Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Rhythm Heaven Fever was released on the Wii in 2011, as the third Rhythm Heaven game (but only the second to make it to the west). It's basically WarioWare mashed with the Rhythm genre. It's weird. It's real weird. But it's also inventive, intuitive, and fun.

As a musician, Rhythm Heaven is really interesting to me. This isn't Rock Band or something like that, where you're actually holding a physical (fake) instrument. Rhythm Heaven is in no way a simulation. It's pure video game, through and through. It's simple enough for anyone to pick up and play, and the way it uses music and rhythm is fantastic.

Sure, I'll be playing each game in Rhythm Heaven Fever, but I also want to mix in some music theory as well, deconstructing each game, the rhythms they all use, how they use music, and throwing in some lessons along the way. Hopefully you'll learn something. Or at least feel smart because you knew all this stuff already. Music is way more complex and interesting than most people give it credit for, and Rhythm Heaven is a great way to show that off.

Videos

(Audio's a bit weird at the beginning there, but it gets better, I just had to move my mic on my desk.)

NO LISTEN TO ME fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

Heart Thumping Field Trip
BIG PANIC?
I literally bought this four days ago because I saw a lonely, still-sealed copy in a drawer at the place I work at and remembered it looking rad.

It is very rad.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Looking forward to this!

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Apparently in PAL regions this game is called “Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise” which is a dumb name. I'm sorry Europe.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
I'd get this game my I'm so rhythmically inept. :(

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Apparently in PAL regions this game is called “Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise” which is a dumb name. I'm sorry Europe.

Europe always gets the worse names for some reason.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

Heart Thumping Field Trip
BIG PANIC?
Either you get dumb names or you get the American cover art for Ico. I think they got a pretty okay deal.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

It is, but the PAL version includes both sets of games (the original JP games and the localised English versions) so it's the version to own. Sorry, America.

Graceful Graveler
May 18, 2009
I've played the first two games slightly obsessively, but I don't have a Wii, so I must feel the beat vicariously through other people's videos.

Also I really, really like the music theory approach, even if I'm afraid it may all go just a little over my head.

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
My cousin had this game, and at one point I made a different game to try it out. I got a medal on the first and second levels and everyone just was like "Woah! It took so long for me to be able to do that! You're so good that's so amazing."

But all I could say was "I messed up like three or four times one time and I am enraged and did not deserve any medals. 100% on the first try is the only way I can feel happy about myself."

I love rhythm games a lot, but I really push myself to perfection during them because otherwise the song isn't perfect and I am disappointed. I would play it again though if I had a Wii at my fingertips.

Also all of the music theory stuff is super cool! I remember some of this stuff during my school and college days, so I am happy to brush up on my memory and hopefully learn more later!

Charlett fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Feb 11, 2015

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

That was really fun. I play a bit of piano so I'm looking forward to more music theory.

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.
Music theory is something that has always interested me, and I can't wait until you get into more complex elements of it. I have seen next to none of Rhythm Heaven except for a parody that I saw a few years ago. One of them, was, funnily enough Rhythm is Magic: Foal In One

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
I know nothing about music theory and I love to learn new things so I'm going to follow this religiously.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I absolutely adore these games but stink at rhythm. This LP is a great way to still experience it. Learning about music theory is a very nice bonus, too.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

HomestarCanter posted:

Music theory is something that has always interested me, and I can't wait until you get into more complex elements of it. I have seen next to none of Rhythm Heaven except for a parody that I saw a few years ago. One of them, was, funnily enough Rhythm is Magic: Foal In One

Thank you for linking a pony video, guy with a pony name and a pony avatar.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
One the one hand, as a person who was in band through middle school and high school, I look forward to the music theory approach to this LP.

On the other hand, as a person who was in band through middle school and high school, I was ready for the pause in the first game to be over right about when you were explaining exactly what a time signature is. Not your fault, though, just mine for already knowing full well a fair bit about music theory just through reading and playing music for 8 years. Should still enjoy this LP quite a bit.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD_1tG4eSj0

Have the best Rhythm Heaven edit video none of the others matter.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

One of the edit videos that's always stuck with me is one that seems to have been lost to the internet - it was of Lockstep from the DS Rhythm Heaven, with stabbing Spies.

I cannot remember the name of it, and haven't been able to find it for probably at least a year.

That being said, I'm looking forward to how this proceeds.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD_1tG4eSj0

Have the best Rhythm Heaven edit video none of the others matter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpsezVsd0No
I have to contest that assessment.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

AweStriker posted:

One of the edit videos that's always stuck with me is one that seems to have been lost to the internet - it was of Lockstep from the DS Rhythm Heaven, with stabbing Spies.

I cannot remember the name of it, and haven't been able to find it for probably at least a year.

That being said, I'm looking forward to how this proceeds.

Tap Spy?

Anyway, this looks pretty cool! I wonder if you could play it blindfolded, going by audio cues alone.

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 12, 2015

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Davin Valkri posted:

I wonder if it's you could play it blindfolded, going by audio cues alone.

You absolutely can and some games I can do better at by not looking. Some games even obscure the screen so you can't see the visual cues anyway.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
This is very interesting, please keep it up.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Davin Valkri posted:

Tap Spy?

