Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

Europe is loving poo poo at coffee

literally the dumbest post I've read in YOSPOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

i got to work too early but coffee has soothed me

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
sludge time

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

french press best press

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

pourover superior for no cleanup office brewing

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

lord funk posted:

pourover superior for no cleanup office brewing

go ahead and ride that idea back to brooklyn on ur fixie

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

Cat Face Joe posted:

french press best press
wat about a bench press

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

pourover > french press

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
hey they are both 1000x better than the poo poo that comes out of the vac pot pump lever out of the lovely mystery coffee bean drip maker machine

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
i'd rather drink

from

vs

from

Sniep posted:

the vac pot pump lever out of the lovely mystery coffee bean drip maker machine

any day of the week

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

agreed.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
on my third sludge this morning. I need the sludge. I am the sludge.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

on my third sludge this morning. I need the sludge. I am the sludge.

yeesh, I hope you plan to hit the gym later

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Granbar posted:

literally the dumbest post I've read in YOSPOS.

yeah it was two words too long

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
got my aeropress and my burr grinder today woop woop

tomorrow coffee gonna be good coffee

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Kenny Logins posted:

got my aeropress and my burr grinder today woop woop

tomorrow coffee gonna be good coffee

yaaaay prepare to obsess over grind fineness while enjoying the deliciousness

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

lord funk posted:

yaaaay prepare to obsess over grind fineness while enjoying the deliciousness
done and done :coffee:

i think i got the grind fineness down, i read up on using a hario skerton for aeropress and got some good tips on how to dial in the setting. hand grinding takes a bit longer than i thought but it is p. much effortless at least. i was also stopping to check a lot but now i have a feel for when the chamber is empty

just need to experiment with water temp, brew time and how much hot water to dilute with. our hot water machine only does 195F at the closest setting to what is useful so need to figure out how long to let it cool down before pouring in

still, it was v. good, it's true what they say about lower acidity

Wells
Sep 21, 2008

THIS IS A BIZ!!!
Lipstick Apathy
Which burr grinder did you get? The little plastic dodad that holds the upper part of the burr in place in mine is pretty broke and I think I'm gonna replace it soon.

Also, enjoying a cup of cold brew peets. It turned out really good and I'm glad someone suggested it.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Wells posted:

Which burr grinder did you get? The little plastic dodad that holds the upper part of the burr in place in mine is pretty broke and I think I'm gonna replace it soon.

Also, enjoying a cup of cold brew peets. It turned out really good and I'm glad someone suggested it.
this is the one i have, ceramic burrs

early models didn't have a cover on the top where the handle is but mine does. it also comes with a little plastic lid so you can seal up the bottom chamber on its own. i also use this lid to hold the different small parts when i'm cleaning it

i like it so far, the bottom part fits comfortable in my hand but it's big enough that each wind of the handle gets something done. not too noisy either

the only thing i'd say is to watch out because it comes with a clear plastic washer that is easy to lose (unless you keep an eye out for it the first time you disassemble). also the little rubber thing on the bottom doesn't fit as well as i'd like but otoh nice to have for grip when you brace against your chest or the countertop

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
ya, thats how i do it too

Wells
Sep 21, 2008

THIS IS A BIZ!!!
Lipstick Apathy
I've had the same one of these for the past 4-5 years and it's treated me pretty well. bodum even replaced the plastic burr ring when it broke for free. but I think it's time to move on. I like the idea of one less thing to plug in to the wall.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Sniep posted:

ya, thats how i do it too

how long have you had your hario for? i've heard they're not as great for coarse grinds (without mods/tweaks) because there's a bit of play and over time the burrs touch each other and wear down/break unless you're doing fine all the time.

also do you disassemble and clean the burrs erryday or do you find it can go days between cleaning?

incidentally i used to have the exact same french press and that's the one that broke after a month of use :(

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
it works fine for me both the grinder with a coarse grind and the press

yes there is play in the grinder when it's empty but i usually only use it with beans in it so that forces it straight while grindnig

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
im starting to brew using an aeropress and water at the correct temperature and it's tasty.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
weird nerd: hmm i'm debating the merits of this ceramic grinding machine that has a bunch of breakable parts and it doesn't work unless you get this other part or whatever but wowee i can get these big coarse chunks of coffee i need to make this coffee not taste god awful

me: uh, i use a 5 dollar blade grinder and if it breaks i'll just buy another one

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
Starbucks got my name right (james of course) AND drew a smiley face. living it up!!!!

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

they are playing purity ring in this start bucks pretty good :cool::coffee:

moosemanmoo
Jan 6, 2007
R the Reply that his life was in danger
i know this is where the company started and they probably operate half of these at a loss just to save face but it astounds me how many starbucks locations there are here in seattle when you can easily find better and cheaper independent coffee. it's like we are all just high-paid children who want to drink a s'mores coffee milkshake

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Kenny Logins posted:

apparently it's so prevalent in oz/nz that starbucks et al. have a hard time getting a foothold because there's been a culture of greek/espresso cafes for the past 100 years. they're so fussy they don't care for starbucks at all

which is really a point in their favor at the end of the day

It's really loving hard to find good coffee overseas when I'm used to the bakery on the corner having bean that blows my dick off.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Auckland has plenty of star buckses don't worry

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

bobbilljim posted:

Auckland has plenty of star buckses don't worry

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is the one on queens street...

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

this double cappuccino is tasting REAL loving GOOD

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

drinking coffee

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

ran late this morning so i cashed in some full mcdonald's coffee cards while grabbing a blt bagel

it'll be great when they eventually serve breakfast all day

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is the one on queens street...

there's at least 2 on queen street now. + many more outside the cbd of course

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Where's the other one on queen street? Up the top somewhere?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

in the imax building right on the edge of aotea

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

i went crazy drinking coffee today

i drank a lot of coffee today and now it is bedtime but i am still awake and my heartrate is 25 bpm faster than normal because i drank so much coffee because it was a nice afternoon to garden and drink cold coffee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
best part about taking too many uppers is taking too many downers

• Locked thread