Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

My father, after a series of odd jobs, became the photographer for the county coroner in 1964. After 4 years, he got tired of this for obvious reasons (he said he had second thoughts on one of his first jobs, which involved climbing into the backseat of a Volkswagen Beetle where a murder/suicide by shotgun had occurred) and moved onto the local newspaper.

The coroner still needed help on occasion, and pops obliged since he was usually on-scene anyway. This combined with his lack of organization made thumbing through family photos rather interesting; a few years ago I found a photo of my first day of school sandwiched between a car wreck and a woman who had been strangled and left by the side of the road.

I am, as of today, over 9,500+ negatives into scanning his archive with no end in sight. Working for a small local newspaper, there was occasionally crime or fire related drama; this particular instance was crime; a drug stop in the spring of 1992. He won a spot news photography press award for one of this series.

Sometimes the crime news was serious...

Sometimes it was kind of silly....

And sometimes it was some downright Mayberry poo poo (pictured: Highway Patrolmen trying, and failing miserably, to catch a horse that was somewhere it wasn't supposed to be)

Sometimes the news was political; the big dogs rarely came to town but plenty of governors showed up. Like the right honorable James Holshouser.

Sometimes a politician from another state would come by; like this humble peanut farmer, seen here speaking with folks in 1975

(no one thought much of it at the time; a year later, the local Democrat county commissioners and whatnot were beating down his door for copies of any photos they appeared in)

It wasn't just governors; there was an occasional Presidential visit to be posted later (Gerald Ford, Bill Clinton), or our local Senator, Sam Ervin. You may have heard of him; he was the chair of the Senate Watergate Committee.

Speaking of Watergate, here's Sen. Ervin watching TV locally on the evening of July 9, 1974. These photos may not have much in the way of art, but they're some of my favorites. It's not often in backwater North Carolina that you get to witness history in the presence of those who are making it.

The other thing that brought the famous to the area: golf. The Colgate World Open especially. Fred MacMurray (of "My Three Sons" and "Flubber") and Cliff Robertson (Spider-Man's Uncle Ben, PT-109's JFK) came out for one. Later we'll see Don Knotts. Contain your applause.

But that sort of event was rare. There's a lot more everyday accidents (traffic accidents, getting hit by lightning)...

Linked due to possibly :nws: dead body partially visible

Bad (if beautiful) weather...

And on slow news days (or weeks; the paper was went from once a week to three times a week during the 1968-1990 time period of my scans thus far), the requisite landscapes...

....or my favorite "Slow News Day" category, people just being people.

On very rare occasions, news photography and family photography intersected in weird ways. For instance, here's little old me in 1986, looking rather annoyed to be dragged out of bed at 3:30am (since my mom was at work and leaving me alone would be irresponsible, after all) to watch Sherriff's Deputies chop up a moonshine still in the woods somewhere.

I'll post more later, but for now, enjoy this photo of one of dad's friends, an 8x10 of which hung in the living room when I was a child and gave me nightmares.

(this actually ran in the paper for some reason; the week it came out, this same friend of dad's, while out driving, saw two boys on a corner hawking papers. They looked at him, he made this expression, they both started shouting "IT'S HIM" and ran down the street)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Q: How does one sum up small-town 1981?
A: By looking at these photos and imagining that the synth solo from "Tom Sawyer" is playing from huge, unseen speakers.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Let's see what else was going on July 4th, 1981.

Slow-motion Americana shots from a Michael Bay movie?

Oh no, look out Parachutist #1!!!!

She's okay, folks.

Maybe Parachutist #2 will do better

well, gently caress. He's okay, folks.

I post this not for any activity in the picture, but because it amuses me that dad's weird self-portrait hung on the wall in his favorite bar.

Let's check in on another local parade, circa 1976. Four-term NC governor Jim Hunt during his first term? Check.

Grand Marshal/Hall-of-Famer Catfish Hunter, for some reason? Check.

Strangely multicultural (for 1976 anyway) Minutemen? Check.

The Lil' Black Panthers? ....Check?