Anyway, this looks pretty cool! I wonder if you could play it blindfolded, going by audio cues alone.

Nah, Lockstep is different one. Also, I'm super glad to see this being LP'd, because I like the Rhythm Heaven games but am not particularly great at them. And know nothing of music theory.

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.

Waffleman_ posted:

Thank you for linking a pony video, guy with a pony name and a pony avatar.

Thank you for making a post with no relevance to the LP.

Speaking of, OP, can you give any hint as to what other music-theory topics might come up?

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
*clink* *whirr* ... Let's go!
*clink* *whirr-rrrr* Oh yeah!

Great, now that'll be stuck in my head forever. Thanks a lot, jerkface. :arghfist::mad:

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to think the music sounds sterile without the sound effects; I tried listening to Flockstep without sound effects and it was missing the extra something the sound effects brought to the party.

I'm really looking forward to seeing more of this LP; I don't know much about music theory, but it seems like a fascinating subject. (Also I totally caught that "(4/4) time works the same way" :arghfist:)

Leamonde
Aug 2, 2012
As a fellow musician (read: music student), this LP is quite relevant to my interests, so I'll be excited for what you introduce in later videos. Rhythm as a concept and its contribution to music just doesn't get enough credit.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

This is a pretty neat game, more so now that it's on the wii and becomes more of a game you can pass around. It's interesting how some people are able to just pick up the game and start racking up medals, while others just struggle to finish a stage. I don't think it's related to the interface, since you're just tapping, swinging or squeezing, so what's left is hand/eye coordination and rhythm. Kind of cool!

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
The TV might have something to do with it - my mom used to have her Wii hooked up to the TV in her bedroom, and she couldn't beat one of the games no matter how hard she tried. I offered to beat it for her and didn't do much better, even though I've earned every medal on the copy at home. We moved the Wii into the guest room, and I got the medal first try. I think there was just enough delay to throw off the input timing.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hmm... looks promising. One question, how deep down the rabbit hole are we going here? Like are we hitting the Skrillex depot before plunging through the main Dream Theater shaft to base jump into the caverns of Meshuggah, or will we just get a mild dose of Coldplay?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Karate Bastard posted:

Hmm... looks promising. One question, how deep down the rabbit hole are we going here? Like are we hitting the Skrillex depot before plunging through the main Dream Theater shaft to base jump into the caverns of Meshuggah, or will we just get a mild dose of Coldplay?

All Chopin, all the time.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Jsor posted:

All Chopin, all the time.

This man speaks wisely.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Karate Bastard posted:

Imagine if Weezer was still relevant in 2015

e: sorry for not tagging my nms

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I was gonna put together another video but there are suddenly dogs in this house that will be here for several days and they are very noisy dogs. They'll be gone by the end of the weekend.

Loop this 24/7 and you have my house

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

I was gonna put together another video but there are suddenly dogs in this house

The audio cues on them dogs are pretty dang fickle.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It is, but the PAL version includes both sets of games (the original JP games and the localised English versions) so it's the version to own. Sorry, America.

Specifically, it has English text but Japanese audio, if you so choose to play it (I did - I just prefer the original sound effects).

This is also a hella sweet game. By the way, there is a fourth rating you can get on a stage - Perfect - which requires you to not miss a single cue. You can only attempt to get it on a single stage at a time, which changes as you play - basically the game will challenge you with one of the stages you haven't gotten a Perfect on yet, and if you fail or ignore it, it'll offer some other stage next time. I enjoyed this game enough to Perfect every stage and remix, so that says something maybe about how good this game is. Or maybe how lame I am.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Specifically, it has English text but Japanese audio, if you so choose to play it (I did - I just prefer the original sound effects).

This is also a hella sweet game. By the way, there is a fourth rating you can get on a stage - Perfect - which requires you to not miss a single cue. You can only attempt to get it on a single stage at a time, which changes as you play - basically the game will challenge you with one of the stages you haven't gotten a Perfect on yet, and if you fail or ignore it, it'll offer some other stage next time. I enjoyed this game enough to Perfect every stage and remix, so that says something maybe about how good this game is. Or maybe how lame I am.

Yeah, I really don't like the way this game handles perfects. They should be available all the time after you get a superb, it was a pain in the rear end to wait for them.

I did a couple and was satisfied.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Yeah, I really don't like the way this game handles perfects. They should be available all the time after you get a superb, it was a pain in the rear end to wait for them.

I'm not even sure if there's a good reason why they're doing it this way? They must've had some reason for doing it this way, but I can't quite grasp what it could be.

Game's still sweet though.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I'm not even sure if there's a good reason why they're doing it this way? They must've had some reason for doing it this way, but I can't quite grasp what it could be.

Game's still sweet though.

v:geno:v just make you play longer I guess. Which is weird because it's a pretty good value anyway, I think this was a $30 or $40 game or something when it came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I think the idea with the Perfects is that if you do anything enough times, you're bound to get it right eventually. Monkeys and typewriters (or in this case, watches), and all that. By giving you only three chances at a time, the game requires that you display perfection on demand, indicating a significantly higher level of proficiency.

• Locked thread