Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

Heart Thumping Field Trip
BIG PANIC?
I sort of like it because it means you can't sit there for an hour getting increasingly frustrated as you fail repeatedly and have to restart. It lets you cool off, take a break, practice the game without any tension of needing to get it perfect then and there.

But then again it also means those three shots you get are super tense so eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I dunno how I didn't know this, but there's a game in the Japanese version that never made it to the english version, because it was too hard to localize, since manzai is a real cultural thing and probably filled with a bunch of impossible-to-translate puns.

Check these birds

The raw bgm is great too

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

I dunno how I didn't know this, but there's a game in the Japanese version that never made it to the english version, because it was too hard to localize, since manzai is a real cultural thing and probably filled with a bunch of impossible-to-translate puns.

Check these birds

The raw bgm is great too

This song is stuck in my head again. Setup Joke, Hai Hai...

But yeah, that game would have been hard to carry over and keep the same feel.

DaMangoSentinel
Sep 10, 2010

Do I have to do it like this?

While this is incredible, I gotta go with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4F7rj5DtfQ

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Check these birds

Oh yeah. So manzai skits in general are your classic "idiot and straight man" situations with a lot of back-and-forth. In essence it's the same as any double act you'd see in the west, except the staple jokes are different and it tends to revolve a lot around puns. (Not that western ones don't too - Who's on first?). The Rhythm Heaven manzai game consists solely of the worst kinds of lame "old man gag" type puns based on two words sounding almost the same, and this game would probably be impossible to translate if you wanted to stay faithful to that. The crow is obviously the straight man. Whenever the idiot does the pun properly, he just goes "yeah, yeah". Whenever he screws it up, the crow gets mad and shouts "donaiyanen!", which is a Kansai dialect thing (because manzai is closely associated with Osaka, many manzai performers speak Kansai dialect) basically amounting to an exasperated "what the heck?" or "what are you saying?" or "so what?". Just for the sake of curiosity, the first few are as far as I can figure:

布団が吹っ飛んだ - futon ga futtonda - "the futon was blown away".
みかんが見っかんない - mikan ga mikkannai - "can't see any tangerines", I think..? Sounds nonstandard.
お金はおっかねぇ - okane wa okkanee - "money is scary"

They're all like this. There's nothing meaningful about them, they're just dumb, stupid Kansai dialect puns.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Feb 17, 2015

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
Thanks for giving that little translation, it's really interesting. Would you mind translating one of the failed puns too?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

ThatPazuzu posted:

Thanks for giving that little translation, it's really interesting. Would you mind translating one of the failed puns too?

The boke bird is just saying the first half of the line and then going "baii~n" instead of following through with the pun. I don't know if this is supposed to be a reference to something or what it's supposed to be.

Some other puns from the game:

イクラはいくら? - ikura wa ikura? - "how much is the salmon roe?"
プリンがたっぷりん - purin ga tappurin - "a lot of pudding"
魚が、まさかなぁ - sakana ga, masaka naa - "no way, a fish?"
鳥肉は取りにくい - toriniku wa torinikui - "chicken meat is hard/expensive to get"
草が臭い - kusa ga kusai - "the grass is smelly"

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Feb 17, 2015

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

AweStriker posted:

One of the edit videos that's always stuck with me is one that seems to have been lost to the internet - it was of Lockstep from the DS Rhythm Heaven, with stabbing Spies.

Not lost to the internet at all! It's called "Luckstab" and it can be found at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMOPdEtd0PE

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Audio's better this time, I think. Also I'm hopefully gonna bang these out a bit quicker in the future.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The other time signature is going to be cut time, isn't it? Unless it's something completely bizarre like 5/8, but that's not exactly common.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Jsor posted:

The other time signature is going to be cut time, isn't it? Unless it's something completely bizarre like 5/8, but that's not exactly common.

:ssh:

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.
I really enjoy the changing emphasis on the SeeSaw one. I also like this variation of it. Sweet Date
Also, a variation on Double Date. Rhythm Pony - SeeSaw

Some of you may notice a trend in my links. Follow them or ignore as you like. I enjoy the TF2 versions that others are linking, too.

This really is an education in music theory, and I finally get to see what all the remakes are based on. Keep up the great work!

Edit: I didn't realize I was embedding, sorry about that.

HomestarCanter fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 19, 2015

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I've seen a few of these. Remix 4 seems to be the most popular to re-invent. Normally I can feel where the input should be in my bones, but See-saw I just cannot figure out. So if where the person lands modifies how fast the other person lands, but then there's the big leaps, and there doesn't seem to be a pattern...

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Added Space posted:

I've seen a few of these. Remix 4 seems to be the most popular to re-invent. Normally I can feel where the input should be in my bones, but See-saw I just cannot figure out. So if where the person lands modifies how fast the other person lands, but then there's the big leaps, and there doesn't seem to be a pattern...

Yeah, I think that if I were playing that game, I'd find the audio cues much more useful than the visual ones. I can kinda see how it works, but not fast enough to react appropriately.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
I do like the musical analysis and gameplay combo you have going here. But (not to be a pedant) I'm not sure if I agree with your conclusions regarding 3/4 and 6/8 time. 3/4 time CAN have each beat emphasized, but I'd say that different forms emphasize different beats. A waltz emphasizes the first beat of each measure, but something like a mazurka can particularly accent the second or third. And many of Johann Strauss Jr.'s waltzes have the 6/8 emphasis (ONE-and-a-TWO-and-a) while being written in 3/4 time. Case in point, the Blue Danube Waltz. It's especially noticeable around 2:48 or so.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind

Please don't poo poo up a cool thread with my little pony crap.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Yeah, I really hope you're not planning to post pony versions of the entire drat game. Maybe make a thread for it elsewhere? It's kinda tacky to derail the thread with it.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Davin Valkri posted:

I do like the musical analysis and gameplay combo you have going here. But (not to be a pedant) I'm not sure if I agree with your conclusions regarding 3/4 and 6/8 time. 3/4 time CAN have each beat emphasized, but I'd say that different forms emphasize different beats. A waltz emphasizes the first beat of each measure, but something like a mazurka can particularly accent the second or third. And many of Johann Strauss Jr.'s waltzes have the 6/8 emphasis (ONE-and-a-TWO-and-a) while being written in 3/4 time. Case in point, the Blue Danube Waltz. It's especially noticeable around 2:48 or so.

Yeah, there'll be outliers in any system, of course people will play around with the rules. It's why weird times exist in stuff like prog music, there's set conditions that most people use, but it's perfectly valid to bend them as well.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
In my experience playing and conducting, waltzes generally "feel" like ONE two three, ONE two three. Even in the underwater theme you played that's what my bones feel. (Though the backing is evenly stressed, when it works with the melody, I think it clearly stresses 1 on each measure). I also slightly disagree about 4/4. You're right about ONE two THREE four, but I think the third beat is generally less emphasized than the first. It's more like ONE two THREE four. When one and three are equal, you're usually secretly in 2/4 (e.g. for a lot of songs you'd file under "marches"). In general, the downbeat is usually the strongest IME.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

A note: You mentioned at the end that we've seen the first "column" of games now, which is true, but might be a bit confusing since you haven't shown the menu at all yet.

Lokapala
Jan 6, 2013
I find your description of 4/4 emphasis a bit strange, too. The third beat is nowhere near close to same emphasis as the first, if it is stressed at all.

Compare polka and samba with tango and cha-cha-cha: first two are 2/4, the other two - 4/4. (And here's a march, which is 2/2)

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.

Cathulhu posted:

Please don't poo poo up a cool thread with my little pony crap.

May I ask how this is any different from people posting Team Fortress 2 versions of videos, including ones that the OP hasn't even shown the original of? You can, you know, NOT click my links.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
For the record, you aren't posting links, you're embedding videos. You probably just have embedding turned off in the forum settings so they show up as links to you.

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

For the record, you aren't posting links, you're embedding videos. You probably just have embedding turned off in the forum settings so they show up as links to you.

Oh, poo poo, really? I apologize and will edit those to normal links.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Re: Time signature stuff, yeah, you're all pretty much right, I should've taken a more general approach to it instead of saying definite stuff. Oh well! I'll probably put in some annotations in the video just to correct myself. I'm still feeling this stuff out I guess.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Hey, has this been abandoned already? I would really like to see more of this game.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

TheDarkFlame posted:

Hey, has this been abandoned already? I would really like to see more of this game.

Bluh, no, this month's been weirdly rough for me, I'll get back to it eventually, promise.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

Heart Thumping Field Trip
BIG PANIC?

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Bluh, no, this month's been weirdly rough for me, I'll get back to it eventually, promise.

Looking forward to when you get back to it- but by all means take your time! Can't rush the beat!

Rats Tossbag
Jan 16, 2014

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

That's great to hear! I'm loving this LP so far.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Yeah, I really don't like the way this game handles perfects. They should be available all the time after you get a superb, it was a pain in the rear end to wait for them.

I did a couple and was satisfied.
They shouldn't be, because the game is testing your rhythm mastery. Your ability to go back and do it at the whim of the game is what matters here, nothing else. Probably also why you get only three chances at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, there are lots of unconventional time signatures.

It's interesting that some games seem to get the bulk of the challenge in the remixes. I didn't see any little white Screwbots or giant seesaw leaps.

• Locked thread