Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta

Pixelated Dragon posted:

My parents think that getting a dog from a froufrou rescue is not REALLY rescuing a dog because it's already been pulled from the kill shelters and likely living in a foster home. I don't care. I want peace of mind. I don't want to have to return a dog to a kill shelter after a week or four years because it attacked my child or my cat.

Interestingly, so many of the dogs that the private rescues are trying to adopt out are pulled from the shelters in the south. They don't seem to pull from any of the kill shelters are local to this area. I find this really weird.

I volunteer at a private shelter in a wealthy suburban neighborhood and the reason we pull so many dogs from the south and Puerto Rico is because they have adoptable animals that are not pit bulls. City shelters where I am are almost entirely populated with pit bulls and the people that live in this suburb don't adopt them, they want kid-friendly dogs that they can take to the park.

Pixelated Dragon posted:

I wonder what the shelter does with the animals that are just left there.

Every so often someone leaves a dog tied to the front door overnight and if there is no space or the dog doesn't suit our intake parameters (basically no DA/HA, no breeds banned by homeowner's insurance policies) then it goes to the city shelter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta

text editor posted:

The best reason to adopt from a kill shelter has nothing to do with a chance to save a furbaby from death, the best reason to choose to adopt from a kill shelter is that nokill shelters are exclusively run by people with their heads v far up their own rear end

No way, the best reason to adopt from a kill shelter is because the adoption fee is going to be something like 10% of what you'd pay at a private rescue.

• Locked thread