Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Rhythm Heaven Fever was released on the Wii in 2011, as the third Rhythm Heaven game (but only the second to make it to the west). It's basically WarioWare mashed with the Rhythm genre. It's weird. It's real weird. But it's also inventive, intuitive, and fun.

As a musician, Rhythm Heaven is really interesting to me. This isn't Rock Band or something like that, where you're actually holding a physical (fake) instrument. Rhythm Heaven is in no way a simulation. It's pure video game, through and through. It's simple enough for anyone to pick up and play, and the way it uses music and rhythm is fantastic.

Sure, I'll be playing each game in Rhythm Heaven Fever, but I also want to mix in some music theory as well, deconstructing each game, the rhythms they all use, how they use music, and throwing in some lessons along the way. Hopefully you'll learn something. Or at least feel smart because you knew all this stuff already. Music is way more complex and interesting than most people give it credit for, and Rhythm Heaven is a great way to show that off.

Videos

(Audio's a bit weird at the beginning there, but it gets better, I just had to move my mic on my desk.)

NO LISTEN TO ME fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Apparently in PAL regions this game is called “Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise” which is a dumb name. I'm sorry Europe.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD_1tG4eSj0

Have the best Rhythm Heaven edit video none of the others matter.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Davin Valkri posted:

I wonder if it's you could play it blindfolded, going by audio cues alone.

You absolutely can and some games I can do better at by not looking. Some games even obscure the screen so you can't see the visual cues anyway.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Karate Bastard posted:

Hmm... looks promising. One question, how deep down the rabbit hole are we going here? Like are we hitting the Skrillex depot before plunging through the main Dream Theater shaft to base jump into the caverns of Meshuggah, or will we just get a mild dose of Coldplay?

Imagine if Weezer was still relevant in 2015

e: sorry for not tagging my nms

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I was gonna put together another video but there are suddenly dogs in this house that will be here for several days and they are very noisy dogs. They'll be gone by the end of the weekend.

Loop this 24/7 and you have my house

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Specifically, it has English text but Japanese audio, if you so choose to play it (I did - I just prefer the original sound effects).

This is also a hella sweet game. By the way, there is a fourth rating you can get on a stage - Perfect - which requires you to not miss a single cue. You can only attempt to get it on a single stage at a time, which changes as you play - basically the game will challenge you with one of the stages you haven't gotten a Perfect on yet, and if you fail or ignore it, it'll offer some other stage next time. I enjoyed this game enough to Perfect every stage and remix, so that says something maybe about how good this game is. Or maybe how lame I am.

Yeah, I really don't like the way this game handles perfects. They should be available all the time after you get a superb, it was a pain in the rear end to wait for them.

I did a couple and was satisfied.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I'm not even sure if there's a good reason why they're doing it this way? They must've had some reason for doing it this way, but I can't quite grasp what it could be.

Game's still sweet though.

v:geno:v just make you play longer I guess. Which is weird because it's a pretty good value anyway, I think this was a $30 or $40 game or something when it came out.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I dunno how I didn't know this, but there's a game in the Japanese version that never made it to the english version, because it was too hard to localize, since manzai is a real cultural thing and probably filled with a bunch of impossible-to-translate puns.

Check these birds

The raw bgm is great too

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Audio's better this time, I think. Also I'm hopefully gonna bang these out a bit quicker in the future.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Jsor posted:

The other time signature is going to be cut time, isn't it? Unless it's something completely bizarre like 5/8, but that's not exactly common.

:ssh:

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Davin Valkri posted:

I do like the musical analysis and gameplay combo you have going here. But (not to be a pedant) I'm not sure if I agree with your conclusions regarding 3/4 and 6/8 time. 3/4 time CAN have each beat emphasized, but I'd say that different forms emphasize different beats. A waltz emphasizes the first beat of each measure, but something like a mazurka can particularly accent the second or third. And many of Johann Strauss Jr.'s waltzes have the 6/8 emphasis (ONE-and-a-TWO-and-a) while being written in 3/4 time. Case in point, the Blue Danube Waltz. It's especially noticeable around 2:48 or so.

Yeah, there'll be outliers in any system, of course people will play around with the rules. It's why weird times exist in stuff like prog music, there's set conditions that most people use, but it's perfectly valid to bend them as well.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Re: Time signature stuff, yeah, you're all pretty much right, I should've taken a more general approach to it instead of saying definite stuff. Oh well! I'll probably put in some annotations in the video just to correct myself. I'm still feeling this stuff out I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

TheDarkFlame posted:

Hey, has this been abandoned already? I would really like to see more of this game.

Bluh, no, this month's been weirdly rough for me, I'll get back to it eventually, promise.

• Locked thread