Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Powershift posted:

In my books, kansas city is doable iron man from vegas, but you might not be that dumb.

I once had a trip deadheading a tour bus from Phoenix to Cleveland, and the leg from Albuquerque to "Somewhere in Kansas, we'll work that out later" was the itinerary for the second day. I stopped in Denver to meet a friend for dinner, and I didn't start searching for hotels until I got back on the road. By that time though, every hotel along I-70 was booked. As in no longer picking up the phone booked. As in 'No Vacancy' signs, written on notebook paper and posted on the doors booked. As in two national reservation hotline numbers hanging up on you booked. Town after town, not a room was to be had. Kansas had SHUT DOWN.

gently caress it. Sun's down, road's clear, I feel good, so let's keep driving. I could have pulled over and napped it out at a rest stop if I felt like I really needed to, but I took the gamble that I wouldn't get pulled over by commercial vehicle enforcement and kept going as long as my eyes stayed open. Didn't even feel too tired until the sun started coming up.. then drowsyness hit me like a bag of bowling balls.

I rolled into Columbia, MO at 6am, 24 hours and a thousand miles from where I'd begun my day. My log book was a joke and I ended up buying a new one to start on from scratch. I got a room after some persuasion at the desk (looking like an extra from the walking dead likely helped my case) and slept for 14 hours. Afterwards, I ate an entire medium pizza. Not something I'd recommend doing too many times in the future.

tl;dr, What I've learned is it's way worth it to splurge on a $50-$80 hotel room when driving these kinds of distances, opposed to trying to run straight through or catch naps in your car. Either you'll have a cold, fitful 'sleep' of about 3 hours and wake up FREEZING and not really that better off afterward, or you'll spend half of the next day absolutely useless and dead to the world. Unless you've got a dying relative on the other end, it's just not worth it and you will pay for it one way or the other.

NoWake fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread