Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I used to be a GS user in 4U.

Thanks to the demo, I think I'm gonna go with Adept Bow and Aerial HBG for solo and Adept LBG for co-op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

kirbysuperstar posted:

Dear MonHun thread,

What are your favorite styles for Long Sword and Switch Axe?

Adept for Long Sword, although I dislike LS pretty strongly this time around.

Guild for Switch Axe, because you can get that hunter art combo that gives you infinite sword mode/insane damage boost + instant recharge of sword meter.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
They didn't nerf anything about LS from MH4 though I think?

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Dear MonHun thread,

I'm still dabbling with LS. I like the idea of Adept- love the super evade- but I can never manage to land the hits out of it you need to start a spirit combo, so I'm uncomfortably relying on the Sakura Slash hunter art to bring me to white/yellow/red. Still playing with Aerial. At the moment I'm really liking Guild for LS, since it lets me run a normal spirit combo and still use Sakura Slash. But I am VERY new to LS. The last time I played it was when I briefly played 3U. With 4U I picked up glaive and never looked back.

Definitely wanting to get my hands on the naginata LS in Generations...

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Rascyc posted:

Nope, I don't have motion value numbers to look at to see if they fiddled with anything there, but even just changing the way the spirit gauge depletes back to the 3U style makes LS much more palatable since it affects how gung-ho your playstyle has to be. When I played 4U I had to get downright suicidal when I got my spirit gauge to red trying to get as much damage in as possible before it dissappeared.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Thanks for the answers, guess I'll be getting this at some point I have quite a bit of MH4U still left since I tend to get really into it and then put it down for a few months.

empathe posted:

I would Day 1 Purch an NX is MonHun was launching on it.

With this and Breath of the Wild... Interesting for a console to immediately become GOAT on day one.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 13, 2016

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Rascyc posted:

They didn't, they buffed some things.

Still don't like it, and I didn't in 4U either. Why, I can't really explain.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

I wanna murder a Glavenus so badly. Wanna chop that tail.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
drat, charge blade is the most anime weapon there is. I love the camera zoom out when you drop your spirit bomb ultra burst attack.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SilverGryphon posted:

I'm still dabbling with LS. I like the idea of Adept- love the super evade- but I can never manage to land the hits out of it you need to start a spirit combo, so I'm uncomfortably relying on the Sakura Slash hunter art to bring me to white/yellow/red. Still playing with Aerial. At the moment I'm really liking Guild for LS, since it lets me run a normal spirit combo and still use Sakura Slash. But I am VERY new to LS. The last time I played it was when I briefly played 3U. With 4U I picked up glaive and never looked back.

Definitely wanting to get my hands on the naginata LS in Generations...

:hfive: It's not just me!

Also, I absolutely love Adept LS in the demo, but I fear that it will be completely useless for a bunch of monsters. Even in the drat tutorial it pits you against the Maccao who just charges way out of range of your new spirit attack giving you very few chances to level up the gauge.

Of course, this is a problem for several of the Adept styles, and hopefully there aren't that many monsters who keep their distance.

e: also I've kept playing MH4U and just fought Najarala for the first time and Gore Magala for the second time.. I beat Najarala on the first attempt but I had literally no idea what was going on. On Gore Magala, I died in seconds and the NPC's went "good job!" so uh :confuoot: Zamtrios and Lagombi were both easy, and Rathian died first attempt to my Lance (once I remembered to use my shield and not just run for my life).

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 13, 2016

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I still don't know what's going on with Najarala

Dreamy Souffle
Feb 22, 2011

Just cause
I like my diamonds bright
ain't saying I'm wrong
or if it's right but baby
I haven't been wrong before

Your Computer posted:

also I've kept playing MH4U and just fought Najarala for the first time and Gore Magala for the second time.. I beat Najarala on the first attempt but I had literally no idea what was going on. On Gore Magala, I died in seconds and the NPC's went "good job!" so uh :confuoot: Zamtrios and Lagombi were both easy, and Rathian died first attempt to my Lance (once I remembered to use my shield and not just run for my life).

