Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

The victims were Deah Barakat, his wife Yusor Abu-Salha and her sister Razan Abu-Salha. All three were students at UNC.

Deah was a dentist involved with the Syrian American Medical Society, and had been planning a trip to Turkey to treat Syrian refugees along with local doctors and members of the UNC School of Dentistry. You can donate to that project here.

http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fundraiser/syrian-dental-relief/206249

It made its goal within a few minutes of his name being released, but people are still donating in his honor.

Here's the latest story from local news.

quote:

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. -
Chapel Hill Police on Tuesday confirmed three people had been shot and killed in an incident that left residents on edge in apartments not far from the Friday Center off Highway 54.

At 5:11 p.m., the Chapel Hill Police responded to the report of gunshots in the area of Summerwalk Circle, which is where there are some apartments a few blocks off 54 and behind the Friday Center.

All three were dead at the scene. No names have been released but police said there was no threat to the public.

A man could be pleading with law enforcement on scene demanding to know the status of his son.

“Tell me how my son is! What's his situation? If he's dead, tell me he's dead! If he's alive, tell me he's alive! Just tell me, straight up!" the man yelled at authorities on scene.

The man said he was going to go in and check on his son even if it meant he would go to jail.

Residents of the apartment complex said they were in shock following the shooting.

UNC student Kristen Bowling said she was at home studying at the time of the shooting and never heard the shots.

“I'm really confused and I have been since 5:30," Bowling said.

Alert Carolina notified the UNC community shortly after 7 p.m. saying the shooting posed no ongoing threat.

Resident Daniel Waggoner said he has noticed suspicious activity recently.

He said a truck has been parked outside of a building at the complex lately.

“A couple of guys were walking through the neighborhood and I'm walking my dog, like I am now, and I heard them say to get a flashlight and take a look in this truck,” Waggoner said. “I was like, ‘Hey guys,' and saw me with the dog and sped off at about 60 miles an hour."

The Chapel Hill Police said they were "questioning a person of interest in the crime."

http://www.wncn.com/story/28075915/shooting-reported-in-chapel-hill

The real meat and potatoes of this thread is to see how media coverage unfolds if it the signs so far are accurate, and it does turn out to be a hate crime. I'd like to think we're above whitewashing the murderer in this case, but I'm not optimistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Craig Stephen Hicks, 46. Being held in Durham County Jail on 3 counts of 1st degree murder.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2015/02/10/4545775/three-people-shot-dead-in-chapel.html

From Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/craig.hicks.967

Interesting choice of a banner image.

From the father of one of the victims.

quote:

But the women’s father, Dr. Mohammad Abu-Salha, who has a psychiatry practice in Clayton, said regardless of the precise trigger Tuesday night, Hicks’ underlying animosity toward Barakat and Abu-Salha was based on their religion and culture. Abu-Salha said police told him Hicks shot the three inside their apartment.

“It was execution style, a bullet in every head,” Abu-Salha said Wednesday morning. “This was not a dispute over a parking space; this was a hate crime. This man had picked on my daughter and her husband a couple of times before, and he talked with them with his gun in his belt. And they were uncomfortable with him, but they did not know he would go this far.”

Abu-Salha said his daughter who lived next door to Hicks wore a Muslim head scarf and told her family a week ago that she had “a hateful neighbor.”

“Honest to God, she said, ‘He hates us for what we are and how we look,’” he said.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2015/02/11/4547742_chapel-hill-police-arrest-man.html?rh=1

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 11, 2015

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

There's no evidence of it being a hate crime yet? Right now it's just a triple murder, right?

e: Nice suit, I'd hire him to wack my spouse.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Feb 11, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
No, we're not sure of why yet, but as for who, it's almost certain this is the guy. Reportedly turned himself in.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

So it looks like this guy is a militant atheist who decided to murder random muslims...

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

So it looks like this guy is a militant atheist who decided to murder random muslims...

Well we know it was likely pre-meditated since he's being held on first degree murder charges. It could have just been a neighborly feud type thing, but it seems pretty clear at the least that he was a lot less sympathetic towards them than he would be of atheists. The women were hijabis, which tends to rub people like him the wrong way.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Volkerball posted:

Should be pointed out that this man is verified to have lived on the same street as the victims, so there may be some other motive.

One could say his hatred of other beliefs was almost... religious :agesilaus:

Also waiting for the inevitable terrible Dick Dorkins response tweet :munch:

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I guess his chin got out on bail

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Volkerball posted:

The women were hijabis, which tends to rub people like him the wrong way.

What the gently caress is that supposed to mean?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
How terrible :(

Volkerball posted:

Craig Stephen Hicks, 46. Being held in Durham County Jail on 3 counts of 1st degree murder.

If he's made his 'anti-theism' the main aspect of his personality that does suggest it's a motive, yeah. From his fb page, he mostly likes atheism, LGBT rights, other liberal stuff and BBWs. And a beard is not a substitute for a jawline, Christ.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Kaal posted:

He's just trying to burnish his more-liberal-than-thou cred.

croc suit
Nov 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
:gas:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Kaal posted:

Militant atheists are always harder on Islam. Look at Sam Harris and Dick Dorkins. They act like Islam is the scourge of the earth, and those two guys are writing the book. Hijabis are the manifestation of everything they think is wrong in the world. It's a symbol of oppression, backwards rear end religious thought, and theocratic Sharia-esque law. Nothing is more annoying to people who want to see as little religion as possible in society than people who wear their religion on them everywhere they go. As far as whether Craig Hicks fits the bill, just look at his facebook page. 2/3 if not more of his facebook posts over the last couple years are based around laughing at how stupid religious people are.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

north carolina hasn't done a gas chamber execution since 1998, but shaking things up could be interesting

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Volkerball posted:

Militant atheists are always _______.

Oh ok you're just being a bigoted piece of poo poo. Tell me more about what atheists are always doing. :allears:

Kaal fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Feb 11, 2015

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

croc suit posted:

Islam is the bad apple.

I wonder why you'd want this thread gassed?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Kaal posted:

Oh ok you're just being a bigoted piece of poo poo.

What? If you believe in tolerance towards religion, you're not a militant atheist by definition. It's a position defined by intolerance, so yeah, it's followers tend to be intolerant. It's like saying people in the Tea Party hate Obama.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
like what meaning do you derive from the word "anti-theist"

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

comes along bort posted:

He's just trying to burnish his more-liberal-than-thou cred.

V.B. has some sort of creepy hard-on for this story, which is probably why he didn't realize when he was posting a new thread dedicated to it that it was a terrible idea.

His jumping the gun like this just to beat his ideological meat gives off the same sort of vibe as the ":supaburn: MUSLIM JIHADI-NAZI LAUNCHES ISLAMO-ASSAULT ON AMERICA!!! :supaburn: " - :foxnews: story that usually turns out to just be an act of domestic or workplace violence committed by some Muslim-ishy lookin' brown guy.

croc suit
Nov 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

I wonder why you'd want this thread gassed?

There have been 9184 posts made by Sheng-ji Yang, an average of 26.78 posts per day, since registering on Mar 5, 2014. Sheng-ji Yang claims to be a porpoise.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
This person looks like an advertisement against the dangers of in-breeding.

Reserving judgment until more details actually come to light, though, who knows what this guy's deal was. Here's hoping he has a crazy manifesto to pick at instead of incoherent social media ramblings.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Volkerball posted:

like what meaning do you derive from the word "anti-theist"

Well apparently it means "Kill All Muslims" in your world.

I'm super looking forward to the insights of this great thread into the evils of "militant uber atheists that hate Islam just like Richard Dawkins who by the way is HitlerSatan".

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Kaal posted:

I'm super looking forward to the insights of this great thread into the evils of "militant uber atheists that hate Islam just like Richard Dawkins who by the way is HitlerSatan".

:laffo: I said most would scoff at a woman wearing a hijab. Not that they would start plotting to murder them.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Ok let's play guess his motive

my choice is "those muslamic invaders are going to syria to fight for daesh so preemptively kill them"

Volkerball posted:

Militant atheists are always harder on Islam. Look at Sam Harris and Dick Dorkins. They act like Islam is the scourge of the earth, and those two guys are writing the book. Hijabis are the manifestation of everything they think is wrong in the world. It's a symbol of oppression, backwards rear end religious thought, and theocratic Sharia-esque law. Nothing is more annoying to people who want to see as little religion as possible in society than people who wear their religion on them everywhere they go. As far as whether Craig Hicks fits the bill, just look at his facebook page. 2/3 if not more of his facebook posts over the last couple years are based around laughing at how stupid religious people are.

well depending on how the thing works out a fair law would not only ban hijabs in public but also crosses and/or tourists running around with loving surgical masks as if the spanish flu had returned~

Exclamation Marx posted:

From his fb page, he mostly likes atheism, LGBT rights, other liberal stuff and BBWs. And a beard is not a substitute for a jawline, Christ.

But enough about my facebook profile :goonsay:

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Here's a tip to stop coming across as a huge and ignorant bigot: Stop telling people about what "militant atheists" do, and how intolerant "militant atheists" are, and how much "militant atheists" hate Islam and hijabs, and generally acting like a prat. If you don't know what antitheism is, read about it. I don't know why you think that atheists are somehow an exception to the evils of blatant stereotyping, but stop and take a reality-check.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Kaal posted:

Here's a tip to stop coming across as a huge and ignorant bigot: Stop telling people about what "militant atheists" do, and how intolerant "militant atheists" are, and how much "militant atheists" hate Islam and hijabs, and generally acting like a prat. If you don't know what antitheism is, read about it. I don't know why you think that atheists are somehow an exception to the evils of blatant stereotyping, but stop and take a reality-check.

But antitheism sounds bad it must literally be as bad as Hitler Daesh :qqsay:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Kaal posted:

Where are all these so called "moderate" atheists then? How come they aren't condemning this attack, or protesting?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Volkerball posted:

Where are all these so called "moderate" atheists then? How come they aren't condemning this attack, or protesting?

Ah, back to being a complete piece of poo poo then. Voted 5 for doubling up on bigotry and trolling

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Volkerball on Charlie Hebdo posted:

Where are all these so called "moderate" muslims then? How come they aren't condemning this attack, or protesting?

Volkerball on US Evangelical sponsored Kill-The-Gays laws in Africa posted:

Where are all these so called "moderate" christians then? How come they aren't condemning this attack, or protesting?

Volkerball on Breivik posted:

Where are all these so called "moderate" white people then? How come they aren't condemning this attack, or protesting?

:v:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Kaal posted:

Ah, back to being a complete piece of poo poo then. Voted 5 for doubling up on bigotry and trolling

It's pretty obvious the vast majority of atheists follow extremist ideology. You can tell because there's no atheists who disavow extremist leaders like Dawkins and Harris. I sure haven't seen any. Atheism is just inherently an extremist dogma, because it advocates the end of all religion.

croc suit
Nov 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Volkerball posted:

It's pretty obvious the vast majority of atheists follow extremist ideology. You can tell because there's no atheists who disavow extremist leaders like Dawkins and Harris. I sure haven't seen any. Atheism is just inherently an extremist dogma, because it advocates the end of all religion.

Actually im a moderate atheist and just killing muslims is ok; the rest can stay

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
gonna be fun watching the christian right blame this on atheism and subsequent reddit meltdown

Kaal posted:

how much of a defensive little poo poo do you have to be to think people are slamming on atheists on something awful of all places

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Volkerball posted:

i want to take this post behind a middle school and get it pregnant

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Volkerball posted:

These posts are not as clever as you think they are.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
The forces of r/atheism and the forces of misplaced self-righteous leftist apology are now destined to clash.

Excellent.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

blowfish posted:

Ok let's play guess his motive

okay let's see, mostly bog standard crapple hill liberal interests according to his fb profile, went to community college in durham so probably a local and has definitely seen ladies in hijab before because they're all over the place in the triangle. inexplicably married so the disaffected loner angle seems unlikely

i'm gonna go with psychotic break from undiagnosed problem that'll seem obvious in retrospect

Popular Thug Drink posted:

gonna be fun watching the christian right blame this on atheism and subsequent reddit meltdown

three muzzies died i seriously doubt they'll give it two thoughts

icantfindaname posted:

north carolina hasn't done a gas chamber execution since 1998, but shaking things up could be interesting

he won't get it either since there's been a de facto moratorium since 07 due to a mess of legal challenges

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Feb 11, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Broken Cog posted:

These posts are not as clever as you think they are.

No you are....not as clever as.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UssJlhxBRLs

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

is... is this really what your mass media is like over there?

i'm a little intimidated right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

V. Illych L. posted:

is... is this really what your mass media is like over there?

i'm a little intimidated right now

As far as mass media, only FOX, and only when something happens to get them really pissed off. But yeah. It happens.

Edit: Well that escalated quickly. :stare:

https://twitter.com/ajplus/status/565453327853694976

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Feb 11, 2015

• Locked thread