Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do *you* want to date?
Chihaya
Kana
Taichi
Arata
Porky
Tsutomu
Hisashi
Shinobu
that tiny motherfucker that styled on taichi
Retro
View Results

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I dont think I realized how dark Shinobu's story was the first time around. She improves by being isolated from anyone she could call a friend, but the better she gets the lonelier it is at the top, and the further she moves away from the pack the more demoralized that pack becomes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

ViggyNash posted:

Send help, I started rewatching yesterday and I can't stop

This is the prescribed fix for life sucking.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Chapters 206 and 207 are up!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mentat Radnor posted:

Chapters 206 and 207 are up!

"Mother, I would like to introduce you to my fiancee. Please grant your blessing for our marriage."

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
It's most likely a typo, but I'm kinda laughing at Shinobu's reasoning

"why do want to play a best of 5 now?"
"ad revenue"

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

theGrooseofLegend posted:

It's most likely a typo, but I'm kinda laughing at Shinobu's reasoning

"why do want to play a best of 5 now?"
"ad revenue"

I don't see a typo.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
The translation error for years has been people thinking Shinobu was talking about the Gods(神) when she's always been about the Paper(紙).

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
I'm assuming "stream" is suppose to be "steam" in pg 18 of 206, but then I realized that you could parse it the same way, even with my correction.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I really hope Taichi's "I don't know if I love Chihaya anymore" thing is some kind of misdirection.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
https://myanimelist.net/news/57023239

quote:

Third 'Chihayafuru' Season Delays Broadcast to Fall 2019

:(

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

PunkBoy posted:

I really hope Taichi's "I don't know if I love Chihaya anymore" thing is some kind of misdirection.

I refuse to believe it is anything but typical emotional confusion

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

So someone got tired of waiting for TDX and has uploaded Chapter 208 - 214 over on mangadex!

The translation and typesetting are certainly not as good as TDX, but I couldn't help myself and binged through the chapters. Never expected a ~social media influencer~ arc, but here we are in 2019. More Shinobu always makes me happy though! Unrelated, I wish Chitose would grow the gently caress up already, sheesh.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
With every chapter Shinobu becomes the best character by a greater and greater margin

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Chapters 215-217 are up! It's /a/non's clunky translations again, but I'll take it and ask for more even while I miss TDX scans.

This is it, it's finally happening! Actual matches probably start next chapter! :sweatdrop:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Chihaya trying to keep up with Shinobu's self promotion is really amusing

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
The previous queens commiserating over the unfair rules and supporting Shinobu and Chihaya was wonderful.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 18, 2019

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Man I really need to rewatch the first two seasons of this before season three comes out, I loved it. Loved the entire cast, pretty much.

except taichi, taichi loving sucks i hate him so much fuckin male entitlement rear end rich boy mothefucker

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Man I really need to rewatch the first two seasons of this before season three comes out, I loved it. Loved the entire cast, pretty much.

except taichi, taichi loving sucks i hate him so much fuckin male entitlement rear end rich boy mothefucker

Rewatch sounds great and I plan to do the same! Maybe someone will get the motivation and time to host a rewatch cytube stream but it won't be me sadly.

As for Taichi . . . Wtf? His whole character arc is him growing out of being a spoiled little poo poo, finding something he cares about and wants to work towards being good at with his own hard work and skill. Rough manga spoilers: even though his love for Chihaya was undoubtedly his original motivation, he finds a real purpose in karuta as a way of proving and improving himself that is wholely outside of his family's wealth and his mom's pressure to succeed in more traditional pursuits, and that's what makes him an endearing character.

Chihayafuru as a whole is very good at introducing characters that you hate when you first meet them, and then pushing them through arcs where they mature and grow while you learn more about their internal struggles until they become lovable as gently caress in their own way. It's my favorite aspect of the series.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Do we have a date on season 3? Last I heard it had been delayed but that was a while ago.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Maybe season 3 will make me like him but the entirety of Taichi's arc in seasons 1 & 2 completely failed to endear him to me in any way, and I actively wanted him to fail. His attachment to Chihaya just reads to me as completely possessive, one-sided, and just refuses to recognize that he'd been rejected from the beginning.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

WrightOfWay posted:

Do we have a date on season 3? Last I heard it had been delayed but that was a while ago.

October 5th 22nd I believe.

Mentat Radnor fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 18, 2019

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Chihayafuru Season 3 Preview:
https://twitter.com/chihaya_anime/status/1157260506492805120

"The third season of "Chihayafuru" starts October 22nd and is listed with a total of 24 episodes between two Blu-ray/DVD boxes"
https://twitter.com/LiveChart_me/status/1156948184607817730

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

aaaa

AAAAAAAAAAAAA

anyway, i'm excited

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wrapped up my rewatch in preparation for Season 3. I love this show, and especially season 2 for spending almost 3/4ths if the whole season on just 2 days of pulse pounding, heart throbbing Karuta drama. I can't wait!!!!

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
I finished my own rewatch and I will admit I remembered Taichi being worse than he is, but even still he has a hard time endearing himself with how he tries to take control of Chihaya's life constantly

That one black mark aside, man, Chihayafuru is fantastic and I love it. Can't wait for season 3.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The only surprising bummer from watching again was that I forgot how much season 2 seemed to have been rushed or under production crunch, there's a stretch towards the end that's like, recap episode, 2 episodes of a match, another recap episode, match concludes

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

quote:

Crunchyroll Expo announced on Friday that it will host Toshio Nakatani, the producer of the Chihayafuru 3 anime season, at this year's convention. Nakatani will participate in a panel and screening for the premiere of Chihayafuru 3 at the CRX 2019 Theater on August 31 at 3:00 p.m.

Crunchyroll will stream the anime this fall.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-08-18/crunchyroll-expo-hosts-chihayafuru-anime-season-3-premiere-producer-toshio-nakatani/.150141

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

It begins! Chapter 218.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Shinobu delivering her extremely serious monologue from under a pile of dogs needs to be animated yesterday

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
does the translation/localization/qc for this chapter seem a little worse than usual?

"Serizawa-san does not evict that image"? that's pretty egregious

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

does the translation/localization/qc for this chapter seem a little worse than usual?

"Serizawa-san does not evict that image"? that's pretty egregious

Ever since TDX stopped work on the series and /a/non picked it up, the translation has been somewhere between rocky and just bad. It's all we have though, unless some kind souls with better English skills step up and put in the work.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
It's baaaaaack! :neckbeard:

Hearing the piano theme right off the bat made me far, far happier than anything should

e: ADTRW › Chihayafuru There IS a Season 3

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 22, 2019

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Does the episode just abruptly end for everyone else?

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
The episode itself ended at a good place, but they cut out an ED. Probably just a first episode or licensing thing or something.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Here comes Spring, now the flower blooms

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

ETURNA
Jul 3, 2006

Narayan
:getin:

Been looking forward to S3!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Gotta watch when I get home. This is supremely exciting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The end of that episode did feel a bit abrupt. But having a 5 minute montage review of season 1+2 probably left just enough time for the episode but not for that + ED.

But can't complain overall. It's the same Chihayafuru we all know an love.