Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
OP, I have to tell you from experience that sniffing and observing a cat at the shelter is in no way indicitive of how a dog will react to a cat she will be sharing a home with 24/7. My cats now live upstairs and the dog downstairs with a gate inbetween because they are no longer safe, although it sure didn't seem like it at first!

I know the dog is cute and you fell for her but the hard truth is she is not a good fit for your family in several ways, I'm sorry :( I've had to back out of completing an adoption process before, once a dose of harsh reality and common sense hit and I stopped doing mental gymnastics over how I could make it work out. Broke my heart at the time but it was absolutely the right thing to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

posting a thread in PI, getting incredibly defensive, then racist and locking your own thread and running off like a baby.

a Good Decision.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Hey op. I adopted a dog too, nine and a half years ago. She was half-grown and weird looking but I knew she was a pit bull sort of dog. Later I learned she was a pit bull/shar pei mix.

She's really smart, responsive, and polite. She also has anxiety issues (including seperation anxiety). Like most shar pei and many shar pei mixes, she's usually standoffish at best with strangers, fearful at worst. She's moderately dog aggressive, although you wouldn't know it if you didn't have experience with DA dogs, as we've done a lot of training and she's happy to ignore most dogs. She has bilateral hip dysplasia, diagnosed when she was 7. When she was younger she had strong prey drive but it's mellowed out enough that we adopted a cat last year. I'd wanted a cat for years but I wanted both animals to be safe, so I held off. Despite all of this, she's an amazing dog and I never regret adopting her. Aside from a few issues, she's everything I like in a dog.

You can get the dog if you want, but you'll enjoy it a lot more if you're honest about its problems. The sooner you catch them, the better, because you can start working on them right away. Look into positive dog training methods, and not just the basic sit and stay stuff. Read about dog aggression, because the likelihood is that any pit or pit mix you adopt will have some degree of it. Think about what you're willing to try and work on if it comes up with this dog. If you can't deal with dog aggression, don't adopt a pit mix- it's okay to want a dog you can take to the dog park or to doggy daycare, but it probably won't be this dog.

Pits are great dogs for some people, and bad dogs for a lot of people. It's not through any fault of their own, it's because people expect unrealistic things from dogs, especially this breed.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

To be perfectly honest I've always been of the opinion in that it's all how you raise them. Yes drive is a thing but I don't really think that it's applicable here. I'm sure that the OP has considered all of the things that BWI and that uncouth Supercondescending (lol) have thought of and I bet that he's just really excited to bring his dog home. :3:

OP I hope that you and your brand new pet have a bunch of fun years together and I hope you don't get probated for this big misunderstanding. This seems so silly to me. Maybe Super's just had a really bad day, or something's up and she doesn't really mean it all that way. :) PI is a cool place to ask stuff about pets and you totally should keep this thread open.

While I usually prefer to buy my dogs, I think rescuing is a great thing to do too and I'm happy that you did it. I think that you should post more pics of the dog and cat together after they have time to bond. Maybe they could have a neat thread like Tycho and Refurb do.

Puppies. Rainbows. Kittens. Okinawa.

:japan: :love:

It's 2015 and Fluffy Bunnies still gives me gas and heartburn :love:

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
I was hanging out in GBS and heard a bunch of screaming and yelling over here, hope that probation helps that guy calm down

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

gnarlyhotep posted:

I was hanging out in GBS and heard a bunch of screaming and yelling over here, hope that probation helps that guy calm down

thanks for swinging by, while you are here, please enjoy our wide selection of animal pictures.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

wtftastic posted:

thanks for swinging by, while you are here, please enjoy our wide selection of animal pictures.

I heard there's a wild creature running around here now and again. In the wilds of PI you can hear an echo of "my nam LIZZY" screeched across the innocent land.

It draws closer :ohdear: The apocolyPIse clock ticks another minute.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I heard there's a wild creature running around here now and again. In the wilds of PI you can hear an echo of "my nam LIZZY" screeched across the innocent land.

It draws closer :ohdear: The apocolyPIse clock ticks another minute.

Oh my god, when you finally do this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUGZoG9KPnY

lizzy my lizzy :swoon:

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Superconsndar posted:

where is the Like button for this post

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Superconsndar posted:

Me? Look, Super, I think you're very nice and all but I also think that you might be having a problem remembering who I am. I don't do terrible things, I just try to help people out and make them happy. Unfortunately that makes me public enemy number 1 I guess a lot off site but that's okay. :) I don't mind it so much because as long as people are happy otherwise that's what matters.

:ohdear: Maybe you don't agree but I'm trying to upset you either.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Do you remember how we used to breathe and watch it
and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

OP, in case you come back to this thread, GET SOMETHING IN WRITING ABOUT THE HEARTWORM TREATMENT! My parents were screwed when they adopted a dog a few years ago with demodectic mange that the shelter was supposed to keep treating. Heartworm is VERY. VERY EXPENSIVE to treat!

I also don't think it's a wise idea to get a dog that violates your lease, but it should be easy enough to say she's a boxer mix. AFAIK most landlords just go off whatever the adoption papers or vet

Everyone else who said the shelter should have looked at his lease: Is that typical? I adopted my cat from a shelter and they took my word for it when I said I owned my home. I walked out with the cat that day. I have no experience adopting dogs. Maybe the requirements are different for dogs because dogs tend to be banned from housing a lot more?

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 19, 2015

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Honestly when I was renting and still gave a crap about adopting shelter dogs I just got around the whole hassle by saying I owned my house and putting down my parents address. I specifically avoided rescues that went in depth though because Leave Me Alone. A lot of the kill shelters around here ask you absolutely zero questions and just scan a copy of your driver's license and give you whichever dog you want. They don't have the resources to follow up and are pretty much just glad to see a dog leave alive.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Superconsndar posted:

Honestly when I was renting and still gave a crap about adopting shelter dogs I just got around the whole hassle by saying I owned my house and putting down my parents address. I specifically avoided rescues that went in depth though because Leave Me Alone. A lot of the kill shelters around here ask you absolutely zero questions and just scan a copy of your driver's license and give you whichever dog you want. They don't have the resources to follow up and are pretty much just glad to see a dog leave alive.

Yeah, that's how I ended up with Beck. You go to a county animal shelter, pay <$50 and sign a thing saying you'll get them neutered before [date], and walk out with a dog. The tradeoff is the shelter knows next to nothing about any of the animals coming in, and you won't have much chance to interact with them beyond petting through a gate. You can find some very interesting dogs this way!

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

I had showed up with some paperwork I had from when I bought the home like the warranty deed and some other things, all in a nice black folder, and I asked if they wanted to see it. They looked at me like I had two heads.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Wheats posted:

Yeah, that's how I ended up with Beck. You go to a county animal shelter, pay <$50 and sign a thing saying you'll get them neutered before [date], and walk out with a dog. The tradeoff is the shelter knows next to nothing about any of the animals coming in, and you won't have much chance to interact with them beyond petting through a gate. You can find some very interesting dogs this way!

Yup. We adopted most of our dogs from the same local kill shelter when I was growing up and I adopted a couple from there as an adult. You're literally not allowed to take the dog out of the run, you can pet it through the chain link and either adopt it or not. Even if they have background on the dog from intake records, it's "confidential" and they usually won't give it to you. You get a surprise!!

Now i just buy the dogs I want from breeders and everybody wins

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

well I WAS real surprised when her hind legs started falling off

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

I thought shelters are required to disclose any known bite history because of liability.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Probably I dunno

When I got talked into bailing Griff out they WERE real up front about what little they knew about her behavior but she wasn't a dog that would have ever been on the adoption floor and the only reason she wasn't already euthed was because the crazies wouldn't stop screaming. She didn't have an official bite history though, she was just real nuts.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

DON'T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER DOGS DIE.

I adopted my dog from a very nice well funded SPCA and he had a variety of fun issues that were never disclosed because they just tried but didnt have time and resources to know everything.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

The key word is "known". A lot of the animals come in as strays or surrenders. Many dog owners might not disclose a bite to the shelter for fear that the dog will be put down right away or not put in the adoption kennels. Maybe they think some magic will happen and the dog won't bite the next owner?

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 19, 2015

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Pixelated Dragon posted:

The key word is "known". A lot of the animals come in as strays or surrenders. Many dog owners might not disclose a bite to the shelter for fear that the dog will be put down right away or not put in the adoption kennels. Maybe they think some magic will happen and the dog won't bite the next owner?

