Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

corn in the bible posted:

Some might see them as a bunch of hacks, but I think they're great. Here's one of their managers' responses to someone sending them hate mail about their ripoff movies:

"Yeah, well we keep a bunch of people employed and can sell our lovely movies to TV networks for a profit, so there!"
I'm sure there's a worse justification for making terrible movies, but I certainly can't think of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Random Stranger posted:

I'd never call Death Race 2000 good, but it definitely succeeded by diving straight into the most audacious aspects of the concept and running with them. Sharknado reached for some of those, but most of the running time was just milling around.

Sharknado is a good film to dissect what is wrong with Asylum because it's the one that comes closest to succeeding. But how much of the running time is spent on driving around LA? Not only can they not effectively show driving around LA during a hurricane, in huge chunks of the movie they don't even try and just have their cast standing around in sunny southern California day. Classic low budget men would go, "We can't do a lot of exterior shooting so let's put as much of this action indoors as possible." Asylum just goes, "gently caress it. Who cares. We've made our money already."

And Sharknado 2 might as well just be 2 hours of the actors mugging at the camera because they're "in on the joke" this time.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Simplex posted:

I don't really see what makes their movies particularly heartless or soulless. They are cynically trying to make a buck by ripping off other movies that likewise were cynically trying to make a buck. I'm finding more and more that sometimes I prefer the asylum version, as at least they tend to have fun with the concept in their movies

I think that's where you differ from most people, because Asylum movies are worse than merely being bad, they're utterly charmless and boring.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

That's not exactly a high bar to clear, Snakes on a Plane itself could have easily been an Asylum movie.

• Locked thread