Well, at least these guys weren't invited (circa....1994. :sigh: )
http://i.imgur.com/pamjKa8l.jpg

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

In smaller towns and more rural areas, the most newsworthy thing in a week is usually a car wreck. I'll spare you the gory ones (and believe me there's more than a few), but remember these photos from fatal wrecks the next time someone tells you how much better/safer/stronger cars were in the 60s and 70s.

Of course, when you hit a building and cause the facade to collapse on your car, not much is going to help you period (yes, the old lady who did this is still in the car in these photos. No, you cannot see her. No, it was not pretty at all when the bricks were moved.)

The other problem with older cars? They're not the most reliable things in the world (nor do their drivers appreciate seeing a snickering photographer documenting this fact)

Fun Fact: out of 9,936 negative scans that I've tagged and categorized thus far, 807 of them are wrecks (not counting plane crashes and train derailments). Speaking of plane crashes, enjoy this one for the fact that it contains the most stereotypical southern lawman that ever lived:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

DJExile posted:

I can hear his drawl already :allears:

and goddamn those are insane

I asked pops if he left the scene for a Diablo sandwich and a Dr. Pepper, but he didn't get it.

scotty posted:

Rev., how on earth have you not shared these with us sooner?

They are great. I'm looking forward to everything you can post in the future.

Thanks; I've still got plenty to comb through for postables, so more are coming. The reason I haven't posted these sooner is because goddamn it takes forever to scan 10,000 photos with a single-frame film scanner.

The archives stop circa 1997, though I have a long way to go before I get there; the next year the paper finally went color and I'm not sure what they did with the negatives for those. Frankly I find the color stuff way less interesting...even dad admits it "sucks the mystery out". About 2001 they made the switch to digital; while still not as interesting as the black and white stuff, there's still some good ones.

Hilariously, this is one of the most controversial front page photos the paper ever ran. Pearl-clutchin' bluehairs were mighty offended at what this dog was doing.

Anyhow, back to the black and white archives in the next post.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

DJExile posted:

i fuckin' love everything in this picture

That lady was a regular there. Always two sandwiches, one for her, one for her dog.

This is the first time I ever saw somebody die. I wasn't with him when he took this, but my schoolbus passed this scene right as the truck caught fire (the ladder was extended and caught the power lines).

Random People Category: People in Mid-Air Edition

After this (the July 4th parade of 1993), this guy planted this sign in his front yard. It's still there today.

From the "Caught Creeping" series:

PONG FUEL

Landscapes

And a rare color shot from 1974. Yes, this is a staged "drug deal" shot, featuring real weed. The joke is, that's the local police station they're doing it in front of. I have probably two dozen of these shots featuring ten different people; it's apparently the thing you did in the 70s. People also used to enjoy going into the station to use the water fountain with weed on them. Memorably, one guy didn't conceal it well enough while pulling his "lol I have weed in a police station" gag...a passing cop grabbed the edge of the baggie sticking out of his back pocket and arrested him on the spot.

Downer alert: at least one person in this photo was dead of a drug overdose five years later.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

DJExile posted:

these are all fascinating and I love the stories behind them.

My father can't remember what he had for breakfast or where we stayed on our last vacation. Pick a random photo from the early 1970s to present and his memory is drat near...well, photographic. Only twice when I've asked him has he said "I have no idea where that is or when", and in one of those instances we discovered it was someone else's photo, he just developed it. It's weird, but has been very very handy when it comes to meta tags and organization.

smoke weed everyday, preferably in front of the police station.

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Feb 20, 2015

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

MrBlandAverage posted:

Whole roast pig in Bali:

Proper barbecue is the closest we have to a universal language.

Crime story time.
1990; a man is shot in a convenience store parking lot. The investigation is a bit stalled because no one saw anything and there's not much in the way of physical evidence.

A few days later, the ol' man stops at a local creek to check out the water level and whatnot (spring and summer meant fishing every Saturday morning when I was a kid, and thanks to his job taking him anywhere and everywhere in the county it was a good way to find new spots).