Yup, exactly. That's why I always tell people to be so over the top careful when bringing in shitbulls of unknown breeding (I mean it applies to any dog honestly, but here is one who is very very very very likely to be predisposed to behaviors that may be hard for a new owner to detect and even harder to manage) because it's such a crap shoot, and there are so many easier and safer breed choices when you've got a cat and a kid and are renting.

Edit: That isn't to say that no one with a cat and a kid should ever get a pit bull, just if you're dead set on going the rescue route it's prob way safer to go through a rescue that is knowledgeable about bully breeds and tests and evaluates the poo poo out of them before placement.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

I'm leery of rescuing a dog from a shelter because of that poo poo. My husband and I are thinking about getting a dog. It worked out for my parents and a beagle mix they adopted. She has some separation anxiety issues but she's very gentle towards other people, children, and even my cat. They're urging me to also rescue through a shelter or HS or SPCA because there are so many innocent lives that need to be saved! I have a cat and we're hoping to start trying to conceive in three years. I'm not sure getting a dog now is a good idea, let alone a dog of unknown behavior.

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 19, 2015

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

I think you're smart for being leery; I'd go with a humane society or private rescue with an adoption protocol that you feel comfortable with. If you want a dog whose behavior has been thoroughly vetted and who you know will be the right match for you there's absolutely nothing wrong with being firm with your parents about it. It's called "being responsible and realistic." You're still giving a homeless dog a home and "saving" one, just in a way that is less likely to also potentially screw you over by being a poor match.

The best dog I ever owned came from a kill shelter. So did the worst dog I ever owned. It can work amazingly and it can also end in blood and tears.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I think rescuing dogs is great. I have two rescues, one of them from el paso and one of them from the mean streets of Okinawa Japan that we got while we lived in Japan.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Superconsndar posted:

I think you're smart for being leery; I'd go with a humane society or private rescue with an adoption protocol that you feel comfortable with. If you want a dog whose behavior has been thoroughly vetted and who you know will be the right match for you there's absolutely nothing wrong with being firm with your parents about it. It's called "being responsible and realistic." You're still giving a homeless dog a home and "saving" one, just in a way that is less likely to also potentially screw you over by being a poor match.

The best dog I ever owned came from a kill shelter. So did the worst dog I ever owned. It can work amazingly and it can also end in blood and tears.

My parents think that getting a dog from a froufrou rescue is not REALLY rescuing a dog because it's already been pulled from the kill shelters and likely living in a foster home. I don't care. I want peace of mind. I don't want to have to return a dog to a kill shelter after a week or four years because it attacked my child or my cat.

Interestingly, so many of the dogs that the private rescues are trying to adopt out are pulled from the shelters in the south. They don't seem to pull from any of the kill shelters are local to this area. I find this really weird.

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 19, 2015

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
I got both of mine from the local shelter and they have been great dogs and friends for 10 years now (well, 9 for Peanut, she passed away of old age last year). Sailor is still with me and I would absolutely adopt from the shelter again.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Pixelated Dragon posted:

My parents think that getting a dog from a froufrou rescue is not REALLY rescuing a dog because it's already been pulled from the kill shelters and likely living in a foster home. I don't care. I want peace of mind. I don't want to have to return a dog to a kill shelter after a week or four years because it attacked my child or my cat.

Interestingly, so many of the dogs that the froufrou rescues are trying to adopt out are pulled from the shelters in the south. They don't seem to pull from any of the kill shelters are local to this area. I find this really weird.
Explain to them that by adopting from the froufrou rescue you make space for another dog from the kill shelter.

I don't really love the term kill shelter anyway though. All shelters kill, some just do it with a closed door policy.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Of the 6 or 7 dogs I've dealt/lived with that have come from kill shelters (going from childhood to now) I've only dealt with one broken one, and one that didn't work out just because it was a poor breed choice for our family and we didn't know better, so I guess the odds worked out alright for us. I still think it's totally fine to go the snooty private rescue route if it makes you more comfortable though.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Slugworth posted:

Explain to them that by adopting from the froufrou rescue you make space for another dog from the kill shelter.

I don't really love the term kill shelter anyway though. All shelters kill, some just do it with a closed door policy.

The local shelter that works with our county would be considered either limited kill or no kill. The waiting list to surrender an animal is several months long. The way their lobby is set up makes it easy to just leave animals in the front vestibule. The people at the front desk cannot fully see the vestibule from the desk. This happens all the time. People are always dumping boxes of kittens or plopping down a cat carrier or quickly trapping a dog in there. There are TONS of stray cats all over this area. I wonder what the shelter does with the animals that are just left there.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Personally I think all shelter animals should be set on fire and shot into the sun cuddlehugged so hard.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
OP basically ate up all the rescue mommy bullshit they feed to the public and when faced with real facts had a total meltdown. I know someone with a pit bull shelter rescue and he knows and is aware of what his dog his capable of and the exercise it needs and the dog is kept separate from the cat. He also has no kids.

Adopt the dog, put doggles on it and parade it around while letting your 4 year old ride on it's back and giggle at the the obvious warning signs the dog is giving your kid when the kid inevitably invades its space. Then when your kid gets bit scream about how it was such a great dog and it was just oh so random of a bite!

And we will be here still dog spergin.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Sorry we didn't pat you on the head! Also we didn't use enough exclamation points!!! To show how hugboxy we are!

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

I swear to god next time anyone gets a stick up their butt at me for snooting about rescue pit owners I'm gonna link them this. Every time. Forever.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta

Pixelated Dragon posted:

Interestingly, so many of the dogs that the private rescues are trying to adopt out are pulled from the shelters in the south. They don't seem to pull from any of the kill shelters are local to this area. I find this really weird.

I volunteer at a private shelter in a wealthy suburban neighborhood and the reason we pull so many dogs from the south and Puerto Rico is because they have adoptable animals that are not pit bulls. City shelters where I am are almost entirely populated with pit bulls and the people that live in this suburb don't adopt them, they want kid-friendly dogs that they can take to the park.

Pixelated Dragon posted:

I wonder what the shelter does with the animals that are just left there.

Every so often someone leaves a dog tied to the front door overnight and if there is no space or the dog doesn't suit our intake parameters (basically no DA/HA, no breeds banned by homeowner's insurance policies) then it goes to the city shelter.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

demozthenes posted:

I volunteer at a private shelter in a wealthy suburban neighborhood and the reason we pull so many dogs from the south and Puerto Rico is because they have adoptable animals that are not pit bulls. City shelters where I am are almost entirely populated with pit bulls and the people that live in this suburb don't adopt them, they want kid-friendly dogs that they can take to the park.

Every so often someone leaves a dog tied to the front door overnight and if there is no space or the dog doesn't suit our intake parameters (basically no DA/HA, no breeds banned by homeowner's insurance policies) then it goes to the city shelter.

That makes sense. Most of them are houndy mixes.

The county SPCA is basically the city shelter that serves the entire county. The cities here aren't really big enough to have their own shelters. It became a no kill facility a few years ago and every now and then they mobilize people into making donations or adopting animals by threatening to go back to being a kill shelter again. When animal control in one of the cities catches a stray dog and can't find the owner, the dog goes to this SPCA so I wonder what they do when they find animals that were dumped in the vestibule or tied up after hours. There's nowhere else they can take them and there's a reason the waiting list to surrender an animal is roughly 4 to 6 months.

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 19, 2015

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Oh wow that dude adopting the dog's thread has a hundred new posts. I hope everything's oka

:captainpop:

Ponyfields
Nov 2, 2011
That... was loving beautiful.

Mofette
Jan 9, 2004

Hey you! It's the sound, in your head goes round and round

But there wasn't even a forehead joke?

Nookovian-Red
Sep 13, 2002
I WILL NOT CLOSE THREAD IN Serious Hardware / Software Crap

Superconsndar posted:

I swear to god next time anyone gets a stick up their butt at me for snooting about rescue pit owners I'm gonna link them this. Every time. Forever.

I like the part where the OP gets probated in his thread where he's sincerely asking for real advice. Advice he was getting from actual qualified people with real experience with his situation. That is until you decided to waltz in with your ignorant and obviously prejudiced shitposts. Trolling in Pet Island, really?

Now you're rolling around mirthfully in your own poo poo, proud of how you've manipulated a mod to probate someone who just wanted some information?

What the gently caress happened to Pet Island. Has it really fallen this far?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an expert
Jul 18, 2011

so like are we going to get pizza or what?

• Locked thread