Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do *you* want to date?
Chihaya
Kana
Taichi
Arata
Porky
Tsutomu
Hisashi
Shinobu
that tiny motherfucker that styled on taichi
Retro
View Results

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
This might be me misremembering about the manga, but the first episode of season 3 pacing seems to be very quick and feels rushed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I'M SO FKIN HAPPY IT'S BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK.

I'm assuming after the recap we'll be right back at it next week.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

psyer posted:

This might be me misremembering about the manga, but the first episode of season 3 pacing seems to be very quick and feels rushed.

Just finished my rewatch. The pacing of season 1 was all over the place; season 2 was much better. I am only assume they will have things right in a few eps

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

is there any sort of recap of who all the non main characters are, couldn't really remember most of them

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
CH. 220 is just about everything I love about this series all wrapped up into 39 pages. I feel like the series is in the endgame and might wrap after this series of matches, and if the rest is like this chapter, I'd be ok with that.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Episode 1 and the first half of episode 2 had some kinda weird, off-kilter pacing, but they've pulled it together rather well by the latter half and episode 3, now. Chihayafuru's back in business

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Yeah this season really did start off at a rushed pace. I'm hoping that it's because they want to get to some really juicy plot/character developments by the end of the season.

Toshimo posted:

CH. 220 is just about everything I love about this series all wrapped up into 39 pages. I feel like the series is in the endgame and might wrap after this series of matches, and if the rest is like this chapter, I'd be ok with that.

What a great chapter, yeah!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I expect that they're gonna finish off the series with this so there's a lot of ground top cover in not a lot of time

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Are we getting 2 episodes every week now?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I think this was the last time for that, not really sure why that was what they were doing in the first place. Not that I'm complaining.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Ahhh I didn't realize this was back! Watched the first episode and I'm anxious to get back to watching the others that are out.

Up to episode 3 and my favorite gag so far is Kana thinking the reader is being super intense and timing his readings while he's just tweeting.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 8, 2019

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

I broke down and started reading ahead in the manga and Shinobu is easily the slam dunk best character no question

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Concurred posted:

I broke down and started reading ahead in the manga and Shinobu is easily the slam dunk best character no question

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Sudo is such a loving heel, I hate him, he's so good.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

PunkBoy posted:

Sudo is such a loving heel, I hate him, he's so good.

Sudo is the best rear end in a top hat and not only knows it, he leans into it harder when other people know.

Retro is also a heel, but he's a face no matter how hard he tried to be the bad boy.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I won't stand for anything less than praise of my boy Hyoro, who is (despite his seemingly harsh personality) a genuinely nice, honorable, hard-working young man with a burning passion for improving his own Karuta skills while being a vital part of his highschool team. He's also had more success at entering into a happy romantic relationship than anyone else in this series under the age of 25.

Concurred posted:

:bisonyes: She's such a good character to watch grow.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
The only character in Chihayafuru I dislike is Taichi, which is kind of a pain in the rear end since he's the deuteragonist, but the rest of the cast being as wonderful as it is vastly makes up for that and more.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Huh, pretty cool!

https://twitter.com/vestenet/status/1193362863491928065?s=20

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Episode 3 of this new season instantly became one of my favorite episodes of anime ever. I wonder just how many characters had speaking lines in just those 22 minutes. It was all the great parts of chihayafuru condensed into a single, screamingly tense match with a palpable sense of narrative history from every single person who piped in for 3 seconds to furrow their brow and talk about how cool karuta is

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also I still want to get a Chihaya av of her in a kimono...

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/B0bduh/status/1200440358104158208?s=19

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I hope when chihaya inevitably makes it to a queen match they animate it Kaiji Pachinko style and spend 17 episodes to painstakingly show every single card that gets read

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sweet eppy this week. Glad arata's been getting more screentime and monologuing beyond his usual silently brooding presence

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

In Training posted:

Sweet eppy this week. Glad arata's been getting more screentime and monologuing beyond his usual silently brooding presence

I nenver noticed his accent before. The weird inflection in tone in his sentences always throws me off.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I don’t remember if it was in the anime, but his accent was made fun of for being a little bit of bumpkin when he was a kid.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Fluffdaddy posted:

I don’t remember if it was in the anime, but his accent was made fun of for being a little bit of bumpkin when he was a kid.

It was in season 1

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
This show was the one that really got me into anime for "real" beyond like DBZ, and I didn't notice anything about Arata's speech watching for the first time. Then after getting into anime and weeb stuff I started learning Japanese and getting a lot more exposure to it. I rewatched season 2 a couple months ago in preparation, and holy poo poo the dude has a comically pronounced accent that is like nothing I've heard anywhere else. I kinda love listening to it

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Got started on season 3 last night and binged up through the current episode, I'd completely forgotten this show's bizarre trait of every episode feeling like it's 5 minutes long because it's so stupidly engrossing.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I got something explained to me today and this started playing in my head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV9V_VpsmoU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

an actual dog posted:

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I blinked today and this starte dplaying in my head, much like the last 3 years of my life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ne7oNIMJyA

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

an actual dog posted:

Now I want to make this my ringtone.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
"I don't have a girlfriend!"
"Neither do I!"

I'm glad the anime exists so I can relive one of the all time great Chihaya moments

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
This is slowly turning into the weirdest otome series. Now Chihaya has four love endings!

The gag doesn't amount to anything but it's still funny

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
WTF Chihaya doesn't say I'm the Ace of Cruelty! in S2 Ep1 like she does in the manga? This is the worst anime adaptation of all time

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
gently caress to arata

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Did anyone else tear up when Arata said "I love you"?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
No, I cheered when harada beat his rear end

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Arata is great. Chihaya slowly collapsing after that was hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I appreciate that y'all somehow stopped posting on the exact episode that I have finally caught up to

I can't believe how excited I got that an old man beat a teenager at a poetry card game but God drat was that some of the hypest poo poo I've ever seen