Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
What was great about Mass Attack is how much loving VALUE it had as a purchase. Every level is great, fun to replay (and you probably will to get all the hidden poo poo), and in addition to that, exploring levels unlocked loving AMAZING mini-games. Like, mini-games designed with just as much care as the main game. You could play Pinball forever, but there's also a bullet hell and this crazy mode where you play speed versions of dragon quest-style boss fights. I think the pinball game as well has Marx as the final "boss", which is actually the only version of the character I have seen, having not played the game he's originally in.

Mass Attack is such a ludicrously fresh game concept too. 2-D Pikmin WORKS, and it works really well, they managed to condense RTS elements into a side-scroller with rather great success. There's some problems when it comes to really really coordinating multiple types of actions, but you very rarely have to do that, and in general you'll come up with a good variation of strategies to address each threat. The boss battles were great, the music was obviously great AND you could play the 3DS while in sleep mode IIRC so it became a portable Kirby walkman. I was at a period where I was kind of down on 3DS games (I think I had just played the Adventure Time game and was rather disappointed with it) and Mass Attack shocked me with just how much GAME there was. For thirty dollars, it's easily a month's worth of fun, if not a lifetime, given the great mini game collection. The SHMUP mode is loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH
Kirby 64 also had a fairly extensive list of enemies you could inhale and then hold above your head and they would do a thing, almost like a mini-power. Most of them were useless but if you inhaled a fish and then held it above your head you could swim super fast, and if you inhaled a pterodactyl thing you could glide across the screen.

As far as actual powers from 64 go, my favorite is the dynamite.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

BottledBodhisvata posted:

What was great about Mass Attack is how much loving VALUE it had as a purchase. Every level is great, fun to replay (and you probably will to get all the hidden poo poo), and in addition to that, exploring levels unlocked loving AMAZING mini-games. Like, mini-games designed with just as much care as the main game. You could play Pinball forever, but there's also a bullet hell and this crazy mode where you play speed versions of dragon quest-style boss fights. I think the pinball game as well has Marx as the final "boss", which is actually the only version of the character I have seen, having not played the game he's originally in.

Mass Attack is such a ludicrously fresh game concept too. 2-D Pikmin WORKS, and it works really well, they managed to condense RTS elements into a side-scroller with rather great success. There's some problems when it comes to really really coordinating multiple types of actions, but you very rarely have to do that, and in general you'll come up with a good variation of strategies to address each threat. The boss battles were great, the music was obviously great AND you could play the 3DS while in sleep mode IIRC so it became a portable Kirby walkman. I was at a period where I was kind of down on 3DS games (I think I had just played the Adventure Time game and was rather disappointed with it) and Mass Attack shocked me with just how much GAME there was. For thirty dollars, it's easily a month's worth of fun, if not a lifetime, given the great mini game collection. The SHMUP mode is loving awesome.

those minigames were so loving good

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

The Kirby anime was pretty good too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCpLotWEQLA

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Complexcalibur posted:

Kirby 64 also had a fairly extensive list of enemies you could inhale and then hold above your head and they would do a thing, almost like a mini-power. Most of them were useless but if you inhaled a fish and then held it above your head you could swim super fast, and if you inhaled a pterodactyl thing you could glide across the screen.

I don't think I knew this and now I have to go try it! :stare:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm constantly surprised with how much fun I have with Kirby games despite the relative lack of challenge. Epic Yarn took it to the extreme where you literally could not fail, but Kirby games honestly are never really that difficult (the Orb form of the final boss of Adventures notwithstanding), they're just fun romps. Any challenge is usually relegated to collecting all the doodads rather than actual progression. They're just fun little romps and do a great job of being that, but I'm just surprised that I still enjoy each new Kirby game.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

jivjov posted:

I'm constantly surprised with how much fun I have with Kirby games despite the relative lack of challenge. Epic Yarn took it to the extreme where you literally could not fail, but Kirby games honestly are never really that difficult (the Orb form of the final boss of Adventures notwithstanding), they're just fun romps. Any challenge is usually relegated to collecting all the doodads rather than actual progression. They're just fun little romps and do a great job of being that, but I'm just surprised that I still enjoy each new Kirby game.

The real challenge in most modern Kirby games is getting all the collectables. Epic Yarn got pretty hardcore towards the end if you wanted all the loot.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What's your favorite Kirby boss? Mine is Kracko, he's a cool but angry cloud guy. Shows up in basically every Kirby game too. His deluxe version was a real pain in Triple Deluxe.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I have recently (within the last 24 hours) decided to compile gifs of every smash character eating. So far I have Kirby:

and Lucina:

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Fritzler posted:

I have recently (within the last 24 hours) decided to compile gifs of every smash character eating. So far I have Kirby:

and Lucina:

These are cute and good (and the bottom one is my avatar!).

But put Kirby and Lucina together and it becomes The Cutest Thing Ever.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Fawf posted:

The Kirby anime was pretty good too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCpLotWEQLA

This is the greatest thing I have ever seen.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

What's your favorite Kirby boss? Mine is Kracko, he's a cool but angry cloud guy. Shows up in basically every Kirby game too. His deluxe version was a real pain in Triple Deluxe.