Something catches his attention in the weeds next to the creek; a wallet. He walks down the embankment and picks it up for a closer look; the ID inside belongs to the man who was shot in the convenience store parking lot. He drives to the nearest payphone and calls the cops.

...and gets enlisted for a little bit of evidence gathering. Between the tire treads and fingerprints all over the dude's personal effects and discarded trash, they get a suspect. He eventually goes to prison for murder.

1974; a woman has been shot. Police and detectives arrive on-scene.

The turning point for the investigation comes when...the murderer comes strolling down from up the street to turn himself in. Thanks, pal!

This one was, I believe, a natural death...I post it only because of the majestic hair on display.

"Securing the crime scene" wasn't that much of a thing in the 70s as I found out. Take this instance, where a hunter found skeletal remains in the woods. The cops on-scene ask my dad to poke around while he's shooting and tell them if he finds anything (a necklace was what he found while strolling about). This stretch of woods was apparently to our area what Leakin Park is to Baltimore; plenty of bodies dumped, and at least one "hunting accident".

The police once showed up to raid a speakeasy-type place; all I know about it is they had no liquor license despite being a pretty popular dive bar that you could only get in if the right people vouched for you. Anyway, word got to the owners (dad insinuated that more than one local cop was among the clientele) and when the cops arrived ready to raid the place....they instead spent an hour trying to get in through all the locks that had appeared on the door overnight. When they did, there wasn't a drop of booze in the place.

Until Sunday, remember kids, smoke weed at the police station every day.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

That's what happens when you listen to the scanner 24/7...you beat the coroner's photographer or save the cops from doing their own photos. Of course that all ended in the 90s, now it doesn't matter how any cops you know, you ain't getting in there. But as some future photos will graphically demonstrate, they used to let just any lookie-loo stomp around a scene.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

This caused a bit of a flap, to put it politely. But pops and this cop are totally bros now :glomp:

Not knowing what actually happened here, I'm going to just assume it was load-bearing drywall

On to the fire folder. This model of car had a lot of magnesium in the engine block. They apparently did not teach the rookie that putting water on burning magnesium is among the lousiest ideas.

Maybe he was concentrating on his parade float idea when they taught that in firefighter school

This shot was another NC Press Award winner

But I actually like some of the other shots from the same fire better

One evening at the bar, dad got a call (the Coroner knew if you couldn't get him at work or at home, Larry's was the next best bet) about a newsworthy fatal house fire. Since he was only a couple of beers in, he went.
Remember what I said about how they weren't all that concerned about keeping a scene clear back then?

Here we see the coroner looking down at the charred remains of the occupant...and the lookie-loos peering in the window like it was a basic day.

Again, not a framed photo in the background, just some neighborhood kid wanting to peep the Crispy Critter on the floor.

His work done, dad returned to the bar and resumed drinking beer and watching basketball. He wondered why the bartender wasn't as chatty as usual...ten minutes later he looked from side to side and noticed that everyone on either side of him had cleared out and moved somewhere else in the bar.

Only then did he realize that it's probably a good idea to change clothes after you've spent some time with a freshly-burned corpse.

On that cheerful note, I'll stop for now with another in the "ironic license plate" series

(in case the resize made it too hard to read: "DON'T LAUGH, IT'S PAID FOR")

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Huxley posted:

Mom had me scan in my grandfather's slides. Among a lot of "here is everyone standing in front of a car, standing in front of a house" shots, there were some gems. These are all either Kodachome or Ektachrome ranging from the mid 60s to mid 70s.

that color tho :allears:

The first recorded Zatanna cosplay

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

I love this particular subgenre of photo; the one where I ask "is that a dead body?" and he says "no, that's <so and so>, who was drunk and/or weird enough to take a nap there."

At first I thought it was crime news; then I found out it was actually just a wreck and this dude was being transported in a cop car that was involved in the wreck

Speaking of cops and wrecks, the cop involved in this nasty wreck from 1979 survived and returned to work fairly quickly. He was still a local cop when he was killed in a motorcycle accident during a parade in 2013.

I didn't even realize until much later, when pops told me, that that was none other Francis Bavier, Aunt Bee from the Andy Griffith Show, sitting there.

DID YOU KNOW? The Andy Griffith Show is pretty much a religion in NC; even the non-observers know "'Sorry' won't bring back those birds' momma, Op" the way atheists know the gist of the bible.
DID YOU KNOW? Francis Bavier had a reputation as a real bitch, though dad says she wasn't particularly bitchy (nor particularly nice either) at this event.

Non-Human celebrity time:

This monkey was apparently a big enough deal that....his owner/trainer whatever took him around a bunch of downtown banks and restaurants for reasons I still don't really fathom.

Random "people being people" shots, leading off with another prizewinner and personal fave (whose negative was, unfortunately, not well looked-after):

(Great photo? No, but the kid's face with the football kills me)

And finally, a damaged negative that got even more damaged as I cleaned it that I posted in the scanner thread, turning a run of the mill landscape into a stygian horror, a peek into the vast black islands of space mankind was never meant to explore :kheldragar:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

DJExile posted:

100% this. Your dad took some amazing shots and the stories are the best.

Thank ya. I am, sadly, running out of the more crime/fire sort of news (or at least the most interesting ones have already been posted) so it'll be a lot more people/landscape stuff from here out

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

This was in a slipcase marked wrecks; it looks more like a shooting to me. Dad says it was hit and run. His memory on these is pretty ironclad, but I swear that doesn't sound right. Anyway, remember what I've said about securing the scene.
:nws:Linked due to possible NWSness; the body is covered, but a little chunk of what looks like brain matter is on the pavement :nws:

Yeah guys, just uh, stand more or less in the puddle of blood and get a good look.

Celebrity sighting time, some minor, some not so much.

This is writer and illustrator Glen Rounds, who may not be all that famous, but was a fixture when I was a kid, both around town and on my bookshelf. He and dad were pals since the early 70s since Rounds would illustrate a bit for the paper. Somewhere I have home video of when he was vacationing just down the road from us while we were vacationing in 1998.
Anyway, check him out sometime, I still find his style pretty charming and he definitely has a pretty interesting life story (how many other 80s kids ever got to meet someone who actually did real Oregon Trail poo poo, hung out with Jackson Pollock, and worked as a cowboy??). I also still have quite a few of his books autographed. This was part of a set of "we get the opinion of you, the man on the street" type things that the editor usually made the interns do.

Being around Pinehurst, golf was always big. People are always surprised when they find out I'm from there and neither play, watch, or follow golf. Most natives I knew didn't. Either way, it was still a thing that brought a handful of minor celebrities to town. Pictured here, the Golden Bear himself, Jack Nicklaus:

Nicklaus and his faithful caddy Dr. Wily

Sam Snead

When the World Golf Hall of Fame opened in 1974 it brought a few out. President Ford, for instance

He wasn't all that popular.

The Hall of Fame had a tournament every August/September that dad enjoyed working, even though he wasn't very fond of working golf tournaments or the sport itself, because it brought out some minor/not-minor celebs.

Evel Knievel, signing autographs and hanging out with the Rescue Squad (whom he spent more time with than he did on the course)

Barney Fife himself, Don Knotts. Knotts wins 2nd place in his "Nicest Celebrity" rankings; he says he was just chill as hell, joking with the blue hairs and greeting everyone with a big old aw-shucks grin, even when they were interrupting something.

Chatting with Fred MacMurray

(in case you're curious, Tiny Tim comes in first place, even though he was "shy as hell". Every time I bring a new CD-R of scans over, he bemoans the fact that he doesn't know where the negatives are of Tim serenading a family friend)

For his wedding, Tommy Burleson of NC State's 1974 NCAA Championship team came to town. He's a 7 foot 2 man-monster who drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls (just kidding, that's Roy Williams). He's better known as a christmas tree farmer nowadays). This may not be celebrity status in much of the country, but here it's a bigger deal than the NBA, NFL, and MLB put together.

I have no idea who this is, but he looks familiar...

WAIT, THAT'S IT!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Postscript: The photo of Gerald Ford doing a ribbon cutting with giant novelty scissors sums up his Presidency pretty well, I think.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

The man closest to the camera, holding the sheet, has bare feet :stare:

So? It's just blood and crucial evidence.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Random "people being people" shots, leading off with another prizewinner and personal fave (whose negative was, unfortunately, not well looked-after):

So I found out an interesting story about this one; as I said, this one was a press award First Place winner one year. Now, 35+ years later, I find out that one of the kids in the photo still calls the house on a regular basis, demanding his share of the massive fortune that resulted.

Thing is, there is no fortune, massive or otherwise...the North Carolina Press Association does not give out cash prizes. Your prize is a nice certificate, and a photo op shaking the Governor's hand alongside your editor. The only money earned by this photo was the standard weekly salary received when it was shot circa 1974. However, this kid grew up to be so completely batshit mentally ill that when he goes off his meds, he occasionally calls the house demanding his share of all that imaginary money or else he'll burn down family members' houses, and he has the FBI on his side investigating the whole thing, with everyone under surveillance.

This has gone on for years, and I never knew a thing about it until I mentioned that photo to my mother this weekend. When I asked dad about it, his only comment was "oh, yeah, him. He's crazy as hell. Schizophrenia I think. *changes TV channel*" :stare:

Anyway.

I have no idea what sparked this altercation, or why none of the guy being wrestled to the ground's friends in the background seem to care (there's 7 or 8 photos in this sequence, and they all have the same bored expression)

Fun Fact: the cops wrestling and arresting the guy are from a different town/jurisdiction, who were presumably called in because the town the photo was shot in had one cop.

Not one cop on duty at any given time, one cop, period. Full stop. Hence why flagrant rule-breaking and anarchy like the following broke out.

(that dog hates snitches.)

No clue about context on the first one, the second one is just a standard Fourth of July shot. I share it for, again, majestic hair.

The back area of the newspaper office, much much cleaner, much much better lit, and much less cluttered and scary than I remember it from my childhood. As advances in printing moved forward over the years, old equipment moved out here to stay. Some of this poo poo was pretty cool, probably very valuable to the right collector, and sadly I have no idea where any of it went after they gutted and renovated the whole place in 1998/1999.

A scene from an office Christmas party, mid-late 70s. It kind of bowls me over that people could get away with drinking at work back then, but bowls me over more that the editor can be seen in other photos just laughin' it up as they do.

One of my fave landscapes that they used on a calendar cover in 2009

I end this post with another all-too-common find in the archives: the Wonderful Creep Shot :q:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

elgarbo posted:

It's important journalism, man!

"Daisy Dukes: Communist Plot, or Perversion for Profit? A 5-Part Investigative Series"

EDIT: Remember, it's all fun and games until you're caught

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Mar 1, 2015

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Portrait I liked of some random dude

Time-travelling hipster, circa 1973

Alcohol

Good 'ol Carter-era gas lines

The most majestic hair a white kid in the early 80s could have

Until next time, remember, we don't care for your kind 'round here.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

DJExile posted:

that is the pro-est hair on that kid

The breathtaking majesty of that hair being tossed in the light breeze cannot be captured in a still photo. Note, however, that the beauty of such a spectacle has rendered his companion unconscious.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Ostriches: The Sassiest Birds

Our cat Scotty was enlisted for the Halloween photo every. single. year. The fact that he usually looked like Snoopy doing his vulture pose helped.

One of our other cats, Not Scotty (and yes that was his name) had more important poo poo on his mind.

Horses and Livestock are always a good way to jazz up a landscape

The old man hated graduation photos. Given the average student at my high school, I understand.

Also a fall staple: kids and pumpkin patches

Until next time *spit*ding*

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

More crime time. This was the dramatic conclusion to a hostage situation. This lady had spent half her day tied up in this lovely trailer, the cops manage to bust in and flush the guy out, she bolts from the residence.

