Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plisk
Mar 27, 2007

No one's going to
take me alive.
Time has come to
make things right.

Cat Mattress posted:

Note: "Hebdo" means "weekly". (It's actually short for "hebdomadaire".)

I just find it weird when people shorten Charlie Hebdo as "Hebdo" rather than "Charlie". It always remind me of those people who thought that Charlie Hebdo was some dude's name, Mr Hebdo.

That is strange in a Times London or New York Times or Los Angeles Times sort of way. To my untrained eye, Hebdo stood out as the more unique label than Charlie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
It's not like "parking dispute" and "bigotry" are mutually exclusive here.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

boom boom boom posted:

Someone earlier in the thread said that the shooter had called tow trucks about people parking wrong so often the towing company refused to take calls from him. I couldn't find the post or the source right away, there's a lot of chat about mildly related topics like Sam Harris in this thread.

Plus, the cops said it was about a parking dispute, the only reason to think it's a hate crime is that the media found a bunch of 2edgy4u atheist stuff on his facebook and a lot of people jumped on that in order to make this shooting fit into some sort of clash of civiliazations/culture war narrative

Gotcha, so someone said he called tow trucks a lot, and the police offered an opinion too (based on evidence we're not privy to). On the other hand, a federal investigation has been opened into this crime to see if it meets the federal definition of hate crime.

Seems a bit premature to be making any type of hate crime call.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Last Buffalo posted:

Whoops, I guess you didn't read the stuff on his Facebook that was critical of discrimination aimed at Muslims.

I know it paints a more complicated picture, and it hurts to think that maybe some violence is just the result of petty bullshit and lost tempers. If it makes you feel better, he's going to spend his life in jail.

If there isn't a judicial determination that this was genocide, it is proof of institutional American Islamophobia.

paranoid randroid posted:

It's not like "parking dispute" and "bigotry" are mutually exclusive here.

Clearly he was bigoted against certain parking techniques.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

CommieGIR posted:

Guy posts anti-Muslim stuff on his facebook page and has a known history of threatening his Muslim neighbors proceeds to put them on their knees and executes them gangland style.

Yeah, its obviously a parking dispute :rolleyes:

Wasn't he threatening his neighbors over a parking dispute in the first place?

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

Radbot posted:

Gotcha, so someone said he called tow trucks a lot, and the police offered an opinion too (based on evidence we're not privy to). On the other hand, a federal investigation has been opened into this crime to see if it meets the federal definition of hate crime.

Seems a bit premature to be making any type of hate crime call.

You mean like Tezzor, drilldo squirt, Volkerball and others have been doing since the moment the corpses hit the pavement?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Do we really have to be as naive as the federal government here? Of course the feds are going to be very deliberate and say "oh we're investigating." Meanwhile anyone who hasn't fallen off a turnip truck can clearly see it was a hate crime.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Know who else doesn't consider it a hate crime? People committing other hate crimes against Muslims

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

snyprmag posted:

Know who else doesn't consider it a hate crime? People committing other hate crimes against Muslims

How do we know that it's a hate crime and not an architectural statement, huh? Huh?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Effectronica posted:

How do we know that it's a hate crime and not an architectural statement, huh? Huh?

They explicitly say it's a hate crime

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

boom boom boom posted:

They're talking about the architecture, not the people who work there. God, can't you see? It's all so simple!

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

boom boom boom posted:

Dear Agent Cooper,

Wondering if you got my first note, re: my killing of Laura Palmer?

Signed Leo Johnson.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

CommieGIR posted:

Guy posts anti-Muslim stuff on his facebook page and has a known history of threatening his Muslim neighbors proceeds to put them on their knees and executes them gangland style.

Yeah, its obviously a parking dispute :rolleyes:

He also posted "if you are anti-gun, unfriend me now" but obviously he wasn't a gun nut or anything...

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Starving Autist posted:

He also posted "if you are anti-gun, unfriend me now" but obviously he wasn't a gun nut or anything...

I think it's a bit weird that you don't here the typical anti-gun-nut voices commenting on this case, or maybe I missed them? This guy had enough guns to warrant that, didn't he?

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
e:nm

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

Effectronica posted:

They're talking about the architecture, not the people who work there. God, can't you see? It's all so simple!

I'm strongly starting to suspect that you're a "Do It to Julia" re-reg, especially since you've turned the virulent anti-autistic bigotry up to 11 lately. but I'll bite anyway.

Assuming that you, like Tezzor/Volkerball/etc. (whose posts I would much rather read than yours, amazingly enough), are wholly unwilling to admit that there is a substantive difference between a hate crime where the perpetrator explicitly declares the act to be motivated by religious ideology (I.E. Charlie, Copenhagen, or the mosque graffiti)... could I at least get you to admit that you've already made up your mind Chapel Hill was a hate crime and it is extremely unlikely any official report or investigation could convince you otherwise?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Liberal_L33t posted:

I'm strongly starting to suspect that you're a "Do It to Julia" re-reg, especially since you've turned the virulent anti-autistic bigotry up to 11 lately. but I'll bite anyway.

Assuming that you, like Tezzor/Volkerball/etc. (whose posts I would much rather read than yours, amazingly enough), are wholly unwilling to admit that there is a substantive difference between a hate crime where the perpetrator explicitly declares the act to be motivated by religious ideology (I.E. Charlie, Copenhagen, or the mosque graffiti)... could I at least get you to admit that you've already made up your mind Chapel Hill was a hate crime and it is extremely unlikely any official report or investigation could convince you otherwise?

What are you talking about, my friend? Chapel Hill was obviously a man, quite reasonably, murdering someone over parking and his victims, who felt he was bigoted against them, were simply reverse racist themselves. But thanks for the compliment.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Liberal_L33t posted:

A surprising amount of people are really emotionally invested in the idea that this was a hate crime. Because if it's not a hate crime, that means those three people getting murdered is OK? Or people who weren't convinced it was a hate crime for the beginning are OK with it? Or are racists?

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

TildeATH posted:

I think it's a bit weird that you don't here the typical anti-gun-nut voices commenting on this case, or maybe I missed them? This guy had enough guns to warrant that, didn't he?

3 pistols 2 shotguns and 7 rifles is not a huge arsenal. It's a good start.

It is strange, normally after a high profile shooting, the ban XYZ123 crowd shows up. Is it possible that, because of his Liberal views on everything else, they are staying away. Maybe if he had on a Duck Dynasty T-shirt and drove a pickup truck.

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

boom boom boom posted:

A surprising amount of people are really emotionally invested in the idea that this was a hate crime. Because if it's not a hate crime, that means those three people getting murdered is OK? Or people who weren't convinced it was a hate crime for the beginning are OK with it? Or are racists?

It's almost as if... they are less concerned with the tragic loss suffered by this particular family, and more eager to talk about the implications for political discourse *links to a google image search of mirrors* :unsmigghh:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Liberal_L33t posted:

It's almost as if... they are less concerned with the tragic loss suffered by this particular family, and more eager to talk about the implications for political discourse *links to a google image search of mirrors* :unsmigghh:

Liberal_L33t posted:

Those "hijabis" are free to think what they want, and I don't doubt that many of them are inclined to feel that their group is threatened, especially since they likely resent that the more traditionalist aspects of their culture are being publically critiqued. I don't expect your average muslim, christian or atheist on the street to think strategically. What I do expect those muslims on the street to eventually understand is that this incident is not going to be enough to shut down the critique of Islam by outsiders in the media, no matter how much they (or you) might wish it was.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Liberal_L33t posted:

As a "hijabis", I think, It's obvious you don't like the "implications for political discourse" of this and also your opinion of me is lowered on the basis of my religion.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Some guy in thread: So this looks like a hate crime.
Athiests in thread: Those muslims are savages because of fgm.
Me: Hmmm.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Me: this really looks like a hate crime.
That leet idiot: You can't take outside criticism of Islam.

Vaginapocalypse
Mar 15, 2013

:qq: B-but it's so hard being white! Waaaaaagh! :qq:

drilldo squirt posted:

Some guy in thread: So this looks like a hate crime.
Athiests in thread: Those muslims are savages because of fgm.
Me: Hmmm.

Well, to be fair, there have been atheists in this thread who have come forward and admitted that this incident has caused them to reevaluate their own position WRT religion, and understand that New Atheist rhetoric does have problematic elements. And then there are the atheists who are going full Dawkins and dismissing this as nothing more than a parking dispute.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I'm atheist. I don't give a fart about Dawkins and co. This looks like a hate crime to me. I don't see how this thread would change anything about my opinions.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

I don't see how this thread would change anything about my opinions.

Has that ever happened in the history of D&D? (Not just your opinions, but anyone's.)

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Liberal_L33t posted:

Happened in the Jezebel thread too and it looks like this is going to end up the same way.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Vaginapocalypse posted:

Well, to be fair, there have been atheists in this thread who have come forward and admitted that this incident has caused them to reevaluate their own position WRT religion, and understand that New Atheist rhetoric does have problematic elements.

That's weird considering there's not much evidence at all to support this as a hate crime motivated by the perpetrators' (lack of) religion. That would be like changing your opinions on frat houses because of the UVA story. I think what's most problematic is how most posters here jump to conclusions simply based on their pre-existing biases and scream at anyone who waits for facts.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

tsa posted:

That's weird considering there's not much evidence at all to support this as a hate crime motivated by the perpetrators' (lack of) religion. That would be like changing your opinions on frat houses because of the UVA story. I think what's most problematic is how most posters here jump to conclusions simply based on their pre-existing biases and scream at anyone who waits for facts.

I think that there's no doubt that this is a hate crime, but motivated by his virulent racist and anti-Islamic bigotry. Unfortunately while these things and atheism aren't inherently tied to one another, a lot of self-professed atheists promote those things distressingly often.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Do you guys remember when that dude in Florida shot the four black teens in a car because they were playing rap music too loud and it totally had nothing to do with race, why would you think it had to do with race? People get shot over loud music EVERY DAY, bigotry isn't real!

Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011
I think it had to do with race because I listened to the hour and a half police interview where he says he was afraid of a skinny young black kid's music so much he had to shoot him, and had a half dozen other obviously racist delusions. I definitely want to listen to this guy's intake interview, and if he says things that point out that he's racist and looking to kill Muslims, then I'd totally agree. However, if it seems he has schizophrenia, or that he has some irrational hang up about defending his property, I'm less likely to assume he was out to kill them for being Muslims. I don't feel embarrassed by waiting to hear the confessions of a guy who turned himself in.

Last Buffalo fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 17, 2015

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Who What Now posted:

I think that there's no doubt that this is a hate crime, but motivated by his virulent racist and anti-Islamic bigotry.

Why do you think that? You might not have doubt that it was a hate crime, but that's different from there being no doubt.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
For what it's worth(not much, lol) I'm an atheist and it looks like the guy was a bit of a bigot to me but I also think that the parking thing was a factor because all the witnesses say he was really up in arms about where people parked, so I guess it was a combination of factors? Anyway, I think it's really sad that those students were killed, they seemed like really good people from what little I know about them, but even if they were assholes no one deserves to be murdered like that.

BTW, I thought "Atheist" just meant someone who does not believe in any gods or supernatural beings and stuff, but lots of people use it like it means that you're an anti-religious bigot? I know that there are atheists like that but I don't really think of that as being part of atheism itself so much as part of being a huge, judgmental douche-bag.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

boom boom boom posted:

Why do you think that? You might not have doubt that it was a hate crime, but that's different from there being no doubt.

The fact that there exists someone who has some doubt that it's a hate crime is meaningless. Hell, there's probably someone that thinks Hitler's motivations weren't actually antisemitic and is working on a piece for Slate explaining why that's the case right now.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

boom boom boom posted:

Ok, no reasonable doubt.

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

drilldo squirt posted:

As a "hijabis", I think, It's obvious you don't like the "implications for political discourse" of this and also your opinion of me is lowered on the basis of my religion.

If you support legal or de-facto enforcement of your religion's laws, I absolutely do think less of you for it. And if you don't, then what specifically was so objectionable about the pro-Charlie demonstrations to lead both muslim and more-multicultural-than-thou atheists to rhetorically associate the murdered cartoonists with Nazis?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Liberal_L33t posted:

If you support legal or de-facto enforcement of your religion's laws, I absolutely do think less of you for it. And if you don't, then what specifically was so objectionable about the pro-Charlie demonstrations to lead both muslim and more-multicultural-than-thou atheists to rhetorically associate the murdered cartoonists with Nazis?

You're whatever you call people racist against Islamic people.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I'm an atheist, and this is pretty clearly a hate crime. I just don't think it's a hate crime driven by his atheist beliefs. Hating Muslims is just something massive assholes do regardless of their own religious inclinations. Combine that with the dude being somewhat mentally unstable and you get a tragedy like this.

Then again I'm the kind of dude who can look at what Hitchens or Dawkins writes and not accept it as gospel, so that's another issue entirely.

I happen to like Dawkins' non-religious work a lot more. He's a really good 'pop-science' writer, even if he doesn't like the term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plisk
Mar 27, 2007

No one's going to
take me alive.
Time has come to
make things right.

drilldo squirt posted:

You're whatever you call people racist against Islamic people.

Yeah, and if you hate Jewish Orthodox rules, then you're an anti-semite. I like the logic going down here.

ungulateman posted:

Then again I'm the kind of dude who can look at what Hitchens or Dawkins writes and not accept it as gospel, so that's another issue entirely.

A lot of Hitchensians and such despise his views on the War in Iraq. He was right about Kosovo, though. Goddamn, he really was right.

Plisk fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 17, 2015

• Locked thread