Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Disinterested posted:

I don't know why all of you seem to be goonrushing so close to the incident, why not just wait and see what turns up in the investigation.

People like to tie poo poo up with a neat little bow as quickly as possible in a way that fits nicely into their world. It's a human thing, we all do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Jastiger posted:

gently caress gently caress gently caress this guy was on my facebook friends list. I wake up this morning to messages from a friend letting me know that this happened.

I didn't really know the guy and probably had him as a FB friend from religious discussions but seriously gently caress this so hard. How can this piece of poo poo go and do this to people?

In fairness, you'd be a good pick for "most likely to be friends with a murderer".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Let's all be cautious and wait for the facts when a white man commits a crime.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

computer parts posted:

I didn't assume that the Charlie Hebdo attack was committed by Muslims or non-White people. Please to be taking your straw man elsewhere.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
While I agree that we should wait and see what turns up I have difficulty believing someone would execute three people just over a parking dispute.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

computer parts posted:

Yes of course? Just as we should if a black or hispanic man(or woman) commits a crime, for example. Are you implying we shouldn't?

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Zeroisanumber posted:

Initial reports are that Hicks went berserk over an ongoing parking dispute. While it could very well be that he went on a "New Atheism"-inspired rampage, it could also be just another case of an aging white male feeling disrespected by a minority and deciding to correct the perceived injustice through murder.

Perpetrator upset about Muslim poverty and oppression, bombing and/or invasion of eight Muslim countries, hundreds of thousands of Muslim deaths: Offensive to even bring up, victim blaming, apologizing for the uniquely violent nature of Islam.

Perpetrator upset about parking space: whoa whoa let's not drop context here

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

The pleasant quiet on this board when MIGF is probated is nothing compared to the luxurious silence of Tezzor's absence.

Belome
Jan 1, 2013
As a moderate atheist, I condemn these awful actions and fully support your upcoming war that will lead to me being killed anyway.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Vaginapocalypse posted:

Some of the more extreme atheists, like Sam Harris, have advocated for a preemptive nuclear strike against Muslims and have defended the use of torture to combat the Muslim threat. It's kinda a bad thing when you start taking the same positions that Christalian fundamentalists take when it comes to possible existential threats.

That is not entirely accurate, even though I don't agree with him on either point as he actually phrased it. The pre-emptive strike was in a scenario where a group like, at the time, Al-Qaeda or some government with their values, had gotten their hands on nukes themselves and were preparing to start a world war with them, after earlier measures like tactical strikes or diplomacy had failed. To which I'd say it was probably a bit late for that measure to have a positive effect anyway.

He also advocated torture against terror suspects, not Muslims or Islam in general, as that post seems to indicate. Not that, as far as I know, torture actually works anyway. He's argued that it does, and may've provided some evidence for that, but I haven't had a time to check it out, nor have I heard most anyone say that point of view seems legit in light of that revelation. Beyond the whole "completely ethically amoral" bit of torturing other human beings.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

hepatizon posted:

In fairness, you'd be a good pick for "most likely to be friends with a murderer".

gently caress you man. It really bothers me that some random joe on my social media killed someone and it shows me as a "mutual friend". People are dead because of this rear end in a top hat and regardless of whatever posts are on SA, being associated with murder isn't funny nor taken lightly.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Disinterested posted:

I didn't assume that the Charlie Hebdo attack was committed by Muslims or non-White people. Please to be taking your straw man elsewhere.

Wait why? They were yelling "Allahu Akbar" in the street, and this guy was posting militant New Atheist rhetoric on Facebook. I think in both cases, by this time it was safe to assume that the killers were militant ideologues.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Wait why? They were yelling "Allahu Akbar" in the street, and this guy was posting militant New Atheist rhetoric on Facebook. I think in both cases, by this time it was safe to assume that the killers were militant ideologues.

Maybe I should have said 'presume', but until I saw the video I thought it was quite possible that right wing white guys had shot up Charlie Hebdo - that was my point. Membership in Daesh is not equivalent to liking Richard Dawkins on twitter so I sort of reserve judgement about the militant atheist rhetoric until something more comes up. Particular since his banner, while stupid, specifically says 'I respect your right to believe what you want' or whatever.

I fully expect to find out this guy was a closet racist or had a severe unmedicated illness or something else on top of the new-atheist stuff.