Meta Knight, Marx, Dyna Blade, Fatty Whale, Heavy Lobster, Computer Virus, basically everything in Super Star

The bosses in Triple Deluxe are all really well-designed but my final opinion's on hold until I finish the game

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The best bosses are Triple Deluxes. Like that game had so much love put into the bosses it's nuts- and then there's the DX versions that get even more attacks and you rarely see the same exact attack twice, it's crazy.

Then it all mounts with the best hidden boss in the series in my opinion.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Kirby's Adventure was one of my absolute favorite games of my childhood, and I played through it again the other week. It's still great.

I was a dumb kid and never bought Kirby's Dream Land 2 or 3, though, because I thought they got rid of swallowing enemies to gain powers. Because they were sequels to Kirby's Dream Land and not Kirby's Adventure, you see.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Rollersnake posted:

Kirby's Adventure was one of my absolute favorite games of my childhood, and I played through it again the other week. It's still great.

I was a dumb kid and never bought Kirby's Dream Land 2 or 3, though, because I thought they got rid of swallowing enemies to gain powers. Because they were sequels to Kirby's Dream Land and not Kirby's Adventure, you see.

You should fix this asap. 3 even has special guest showings from ROB and Samus and stuff, it owns.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Guys this is cute as all hell but WHY GOD WHY is it out this month everywhere but where I live? Why is it region locked?

Why...why can't I see my buddy Kirby :(

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I would like to remind the thread that King Dedede's name in France is "Roi Dadidou".

ZOOP MASTER 50 CAL
Apr 14, 2004

baby hipster pope

Internet Kraken posted:

Mr. Shine and Mr. Bright are super cool, especially in Dream Land 2 where they have bonkers amazing team-up attacks. Goriath is also radical, the fight is super dynamic and you can tell that they composed the boss theme for this specific fight and then just gave Goriath's theme to all the other bosses because they knew it would be awesome.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Actually Metal General also owns, especially on EX Mode when you're like holy poo poo!

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Kirby bosses are fun to battle and I'm really looking forward to seeing them in clay form.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

Mine is probably Heavy Lobster or Computer Virus. I like the look of the former and the gameplay of the latter a lot. I also liked Flowery Woods from Triple Deluxe because I was expecting a more traditional Whispy Woods fight and it turned out to be an even better one.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

kirby bosses are all cool even if in most games in the series you can just hold down the R button and block all damage

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Super Star, Return to Dream Land, and Triple Deluxe are the only ones with guarding, as far as I remember. Hardly a majority.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Rainbow Curse could use a few more bosses but it's still doing a lot better than Canvas Curse which had, like, one.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I demand to see the disk art for rainbow curse, this is pretty much going to be the deciding factor on whether I go digital or not

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Not a Children posted:

I demand to see the disk art for rainbow curse, this is pretty much going to be the deciding factor on whether I go digital or not

It has a claw rainbow around the middle and it leads to a star with Clay Kirby popping out of it waving at you. It's really nice.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It has a claw rainbow around the middle and it leads to a star with Clay Kirby popping out of it waving at you. It's really nice.

Welp, guess my decision to get a 2TB hard drive for my wii u was indeed a terrible one

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Not a Children posted:

Welp, guess my decision to get a 2TB hard drive for my wii u was indeed a terrible one

Best picture I could find.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

MinibarMatchman posted:

kirby bosses are all cool even if in most games in the series you can just hold down the R button and block all damage

it's been changing lately with Super Star Ultra, Return to Dreamland, and Triple Deluxe because the true arenas are hard as gently caress and I still regularly 50/50 win/lose those game modes even picking the OP powers like Tornado and Leaf.

Also it's a challenge doing True Arena with every single power in Triple Deluxe, I've only beaten it so far with Leaf, Whip, Bell, and Archer

It's just the number of "grab" type attacks from the bosses in the newer games that demolish half your health meter if they hit just keep you from cheesing the bosses without using something like leaf hide.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I love Every Ability True Arena runs. Pulled them off in SSU and RtDL, but Triple Deluxe is giving me some trouble.

Mainly because lf the holes in a few of the boss stages.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I beat the true arena in Triple Deluxe with hammer. I can't imagine how you're supposed to beat most of the bosses without abusing invincibility frames to avoid damage.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Triple Deluxe is a very fun game to play.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Kirby Valentine treats!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sO7FeXTO-w

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Kirby's Pinball Land is my favorite pinball game and possibly my favorite Kirby game. If you didn't like it you should try it again.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

Kirby's Pinball Land is my favorite pinball game and possibly my favorite Kirby game. If you didn't like it you should try it again.

It was fun!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Crossposting from the Amiibo thread:

mabels big day posted:

What does the insignia on the back of King DeDeDe's robe mean? I'd like to know more about the good King's past, and the lore of Dreamworld.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
It's a V for victory, the royal swag

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Kirby and friends look after each other

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Maybe if Kirby were in Mario Party it wouldn't ruin friendships

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU