Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

io_burn posted:

In discussions about video games I've learned to just assume everyone is so broke they're practically homeless. We could be talking a difference of close to six months of panhandling or allowance payments before being able to afford the difference between a new and old 3DS XL.

I could afford the New 3DS, I just don't really care about the features. I don't plan on buying Xenoblade since I own the Wii version and haven't gotten around to beating it.

I have doubts about Nintendo actually taking advantage of the improved hardware (see DSi shovelware), and while the nubstick would be useful for Monster Hunter, that's not really my series.

So while the price difference is small, I personally don't have a reason to spend the extra money.

Now I probably would have pulled the trigger if I could have gotten the Majora's Mask bundle. I love that purple finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I dont know if the n3ds is worth it for anyone who actually has an old one, because I didn't. If you are getting a 3ds for the first time tho its a good choice imho

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

:siren::siren:Updated the OP with corrections and suggestions from the thread, and the second post with some game recommendations. Feel free to make good game recommendations along with why its a good game that should be recommended and I'll paste it into the 2nd post:siren::siren:

It's worth mentioning that the region free hack thing doesn't work on New systems. Some homebrew works and custom themes work using Cubic Ninja but I think you need to not update for that. There are other weird exceptions to piracy backup and homebrew devices but that poo poo will develop in the coming months.

If you care about that stuff you should not update your system past firmware 9.2.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Annath posted:

I could afford the New 3DS, I just don't really care about the features. I don't plan on buying Xenoblade since I own the Wii version and haven't gotten around to beating it.

I have doubts about Nintendo actually taking advantage of the improved hardware (see DSi shovelware), and while the nubstick would be useful for Monster Hunter, that's not really my series.

So while the price difference is small, I personally don't have a reason to spend the extra money.

Now I probably would have pulled the trigger if I could have gotten the Majora's Mask bundle. I love that purple finish.

Uh... the Majora's Mask n3DSXL is a metallic gold.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Help Im Alive posted:

Can someone tell me what this thing is and why we don't get it

Motherfucker I want this to come out in the US yesterday.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Uh... the Majora's Mask n3DSXL is a metallic gold.

Huh? Then what am I thinking of...?

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Annath posted:

Huh? Then what am I thinking of...?

No clue, but the MMn3DS looks loving awful, don't buy it

Jadaris
May 9, 2003

I am Leto, Lion of Atreides
Man I spent like $200 on games after i got this thing and all I've done for the last 2 days is play Rusty's Real Deal Baseball what is wrong with me

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Haquer posted:

Agreed, the Monhun N3DS on the other hand is probably the best looking limited edition I've ever owned.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
So I'm about to go pick up my nu3DSXL. I should be able to bring it home, put the card in, do a transfer, and then hopefully take the old one back to the store to get the trade in value. Right?

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

quote:

So I'm about to go pick up my nu3DSXL. I should be able to bring it home, put the card in, do a transfer, and then hopefully take the old one back to the store to get the trade in value. Right?

noirstronaut posted:

Sell your 3DS XL on Craigslist.

Yeah, I was going to do the same thing until I realized you can get 120 dollars for your old 3DS Xl; with the added benefit of fingering Gamestop. Mine sold on Ebay in lass than a day.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Haquer posted:

Except it doesn't? It looks nicer than my LBW XL.

RadicalR posted:

Do the system transfer before swapping the SD cards.

Some Gamestops seem to be allowing what you're suggesting based on what people have been posting in the thread but YMMV.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Jadaris posted:

Man I spent like $200 on games after i got this thing and all I've done for the last 2 days is play Rusty's Real Deal Baseball what is wrong with me

Nothing, you're fine. Game on. :cool:

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
So game talk, I'm playing SMTIV, and I am aweful at it, I guess. I need to find Navarre and the hooded figures along the way are destroying me. I seem to do alright in the battle, and then they just lance crit my party dead in a turn. What am I supposed to be doing to counter that?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Night Blade posted:

Yeah, I was going to do the same thing until I realized you can get 120 dollars for your old 3DS Xl; with the added benefit of fingering Gamestop. Mine sold on Ebay in lass than a day.

the last thing i would ever want to do is finger anyone who works at gamestop

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes
Don't think I can recommend any 3ds games that haven't already been mentioned. Pokemon X/Y/ORAS, 3D Land, Bravely Default, SMTIV, Etrian Odyssey games, Link Between Worlds, Animal Crossing, Professor Layton games. Kid Icarus Uprising was fun, but the controlling it was awful and made my hands hurt.

I've really enjoyed discovering DS games, though. I never had a DS and I've been going through it's games and have found some really good ones.

Dragon Quest IV
Final Fantasy III (though you should just play Bravely Default instead)
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Chrono Trigger (never played the original, the port is very good)
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
SMT: Devil Survivor
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky
The World Ends with You

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Haquer posted:

Huh

What's this from?

E: drat tiny watermark :argh:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme posted:

Don't think I can recommend any 3ds games that haven't already been mentioned. Pokemon X/Y/ORAS, 3D Land, Bravely Default, SMTIV, Etrian Odyssey games, Link Between Worlds, Animal Crossing, Professor Layton games. Kid Icarus Uprising was fun, but the controlling it was awful and made my hands hurt.

I've really enjoyed discovering DS games, though. I never had a DS and I've been going through it's games and have found some really good ones.

Dragon Quest IV
The World Ends with You

Yeah I'd recommend Final Fantasy IV DS over III, and also SMT: Devil Survivor has an enhanced port for 3DS, so there's not much point in playing the original DS one.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Anora posted:

So game talk, I'm playing SMTIV, and I am aweful at it, I guess. I need to find Navarre and the hooded figures along the way are destroying me. I seem to do alright in the battle, and then they just lance crit my party dead in a turn. What am I supposed to be doing to counter that?

SMTIV just starts out really hard because you don't have a party full of demons. They hosed this up. You just have to make it out of that first short dungeon, and you'll be fine. Just make sure you recruit whichever demons you meet until you've got a full party.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

irlZaphod posted:

Yeah I'd recommend Final Fantasy IV DS over III, and also SMT: Devil Survivor has an enhanced port for 3DS, so there's not much point in playing the original DS one.

I did actually play FFIV, but didn't really enjoy it. In my opinion, the frame rate seemed to be really bad. I would recommend III over IV, but since Bravely Default is just a better version of FFIII, pretty much, that's the best choice.

Also, I didn't know Overclocked was a port of Devil Survivor, I thought it was like a sequel or something. Wish I had tried harder to find it. The DS version is still really good and if you can't find Overclocked, the original is good.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I have heard nothing but bad things about III.

Like the port just made it unfun garbage.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

So I just managed to talk my friend (who has a 3DSXL) out of buying a New, mostly through making him realize he didn't actually have any good reasons to get one now instead of waiting and trying to get one cheaper a bit later. I assume I am now to be shunned by this thread.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

:siren::siren:Updated the OP with corrections and suggestions from the thread, and the second post with some game recommendations. Feel free to make good game recommendations along with why its a good game that should be recommended and I'll paste it into the 2nd post:siren::siren:
That list lacks a few things so here's some. More later, maybe.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Nintendo decided to make a sequel to A Link to the Past and ended up making (opinions may vary) the best Zelda game since A LInk to the Past, some would argue even better than ALttP and the best Zelda game ever. But whatever the case, if you like Zelda at all, this is one game you can't miss, especially not if you have fond memories of ALttP. It's pretty much a distilled verion of the Zelda formula, being probably the least linear game in the series since the first Legend of Zelda. Did I mention that the 3D is fantastic? Because the 3D is fantastic.

Kid Icarus Uprising
21 years later a new Kid Icarus game was released and it was amazing. A third person action game split into air segments where you shoot enemies and land stages where you run around punching enemies, a complaint people might have about it is the controls, as you move with the circle pad and aim with the stylus. No, having a circle pad pro or New does not let you use dual stick aiming, the right stick does exactly the same thing the left one does. It's for left-handed people. The game came with a stand for the 3DS to rest on while playing, but no idea how available that is anymore.

But if you can accept the controls, you can get to experience a fantastic action game with a lot of stuff to do, many weapons to craft, a ton of challenges to clear (same challenge panel system as in Smash Bros - Uprising is also one of Sakurai's brainchildren) and the best dialogue on the 3DS. The conversations between Pit, Palutena and various other good and bad guys are unforgettable.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call
If you like rhythm games, you might have played the Ouendan games and Elite Beat Agents for the DS. While there's no Ouendan 3D, there's this. And it has enough content to keep you occupied forever. Over 200 songs on the cart itself to start with, and another 80+ to be had through DLC (as of February 2015, and they keep releasing more). Three types of stages that while all are played through tapping or holding or swiping on the touchscreen (doesn't matter where) at the correct time still actually makes it feel like slightly different kind of gameplay. Cute chibi FF characters to level up and assign skills and kill monsters and get loot. A Quest mode exists, but if you don't want to bother with the RPG elements, you can mostly ignore that completely and just play songs.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 17, 2015

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Kewpuh posted:

i guess the sdxc card i bought is just hosed because i've been trying to redownload all my games for a couple days now and the eshop keeps making GBS threads out error codes at me once i hit like 16gb on the sd card. trying one final hurrah with the full (overwrite) option with sdformatter and i guess if that doesnt work then yay

Where'd you buy the card from? A 64+ GB card acting up after 16 GB makes me think "counterfeit".

EDIT: One of these days I'm going to remember to check the current page indicator before replying to a post in this thread.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dragon Quest IV
The World Ends with You

Good list, Advance Wars is the only thing noticeably missing, to me anyway.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Chrono Trigger is the best JRPG you can buy on any console, even if you hate anime!

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

Also, I didn't know Overclocked was a port of Devil Survivor, I thought it was like a sequel or something. Wish I had tried harder to find it. The DS version is still really good and if you can't find Overclocked, the original is good.

Overclocked is regularly (like, twice per month) $15 on sale in the US eShop. You get that hott Midori voice acting action.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Dragon Quest IV
The World Ends with You

As mentioned, the DS Final Fantasy III is pretty garbage. Toss that off the list and add Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift instead.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

forbidden lesbian posted:

Good list, Advance Wars is the only thing noticeably missing, to me anyway.

I have not played it, so that'll be my next game to find

quote:

Final Fantasy III is garbage

I didn't think it was that bad, just grindy. Guess the masses have spoken though

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 15, 2015

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

I have heard nothing but bad things about III.

Like the port just made it unfun garbage.

No, it's just always been unfun garbage. V is basically III but better.

It's a shame they didn't remake that one.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Feel free to make good game recommendations along with why its a good game that should be recommended

Kid Icarus: Uprising is literally the best game on the system.

Anora posted:

It's been a while since I played through the intro dungeon of SMT4 but the general idea behind that game is abuse enemy weaknesses as much as possible. You get extra turns for hitting enemies with their weakness with a chance of that character getting a huge temporary hit/evasion/damage buff. The best strategy I've found is to strike first and make sure your enemies never live to see their first turn.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
Has there been any word on whether the Virtual Console selection will get any better with this new revision?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

I have not played it, so that'll be my next game to find

Depending on how much you liked Dawn of Sorrow I would also recommend finding Order of Ecclesia, I really like it (even more then Dawn) but I think it may have been a bit more polarizing.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Technogeek posted:

Where'd you buy the card from? A 64+ GB card acting up after 16 GB makes me think "counterfeit".

EDIT: One of these days I'm going to remember to check the current page indicator before replying to a post in this thread.

sandisk from amazon. ive bought a few others before and never had problems so i wouldnt expect this one to. the full overwrite finished in sdformatter this morning so theoretically its back to factory shipped default but of course i'm still getting eshop errors when trying to download poo poo. like this mh4u download gets to like 50% and then shits out, and the best part is that if i go to start it over, it starts back over from 0%. and this is with nothing being on the sdcard at this point

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i did the original transfer from old 3ds to this one, 5 or 6 of the games transferred over but the file size read 0 on them and they were greyed out. so either the card was hosed from the get-go or my 3ds is jacked up but i would doubt that

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

also with all of the downloading ive attempted to do, its really shown me just how lovely the wifi is on this thing. the highest speed i can get is like 1mbps but its never even steady at that, often dropping to like 500kbs

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

After playing MH4U for most of a day now I am really sad that I can't find a new 3dsxl anywhere in town, I need that camera control like yesterday :(

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

After playing MH4U for most of a day now I am really sad that I can't find a new 3dsxl anywhere in town, I need that camera control like yesterday :(

Just use the circle pad pro in the meantime. You should have already bought one for the previous monster hunter.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Just use the circle pad pro in the meantime. You should have already bought one for the previous monster hunter.

Nope, I had MH3U on the Wii U. (Still wish this one was on the Wii U, too.)

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
If anyone is still looking, I urge you to check Toys R Us. After looking at the websites for GameStop, Target, Walmart, and Best Buy, I discovered that there isn't a New 3DS XL within 45 minutes of me in any color. I had given up hope but then discovered that the closest Toys R Us had the black one listed in stock.

For a moment I thought that I wasted $200 upgrading from my XL but watching those Pikmin carry my data over during the system transfer made me realize this was the correct choice. I just have no clue what to do with my old XL. Selling it will probably be aggravating because it is missing some paint in one corner due to a drop. GameStop will give me $65 if I keep my charger, which is basically two games.

EDIT:

Ciaphas posted:

Did you check TRU? I just had some excellent luck there when everywhere else was sold out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

Nope, I had MH3U on the Wii U. (Still wish this one was on the Wii U, too.)

That sounds more like your fault for not owning it on both. Same with not reserving a new 3ds xl when you already new it was gonna own.