Vaginapocalypse
Mar 15, 2013

:qq: B-but it's so hard being white! Waaaaaagh! :qq:

Tezzor posted:

Perpetrator upset about Muslim poverty and oppression, bombing and/or invasion of eight Muslim countries, hundreds of thousands of Muslim deaths: Offensive to even bring up, victim blaming, apologizing for the uniquely violent nature of Islam.

It is hard to believe that the perpetrator wasn't at least somewhat influenced by his own extremist anti-religious beliefs. I don't consider the New Atheist movement to be more dangerous and violent than Christian fundamentalism, but it is undeniable that its more radical members have taken an aggressive stance to Islam that justifies extreme violence and torture.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

SedanChair posted:

False equivalence, association fallacy. The question remains if he murdered them because of Atheism, or if he was an Atheist that committed murder.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jastiger posted:

gently caress you man. It really bothers me that some random joe on my social media killed someone and it shows me as a "mutual friend". People are dead because of this rear end in a top hat and regardless of whatever posts are on SA, being associated with murder isn't funny nor taken lightly.

The real victim. :goonsay:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Disinterested posted:

Membership in Daesh is not equivalent to liking Richard Dawkins on twitter

Eh.

Broken Cog posted:

False equivalence, association fallacy. The question remains if he murdered them because of Atheism, or if he was an Atheist that committed murder.

He is a militant ideologue.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Sorry - I forgot my pbuh.

SedanChair posted:

Have you got something other than the stupid facebook banner? People who tweet about how awesome American Sniper was appear ostensibly more dangerous to me than that image.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Disinterested posted:

Have you got something other than the stupid facebook banner? People who tweet about American Sniper appear ostensibly more dangerous to me than that image.

Yeah, he shot three people. That's the "militant" part. The banner is the "ideologue" part.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

SedanChair posted:

Eh.

So? Still no apparent connection, you are jumping to conclusion based on no evidence. (Yes yes I know your entire existence in this forum is based on being a snarky smartass).

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Yeah, he shot three people. That's the "militant" part. The banner is the "ideologue" part.

I mean, yeah, but I'm still going to sit on the fence for a bit, if only because I enjoy the sensation.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Did Dick Dorkins condemn this yet?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

R. Mute posted:

Does Zoux hate gay people?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

R. Mute posted:

Yes.
https://twitter.com/RichardDawkins/status/565439089038852097

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Tezzor posted:

The fact that he's an Atheist may or may not be context.

computer parts posted:

Yes, let's.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

He certainly is an ideologue but I didn't see anything that even comes close to advocating violence on his Facebook page, indeed most of it including the banner is anti-violence. I mean it's perfectly possible he was motivated by anti-Muslim rhetoric but I don't see any real evidence for it as of yet.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Zeroisanumber posted:

The fact that he's an Atheist may or may not be context.

This is true as far as it goes but it also obstinately refuses to address the point that if the victims and perpetrator were reversed (Muslim with a bunch of intolerant religious opinions on his facebook wall guns down three atheists) it wouldn't even be put to question that he was motivated by his religious beliefs.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
It seems like it is irrelevant what he tought about muslims if that`s not what motivated him to kill. He is more like a killer who happens to be racist and rather than a racist killer.
This does not quite correspond the Charlie Hebdo killings since these were explictly idelogically motivated.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Tezzor posted:

This is true as far as it goes but it also obstinately refuses to address the point that if the victims and perpetrator were reversed it wouldn't even be put to question that he was motivated by his religious beliefs.

So naturally let's correct this sin by treating everyone equally badly!

Most of the people you've argued with on SA do not assume that people commit violent acts because they are Muslims.

It is a bit different to assume that a member of Daesh is committing violent acts for religious reasons. To the extent anyone is violent for religion, such a person is, even if there are other major factors that cause forms of religious belief to become popular.

I sense you're holding back Tezzor. Say what you feel. Go on.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Tezzor posted:

This is true as far as it goes but it also obstinately refuses to address the point that if the victims and perpetrator were reversed (Muslim with a bunch of intolerant religious opinions on his facebook wall guns down three atheists) it wouldn't even be put to question that he was motivated by his religious beliefs.

So? If Islamophobic people condemn Muslims before evidence is out about a crime, that makes them Islamophobes, and likely morons. I'd rather not emulate these people, thank you very much.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
There really wasn't anything on his FB indicating he was violent, other than he enjoyed guns. *shrug*

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Broken Cog posted:

So? Still no apparent connection, you are jumping to conclusion based on no evidence. (Yes yes I know your entire existence in this forum is based on being a snarky smartass).

I'm not sure what I could be jumping to. He shot people, so he is militant. He posted an anti-theist image on Facebook, so he is an ideologue.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

Kaal posted:

Here's a tip to stop coming across as a huge and ignorant bigot: Stop telling people about what "militant atheists" do, and how intolerant "militant atheists" are, and how much "militant atheists" hate Islam and hijabs, and generally acting like a prat. If you don't know what antitheism is, read about it. I don't know why you think that atheists are somehow an exception to the evils of blatant stereotyping, but stop and take a reality-check.

atheists are tiny beings no bigger than a quail egg. i could easily crush even the most militant atheist in my hand

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Disinterested posted:

So naturally let's correct this sin by treating everyone equally badly!

Most of the people you've argued with on SA do not assume that people commit violent acts because they are Muslims.

It is a bit different to assume that a member of Daesh is committing violent acts for religious reasons. To the extent anyone is violent for religion, such a person is, even if there are other major factors that cause forms of religious belief to become popular.

I sense you're holding back Tezzor. Say what you feel. Go on.

I feel like you're being deliberately dishonest, and hold criticism of your own ideological affiliations to higher standards than otherwise for no reason other than base tribalism. Thank you for the permission.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

SedanChair posted:

I'm not sure what I could be jumping to. He shot people, so he is militant. He posted an anti-theist image on Facebook, so he is an ideologue.

He is a militant ideologue by that definition - it's just not the definition everyone else is using.

Tezzor posted:

I feel like you're being deliberately dishonest and hold criticism of your own ideological affiliations to higher standards than otherwise for no reason other than base tribalism. Thank you for the permission.

[Citation needed].

Although, I'm not sure I could imagine a person who applies such radically different standards to different groups of people and ideological affiliations than you.

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 11, 2015

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Tezzor posted:

People are fond of making lazy connections that reinforce their biases.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I'm an atheist philosophically and believe this man killed them based on his antitheist atheist beliefs. I'm not understanding 99% of this thread on both ends because near as i can tell both views can be held without cognitive dissonance so... what the gently caress is going on?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

SedanChair posted:

You're twisting words in an attempt to support your position. Say he was "militant"(would you say anyone who kills or uses guns is militant) and an ideologue, if you call him "militant ideologue" you are drawing a connection between them in order to imply that he used militarism to push his ideology. As far as I have seen there has been no evidence that he supported using violence to push his beliefs, nor that it was connected to this triple murder.

Sunset
Aug 15, 2005

A lot of folks seem to be putting tidbits of information together in their head to come to the conclusion that this guy did what he did because he has some sort of militant atheist outlook. If it's alright to say so, I think people might be assuming here. Someone said they did not know how a parking dispute could end up in a triple-murder. I don't know how something like that could result in that either, but people can and often do do things that might seem like it doesn't make sense to react that way. Maybe the victims were parking in front of his house or something and it drove him bonkers. It doesn't make a lot of sense, because most of us would not really have a problem with that sort of thing. Neighbors do attack each other over things other than religion or race, though. Google barking dogs neighbor killed and you'll see news stories about neighbors hurting or killing each other over that sort of thing.

People can and do kill each other for all sorts of stupid reasons. I'm aware that he railed against religion(?) in facebook posts or something to that effect, but to correlate that as evidence of the reason for his actions would seem like jumping to a conclusion to me.

Hopefully all the details will be out soon. I'm not excusing him or his actions. Just saying people kill for all sorts of reasons. I wish they wouldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Lid posted:

I'm an atheist philosophically and believe this man killed them based on his antitheist atheist beliefs. I'm not understanding 99% of this thread on both ends because near as i can tell both views can be held without cognitive dissonance so... what the gently caress is going on?

Crybabies desperate to cling to the pretense of undisputed moral superiority of their belief system call for context and calm, never do anything of the sort when perpetrators are of belief system they dislike for largely facile reasons.

• Locked thread