Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

al-azad posted:

I spent way too much time with RPGM2K and the community from the outset and have zip to show for it. There are a couple of projects I vaguely remember like some game series that was a dude's Coheed and Cambria fan project and a community game about a foul mouthed guy who gets sucked into a generic fantasy universe with sprites/scenarios ripped from a ton of other games. Some game called Idunn Ymiraldorldorladof from a guy who went on to make pixel art for phone games in like 2005. "Wilhelm the Hero" or some such, with graphics by the Sunset Over Imdahl dude, that never went anywhere. I even vaguely remembers what must have been the game that triggered work on Pier Solar, ugh.

Why are these bad memories starting to flood back in my head?

Wishmoo. RPG Advocate.

Those were the days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I had so many lovely old half-finished games but only one survived since like, 2010. I should probably go back and finish it, huh?

Anyone remember the amazing "Chain Game"? The one with the gay cigarettes?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I've recently been working on a game in VX Ace in my free time. It's amazing how easy it is to get something together. Though actually figuring out battle formulas and skills is super tough. I'm not even sure how to make the battle system interesting or unique in anyway. But I'm slowly making progress, and it feels rewarding.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

RPGMaker for the Playstation will always be my favorite if only because it was the first one I "played". I made a poo poo-ton of games when I was a kid. They were complete and utter garbage. I miss it.

I let my cousin play with it while he visited us. He ended up making the most racist game I'd ever seen (at the time). It had a bunch of white kids trying to stop black people from entering the city or something.
It was really well made though. Better than anything I made with it.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
funny story: Barkley shut up and jam gaiden is not actually rpgmaker. They tried that at first but switched to gamemaker. The zeyboyd rpgs are their own engine too.

Yume Nikki is one of my favorite games period but I haven't really felt like playing the fangames. Well... Lisa the First counts as a yume nikki fangame, except it's pretty dialog heavy and spells out what its imagery is pretty thoroughly. I'm still not sure what to think of that game.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Acne Rain posted:

funny story: Barkley shut up and jam gaiden is not actually rpgmaker. They tried that at first but switched to gamemaker. The zeyboyd rpgs are their own engine too.

yeah i realized that shortly after making the thread but it was too late to change it

whoops!!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Excels posted:

has anyone ever considered or started toward making their own thing in RPGM? i have VX Ace and i can't make heads nor tails of this interface, i can see why these games take years to make
Me and a friend traded a game back and forth for a good... half a year? It basically consisted of us adding bizarre jokes and obscure easter eggs, sending it back for the other guy to find, then adding something else etc... it was a lot of fun to make, but the results were frankly too "you had to be there" - nobody wants to sit through someone else's inside jokes - so I don't think we ever went too far with it.

I keep meaning to do that again sometime. If anything, it was at least fun to do.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Commander Keenan posted:

The Legion Saga games were really good if you like the Suikoden heritage of JRPGs.

Oh poo poo someone else who remembers those games. They are basically Suidoken fan games but gently caress I enjoyed them.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

The Kins posted:

Me and a friend traded a game back and forth for a good... half a year? It basically consisted of us adding bizarre jokes and obscure easter eggs, sending it back for the other guy to find, then adding something else etc... it was a lot of fun to make, but the results were frankly too "you had to be there" - nobody wants to sit through someone else's inside jokes - so I don't think we ever went too far with it.

I keep meaning to do that again sometime. If anything, it was at least fun to do.

I did that with a friend as well, like... 10 years ago. We actually got a whole several hours long game put together. We tried to do it again with RMVX recently but it's just not the same~

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

http://rpgmaker.net/games/6541/

I thought The Heart Pumps Clay was pretty cool! Really distinct characters, mechanics that play into the central theme of the story and present you with meaningful choices about how to progress through the game, and it was short enough for the experience not to outstay its welcome.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Webbeh posted:

Wishmoo. RPG Advocate.

Those were the days.

Ha ha, I think I remember you from the forums.

I just did sprites and scripting never any games though, I think my screen name back then was kappa, must have been 15 years ago or something.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Fredrik1 posted:

Ha ha, I think I remember you from the forums.

I just did sprites and scripting never any games though, I think my screen name back then was kappa, must have been 15 years ago or something.

I was Webbeh on there too. And I usually stuck to spriting and community drama.

I recognize the username.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

How do you make sprite art? I mean, I can go into paint and put down a bunch of pixels, but how do you do it well?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Worst Girl posted:

How do you make sprite art? I mean, I can go into paint and put down a bunch of pixels, but how do you do it well?

you put the pixels into forms that are aesthetically pleasing and recognizable as things, then you do a whole sheet of those for every animation or pose

thats how it work

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

I remember The Sword and the Fish being surprising good and long, mainly because it was fascinating to watch it grow from an obvious babby's first RTP project to something that actually got the occasional chuckle. Seriously, even if it never becomes an out and out conventionally good game it's interesting just for the transition (apparently the game was made over seven years and it shows). It also has an all-original soundtrack that was made in 1992 for non-game related reasons, which is interesting.

It's pretty much the Platonic ideal of a free, amateur RPG Maker game in my eyes, warts and all.

I haven't played it since shortly after its release, but I kinda wanna give it another spin now. I doubt it aged well, but it hadn't aged well when it first came out, so the curiosity aspect is still there.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
There was an RPGMaker game I played a few years back called Everlong or something like that. Game had a lot of terrible moments including an attempted rape scene among things. :wtc:

I quit playing when boss fights had over 10,000 HP a fight. gently caress that.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I remember The Sword and the Fish being surprising good and long, mainly because it was fascinating to watch it grow from an obvious babby's first RTP project to something that actually got the occasional chuckle. Seriously, even if it never becomes an out and out conventionally good game it's interesting just for the transition (apparently the game was made over seven years and it shows). It also has an all-original soundtrack that was made in 1992 for non-game related reasons, which is interesting.

It's pretty much the Platonic ideal of a free, amateur RPG Maker game in my eyes, warts and all.

I haven't played it since shortly after its release, but I kinda wanna give it another spin now. I doubt it aged well, but it hadn't aged well when it first came out, so the curiosity aspect is still there.

The best RTP game I played was The Cave or something like that. You were a kid who got caught in a cave-in and it was just pure puzzle solving and kind of clever at that.

And on the opposite end of the spectrum was a 100% custom game obviously inspired by Ico where you're a scarecrow or something(???) going through a giant spooky castle. Again, no fights just puzzles.

Worst Girl posted:

There's a metric shitload of resources out there. I forget the dynamics of an RPGM spritesheet but you're best starting with something simple like a static object then working up from there. Study old games with art styles you like because 8-bit and 16-bit artists were incredibly clever in how they portrayed fully realized characters with limited size and palettes.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hello

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

i vaguely recall that you're a pretty cool guy

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Excels posted:

i vaguely recall that you're a pretty cool guy

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

what is a gunbileg and why does she fear them

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Excels posted:

it's what happens when you don't know how to fix the rpgmaker font glitch and take the screenshots anyway. she's right to fear them imo

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
both LISA games are hella good

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Worst Girl posted:

Learn the basics of conventional artwork (form, lighting, color theory, texture, etc.) and then miniaturize it.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
I am so glad this thread exists, and I am so glad Don's Adventures was mentioned.

"To be or not to be? ....LOL! Fighto!"

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
The Sword and The Fish is actually real good. It's teenage as all hell and at one point you rock out to Weezer. Later you gotta kick your drummer's rear end cause he becomes a vampire. I vaguely remember Kid Rock being involved. Everyone should play it.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
I've had RM2K on every computer of mine since my Win98 machine. The first project I ever started was an adaptation of Willy Wonka with all actors being represented by members of the Animal and Monster charsets; I was 9 at the time.

It took me about a year to figure out switches, so plot progression in my projects at the time was handled by items and points of no return.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Someone in another thread was saying that they prefer 2k3 over VX Ace. VX Ace is the version I own, but is there a compelling reason to switch over to an older version?

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Not to my (admittedly limited) knowledge.
2k3 is better for the retro experience and maybe for running around making experimental stuff to get familiar with the interface, but as far as power and capability goes, VX Ace has it beat soundly.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
Lisa the Painful is a legit great game.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Relevant to the thread: Steam is having a sale for the next two days that includes big discounts on rpgmaker xp and vx. It also includes a poo poo ton of rpgmaker games and anime crap.

Learned about it from a slowbeef video, I'll be picking up The Last Word, a game that is rpgmaker but uses its own artstyle and has a very unique conversation system (you get power to raise your tact so you can be aggressive and get the other guy to lose his composure or something)

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Acne Rain posted:

Relevant to the thread: Steam is having a sale for the next two days that includes big discounts on rpgmaker xp and vx. It also includes a poo poo ton of rpgmaker games and anime crap.

Learned about it from a slowbeef video, I'll be picking up The Last Word, a game that is rpgmaker but uses its own artstyle and has a very unique conversation system (you get power to raise your tact so you can be aggressive and get the other guy to lose his composure or something)

legionwood 2 costs money? i downloaded that for free

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
free games pop up on steam costing money quite frequently but with new bells + whistles, perhaps it has new graphics or features? I don't know any of these games, though.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Excels posted:

legionwood 2 costs money? i downloaded that for free

I remember a lot of these games being from the 2014 Indie Game Maker Contest.
Massive clusterfuck that it was, glad to see something good came out of it.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Acne Rain posted:

I'm not seeing any games for sale. It just shows the banner. :psyduck:

EDIT: Finally, it loaded. :wtc:

EDIT2: Nope, still not working. Even if I click a game it takes me back to the Steam main store page. :negative:

EDIT3: Finally got it working. At least I could snag some of the tilesets I needed for VX.

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 28, 2015

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/382380

Is anyone else playing Amber Throne? Fantastic production values for an RPG Maker game, though the engine still makes for a clunky experience sometimes. I'm having fun, but I wasn't expecting too much. Story/dialogue haven't been super engaging so far, but the setting and overall premise are interesting, and I figure things might heat up later.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Excels posted:

It's a mistranslation of "Gumby leg", a horrible disease.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

guys how is your game coming along? you are making your own games aren't you

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
it's going pretty drat good thx for asking. rpg maker 2k3 is a helluva lot more fun to use than XP or VX imo

also did anyone hear about the new RPGMaker that's coming up that has a lot of new goodies to play with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Douk Douk posted:

it's going pretty drat good thx for asking. rpg maker 2k3 is a helluva lot more fun to use than XP or VX imo

also did anyone hear about the new RPGMaker that's coming up that has a lot of new goodies to play with

Javascript and HTML support is legit exciting, all the Ruby stuff turned me off. But why are they touting 3 layers as a new thing? I'm pretty sure XP had a third layer and in 200X you could fake it with events.

But yes, 2k3 is perfection.

• Locked thread