Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Why post Kirby when you can play Kirby™

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

idk like i guess it lead to things like the idea of a platformer that wasn't based around difficulty, and where technical skill at least for the main game isn't the thrust of it. this then lead to more experience based platformers and a downplaying of titles like the japanese mario 2 which were extremely technically challenging and set a high bar for entry. i suppose though such earlier games were based on the old paradigm set out by arcades which really was defunct once coin-op wasn't part of the equation, and kirby was a modern and forward thinking game in that regard. i think on balance i prefer pre kirby considering all of this though.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

lol i took what u said and completely misinterpreted it hahaha

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
You really went to town over "Post Kirby!" my man

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

noirstronaut posted:

You really went to town over "Post Kirby!" my man

thanks i glad you noticed, its kind of "My Thing". if you enjoyed that post then try looking at my post history for more examples of the strong personal brand i have cultivated on this forum

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Stux posted:

thanks i glad you noticed, its kind of "My Thing". if you enjoyed that post then try looking at my post history for more examples of the strong personal brand i have cultivated on this forum

:whitewater:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Looper posted:

Heard some Kirby music during the Oscars tonight

Would love a timestamp for that, you might've mistaken a jauntier movie theme for Kirby.

e: Not calling you dumb, I'm genuinely curious what movie sounds like Kirby. If we're putting money on it, I'd guess you heard the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang theme.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 23, 2015

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
We rented the new Kirby, beat it in a day, and will be returning it to the video store shortly.

It was a fun little game to be sure, but if it wasn't a Nintendo title it would have been like a $14.99 download thing, not $39.99.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Triskelli posted:

Would love a timestamp for that, you might've mistaken a jauntier movie theme for Kirby.

e: Not calling you dumb, I'm genuinely curious what movie sounds like Kirby. If we're putting money on it, I'd guess you heard the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang theme.

The main theme for Grand Budapest Hotel I think was the one with some vague similarity to a Kirby song (green greens???)

At least that's the one I think he means dunno

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

bloodysabbath posted:

We rented the new Kirby, beat it in a day, and will be returning it to the video store shortly.

It was a fun little game to be sure, but if it wasn't a Nintendo title it would have been like a $14.99 download thing, not $39.99.

You got gold medals, all the figurines and music, and beat all the challenges in one day? I miss the days when I could devote a solid day to a game like that

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

The main theme for Grand Budapest Hotel I think was the one with some vague similarity to a Kirby song (green greens???)

Yeah that's the one. I hadn't heard it before but for like 3 seconds I was all "why the gently caress are they playing Kirby music at the Oscars"?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I had $5 in eshop credit to burn, I wasn't going to get this until it went on sale, but curiosity got the better of me

I regret nothing. I do have to say, getting all the chests is more challenging than I thought it would be. Some of the minute challenges are actually pretty brutal.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Its a really good game. A lot of people cared too much about what their favorite review site for children's toys said so it put some people off. Its good to see people are returning to their senses that kirby games own!

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

jivjov posted:

You got gold medals, all the figurines and music, and beat all the challenges in one day? I miss the days when I could devote a solid day to a game like that

Yeah, I'm still only halfway through World 2 with all the figurines and gold medals and I've the game since the night of launch day.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Hakkesshu posted:

I was all "why the gently caress are they playing Kirby music at the Oscars"?

I think the real question is why aren't they playing Kirby music at the Oscars?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

When are they going to make a claymation Kirby movie? The groundwork has already been laid!

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah that's the one. I hadn't heard it before but for like 3 seconds I was all "why the gently caress are they playing Kirby music at the Oscars"?

Yeah that makes more sense.

Also, watch Grand Budapest Hotel, it's just as fun as any Kirby game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H22fZWySJ50

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

If you like Wes Anderson movies you'll like Grand Budapest. If you don't, you won't. It doesn't being anything novel to the table.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I thought it was really charming despite that one with the kid with the raccoon hat putting me to sleep.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Triskelli posted:

Yeah that makes more sense.

Also, watch Grand Budapest Hotel, it's just as fun as any Kirby game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H22fZWySJ50

That's a good song

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I want people's thoughts on 7-2 because that's one of the best levels in the entire series in my honest opinion. It's really, REALLY good.

God yes, I just did it and it was amazing. Easily my favorite in the game so far. Is that the only one with that gimmick? I want more.

My feelings are mixed on the game as a whole. When it's good it's really good. But not all the levels are great, the repeated bosses are disappointing, I don't like the 15 second rooms when they're in levels and you only have one shot at them, and it's really annoying how you get the diary entries.

In the end I like it enough that I'll go for all the treasure chests and diary pages, but I don't think I'm gonna feel compelled to 100% it for all the medals and challenges.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Wes Anderson should totally make a Kirby movie, especially a clay one. Or get the people who do Wallace and Gromit. I can't think of anyone else would be able to do something like Kirby and keep the charm.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Wes should direct a Kirby film written by the guys who do Wallace and Gromit.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

noirstronaut posted:

Wes should direct a Kirby film written by the guys who do Wallace and Gromit.

I support this.

Edit: Also, just beat 7-2. Man, that level was rad all the way through.

All Frogs fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 23, 2015

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
I forgot this was coming out and rented Smash Bros. instead. gently caress!!

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

All Frogs posted:

Wes Anderson should totally make a Kirby movie, especially a clay one. Or get the people who do Wallace and Gromit. I can't think of anyone else would be able to do something like Kirby and keep the charm.

So...Bill Murray as Dedede?

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Ometeotl posted:

Sure. I can see Willem Dafoe as Meta Knight too.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Ometeotl posted:

Yes.

Bill Murray will also play Kirby

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Has anyone 100%'d the game and released a YouTube video of the entire soundtrack in English? I need it for a thing.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

noirstronaut posted:

Has anyone 100%'d the game and released a YouTube video of the entire soundtrack in English? I need it for a thing.

I have, but you can find the entire soundtrack on youtube pretty easily.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
There's such a thing as too many collectables, and nobody told the level designer for this game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Canvas Curse was a lot worse about that sort of thing.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I feel like it's an okay amount. Most treasures are obvious and then it's just getting lots of stars to get the gold medal.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yeah for real. The big bonus here is that each treasure chest instantly gives you a prize, so I actually want to collect them all so I can get all the figures and music. Canvas Curse's medals were much less fun.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Pretty short game all things considered. My g/f and her 4 year old beat it in a few days.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Ometeotl posted:

Murray can be Rick the Hamster.
Get Danny DeVito for Dedede.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I still haven't 100%ed Canvas Curse and it's entirely because of not being good enough at that drawing minigame

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
This game is super rad.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

absolutely anything posted:

I still haven't 100%ed Canvas Curse and it's entirely because of not being good enough at that drawing minigame

Don't worry, it was only released a few days ago, if you hurry you can still be part of the elite few, amongst the lying 13 year olds and also the best of the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Fix posted:

Don't worry, it was only released a few days ago, if you hurry you can still be part of the elite few, amongst the lying 13 year olds and also the best of the best.

Isn't Canvas Curse a DS title?

• Locked thread