from TF2?

Those colors are so loving juicy.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Soldier and a friendly dog. Probably 1953.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
These photos are great. Thank you for sharing them.

Edit: Tinnitus can go to hell. Never fired artillery but a lifetime of machine shoppery has... reeeeeeeeeeeee.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sauer posted:

These photos are great. Thank you for sharing them.

Thanks. I'll keep posting them as I stumble across ones that I like. I still have a huge pile of slide boxes to go through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
My old man's newspaper publicity shot from back in the 80s.

For reference, my old man last weekend. Not bad for 61.

• Locked thread