Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i remember when i was a little kid my old man had me do one of those magazine games where they printed the code for a game in a magazine, and you typed the code in yourself. pretty sure that was on a commodore 64. i don't remember the game, i want to say it was something to do with tanks.

when i was a kid i had a lot of sleepwalking and sometimes night terrors too. some of the most vivid ones were about video games. when i was very young i remember watching my dad play a c64 game called Mountain King. in that game, on the bottom level, are these giant spiders that will chase you, and if they catch you they will wrap you in their web at first, and then they come back and devour you. one night i had a nightmare where i was being chased by a giant spider, and my legs started pumping because i thought i was running. well, my legs got wrapped up in the blankets so they couldn't move much, so in the nightmare this translated into the spider having caught me and started to wrap me up. of course, i start flailing in terror, and manage to roll myself off the bed and get even more tangled up, and now i think i'm really being wrapped up. my parents had to come wake me up because i was screaming hot bloody murder.

i also remember when i was like 10 years old and we had a ~*color bubblejet*~!! printer which seemed like hot poo poo in 1995 and i wanted to print out some birthday invitations so my old man wrangled a VCR into his office computer room and plugged it into the video capture card and we got a few fuzzy screencaptures off our Star Trek 2 videotape he'd recorded off of HBO or Showtime in the early 80s and i banged up some shoddy invites with them

anyway post your kid computing stories or something idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
lol???

edit as to not bump:

quote:

At first, the combination of beef with cheese and tomatoes, which are sometimes used, may seem bizarre. If you reflect a bit, you'll understand that the combination is sound gastronomically.

newreply.php fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 10, 2015

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i remember when i was a little kid my old man had me do one of those magazine games where they printed the code for a game in a magazine, and you typed the code in yourself. pretty sure that was on a commodore 64. i don't remember the game, i want to say it was something to do with tanks.

i tried to do this on a trash-80 where you had to enter assembler programs with basic lines like such:

DATA 08F 8B1 F43 E56 C22 C87 A15 223

and poo poo like that ad-infinitum, so two hours later I finally mash RUN and of course I hosed up a few times and the whole thing was a loving waste.

quote:

when i was a kid i had a lot of sleepwalking and sometimes night terrors too. some of the most vivid ones were about video games.

never had one of those until the original Wolfenstein 3D came out and I would dream about being trapped in that jail with GUTEN TAG guys around every corner. turns out my old man got the same terrors from it.

kids these days don't understand how mindblowing it was to see 3D graphics for the first time....

quote:

i also remember when i was like 10 years old and we had a ~*color bubblejet*~!! printer which seemed like hot poo poo in 1995

we used the 9-pin dot matrix printer from the TRS-80 well until 1998. it was a lot faster on a PC since you could use the parallel port instead of serial, but it still took about ten minutes per page, and looked like poo poo.

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
its tom colling :eyepop:

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

newreply.php posted:

its tom colling :eyepop:

yeah i'm here until someone posts you-know-what and then i'll gently caress off back to voat.co for another month or so

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tom Collins posted:

never had one of those until the original Wolfenstein 3D came out and I would dream about being trapped in that jail with GUTEN TAG guys around every corner. turns out my old man got the same terrors from it.

kids these days don't understand how mindblowing it was to see 3D graphics for the first time....

we used the 9-pin dot matrix printer from the TRS-80 well until 1998. it was a lot faster on a PC since you could use the parallel port instead of serial, but it still took about ten minutes per page, and looked like poo poo.

yeah my dad once told me he watched me sleepwalk around the house for like ten minutes. after a while he asked me what i was looking for and i mumbled "i have to find the elevator". pretty sure that was a Corridor 7 dream

and yeah we still had the old impact printer too. we used it to print off the BUILD map editor manual and FAQ that came with Duke Nukem 3D, because impact printing is so drat cheap. i think that printer wound up churning for like an hour.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Tom Collins posted:

yeah i'm here until someone posts you-know-what and then i'll gently caress off back to voat.co for another month or so

wtf is voat co

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

and yeah we still had the old impact printer too. we used it to print off the BUILD map editor manual and FAQ that came with Duke Nukem 3D, because impact printing is so drat cheap. i think that printer wound up churning for like an hour.

the sound those loving things make, jesus

Tiny Bug Child posted:

wtf is voat co

reddit's going to poo poo, SRS brigade taking over everything, voat.co is to reddit as reddit was to digg

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Tom Collins posted:

the sound those loving things make, jesus

reddit's going to poo poo, SRS brigade taking over everything, voat.co is to reddit as reddit was to digg

isn't SRS the people that make fun of redditors for saying horrible things? so voat co is a place for redditors to be even more horrible?

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

i mean as a free speech absolutist i support that wholeheartedly but it's also p lol

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
i disagree, Tom Collins: reddit.com still offers great and interesting content like this gem i found the other week:

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

Tiny Bug Child posted:

isn't SRS the people that make fun of redditors for saying horrible things? so voat co is a place for redditors to be even more horrible?

well this would greatly depend on one's definition of "horrible" now wouldn't it?

making fun of people or logically calling them out for being whatever you define as horrible is fine.
vote-brigading, abusing moderator powers, censorship, and shadowbanning people for it is not.

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

newreply.php posted:

i disagree, Tom Collins: reddit.com still offers great and interesting content like this gem i found the other week:

what in the ten hells of gently caress is any of that

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Tom Collins posted:

well this would greatly depend on one's definition of "horrible" now wouldn't it?

making fun of people or logically calling them out for being whatever you define as horrible is fine.
vote-brigading, abusing moderator powers, censorship, and shadowbanning people for it is not.

ok yeah i agree idk i thought they were just a goons.txt kind of thing

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

Tiny Bug Child posted:

ok yeah i agree idk i thought they were just a goons.txt kind of thing

nah it got hella worse. they turned the SJW up to 11. a little bit of it's a good thing, helps prevent m'ladyism, but when it dominates the discourse it's time for the reasonable people to leave.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ftw

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
the first internet forum i ever posted on was at annihilated.com, the then-premier fan site for Total Annihilation fans. one of the admins of that forum was Marco Arment

also i remember when i was in high school there was some local discussion board where high schoolers would get into flamewars a whole lot to the point where it would cause irl fights at school. like we're talking year 2000 here.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i was posting from the comp lab earlier and someone walked up asking "wtf is that? oh something awful, jesus thats still around lmorf"

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

Tom Collins posted:

what in the ten hells of gently caress is any of that

its the piping hot discussion/content aggregation site reddit

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

the first internet forum i ever posted on was at annihilated.com, the then-premier fan site for Total Annihilation fans. one of the admins of that forum was Marco Arment

also i remember when i was in high school there was some local discussion board where high schoolers would get into flamewars a whole lot to the point where it would cause irl fights at school. like we're talking year 2000 here.

total annihilation owns, so did annihilated.com

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

the first internet forum i ever posted on [...] like we're talking year 2000 here.

heh.pcx

I used to post on Tweak3D in the 90s when you actually had to tweak your 3D to play games properly, especially on my loving S3 ViRGE

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Captain Foo posted:

total annihilation owns, so did annihilated.com

agreed. major nostalgia there.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tom Collins posted:

heh.pcx

I used to post on Tweak3D in the 90s when you actually had to tweak your 3D to play games properly, especially on my loving S3 ViRGE

yeah yeah and editing autoexec.cfg to squeeze every last byte of conventional memory ;)

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tom Collins posted:

hahaha they literally just copied reddit's source code from git hub, this site's going places.

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

The Devil Tesla posted:

hahaha they literally just copied reddit's source code from git hub, this site's going places.

An admin said:

quote:

The code has probably changed a lot since the last time I looked at it, but it is all original code. Last time I was on consistently, WhoaVerse got hit by a DDoS which lead Atko to implement a safeguard to prevent it from happening again. Apparently, Voat got mentioned in Reddit not too long ago and it survived the dreaded Hug of Death. I'm confident that Voat will do just fine with higher traffic, so long as donations are steady to keep the servers up.

so it's no doubt a reddit rip-off visually, but the backend is different unless he's lying.

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

yeah yeah and editing autoexec.cfg to squeeze every last byte of conventional memory ;)

memmaker.exe is for loving scrubs that don't know how to arrange their UMBs

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

Tom Collins posted:

An admin said:

so it's no doubt a reddit rip-off visually, but the backend is different unless he's lying.

the visual style of reddit is in the top 3 of the worst things about it imo

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
http://www.reddit.com/r/subredditcancer/comments/2ve28o/thoughts_on_voat_reddit_alternative/cogt9u4

looking forward to infecting a new website

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

The Devil Tesla posted:

looking forward to infecting a new website

are you part of the infection force?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I am spooky skeleton coming for your free speech

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

The Devil Tesla posted:

I am spooky skeleton coming for your free speech

poo poo man someone told me we all actually have skeletons inside of us, isn't that so freaky and whoa?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i remember running windows 95 on a 33mhz 486 with 8mb of RAM. my display options were 640x480x16, or 800x600xsplitting headache

it was such a noticeable speed bump when my uncle gave me an engineering sample 486-DX2 at 66mhz, man. Earthworm Jim CD actually ran pretty smoothly after that!

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

i remember running windows 95 on a 33mhz 486 with 8mb of RAM. my display options were 640x480x16, or 800x600xsplitting headach

look at this fancy lad with his screen that did 800x600, i was personally just happy to eventually get a sweet-rear end Trident TVGA that let me do 640x480x65536 colours.

When I first saw a Targa .tga photograph on that monitor, I was blown away. An actual photo on a computer! It was a bald eagle, I'll remember that forever.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

i remember running windows 95 on a 33mhz 486 with 8mb of RAM. my display options were 640x480x16, or 800x600xsplitting headache

it was such a noticeable speed bump when my uncle gave me an engineering sample 486-DX2 at 66mhz, man. Earthworm Jim CD actually ran pretty smoothly after that!

oh man. i remember thinking linux was so cool because it let you run 1024x768 on a 14" crt!

for two days until your eyes literally caught fire and bled out

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

Jonny 290 posted:

oh man. i remember thinking linux was so cool because it let you run 1024x768 on a 14" crt!

for two days until your eyes literally caught fire and bled out

what was that program, xmodesel or something, and it popped up a warning about how it could literally make your monitor explode and shoot electrified chunks of glass into your face

...probably improve the appearance of most people that used it

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

i remember i burned up a crt trying to run Microsoft Pinball Arcade at 1024x768, there was a small amount of smoke and a lil black spot on top

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
you let the magic smoke out.

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

i thought that this was a jojo thread. very disappointed, op.

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

Widdiful posted:

i thought that this was a jojo thread. very disappointed, op.

what, uh, what's a jojo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
anime

• Locked thread