Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

discuss the indie rpg genre here. share favorites, games that maybe exceeded your expectations, stuff you just don't 'get', whatever! discussion of indie games in general is fine but main topic is rpgs. be chill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

i downloaded a bunch of these recently on a whim

-Embric of Wulfhammer's Castle
-Dear Red
-Kanye Quest 3030
-Touhou Mother
-Legionwood 2
-Wadanohara
-Miserere
-Demon Legacy
-Gingiva

debating where to start

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Shima Honnou posted:

start with kanye quest

i played like the first five minutes but it seemed kinda shoddy, does it get good later on?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Poniard posted:

Touhou mother is well done and difficult and I feel like a massive autist because I understood most of the references

I got past the Robosters by letting my health scale back up every time i healed, I managed to kill them with 2 of 4 girls alive. Behind the guard is the Infinite Bandanna, which gives you unlimited MP and Ohm Cane which fully revives KO'd teammates and never runs out. Equip Mima with Bandanna and you are invincible for the rest of the game

It kind of makes the last leg of the game a joke with Reimu though, if you equip the bandanna she can utterly destroy enemies and bosses with unlimited PK Dream which does 9999 on everything

Excels fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 12, 2015

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

i hope Barkley 2 lives up to the hype of Barkley Gaiden

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

has anyone ever considered or started toward making their own thing in RPGM? i have VX Ace and i can't make heads nor tails of this interface, i can see why these games take years to make

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

well if a game like Always Sometimes Monsters can get away with using nothing but stock assets and still make money on Steam, who knows :iiam:

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

i'm so hungry for more of suikoden 2 that i might even play this weird fangame... even though the art is... ech

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I forget the name but I liked the graphics in this game, except it otherwise seemed completely directionless while trying too hard to be like OFF or Space Funeral, does it get better?

It's called Middens, and the honest truth is that the guy who made it is loving batshit crazy. He keeps a blog and most of it doesn't make any sense. Gingiva is the spiritual sequel and it's every bit as weird.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

nftyw posted:

Wadanohara was cute and enjoyable, though the battles were ridiculously easy (you could very well skip most of them anyway)

played this, can confirm it is comfy and adorable.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Huh, I'll have to give it a second chance then. I played it immediately after playing Space Funeral and OFF back-to-back, so I guess the legitimate insanity came off as pure monkey-cheese after the comparatively measured and purposeful weirdness of those two. There's something fascinating about the fusion of outsider art and games.

http://gamejolt.com/blog/interview-myformerselves/33/

guy is fuckin bonkers.

Middens guy posted:

The 8-bit Mario games, for instance, are so sparsely detailed their officially intended narrative of a princess being kidnapped by a barong like lizard king is only actually emphatically expressed in the instruction guides. Overtime this condoned plot has of course been consolidated by subsequent releases, but at that time the Mario games were really about whatever players fancied them to be about. My friends’ and I’s version involved an incontinent Italian venturing from portable toilet to portable toilet to relieve his potent diarrhea.

…though my defense I was young by any count.

In any case this I use as an example of the usefulness of void which has shaped my own outlook. A discriminating intellect may even conclude that void is the foundation of existence because within void there is space and space is what houses all material matter.

quote:

When I have completed the last of my obligations I hope to high-tail it to some nature set enclave. In the isolated setting of a hermitage, liberated from the demands and requisites of collective society, I would feel the freedom to live a faultless life.

Excels fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 29, 2015

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Bogart posted:

Seconding OFF. Do Yume Nikki / .flow count? Cause those are pretty good too. (All of these with the caveat that you never look into the fan works.)

Somebody tell me why Space Funeral is good. I read the LP. I just don't get it.

It's a great example of functional surrealist game design.

Also .flow and Yume 2kki are the only YN clones legitimately worth playing, many fans consider them to be a set.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Acne Rain posted:

funny story: Barkley shut up and jam gaiden is not actually rpgmaker. They tried that at first but switched to gamemaker. The zeyboyd rpgs are their own engine too.

yeah i realized that shortly after making the thread but it was too late to change it

whoops!!

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Worst Girl posted:

How do you make sprite art? I mean, I can go into paint and put down a bunch of pixels, but how do you do it well?

you put the pixels into forms that are aesthetically pleasing and recognizable as things, then you do a whole sheet of those for every animation or pose

thats how it work

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

i vaguely recall that you're a pretty cool guy

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

what is a gunbileg and why does she fear them

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Acne Rain posted:

Relevant to the thread: Steam is having a sale for the next two days that includes big discounts on rpgmaker xp and vx. It also includes a poo poo ton of rpgmaker games and anime crap.

Learned about it from a slowbeef video, I'll be picking up The Last Word, a game that is rpgmaker but uses its own artstyle and has a very unique conversation system (you get power to raise your tact so you can be aggressive and get the other guy to lose his composure or something)

legionwood 2 costs money? i downloaded that for free

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

guys how is your game coming along? you are making your own games aren't you

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Black Wombat posted:

While this is from quite a few pages back, I just thought I'd say that I downloaded it on this recommendation and played it and this game is real real good. It invokes both thinking and feeling. I encourage people to play it.

did you revisit the Zones after purifying them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

i like how in each zone you get the same enemies but slowly decaying until you revisit the last purified zone and you are fighting literal bloody torsos

• Locked thread