Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It is, but the PAL version includes both sets of games (the original JP games and the localised English versions) so it's the version to own. Sorry, America.

Specifically, it has English text but Japanese audio, if you so choose to play it (I did - I just prefer the original sound effects).

This is also a hella sweet game. By the way, there is a fourth rating you can get on a stage - Perfect - which requires you to not miss a single cue. You can only attempt to get it on a single stage at a time, which changes as you play - basically the game will challenge you with one of the stages you haven't gotten a Perfect on yet, and if you fail or ignore it, it'll offer some other stage next time. I enjoyed this game enough to Perfect every stage and remix, so that says something maybe about how good this game is. Or maybe how lame I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Yeah, I really don't like the way this game handles perfects. They should be available all the time after you get a superb, it was a pain in the rear end to wait for them.

I'm not even sure if there's a good reason why they're doing it this way? They must've had some reason for doing it this way, but I can't quite grasp what it could be.

Game's still sweet though.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

I dunno how I didn't know this, but there's a game in the Japanese version that never made it to the english version, because it was too hard to localize, since manzai is a real cultural thing and probably filled with a bunch of impossible-to-translate puns.

Check these birds

Oh yeah. So manzai skits in general are your classic "idiot and straight man" situations with a lot of back-and-forth. In essence it's the same as any double act you'd see in the west, except the staple jokes are different and it tends to revolve a lot around puns. (Not that western ones don't too - Who's on first?). The Rhythm Heaven manzai game consists solely of the worst kinds of lame "old man gag" type puns based on two words sounding almost the same, and this game would probably be impossible to translate if you wanted to stay faithful to that. The crow is obviously the straight man. Whenever the idiot does the pun properly, he just goes "yeah, yeah". Whenever he screws it up, the crow gets mad and shouts "donaiyanen!", which is a Kansai dialect thing (because manzai is closely associated with Osaka, many manzai performers speak Kansai dialect) basically amounting to an exasperated "what the heck?" or "what are you saying?" or "so what?". Just for the sake of curiosity, the first few are as far as I can figure:

布団が吹っ飛んだ - futon ga futtonda - "the futon was blown away".
みかんが見っかんない - mikan ga mikkannai - "can't see any tangerines", I think..? Sounds nonstandard.
お金はおっかねぇ - okane wa okkanee - "money is scary"

They're all like this. There's nothing meaningful about them, they're just dumb, stupid Kansai dialect puns.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Feb 17, 2015

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

ThatPazuzu posted:

Thanks for giving that little translation, it's really interesting. Would you mind translating one of the failed puns too?

The boke bird is just saying the first half of the line and then going "baii~n" instead of following through with the pun. I don't know if this is supposed to be a reference to something or what it's supposed to be.

Some other puns from the game:

イクラはいくら? - ikura wa ikura? - "how much is the salmon roe?"
プリンがたっぷりん - purin ga tappurin - "a lot of pudding"
魚が、まさかなぁ - sakana ga, masaka naa - "no way, a fish?"
鳥肉は取りにくい - toriniku wa torinikui - "chicken meat is hard/expensive to get"
草が臭い - kusa ga kusai - "the grass is smelly"

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Feb 17, 2015

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

A note: You mentioned at the end that we've seen the first "column" of games now, which is true, but might be a bit confusing since you haven't shown the menu at all yet.

• Locked thread