Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Popehoist posted:

my new 3DSXL is cool and all, but I can't help wishing I had got the normal one instead. This feels a bit too big and the huge screens only seem to highlight the 3DS's poor graphical power

Sounds like my love life!

But honestly, you'll grow to love it. I had a normal 3DS and going to the XL was really weird since I had no reason to play it and the screens were enormous. However, I saw a regular 3DS in the wild after some months of having the XL and was surprised at how tiny it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
The 3DS is actually a convenient size to put in your pocket though. I only got the XL because they were sold out of the normal one but now I kind of wish I'd been patient, because idk how I'm gonna take this thing around with me anymore v0v

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I've never put my 3DS in my pocket aside from showing that I had big pockets. But yeah, I get you.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Good news, everyone! :farnsworth:

Remembered I had an old pair of glasses with anti-glare coating, so I tried those instead for my 3DS. It worked, an hour of the MH4 demo and EO4 and no headaches. I'm free to play excellent games :woop:

Now the question is, do I want a New 3DS so I have proper camera controls for MH4. Probably not gonna get much for the XL at gamestop am I.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Ciaphas posted:

Remembered I had an old pair of glasses with anti-glare coating, so I tried those instead for my 3DS. It worked, I'm free to play excellent games without headaches :woop:

Now the question is, do I want a New 3DS so I have proper camera controls for MH4 :shobon:

Hooray! I'm very happy for you :)

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
New Nintendo 3DS Chat: Yes, you want the New 3DS

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ciaphas posted:

Remembered I had an old pair of glasses with anti-glare coating, so I tried those instead for my 3DS. It worked, an hour of the MH4 demo and EO4 and no headaches. I'm free to play excellent games :woop:

Now the question is, do I want a New 3DS so I have proper camera controls for MH4. Probably not gonna get much for the XL at gamestop am I.

Go spoil yourself and get a New3DSXL.

Suggestion for the OP for how often it appears;

Q: Should I get a new3DSXL?

A: YES!

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 15, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

New Nintendo 3DS Chat: Yes, you want the New 3DS

Oh sure I know I'm beating a dead horse :v:. It's just that unless the New 3DS (New 3DSxl? is there even a smaller New?) has better wireless hardware in it or something (B/G only? seriously nintendo) the only improvement that matters to me over my ye olde 3dsxl is the extra circle pad, since 3D is meaningless to me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ciaphas posted:

Oh sure I know I'm beating a dead horse :v:. It's just that unless the New 3DS (New 3DSxl? is there even a smaller New?) has better wireless hardware in it or something (B/G only? seriously nintendo) the only improvement that matters to me is the extra circle pad, since 3D is meaningless to me.

Yes, it downloads much faster, and it actually has good speakers built in instead of the tinny ones on the original XL.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yes, it downloads much faster, and it actually has good speakers built in instead of the tinny ones on the original XL.

Welp. My wallet is sure to be filled with regret tomorrow, but I personally won't be!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Ciaphas posted:

This is the best feel good story I've read all week. :allears: Have fun playing fun games!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I have a 3DS XL right now and I'm looking to probably get a Japanese New 3DS non-XL (or LL for those in the know). Anybody have an idea how the Japanese eShop works and if I can just buy a bunch of pre-loaded cash cards to pick up games that way?

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Ciaphas posted:

I think the trade-in deal still runs through the weekend, so an XL will be worth $100 if you put it towards a New 3DS.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Phone posted:

I have a 3DS XL right now and I'm looking to probably get a Japanese New 3DS non-XL (or LL for those in the know). Anybody have an idea how the Japanese eShop works and if I can just buy a bunch of pre-loaded cash cards to pick up games that way?

I'm pretty sure you can even just use an American credit card.

However, you can't system transfer between regions.

Technogeek posted:

I think the trade-in deal still runs through the weekend, so an XL will be worth $100 if you put it towards a New 3DS.

It actually ends tomorrow (15th)

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

Technogeek posted:

^Yup, and regular 3DSs are $75 I believe. I won't be taking advantage of it, though; my zelda link between worlds XL is too precious.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Technogeek posted:

Neat. Apparently New 3DSXLs are sold out across the city, though. Doggone it Nintendo.

Oh well, L-targeting seemed to work OK in the MH4U demo anyway, so I won't shed too many tears yet.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Ciaphas posted:

Neat. Apparently New 3DSXLs are sold out across the city, though. Doggone it Nintendo.

Oh well, L-targeting seemed to work OK in the MH4U demo anyway, so I won't shed too many tears yet.

i'm so glad you can hun mons in comfort

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

DoctorWhat posted:

i'm so glad you can hun mons in comfort

You and me both, I loved MH3U to bits. Still wish MH4U was on a bigger screen out here, but I can't win them all, I suppose.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Obligatory Toast posted:

Hahaha oh man does that blow.

I mean, this does really suck, but not entirely surprising because fuuuuuuuck Best Buy.

Idk Best Buy is OK in my book. I mean sure, they canceled my Majora's Mask N3DS preorder, but this lead to me getting Monster Hunter 4U and Majora's Mask for $24 total. They even delivered on release day.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Ciaphas posted:

:D fantastic

if theyre still doing the special you can get a fair amount for it as a deal for if you're trading up to a new one. of course, they're sold out at the moment but if it's going to last a little while then you could do that.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Its amazing how much better playing monhun with an newXL is

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Saagonsa posted:

The problem with SMTIV is that as far as I know there's no way to tell how far into one alignment you are. Just start making all the chaos decisions you can until the people at the bar aren't sure what to think of you or say something about you being chaotic or whatever, then try to maintain a balance.

Though the final 2 areas before the big decision don't have any bars to check your alignment at and you can't go back to Tokyo until the decision is made so just make sure to keep a save at the beginning of the second area (you'll know them when you see them) and go back to it if your alignment isn't what you want after the decision.

Welp, turns out as soon as I got out of the Ring of Gaea dungeons and got back to a bar, the dude says I'm a tough guy to get a handle on. I'm guessing that means I'm neutral.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I've been telling myself for this past week that I don't need a New 3DS since the XL I bought a little over a year ago is perfectly functional and I don't use it that much anyway.

That said, as soon as the stores open in a few hours, I'll probably head out and buy one of these goddamn things. :eng99:

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

Doc Morbid posted:

I've been telling myself for this past week that I don't need a New 3DS since the XL I bought a little over a year ago is perfectly functional and I don't use it that much anyway.

That said, as soon as the stores open in a few hours, I'll probably head out and buy one of these goddamn things. :eng99:

If it makes you feel any better I bought the LBW 3ds Black Friday 2013. Then knowing fully well that the n3DSXL would be coming in a few months and had a feeling Nintendo would put out a MM one, I bought the Persona Q 3DS. Assuming Best Buy doesn't gently caress me, and they will, I will also own the MM 3DSXL. No I did not sell either of the other 2. I did give the LBW one to my sister, but she will never use it and will probably give it back to me at some point.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Kaubocks posted:

Welp, turns out as soon as I got out of the Ring of Gaea dungeons and got back to a bar, the dude says I'm a tough guy to get a handle on. I'm guessing that means I'm neutral.

Yes, you're neutral. I think the easiest way to get the Neutral ending is by leaning slightly more towards Law, then picking Chaos options at the final decision. Because of the way the alignment system works, it's entirely possible to be too Neutral to get the Neutral ending and it sucks.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

So I got the New 3DS and loaded up Afterburner 2 on it with the arcade cabinet and environmental sounds and tuned the 3d just right and it's like I'm really there! :catdrugs:

All joking aside, I'm glad I have the disposable income and the attention span of a gnat and jumped on going ahead and upgrading. Just got to unload my old 3DS XL now :downs:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Andrast posted:

You still need to reformat it to FAT32.

If you put the new micro SD card (it must be the same capacity as the one in your old 3DS) into the New 3DS XL, and then run the system transfer, it formats it as far as I can tell from this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y88G3tp_f88

Put this in the OP thanks

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

If you put the new micro SD card (it must be the same capacity as the one in your old 3DS) into the New 3DS XL, and then run the system transfer, it formats it as far as I can tell from this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y88G3tp_f88

Put this in the OP thanks

SDXC won't be detected in the system. It has to be reformatted on the PC to FAT32.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I'm loving the poo poo out of my New 3DS. I can play in 3d without giving me headaches and actually prefer it most of the time.

Also, Majora's Mask is so loving great. I have been so tired of the standard Zelda formula and never played it before so this feels fantastic. I love how it's sort of a horror game at times. All the characters are great. I couldn't play the ocarina remake for more than 15 mins before being bored but this has me totally engrossed. It's an ace game for an ace system.

Also, Monster Hunter owns. Never played one before but I'm enjoying beating up dinosaurs with a big axe.

Hooray for a good system and good games.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Yeah I gave away all my Monster Hunter demo codes when I got them thinking I'd never play the game. Did the 3ds trade in at GameStop and they were sold out of Zelda so I picked it up on a whim. I am really surprised because I drained my battery playing nothing but it. Just killed the giant insect thing and it's been very fun so far.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I have a normal 3DS and I want to confirm for everone living in the USA that you screwed up and convinced Japan that you hate anything good. You just want to eat Mcdonalds and watch political commentary by Fox contributors on the biggest screens that are available.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Nolgthorn posted:

I have a normal 3DS and I want to confirm for everone living in the USA that you screwed up and convinced Japan that you hate anything good. You just want to eat Mcdonalds and watch political commentary by Fox contributors on the biggest screens that are available.

Uh, yeah and.......

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Nolgthorn posted:

They will have to answer to the wrath of all of my Club Nintendo surveys demanding the regular 3DS be brought to America.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice
Friend of mine got the new 3ds and sold me his original 3dsxl for cheap! It's in excellent condition too. Last time I got a Nintendo product was SNES (which I still have!)

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

bigmandan posted:

Friend of mine got the new 3ds and sold me his original 3dsxl for cheap! It's in excellent condition too. Last time I got a Nintendo product was SNES (which I still have!)

Pfft nobody cares about the 3dsxl anymore welcome to last weekend.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

Nolgthorn posted:

I"m glad you're happy with your Nintendo product. I am also happy with my larger Nintendo product.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

SDXC won't be detected in the system. It has to be reformatted on the PC to FAT32.

It can't save more than 32 GB so why would you get a card bigger than 32 GB??

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

noirstronaut posted:

They will have to answer to the wrath of all of my Club Nintendo surveys demanding the regular 3DS be brought to America.

That's why they shut Club Nintendo. Those bastards knew all along that we wouldn't stand for this :tinfoil:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It can't save more than 32 GB so why would you get a card bigger than 32 GB??

Ask the people who use them. I'm on 32GB myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Anybody grabbing or has grabbed a shell for the NEW 3DS? I'm paranoid about my luxury electronics :shobon: