Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Somewhere between found film and your own poo poo lies the stuff you had to scan for your family. Post neat-O photographs from those dusty boxes of slides and photo albums in your moms attic.

I'll start.

My grandpa Frank lived from 1916 to 1990. After WW2, he spent most of his career in the Canadian high arctic working for the territorial governments, starting as a land titles clerk in Yukon, culminating in becoming a Judge in the NWT. His box of slides was chillin at my Dads house since 1995, when he brought it over and asked me to scan and catalog them with him.

This is him:

The Mooser by Winston85, on Flickr

Here are some pictures of his:

Mike Comadina by Winston85, on Flickr
Mike Comadina, Pearl Harbor Bar, 1953 [Dawson City, Yukon, Canada]
Google says Mike becomes Mayor of Dawson City in 1970.

Duncan Pryde by Winston85, on Flickr

On the left is an honest to goodness igloo living Eskimo, circa 1968. A member of the last generation of truly nomadic first nations in Canada. On the right is certified badass Duncan Pryde.
Seriously, you need to read Duncan Pryde's wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duncan_Pryde

Basically he is a Hudson's Bay Company fur trader, hunter, trapper, lexicographer and politician. He started writing the only known Inuktitut/English dictionary. He also fathered a ton of half Inuit children. My dad remembers having him over for dinner!

Wilf Brown by Winston85, on Flickr

Wilf Brown was my Grandfathers boss and also a pretty cool looking dude. He was Yukon Commissioner, and then later deputy commissioner of the North West Territories. There's a building named after him in Iqualuit, Nuavut, Canada.

Pierre Trudeau by Winston85, on Flickr

Pierre Trudeau accpeting the gift of a Polar Bear head, 1968

And now for some cool pictures offered without comment:

Ottawa 1961 by Winston85, on Flickr

Florida 1979 by Winston85, on Flickr

C Rendall, H Dickson, Pearl Harbor, Dawson, 1953 by Winston85, on Flickr

Untitled by Winston85, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

I managed to scrounge half a dozen postable pics from a batch of 700, you can do it!

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

This is good yes.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Still chuckling @ Dadliest Catch

• Locked thread