If you have no idea what's going on, chances are Najarala's going in for a hug. When it's not going in for the hug then chances are it is shaking very angrily in one of a few different ways.

One only fights Najarala in vague estimates.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The best way to fight Najarala is to use a glaive and hop at and over it constantly. Just spring around constantly like a mad jackrabbit.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Just pre-ordered because I am weak. Was hesitant because I still haven't done the post game stuff in 4U (Post game meaning everything after Shagaru Magala).

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 13, 2016

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Dreamy Souffle posted:

If you have no idea what's going on, chances are Najarala's going in for a hug. When it's not going in for the hug then chances are it is shaking very angrily in one of a few different ways.

lol

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Roland Jones posted:

The best way to fight Najarala is to use a glaive and hop at and over it constantly. Just spring around constantly like a mad jackrabbit.

Is Narja in Gen? I forsee everyone switching to Aerial style when it's time to hunt it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Internet Friend posted:

Is Narja in Gen? I forsee everyone switching to Aerial style when it's time to hunt it.

Yep, wiki says that Najarala is in it. That should be fun.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CuddlyZombie posted:

I still don't know what's going on with Najarala

Dreamy Souffle posted:

Well at least I feel a bit better now :toot:

Quick question. I still haven't fought the Gore Magala "for real" (to give you an estimate of where I am in the game), is it dumb of me to grind at this point in the game? i.e. are the armors and weapons I'm crafting going to be replaced before long? I'm trying to make the Barroth armor, but it requires 2 Gypceros Heads which are traded for Barroth Scalps and I've killed like 10 Gypceros without seeing a Head yet. Kiranico says "Break Head", so I'm only using the Hammer to hunt him (and smacking him repeatedly over the head) so I assume I just have bad luck.

e: also, just a few posts back I said this:

Your Computer posted:

I'd be happy if I never saw Gypceros or Nerscylla ever again (as if :()
and now I'm farming it. There should be a :darksouls: emote for Monster Hunter.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jul 13, 2016

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Internet Friend posted:

Najarala was pretty alright with the gunlance

aerial gunlance is just going to be a cakewalk :grin:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Considering how much bugstick trivializes najarala, I figure any weapon with aerial will make him a cakewalk.

On another note, I remember back when we were first getting about gen stuff someone mentioned greatsword seemed to combo it's regular attacks a bit faster so comboing regular attacks might be a viable option. Did that turn out to be the case or is non-charging still the worst possible option?

Just wondering, since aerial disables charging on the ground.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Your Computer posted:

Quick question. I still haven't fought the Gore Magala "for real" (to give you an estimate of where I am in the game), is it dumb of me to grind at this point in the game?

Not dumb, exactly, you can do whatever's fun for you, but it's kind of a waste of time. You'll just be making new and better armour in High Rank and chucking all this stuff anyway, and then again in G Rank. Most people just pick a decent set for LR with a good skill (say, Velocidrome for Attack Up, or Tetsucabra for extra Defence) then just rock that and upgrade it with Armour Spheres until the next rank.

In general armour is all about skills (which activate only at 10 points or above, on your status screen check under 'Active Skills' -- if it's not there it's not active), so look for sets that give you skills that help your particular weapon. That could be stuff like Focus for Great Sword or Bow (faster charge attacks), Guard+1/2 or Guard Up for Lance, Artillery Novice/Expert/God for Gunlance, etc. etc. General skills like Attack Up, Earplugs can be good for almost any weapon, and certain weapons benefit a lot from Evasion+1/2/3 skills (Lance especially), and others from Evade Extender (which gives you longer evades for greater mobility, great for Switch Axe or Heavy Bowgun for example).

Here's a spreadsheet with a decent list of recommended skills for each weapon:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-G_JEqDEdpf1UQirzl6v0-tDZ6yPPSi5wjBSWnmi0jQ/edit#gid=529524963

And a list of good armour sets at each rank for blademaster/gunner:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/2xhiqm/mh4u_armory_low_high_g/

For MHGen there's a list of recommended armours too, once you dive in:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/4q3sm5/mhgen_armory_low_high_x/

By all means don't take these as gospel, but they're decent starting points :) Hope this helps!

Dreamy Souffle
Feb 22, 2011

Just cause
I like my diamonds bright
ain't saying I'm wrong
or if it's right but baby
I haven't been wrong before

Your Computer posted:

Quick question. I still haven't fought the Gore Magala "for real" (to give you an estimate of where I am in the game), is it dumb of me to grind at this point in the game? i.e. are the armors and weapons I'm crafting going to be replaced before long? I'm trying to make the Barroth armor, but it requires 2 Gypceros Heads which are traded for Barroth Scalps and I've killed like 10 Gypceros without seeing a Head yet. Kiranico says "Break Head", so I'm only using the Hammer to hunt him (and smacking him repeatedly over the head) so I assume I just have bad luck.

If there's a particular loadout you feel would benefit the weapons you stick to, by all means, keep at it if you feel more comfortable having it. On that same note though, try to avoid grinding out too many, as you can get through low rank on one or two dedicated sets of armor. (Unless you're specifically in it for the collection grind, you do you.)

I don't quite remember where the Gore Magala teaser happens, but low rank for the caravan goes up into the six star quests. Once you get past that you're in high rank territory, where you'll be tossing out old stuff and upgrading.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The only armor you should grind for if you're gonna grind for an armor (and you shouldn't but if you want to here's what you should grind for) is the low rank sharpness +1 set. It's a set that can last you an obscenely long time until you're well into HR because it's got Sharpness +1 (and if my year-old memories are accurate I replaced it with an HR sharpness+1 set) and the defense scaling poorly can be offset via armor upgrades. You shouldn't do this, large because it requires an absurd amount of grinding, but if you're gonna grind for a armor set make it that one because it'll last you for literally dozens of hours.

You should be grinding to keep all your weapons max upgraded, in direct contrast. Your armor doesn't need to be current, but your weapon absolutely at all times needs to be the best it can possibly be.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I'm super happy that weakness exploit is back to how it was in p3rd instead of not knowing if it's even working or not.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Holy poo poo it is :getin:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I feel like I'm missing something obvious with the Aerial HBG, I can't seem to ever actually hit the monster with my shots. Granted I'm trying on the Maccao who is pretty tiny, but yeah. Is it pretty much not worth it without pellet (which isn't in the demo)?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
A somewhat minor thing I nevertheless want to know the answer to, does the Alatreon glaive have an impact or cutting bug? I'm hoping for the former for entirely aesthetic reasons, because I'm a dweeb who cares about that sort of thing (the final-stage balanced impact bug is a demonic-looking thing, while the cutting one, while cool, is a shiny golden scarab that doesn't match the Alatreon glaive at all). Anyone know?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dreamy Souffle posted:

If there's a particular loadout you feel would benefit the weapons you stick to, by all means, keep at it if you feel more comfortable having it.

Actually I mostly forge armor and weapons for ~fashion~* :downs: Thanks, everyone.

I'm currently finishing up the 4-star quests so I'm guessing I won't hit high rank before Generations is out. After that it's back to square one!

*That is to say, I keep my weapons up to date but try to find armors that look good with them.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Marogareh posted:

I'm super happy that weakness exploit is back to how it was in p3rd instead of not knowing if it's even working or not.

How was it different?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
In P3rd, Weakness Exploit / Tenderiser increased your affinity by 50% when you hit the weak areas of a monster.

They changed it in 3U so that if you hit an area that was past a certain weakness point (35 iirc) you'd do an additional small amount of damage (ie +5) on those hits. For eg, if you hit narga on the head, it's weakness is 50; if you used weakness exploit, that weakness would be increased to a whopping 55. It was an annoying nerf.

It's now back to the way it was in P3rd.

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jul 13, 2016

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
It used to be 50% affinity when hitting weakpoints. I used the Akantor HBG in p3rd with it and every single hit was a crit. I might make a super crit set with it and see how it goes.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Looks like there's also a skill that increases your affinity rate the more hits in a row you land. Sounds like it could be an interesting for a crit DS gimmick set

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Your Computer posted:

Actually I mostly forge armor and weapons for ~fashion~* :downs:

What was the point of the question then? I actually tried to write a useful reply :eng99:

Ignimbrite posted:

Looks like there's also a skill that increases your affinity rate the more hits in a row you land. Sounds like it could be an interesting for a crit DS gimmick set

Combo Rush, yeah. It's pretty fun for DS. In general affinity is a big deal in MHGen, there's tons of ways to boost it to ludicrous levels so crit sets are everywhere.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

thorsilver posted:

What was the point of the question then? I actually tried to write a useful reply :eng99:

Your reply was very helpful and I bookmarked the links! :)

I was mostly just wondering "am I gonna replace this immediately" because I vaguely know about the rank system but not really how it works.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

kirbysuperstar posted:

Dear MonHun thread,

LS I prefer Adept, Guild, and Aerial, in that order. Adept is by far the most damaging style, provided you can consistently land the post-evade spirit combo. Guild LS I have always loved and having two Hunter Arts is a great bonus. Aerial is really fun and fast-paced with LS but I'll only use it against certain monsters.

SA it's all about Aerial and Guild for me. Aerial SA is just really powerful-feeling, the sword mode jumping attacks feel satisfyingly weighty and getting a free, heavy hit off a jump is extremely good. It also emphasises the axe mode attacks on the ground which I like. Guild SA let's you combo Demon Riot and Energy Charge which is just nutso damage.

Ignimbrite posted:

Yeah, Combo Rush. It's incredibly good for any fast or multi-hitting weapon. Your first hit will net you a 25% affinity boost and each consecutive hit gives you another 1%, capping out at 30%. If you miss an attack or stop attacking for 5 seconds the skill gets reset. With something like DS or SnS that's effectively Critical Eye +3 for 10 points which is just nuts. Given how many ways there are to get high affinity now, plus Critical Boost (10 point skill that makes your crits do 1.4x damage instead of 1.25x), crit builds are extremely viable in MHGen whereas in MH4U they were basically completely outclassed by pure attack builds.

My first target at endgame is going to be farming the White Gale Nargacuga variant set. The set has Evade Dist, Crit Boost, and White Gale (variant combo skill that gives Crit Eye +3 and Evasion +2). There's a lot of powerful natural white (the highest sharpness level in MHGen) weapons this go around, so I'll just skip Handicraft and hope for a good offensive charm with something like Attack, Challenger, Weakness Exploit, or Combo Rush.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

AttackBacon posted:

Adept is by far the most damaging style, provided you can consistently land the post-evade spirit combo.

Counterpoint: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVrL50ld0Fg

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Yeah, for solo play, there is something to be said for trading adept dodge for Absolute Evasion and faster charging hunter arts, given LS hunter arts are very solid all around. But I'm just a sucker for counter-attacks.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Man I am getting owned by Adept LS.

I want to use it so bad but I'm not getting any benefit from it because I'm awful at dodging/countering.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Kiggles posted:

Yeah, for solo play, there is something to be said for trading adept dodge for Absolute Evasion and faster charging hunter arts, given LS hunter arts are very solid all around. But I'm just a sucker for counter-attacks.

Counter-attacks, you say

https://fat.gfycat.com/GlumAthleticDromaeosaur.webm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Countblanc posted:

I feel like I'm missing something obvious with the Aerial HBG, I can't seem to ever actually hit the monster with my shots. Granted I'm trying on the Maccao who is pretty tiny, but yeah. Is it pretty much not worth it without pellet (which isn't in the demo)?

Pellet definitely rules for making it more braindead, but it took me a few hunts to understand how aerial gunning works in general. You can angle which way you'll flip when you've rolled into the monster but before you jump by just pointing in a direction, so rolling into and then leaping away from Maccao is generally the way to go to hit him with anything that isn't an aoe since he'll be directly in your sights... if he hasn't leaped away somewhere.

But yeah you're mostly right that trying to aerial gun the smaller bird wyverns, especially without pellet, is kind of a waste of time.

Great Maccao's set looks awesome, btw, and I love that crafting a set will earn you the palico scraps to make a matching set for your partner. :3:

Plus it comes with the... leaping? skill that boosts aerial damage. Good poo poo!

• Locked thread