Despite all this trauma, she stopped cold after a shot or two, pointed at dad, and started screaming "HE'S TAKIN' PITCHTERS OF ME!!!" at the cops.

I'm not sure how the old man found out, but Eddie Hatcher and Timothy Jacobs (two criminals who were fairly notorious in NC in the late 80s due to taking 17 hostages to protest corruption in the Robeson County Sheriff's Department and other county offices; they weren't wrong, as that county has been dirty as gently caress for decades) were at the Howard Johnson in town. Pops parked in the parking lot, told little 10-year-old me in the back seat to lay down and be quiet, and snapped off a couple of creep shots.

Not really a crime, but a suicide. The proprietor killed himself with a single shot to the temple; the part-time employee who found him was a recovering alcoholic. She didn't just fall off the wagon that day, but threw herself off and never got back on. I pondered whether or not to post the photo of the body, because it's weird and a little haunting (my sister says it's "creepy as hell"...were it not for the handgun in his lap and blood coming down the side of his head, you would think he was taking a ridiculously peaceful nap. I decided against it because even though it was 40+ years ago he probably still has family who knew him around and it feels a bit skeevy.

Dead body? Nope, drunk dude.

Don't know the deal here.

Up in pottery country

Our next door neighbor in 1982, when out of nowhere at the end of March we got 8 inches of snow (which is just plain weird for the area)

I just play "Copperhead Road" while scrolling through these.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Pham Nuwen posted:

I don't know who has the rights to these photos (your dad or the newspaper) but I'd buy a book of them... call it "Crime Scenes and Creepshots - 25 Years of Small-town Photojournalism"

We're up to 47 technically, but enough chunks of the archive are missing in action (or outright destroyed; he didn't used to keep the negatives so pre-1972 is mostly a wash...when I chided him for this, he responded that he had no idea at the time that 40+ years later he would regret not cataloguing things better, much less have half an autist of a son that wanted to scan the complete thing) that 25 is probably more accurate.

I did once ask him about rights, suggesting that he do a book (a book of landscapes alone would be a best seller amongst local old farts) and all he could do is shrug; when he started in 1968, that wasn't the sort of thing a small-town paper really concerned itself with or worried about. When they were bought in 1997/1998, there was probably something in whatever paperwork he had to sign with the new company. I wonder if they only have the rights to the published images or everything, for that matter.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

My favourite picture from the set - Grampa being ultra-cool with his cousin (said cousin is still alive and actively farming at the age of GoddamOld - I think he's about 95).
Leyland and Marshall 1930's by Craig Brummell, on Flickr

Everything about this rules. It's like a trophy photo, only instead of a dead Bonnie and Clyde or whatever, there's a bike. That bike won't trouble you good citizens any more.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

elgarbo posted:

That's rad! I can only assume he was planning on getting two tapes going in tandem for some some quadraphonic stereo goodness.

That is way harder than you can ever imagine. I wasted my time trying so you don't have to.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Having largely exhausted the people/crime/exciting stuff scans I currently have, and being on a semi-hiatus in scanning new ones (warm weather means I'm Doin Thangs), I guess I'll toss up some landscape and streetscape type stuff.

Ladies love a dude with a camera, a case of beer, and a copy of Dark Side of the Moon in his car.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Hopefully the new boxes have some interesting stuff. The last box, 1992, had...churches. Fuckton of churches. "Hey. Pops." I say. "What's with all the churches?" "Some minister was collecting photos of every church in the county for a book or something, I dunno what. He paid $10 per picture, so yeah why the hell not."

I never want to see another church again.

EDIT: Holy gently caress why did I make that so big

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 13, 2015

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Don't be blasphemous, please. Steeplebutt is clearly the logical choice.

EDIT:
It actually worked better than expected

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 14, 2015

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Just found this thread today. Loving everything, especially the NC photos (I grew up not too far from this). Rev Bleech_, I know a history archivist in the Triangle- if you and your dad are interested in donating these I think it would be really a really fascinating collection.

Cool...I'll float it by him, but I'm not really sure if the paper technically retains ownership of pre-1996 shots or not. I'll try and find out.

Forgive the miserable condition of the negatives, but I found a roll in a box that the old man has mentioned to me several times but thought was lost forever, but it needs a little bit of explanation.
See, in the ridiculously wealthy part of the county, just a block from homes that sometimes go for over a million dollars and less than a mile from the site of several prestigous golf tournaments sits a bar. This bar is called The Tater Barn, seen here circa 2014 along with its' single Google review.

Looks like they've classed the place up the last few years with vinyl siding but make no mistake, this place is the diviest dive that ever dived, completely out of character with the surrounding community. Until he steps in the door here, Greg Louganis will not truly know what "dive" means. It's maybe 400-500 square feet and populated by creepy boozehounds. When I say "creepy" I mean creepy in a Lovecraftian sense; there's something so off about them* that you half expect to find an altar to Dagon where the jukebox would be in a normal bar, the yellow-skinned barflies chanting fell passages and tossing offerings of Milwaukee's Best at it. That reviewer? I imagine him walking out of the place the same way Ronette walked down the railroad tracks in Twin Peaks.

Dad mentioned these photos from the early 80s after I had delivered pizzas here one night (I had to share my revulsion with someone), but believed them lost. You see, one night a fire broke out next door to the Tater Barn. Unfavorable wind conditions managed to start the back of the Tater Barn itself burning. People usually try to get out of burning buildings.

Not at the Tater Barn; after a few minutes of gawking the dedicated alcoholics went back inside and resumed drinking as the firefighters were working to extinguish the back of the building.

I like to imagine that some fat lazy eyed dude was playing "Nearer My God to Thee" on a mouth harp just out of frame. The Tater Barn still inexplicably stands, in the midst of a community that literally codifies what colors you can paint your front door and forbids visible playground equipment in back yards

* - My father knew at least one patron of the place in the 70s and early 80s; a local painter and alcoholic who appeared in the local hardware store the day Martin Luther King Jr. was killed, whereupon he purchased several cans of sterno and told the clerk he was "celebrating". You do the math.

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 25, 2015

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Defenestration posted:

Babby is drinking a beer that begins DREW--- any idea what brand that would be?

wanna party with this babby

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

A young Wilford Brimley plies his wares at the annual horse race wherein everyone got hammered and no one actually watched the horses

Sure, having three young girls in your trunk was "cute" back then, but I do it now and busybody judges get involved.

As I've said before, never get into a fight with a train; you'll lose and the train won't even know there was a fight.
Dad actually knew these two; they lived across a lake from a childhood friend of his, and the male half of the couple was quite the screeching rear end in a top hat who would come flying down the driveway if anyone even approached within 100 feet of his property line, and his girlfriend was a much younger, timid thing.
Showing this to my father earlier this year, I heard him mumble "yell at everybody now, you mouthy bastard" at the monitor.

Hit by a car? Fat Cop don't Give a gently caress.

Loading docks are a great place for nappin'

Everyone in this photo died of dysentery shortly thereafter. They're in a mass grave outside of town. Some say that if you visit at night, the the scent of peperony and chease can be detected on the breeze.

You expect to find certain things in your dad's photos; an apparently time-travelling Craig Robinson is not one of them

White people. :rolleyes:

Another in the "landscapes I dig" series

A young North Carolinian destined for Great Things

...and two cars behind her, living, breathing proof that the Throne of the Lord sits empty

My dad's best pal, circa 1974. This is apparently how they spent their weekends. And he says I wasted *my* youth.

I leave you with some interesting negative damage that I couldn't clean off, which just so happened to be on a photo of two super rad dudes.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Shellman posted:

Good dad pics, bad trigger discipline

on the plus side, it's only a BB/pellet pistol. Still, remarkable that no one ever lost an eye during all this weird drunken debauchery

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

A change of pace due to the fact that I've caught up my scanning for now (the 4 boxes packed with 1996 and 1997 in the garage still looming over me like a thundercloud), and the fact that I skeeved his 2004-2015 photo archive off his PC over christmas.
Apologies that these are newer, but I think some of them are interesting at least.

From March 2008, I was shocked he never told me about this one. Though given his political leanings, I shouldn't be surprised.

Though hard to see at the resolution I shrank it to, a certain affable peanut farmer returned to town for a funeral a few years ago. As you can probably guess by the glowering sunglassed men, the Secret Service wouldn't allow him any closer.

Talk about your undignified exits; two WWII vets nearly get backed over by an idiot in a Suburban during the St Patrick's Day Parade. Sorry "20 $ DOG", you lose today (subsequent shots show they're on a traffic median, not actually in the street)

From the same parade, a kid that doesn't give a gently caress.

I have no clue why there was a serious altercation over flowers, but here we are.

Random/Weird People Being People

:catdrugs::catdrugs::catdrugs::catdrugs::catdrugs::catdrugs::catdrugs:

North Carolinians understand.

Alocholic North Carolinians will understand In case you missed it, that's 4 cases of Busch stacked up on that DUIcycle

Dad is not above a cheap joke when it falls in his lap.

Nor tugging at the ol heartstrings.

Cat Tax?

Merry Belated Xmas Goonz

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

My scanning pace has slowed way down, and the mid-90s aren't as interesting, but still some stuff of interest.

Once upon a time, before NASCAR was the gleaming behemoth devoid of personality that it is today, small town newspaper press passes could still get you into the infield.
Pictured: goddamn american hero bahgawd

Pictured: the Fastest Man Alive

Finding this little series delighted me; a brush fire breaks out in a local trailer park. The residents come out and use a rake (useful for brush fires, but not the way this guy is using it) and brooms and mops to fight it.

The fire department showed up eventually as did this magnificent sonofabitch, clad only in boxer shorts and a shower cap

From the "People Being People" file

The Landscape file

And the "landscape only I could care about because this was once a beautiful spot for stargazing, and now 20 years later it's a subdivision" file:

EDIT:
And this one isn't old, it's from a house fire this past March, but I like it. :ohdear: ...he turned out okay IIRC

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 20, 2016

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Catsby posted:

And lastly, my favorite picture of my grandfather, hanging out in his boat.

Now that's a three hour tour *I* would sign up for.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

You see, one night a fire broke out next door to the Tater Barn. Unfavorable wind conditions managed to start the back of the Tater Barn itself burning. People usually try to get out of burning buildings.

Not at the Tater Barn; after a few minutes of gawking the dedicated alcoholics went back inside and resumed drinking as the firefighters were working to extinguish the back of the building.

Just an update to say that if you look this place up on Google Maps, you'll discover that time is indeed a flat circle

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

having a kid of my own is cramping my style vis-a-vis posting old scanned negatives. But the old man did hand me a thumb drive today with some 2004-2012 stuff salvaged from work.

Another failed political campaign, featuring a local boy who was not yet sunk by scandal

he mad

it took me a minute to figure out why he thought to give me this one. Her eyes are up there, kid

beats me.

Sometimes, there is no why.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Hilariously, this is one of the most controversial front page photos the paper ever ran. Pearl-clutchin' bluehairs were mighty offended at what this dog was doing.

Crawling through more of the ol archive that came to light recently, this lady and her dog made another appearance one July 4th

Also I was thrown for a loop when I found this in there.

Unremarkable photo, but a little unnerving when you know what this piece of poo poo did to get there, one of the rare local crimes to make national news. The immediate aftermath is one of only three things I can think of in the last 20 years that shook him to cover, and that's pretty hard to do.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Don't know what this guy was arrested for, but he's definitely lookin sharp

ARMED AND FABULOUS

Old Hippies, 1996 Christmas parade

Misc

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

SoundMonkey posted:

Has your dad ever played the cop in West Side Story? If not why not?

Because the guy he took the picture of took the role

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

legit looks like a screencap from a crappy '60s Italian horror movie. NO ONE SURVIVED PORPOISE ATTACK ON OUTRIGGER ISLAND

• Locked thread