Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Rad idea for a thread. I'll be back with some photots my Dad took while SCUBA diving of an octopus attacking someone, when I get the chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I end this post with another all-too-common find in the archives: the Wonderful Creep Shot :q:

It's important journalism, man!

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

So, can I post Cool Mum Pics here also?

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

This is a self portrait of my mother, shot about 1970 as an eighteen year old.

I knew my mother was a little bit into photography; my whole life she's been cracking out the SLR (or, more recently, DSLR) and forcing her family members to pose awkwardly at Christmas time, during birthdays, at tourist attractions, etc. Apparently, before this descent into family documentation, she took rad pictures of awesome and interesting things.

For example, Sydney school life in the very late 1960s.

As a young woman, she used to travel. Apparently, while she was there, she'd take the sorts of sick Kodachrome deadpan landscape shots that would make her son kinda jealous 40 years later. Here's a few shots of Fiji.

This, I assume, is a typical gentleman of the early 70s toting his new Fijian-bought cassette recorders. Those certainly were the days...

Her travels weren't only to tropical Pacific nations, though. She also used to enjoy road trips. I believe in these photos, she was on the way to Coffs Harbour when she encountered a flooded highway. I can only assume that's Elvis standing on the right of the first photo.

This is just the first few, from a box overflowing with Kodachrome slides. I'm a little bit excited to keep digging through them.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

spookygonk posted:

Just googled "Hitachi TRQ-222" and that's one chunky cassette recorder (the two parts on the back are detachable speakers).

That's rad! I can only assume he was planning on getting two tapes going in tandem for some some quadraphonic stereo goodness.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Pham Nuwen posted:

I figured he'd put a tape in one and wire it into the other to make copies.

And so a cassette piracy empire was born.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

So, my mother. In case you forgot her, here's a photo of her posing near a disabled man.

On the last day of school, students in Year 12 celebrate the infamous 'muck up day' where they dress up and play pranks around the school. This was no different in the late 60s...

(Yessss... look at those Kodachrome colours....)

...although apparently my mother's cohort set fire to the school? Or is that steam?

Anyway, they made a helluva mess.

Anyway, our story continues back in Fiji. Everything looks gloriously tropical, and my mother takes charming abstract poolside shots.

The locals put on demonstrations for gawking, camera-toting tourists...

Meanwhile, all of the tourists strut around in their hideous 70s fashion disaster outfits, trying to look beautiful.

(Nice Speedos!)

And weirdly, here's a bonus shot from Fiji of the most bronzed Aussie ever, dressed as a British naval officer, and his girlfriend as a flamenco dancer.

Time to depart Fiji now, where I leave you with two images that pretty much sum up the Australian experience:

And that's that for my second installment... still have one final batch of slides to dig through.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Both these latest additions to this thread are totally rad.

Best thread in Dorkroom!

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Sorry bro, these belong in a new thread - Coolest Dad Pics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

My grandfather evidently shared my interest in great kitsch roadside attractions. Here's the Big Pineapple circa 1975.

• Locked thread