Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
i drink folgers i make in a hamilton beach single cup auto drip with a wire mesh reusable filter. COME AT ME BRO

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
just made my third coffee for today. its too hot to druink right now

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

just chemexed :coffee:

metropolis brazil fazenda mariano, roasted 2.3.15

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

gonna go get my second cup of coffee this morning

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
nice new av mr bobillyjim

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

minivanmegafun posted:

just chemexed :coffee:

metropolis brazil fazenda mariano, roasted 2.3.15

ive been chemexing for a year and tried my aeropress for the first time in a year. its so much better but gently caress doing the whole song and dance for each cup

GoldenTeeth
Jun 3, 2013

I'm the pensive looking one on the left. That's me. I'm doing serious business in there. Look at me go.
i don't drink coffee but there's a new coffee machine in the student shop that doles out steaming hot costa and one of twenty different variations of flavoured syrup

it's pretty neat because it's all touchscreen but im counting down the days until someone irreparably burns their hands/genitalia on it

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
hrm. boiling coffee. sounds great..............NOT!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

newreply.php posted:

ive been chemexing for a year and tried my aeropress for the first time in a year. its so much better but gently caress doing the whole song and dance for each cup

semtex if u chemex

Chorrax
May 11, 2007

:wotwot:
Currently waiting for my cup of coffee to finish brewing. Doing a 30-70 mixture of Bustelo and Chock Full O' Nuts New York Roast. It gets the job done meaning I feel more awake and poop shortly thereafter.

Also, apparently Chock Full O Nuts is a regional thing. I was in Texas last week and they didn't have it, and nobody had ever heard of it.

Chorrax
May 11, 2007

Here's a nice little earworm for this thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E-Y9eLUOHw

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

french roast, because there's a happy accordion man on the box

GoldenTeeth
Jun 3, 2013

I'm the pensive looking one on the left. That's me. I'm doing serious business in there. Look at me go.

newreply.php posted:

hrm. boiling coffee. sounds great..............NOT!
lol if your drink of choice is served above 5°C IMHO

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

GoldenTeeth posted:

lol if your drink of choice is served above 5°C IMHO

this but lower than 90

Ancient Mariner
Jan 14, 2015

by Lowtax
:gas:

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

it's important to let freshly roasted coffee degas before packaging

it's also important to allow properly fresh coffee to "bloom" which lets some of the gas out as well

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

Captain Foo posted:

this but lower than 90

greetings, good coffee knower

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

minivanmegafun posted:

it's important to let freshly roasted coffee degas before packaging

thats correct but most roasters use bags with pressure valves nowadays

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

lol @ this noob all of a sudden thinking he's somebody, following in daddy's footsteps

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

newreply.php posted:

thats correct but most roasters use bags with pressure valves nowadays

a lot of third-wave shops are giving up on them and just going back to plastic-lined paper bags.

https://agoodkeensavage.wordpress.com/2012/01/17/why-i-stopped-packaging-our-coffee-in-one-way-valves/

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

newreply.php posted:

greetings, good coffee knower

greetings

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

minivanmegafun posted:

a lot of third-wave shops are giving up on them and just going back to plastic-lined paper bags.

https://agoodkeensavage.wordpress.com/2012/01/17/why-i-stopped-packaging-our-coffee-in-one-way-valves/

that guy may be right but he wrote too many words so gently caress that guy

Chorrax
May 11, 2007

These are fun and good for making ice coffee:

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

Chorrax posted:

These are fun and good for making ice coffee:

i have never met anyone who uses these in the correct way, everyone seems to fill them from the tap and put them straight on the fire

"hmmm now THIS is good coffer. charred bitter mud. thats EXTREMELY my poo poo. too bad i have to replace the rubber joint every six months."

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

bobbilljim posted:

i have an aeropress at home, which i like. and a burr grinder. and i have a metal filter for the aeropress but honestly i think teh paper filter work better.
i have a moka pot but its aluminium which im convinced i can taste in teh coffee.
french press is good too

but i just get whatever beans from teh supermarket
i used to love french press until mine broke but always hated cleanup and that it required coarse ground coffee as opposed to medium/fine which you can actually get pre-ground

seriously considering aeropress, thanks for metal vs. paper filter rec

does aeropress need coarse grind too or does it work well with civilized grind settings. bear in mind i don't have a home grinder (yet)

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
wish i had the time to brew coffee during the day. instead ill just drink anstarbucks every now and then

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
aeropress needs a very fine grind. the finest an encore will do or just above espresso on better grinders

Wells
Sep 21, 2008

THIS IS A BIZ!!!
Lipstick Apathy
Just get a nice burr grinder and buy your beans whole. I got a bodum bistro grinder for like 80bux a few years ago and while it's not the greatest it does the job fine.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

newreply.php posted:

aeropress needs a very fine grind. the finest an encore will do or just above espresso on better grinders
that's good news then. coarse grind sucks

might get my own grinder eventually but otoh i'd probably want to see about using the aeropress at work primarily since my 1-cup keurig will eventually give up the ghost

and yes, the coffee it makes is only barely passable but easy cleanup is a priority

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

there's only one civilized grind and that's grind at home

if you can't afford a Baratza encore (they aren't that expensive) you can rule-36 it with a hand grinder. they're cheap and you get a workout (and they're really no quieter than an electric grinder)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i just made a k-cup and poured it over a glass of ice

SUCK
MY
DICK

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
what about...tea?

asking for a friend here

Wells
Sep 21, 2008

THIS IS A BIZ!!!
Lipstick Apathy

Jonny 290 posted:

SUCK
MY
DICK

hold on, I'm paging three olives

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

Valeyard posted:

what about...tea?

asking for a friend here

nice troll attempt but you should handle this a bit more subtle: no one will ever believe you have a friend

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

SUCK
MY
DICK

cat piss is better when cold, this is a good decision.

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

Jonny 290 posted:

SUCK
MY
DICK

id rather not, i bet your cum tastes of k-cup

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp