Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do *you* want to date?
Chihaya
Kana
Taichi
Arata
Porky
Tsutomu
Hisashi
Shinobu
that tiny motherfucker that styled on taichi
Retro
View Results

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
That's nice. I'm guessing they'll leave the karuta readings undubbed unless they change the whole game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
I love how Sudo throws Taichi's bet in his face

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
I desperately want to see Chihaya and Taichi blow up old vets in motion

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
Predicting it now

Chihaya goes 2-0 at first, then Shinobu slowly makes a comeback only for Chihaya to win 3-2

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
It's most likely a typo, but I'm kinda laughing at Shinobu's reasoning

"why do want to play a best of 5 now?"
"ad revenue"

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
I'm assuming "stream" is suppose to be "steam" in pg 18 of 206, but then I realized that you could parse it the same way, even with my correction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
Up to episode 21. Watching the anime after reading the manga has made me understand Suo and the overall story a bit more.

When he's first introduced, he's framed as a force of nature with his talent in discerning sound, but that talent is merely a compliment to his true specialty: feinting his opponent into faults. rather than coasting off of his hearing ability and taking 25 of his 28 cards, he uses that talent to pressure his opponent into playing faster than they're used to, making them easier to bait into faults. This play style defines a lot of who Suo is as a character: it's designed to destroy the opponent's confidence in their play, as shown in his first victim Takemura. But this desire to break people goes even beyond the game, when he outright says Chihaya doesn't deserve to be Queen because of her fortunate life and deliberately making himself look younger in his fifth match against Harada.

Suo's behavior is explained by upbringing by his aunt Yukiko and his condition. Suo's aunt is a childless divorcee and an elderly worker, all of which are stigmatized in Japan. Further complicating things is her condition which will blind her, making her even more of a burden to society's eyes. The flashback with Yukiko emphasizes her concern over the children's physical health, taking every preventative measure possible to assure they don't end up with a disability like hers. In this context her last words to Suo, "make something of yourself" is a warning: "don't end up like me," a message that Suo receives too late when he learns that he has the exact same condition as her.

Suo initially thought that becoming the Master would fulfill this goal. He expected some form of celebrity to surround him in his circle, but all the Master title did was intimidate them, further isolating him from the rest of the world. Being the Master of karuta wasn't enough to "make something of himself," he has to up the ante and make himself stick out. He has to feed on other people's passion, both by playing in a way that is so dominant it's demoralizing and by riling up the greater karuta community through his actions, before he eventually becomes irrelevant like his aunt.

Suo's greater role in the story is to serve as an antithesis to the central theme of Chihayafuru: passion, for both a loved one and for karuta. Throughout the whole story, karuta is framed as a game that welcomes anyone with a passion for it regardless of gender, social status, age, etc. It's a place where both Chihaya, a person who would have been conventionally popular if it weren't for her love of karuta ("wasted beauty" is her lovely nickname after all), and Shinobu, a person so isolated from people her age that karuta is literally her only friend, can thrive. Similarly, Chihaya and Arata's passion brings them to each other and Taichi's efforts into karuta parallel his passion for Chihaya. Suo's existence as a character: his play style, backstory and status as Master, argues that "your passion will betray you." Whether it be a debilitating illness, old age, running into an impenetrable wall like Suo, or because the person you like simply doesn't return your feelings, your efforts will be wasted. In the karuta aspect at least, he's proven wrong time and again by the people who play him and retain their passion for the game.